Game Week, Rice edition

Wulaw Horn

It bothered me watching ULaLa run straight through our DL. I rationalized my expectations about the DL because I assumed that ULaLa was a top 25 team and had a good OL and RB, yada yada yada. We talked before the game about their "tiny" center and how he was going to be abused by our stout DL of big hungry stalwarts ready to eat his lunch. But during the game, it seemed like our middle was giving up the most yards. Oh well, we won and looked decent doing it.

BUT

My immediate reaction upon watching the first quarter against Arkansas on O was...uh oh.

I knew that our O was a work in progress because of the OL but figured we'd see some early screen passes to Bijan to keep their defense honest. I don't remember seeing any of those plays and apologize in advance if I am wrong.

However, I expected the Defense to be a strong point of the team this year and specifically, that sure we'd give up the edge, but they wouldn't be able to run the ball down our middle, for sure. It really didn't look all that different from the ULaLa game. 

What was once thought to be a strength of this team is just flat out not. Unless there are some changes to the scheme/personnel I have a seriously bad feeling about this year. I know the "Show Me A Loss" crowd was bullish on the D but it does not look close to being serviceable at the moment. I know it's early and shit can get fixed, but all the off season kool-aid has turned sour in the blink of an eye.

I'll be at the Rice game and want to see this team in person, root them on and hope they can fix shit quick. Sark deserves more time for sure, but not getting up for the Arkansas game is like not getting up for the OU game. Like, wtf? How do they not understand this?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's nothing like that at all but whatever. Keep writing 600 word posts about shit that we are trying to put behind us this weekend. 

337, but who's counting.

They came out flat, no? I would love to move on, but this team just won't let us.

I'll be watching our DL during the Rice game for the same issues as they've had for the last two games. I'm not certain how the coaches fix soft and malleable players, but I guess we'll see.

7 minutes ago, Droopy said:

337, but who's counting.

They came out flat, no? I would love to move on, but this team just won't let us.

I'll be watching our DL during the Rice game for the same issues as they've had for the last two games. I'm not certain how the coaches fix soft and malleable players, but I guess we'll see.

Yeah I counted it after the fact as well. The fact that I'm on the right side of 300 should tell you to chill. 

And I guess the rest of your comment is you attempting to deflect what I addressed? Arkansas is nothing like OU. I will not be worried about Sark coaching the OU game until he coaches an OU game. There is nothing like it on our schedule or on any other schedule in the country. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Yeah I counted it after the fact as well. The fact that I'm on the right side of 300 should tell you to chill. 

And I guess the rest of your comment is you attempting to deflect what I addressed? Arkansas is nothing like OU. I will not be worried about Sark coaching the OU game until he coaches an OU game. There is nothing like it on our schedule or on any other schedule in the country. 

I disagree, but fair enough. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

I get the PTSD re: TCU but I was at the Cal-TCU game on Saturday...TCU's defense fucking sucks.  Cal's noodle armed QB rolled them for bomb after bomb downfield.  PFF had it as his highest rated game in his 5 years at Cal.  Not a single guy on their D impressed me.  Zach Evans can ball but until Cal's D wilted in the heat, the Frog O didn't do shit.
So yeah, TCU...
f1022d6f-0f69-40d6-83e0-0a662aaf9a4a_text.gif

This post gets made every year, and every year Patterson punks Texas. Some of y’all never learn.

14 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This post gets made every year, and every year Patterson punks Texas. Some of y’all never learn.

Well shit, I guess we shouldn’t even play it then.  My bad, if you could get the number for the sprained pussy clinic off your speed dial, I’d be grateful

• Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Droopy said:

However, I expected the Defense to be a strong point of the team this year and specifically, that sure we'd give up the edge, but they wouldn't be able to run the ball down our middle, for sure. It really didn't look all that different from the ULaLa game. 

Yeah, all the "dominating DL" chatter from $9.95'ers was clearly an overreaction from watching them against an absolute dogshit OL.   How bad each of those units are relative to expectations (strength of team on D and "average" on the OL side) completely adjusts expectations.  Sure they can improve but how much?  Not good. 

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, all the "dominating DL" chatter from $9.95'ers was clearly an overreaction from watching them against an absolute dogshit OL.   How bad each of those units are relative to expectations (strength of team on D and "average" on the OL side) completely adjusts expectations.  Sure they can improve but how much?  Not good. 

You'd kind of think good football coaches could see beyond the in-practice matchups and detect that a) the OL sucks and b) therefore the DL isn't that good and that you therefore have an ouroboros of suck that doesn't seem as bad as it is.  Because it seems that it wasn't just 9.95ers that were deceived.

But maybe that's harder than we nabobs think.

Edited by TwiceHorn

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

You'd kind of think good football coaches could see beyond the in-practice matchups and detect that a) the OL sucks and b) therefore the DL isn't that good and that you therefore have an ouroboros of suck that doesn't seem as bad as it is.  Because it seems that it wasn't just 9.95ers that were deceived.

But maybe that's harder than we nabobs think.

