Who's Carrying Today

Horn_Spanker

My shooting range sent me an email that says it's a Labor Day special (which they've never done in the past) but I suspect it's to take advantage of all the free marketing press about the Sept. 1 carry law going into effect (I know it doesn't cover this kind of weapon).......

Buy one AR-15, get another one free. 

Didn't realize I was shooting with the kind of people that think, "I don't need an assault rifle but at these prices, I'm practically making money on the deal."  

My weapon has a modified grip and backstrap because my hands are larger than most (about 11").  None of the places in Austin have holsters that can fit it, or the ones that can look like shit.  Not gonna shop for one online, that's something you gotta get a physical feel for.  Anybody got any recs?  

In honor of this thread, I actually did clean my weapon this morning (it was due).  Now it's back up where it belongs, where nobody can find it (even me sometimes).  And I'm about to start day-drinking for our KICKOFF!  Woo-hoo, Gameday Bitches!  

No CR/ but I was told that Biden's America would mean block-to-block urban warfare.  And then I was told this open carry law under Abbott would mean we'd have to shoot our way to Trader Joe's every Saturday.  Turns out, like most things in America...all is relatively sane and peaceful.  But yeah, the truly stupid will always find a way to fuck it up.  Until then, who wants a bloody mary?  GAMEDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

4 days in. The sun came up.  Is everyone still alive?

12 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I’m working outside this morning.   I’ve not had to dodge a single stray bullet from the open warfare in the streets.  

It’s a wee bit early in the game to be pointing to the scoreboard. 

I, for one, am quite terrified.

I just know that since it's now legal many criminals who previously didn't carry guns due to it being illegal are now packing heat.

I also know that many lawful, upstanding gun owners who previously did not carry their firearms, will now begin to do so.  I feel there is a very high chance they will decide to become murderers due to the easy access to their guns.

I mean they could have decided to become homicidal maniacs previously using their vehicles for instance.  But we all know since guns are made to kill having a gun causes one's homicidal tendencies to grow exponentially.

We should just ban all guns because if they're illegal our murder rates will nearly drop to zero.  All this talk of self defense is not only ridiculous, but with guns outlawed there won't be any need.

We'll all live in a crime-free utopia once there are no evil, murderous guns around.

Ban guns!  Ban crime!  It'll be paradise!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Somnio said:

I, for one, am quite terrified.

I just know that since it's now legal many criminals who previously didn't carry guns due to it being illegal are now packing heat.

I also know that many lawful, upstanding gun owners who previously did not carry their firearms, will now begin to do so.  I feel there is a very high chance they will decide to become murderers due to the easy access to their guns.

I mean they could have decided to become homicidal maniacs previously using their vehicles for instance.  But we all know since guns are made to kill having a gun causes one's homicidal tendencies to grow exponentially.

We should just ban all guns because if they're illegal our murder rates will nearly drop to zero.  All this talk of self defense is not only ridiculous, but with guns outlawed there won't be any need.

We'll all live in a crime-free utopia once there are no evil, murderous guns around.

Ban guns!  Ban crime!  It'll be paradise!

🎶Down the road aways I’ve heard say

A new day’s coming on 

Where the women folks are friendly

And the law leaves you alone🎶

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

You’re hoping, aren’t you?

Of course not. I don’t give a shit about being right. I hope no one ever gets hurt. I just know the majority of humans are simpletons who can’t regulate their emotions and we as species have a couple thousand year history of violence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not gonna like to you man.  I have no fucking idea what anything you just typed means in English.  And I'm known for not making any sense.  

"Friend, you are printing hard."  

Scholars maintain the translation was lost to time.

Edited by Lobo

My shooting range sent me an email that says it's a Labor Day special (which they've never done in the past) but I suspect it's to take advantage of all the free marketing press about the Sept. 1 carry law going into effect (I know it doesn't cover this kind of weapon).......
Buy one AR-15, get another one free. 
Didn't realize I was shooting with the kind of people that think, "I don't need an assault rifle but at these prices, I'm practically making money on the deal."  
My weapon has a modified grip and backstrap because my hands are larger than most (about 11").  None of the places in Austin have holsters that can fit it, or the ones that can look like shit.  Not gonna shop for one online, that's something you gotta get a physical feel for.  Anybody got any recs?  

GT?

What gun?

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Printing = the outline of your gun is easily seen over your clothes to anyone who is paying attention. I assume printing hard is a polite way of saying "hey idiot, when you raise your hands up in the air your shirt lifts up enough for everyone to see the gun stuck inside your waistband."

Ding, ding, ding.  

Ah, gotcha.  I don't know the street lingo that pervades the white youth soccer community.  ;)

I would have gone with something like, "Hey asshole, it's a kids' soccer game...not bloods versus crypts.  Put it back in the trunk."  But I'm no diplomat.  