The DL was pretty good last year.   The incoming coaches did an anti-Tom Herman and studied film on the team, at least Sark said he did.  There were times where the DTs were very disruptive.  For the most part they were going against the same OL in practice both years.   Their DTs suckitude is a legit surprise.  

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The DL was pretty good last year.   The incoming coaches did an anti-Tom Herman and studied film on the team, at least Sark said he did.  There were times where the DTs were very disruptive.  For the most part they were going against the same OL in practice both years.   Their DTs suckitude is a legit surprise.  

I wonder how much of that was having to account for Ossai on the edge.  We went from an elite Edge rusher to essentially no threat at the moment.  Ossai's loss is looming larger than expected.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

lol I’m so glad your a hulking alpha that can will the team to victory!

I'm not usually, I just find the "oh my gawd its TEECEEYOU" fear to be so dumb this year.  Yes, they've had us down for the last decade but Charlie, Tom and their G5 coaching staffs arent here anymore.  Did we just shit the bed against Arky?  Yes, absolutely.  Will the atmosphere at TCU be similar?  Yes but on a smaller scale.  Is the jury still out on Sark and Co.?  Yes it is.

But I am not ready to think that all is lost before its played, especially since I just saw TCU try its best to lose against a Cal team that doesn't have a single player that could crack Texas's starting lineup (probably...maybe at rush LB but even then...).  Sark is on a different level as an offensive coach compared to Musgrave.  PK is miles better than Sirmon at defense.  Cal's OL sucks but TCU had almost no pressure on the QB but their starting RB, who would struggle to crack Texas's 4 deep, ran for 5 a carry and 2 TDs.  Cal's WRs are average and the QB cant throw deep yet he rained 30+ yard passes over the top of the TCU DBs, none of whom looked good (Tomlinson was ok but the other CB and the safeties are shit).  Offensively, Duggan is Duggan (good runner, inconsistent passer) but he has a weak to okish OL, 1 decent to good WR, a couple of OK WRs and a great RB in Evans.  With that said, a solid but unspectacular Cal D had them bottled up for 29 minutes before a flukey long TD by Evans where a frosh LB in there because of injuries got caught out of position right before half took some wind out of the sails.  2nd half, TCU ran it down Cal's throat and the afternoon heat sucked the life out of them and they folded. That wont happen against Texas IMO. And Cal still almost won the game and should've except their coaching staff completely shit the bed chasing points all game.

Bottom line, if Texas loses to TCU, I'm off the Sark train and telling him to fuck back off to Southern California.  Sure, I saw 1 game blah blah but this is not a typical Patterson TCU defense, they are not good.  Texas should win this game by 2 TDs

2 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

I'm not usually, I just find the "oh my gawd its TEECEEYOU" fear to be so dumb this year.  Yes, they've had us down for the last decade but Charlie, Tom and their G5 coaching staffs arent here anymore.  Did we just shit the bed against Arky?  Yes, absolutely.  Will the atmosphere at TCU be similar?  Yes but on a smaller scale.  Is the jury still out on Sark and Co.?  Yes it is.

But I am not ready to think that all is lost before its played, especially since I just saw TCU try its best to lose against a Cal team that doesn't have a single player that could crack Texas's starting lineup (probably...maybe at rush LB but even then...).  Sark is on a different level as an offensive coach compared to Musgrave.  PK is miles better than Sirmon at defense.  Cal's OL sucks but TCU had almost no pressure on the QB but their starting RB, who would struggle to crack Texas's 4 deep, ran for 5 a carry and 2 TDs.  Cal's WRs are average and the QB cant throw deep yet he rained 30+ yard passes over the top of the TCU DBs, none of whom looked good (Tomlinson was ok but the other CB and the safeties are shit).  Offensively, Duggan is Duggan (good runner, inconsistent passer) but he has a weak to okish OL, 1 decent to good WR, a couple of OK WRs and a great RB in Evans.  With that said, a solid but unspectacular Cal D had them bottled up for 29 minutes before a flukey long TD by Evans where a frosh LB in there because of injuries got caught out of position right before half took some wind out of the sails.  2nd half, TCU ran it down Cal's throat and the afternoon heat sucked the life out of them and they folded. That wont happen against Texas IMO. And Cal still almost won the game and should've except their coaching staff completely shit the bed chasing points all game.

Bottom line, if Texas loses to TCU, I'm off the Sark train and telling him to fuck back off to Southern California.  Sure, I saw 1 game blah blah but this is not a typical Patterson TCU defense, they are not good.  Texas should win this game by 2 TDs

Quentin Johnston would start for us at WR, and LT’s nephew would at CB. I think Ochaun Mathis is probably better than anything we have coming off the edge. Duggan is very different than our QB’s, but has beaten us twice and it remains to be seen what we have at that position. 

Should be a good measuring stick for us. I won’t turn my nose up at beating them at all. 

Edited by Duane Moore
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Quentin Johnston would start for us at WR, and LT’s nephew would at CB. I think Ochaun Mathis is probably better than anything we have coming off the edge. Duggan is very different than our QB’s, but has beaten us twice and it remains to be seen what we have at that position. 