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Seems like this particular article included some extraneous information that didn't necessarily apply to the incident.  While it is true that this occurred shortly after permitless carry became effective, nothing in the article indicates the victim/shooter lacked a permit.

Crazy, I know, that Fox News would choose to highlight the potentially coincidental nature of the timing of this incident and implementation of the new law rather than simply report the news.

Printing = the outline of your gun is easily seen over your clothes to anyone who is paying attention. I assume printing hard is a polite way of saying "hey idiot, when you raise your hands up in the air your shirt lifts up enough for everyone to see the gun stuck inside your waistband."

First part is correct, but your assumption is wrong. Printing has nothing to do in regards to your weapon showing if you lift your shirt up.

Printing is only being able to determine a handgun lingers underneath your clothing.

39 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

First part is correct, but your assumption is wrong. Printing has nothing to do in regards to your weapon showing if you lift your shirt up.

Printing is only being able to determine a handgun lingers underneath your clothing.

Correct.  Anyone can see anything if your shirt is raised above your waistline.  Printing is literally the outline of the gun, or it's imprint, against the wearers clothing.  It's just sloppy concealment.  Some people get tied up into knots over what the definition of "concealed" means (ie., illegal to have partially concealed carry), but that is for another day.  

Look, for a lot of people carrying...halter top season is coming to an end (typically the Autumnal Equinox), and so you'll be seeing more 'concealed' weapons reveal themselves during this initial craze after the bill's implementation.  

Went and shot today at lone star Range and academy in Florence. Did a lot of trigger work and it helped.

Small place and the RSO actually will work with you while your shooting. The owner yesterday (rifles yesterday, pistols today) sat down and shot with me. He’s a marine sniper so that was fun.

If you haven’t been, give it a try. It’s not fancy, but I like it.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Anyone own a LCP Max?  Thought I wanted a regular LCP, but man, the Max feels so much better.  Same footprint, but hold four more rounds.  But, $120 more.

I’ve been pocket carrying my LCP for 13 years. Never had a malfunction, but am going to buy a Max soon. Bud’s has them reasonably priced:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/138984/ruger+lcp+max+380+blued+275in+10rd

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I’ve been pocket carrying my LCP for 13 years. Never had a malfunction, but am going to buy a Max soon. Bud’s has them reasonably priced:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/138984/ruger+lcp+max+380+blued+275in+10rd

something about that kimber that i really like!

15 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Small place and the RSO actually will work with you while your shooting. The owner yesterday (rifles yesterday, pistols today) sat down and shot with me. He’s a marine sniper so that was fun.

If you haven’t been, give it a try. It’s not fancy, but I like it.

I've seen that movie

4sdA.gif5kst.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
1 hour ago, Armybrat said:
True, but they are not target pistols. Not much good for anything more than 10 yatds,
I just saw one in the display case at Academy - $379.99. 
Just might go back to get one.
Did buy 4 boxes of 9mm 115 gr range ammo @$19.99/box.

Academy had ammo?

About 25 boxes of this 9mm and a dozen 200 round boxes of 5.56.

Cedar Park store on 1431

image.jpg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/2/2021 at 11:42 AM, RomaVicta said:

It's nuts. I don't care if some people want to own guns. I don't like being surrounded by armed fantasists itching to deem someone "bad" and open up.

Quoting oneself is bad form, but I don't think I'm clear in the above. 

I'm being literal when I say I don't care if some people want to own guns. Ownership of guns is fine. I have my mother's S&W .38. I don't like the rules that flood people around me who armed. I have predictable problems with assault rifles and all that, but I really have just been bugged by my meaning being unclear.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Quoting oneself is bad form, but I don't think I'm clear in the above. 

I'm being literal when I say I don't care if some people want to own guns. Ownership of guns is fine. I have my mother's S&W .38. I don't like the rules that flood people around me who armed. I have predictable problems with assault rifles and all that, but I really have just been bugged by my meaning being unclear.

I've read this a few times, and I feel like y'all after I just posted something. What does this mean?

My point was larger than this law. It's the gun culture itself that is a sickness. Not ownership of guns. The bizarre culture we as a country have built around them.
I preferred a time when I wasn't in a crowd of people all possessed of lethal capabilities. It's a pathology. I'm not qualified to diagnose it, but one might guess it's founded in needless insecurity.

You are in luck in my world! My guns won’t kill you unless you breach my household.

I just checked again….nope, they didn’t act on their own and kill people. They continue sitting in my safe.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

That's a fancy way of saying you don't want the poors (minorities) to have the same rights as those of us who can afford to go through a little extra trouble.

I guess drivers ed and a drivers license requirement is designed to keep the poors (minorities) off the road so those of us who can afford it have less traffic to deal with.  It doesn’t seem to be working in Houston

• Hook 'Em 1