Should be a good measuring stick for us. I won’t turn my nose up at beating them at all. 

when I was comparing talent, I was talking Cal's v Texas as a means of matchup comparison.  But yeah, QJ is pretty good.  LT Junior was ok but did get beat a couple times (which can happen) and Mathis was someone I had heard a lot about but don't remember the TCU DL making much of an impression.  Decent run defense for most of the game and they got a coverage sack or two but nothing remarkable.  Again, 1 game so maybe they are better than what I saw

21 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

when I was comparing talent, I was talking Cal's v Texas as a means of matchup comparison.  But yeah, QJ is pretty good.  LT Junior was ok but did get beat a couple times (which can happen) and Mathis was someone I had heard a lot about but don't remember the TCU DL making much of an impression.  Decent run defense for most of the game and they got a coverage sack or two but nothing remarkable.  Again, 1 game so maybe they are better than what I saw

Sorry, didn’t catch that you were comparing us to Cal. Still, they’ve looked shaky many years before, only to play their best game of the season against us. I’ll take that win by hook or by crook. 

• Hook 'Em 1

TCU could suck shit through a straw every game before ours and still look like playoff contenders when our game pops up. Idk how fat Gare will motivate his team once we're off the schedule.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:46 AM, David Dennison said:

We're going to beat the shit out of Rice.

Really? Because what, everyone else is "shit", and we will somehow get it all together?

This team needs to take every game seriously because they are more that capable, (and comfortable apparently)  to lose.

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

For all the shit Giles got around here, he's a good coach. Bo Davis is too so something is off with the DL. 

5 minutes ago, El Squared said:

As a former O-Linemen this is what blows my mind. We knew our rules regardless of the front. It's frustrating now and it was mind boggling those dudes didn't know how to pick up a simple twist stunt against OU the past two years.  If your guy leaves you better bet your ass someone is coming. Maybe the shitty coaching by Hand has sunk in so fucking deep they revert back to it. But if Hand can't fix it by TCU whether by switching the dudes he plays or fixing the mental errors. Kill me now. 

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Are we still allowed to ask what comes out of a chinaman’s ass, or will the LHB and Rice MOB stage a joint hunger strike?

LHB should be known as Trigger Band, and admin should provide them with a "safe space" bouncy house for all the games, home and away. 

Likey they will not play when we face SEC teams next year, since those teams are from the deep south, and were all slave-owners, and racist.

• Hook 'Em 2

“Going back to the commonality of the opponent, I think it should be very encouraging to our guys to watch what we did against Arkansas and and watch [Texas against Arkansas], and know that we can go stand toe to toe with these guys. If we just stick to our fundamentals, listen to our coaches and play our butts off, we’ll have a chance to stand toe to toe in front of these guys, get the game to the fourth quarter and hopefully find a way to win that thing.” – Mike Bloomgren on the common opponent with Texas

19 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

“Going back to the commonality of the opponent, I think it should be very encouraging to our guys to watch what we did against Arkansas and and watch [Texas against Arkansas], and know that we can go stand toe to toe with these guys. If we just stick to our fundamentals, listen to our coaches and play our butts off, we’ll have a chance to stand toe to toe in front of these guys, get the game to the fourth quarter and hopefully find a way to win that thing.” – Mike Bloomgren on the common opponent with Texas

Team better not come out flat because Rice is believing

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Team better not come out flat because Rice is believing

We're gonna smack Rice around like a red headed stepchild, but how much Casey heroics will it take? He won't be able to reliably hero his way down the field against the likes of TCU, OU, etc.

Edited by Atticus

17 hours ago, Droopy said:

It bothered me watching ULaLa run straight through our DL. I rationalized my expectations about the DL because I assumed that ULaLa was a top 25 team and had a good OL and RB, yada yada yada. We talked before the game about their "tiny" center and how he was going to be abused by our stout DL of big hungry stalwarts ready to eat his lunch. But during the game, it seemed like our middle was giving up the most yards. Oh well, we won and looked decent doing it.

BUT

My immediate reaction upon watching the first quarter against Arkansas on O was...uh oh.

I knew that our O was a work in progress because of the OL but figured we'd see some early screen passes to Bijan to keep their defense honest. I don't remember seeing any of those plays and apologize in advance if I am wrong.

What was once thought to be a strength of this team is just flat out not. Unless there are some changes to the scheme/personnel I have a seriously bad feeling about this year. I know the "Show Me A Loss" crowd was bullish on the D but it does not look close to being serviceable at the moment. I know it's early and shit can get fixed, but all the off season kool-aid has turned sour in the blink of an eye.

I'll be at the Rice game and want to see this team in person, root them on and hope they can fix shit quick. Sark deserves more time for sure, but not getting up for the Arkansas game is like not getting up for the OU game. Like, wtf? How do they not understand this?

Well in defense of the Dline they’ve been practicing against our shitty oline so a recalibration was in order.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ousux said:
6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:
Almost to the mid 90s $6 ticket prices. Nice.

5f09c882343835fecd3d74535e327979.jpg

Shitty seats no doubt, but good for someone who's never been to a game and wants to take the whole fam damily and check it out.

Hell, might be our only home night game of the year too!