Game Week, Rice edition

Wulaw Horn

7 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Which is exactly the type of entitlement people have been complaining about all day on this site.

That’s not entitlement. He has earned the chance to compete on the field. It is clear to anyone with eyes Casey is at least as good as Card. If they are truly that close in Sark’s eyes, Thompson should get the start or at least get to play before the game is decided. 

If Sark’s plan is the future at the expense of giving us the best chance to win now, he should have let Casey know that earlier so he could have transferred in time to play this year. Casey owes nothing to Sark if he is going to treat him like this. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

I think I would rather have to travel back to Arkansas, deal with that mixture of Bama Bangs and pig fuckers, and lose all over again then have to read about all of your ' Don't Cares' and 'Goodbyes'.

Fuck it, we ride. We NIL. We recruit. And we play this Saturday with or without you.

I'm sick too. But I'll be back.

Awesome Number One GIF by 1 Play Sports

• Haha 2

Well, my worst fears for this team were realized last night - the OL reports were laughably incorrect and Hardson Card is a fucking JAG if there’s even been one. Just pure panic and weak tools when they’re needed. 
If Seven Win Steve loses to Rice while starting Card, just shut the program down. 

Wouldn’t you panic if your nO-line were the keystone cops with 4 guys trying to block 1?

31 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

That’s not entitlement. He has earned the chance to compete on the field. It is clear to anyone with eyes Casey is at least as good as Card. If they are truly that close in Sark’s eyes, Thompson should get the start or at least get to play before the game is decided. 

If Sark’s plan is the future at the expense of giving us the best chance to win now, he should have let Casey know that earlier so he could have transferred in time to play this year. Casey owes nothing to Sark if he is going to treat him like this. 

This is what I was saying. If it was really as close as he said it made no sense not to go to Casey earlier

IT

Spoiler

A key we were listening for after the debacle in Fayetteville was how Steve Sarkisian messaged his team. It was old hat for Tom Herman to say something similar to ”the game plan was in place, we just have to execute.” He did this to maintain buy-in in the coaching ability but over time, when it became clear the players were often being failed by the coaches, he lost trust from the players.

After the game, Sark said he felt he failed them and didn’t prepare them well enough. They did a poor job of putting players in positions to succeed. He said this week they need to pick up the intensity and focus on the technical aspects of the game. They need to do better at pushing though adversity. He mentioned they came out OK from halftime but need to bring it harder.

What he said about needing more intensity was corroborated by other sources, but probably also your own eyes. One source stated, “some guys are hyped up where there’s substance behind it. That’s the same guys who practice hard. But, a lot of the hype was fake it til you make it. I feel like it’s the way they practice. They need to come back to the field with urgency. Urgency is aggressiveness, and you’re not looking to just turn it on 30 minutes before kickoff.“

While Sarkisian had his issues as a head coach preparing the whole team and the offense, Pete Kwiatkowski had the same exact issues on defense. He told his players he’s going to take a hard look at the film and re-evaluate his game plan.

The coaches falling on their swords is a good sign, even if it’s the obvious thing to do. The players should absolutely not be absolved from that performance. This is a big week for them. Our source had thoughts there, too, “they got an *** whipping and have to grow from it. How they bounce back from the loss will determine the attitude, character, and personality of the team. Mentally, the team is in a good place. Everyone knows they should have played better. Lots of accountability regardless of whether or not the coaches didn’t do well with the game plan. Lots of self-reflection.”

As they look to rebound, Saturday showed some fundamental issues, namely with the offensive line. The OL didn’t have a good week of preparation heading into the game, even struggling with the scout team at times. We’re expecting some heavy tinkering in practice and as such we’ll step up our coverage throughout the week. If that tinkering doesn’t occur, well, welcome back Herb Hand!

Similarly, the defense needs to improve on run fits. Both lines are playing with poor pad level. Sark said the game would be decided in the trenches and that was definitely a big part of it, though neither coach helped their lines out.

As far as quarterback goes, “the team knows it’s not really Hudson’s fault. Everybody played poorly. He might of needed a change of scenery earlier in the game. The same could be said for other players. In a game like that it doesn’t matter who the starter is, do what you have to do to win the game first and foremost. They could have put Casey in earlier. There were times Hudson should have ran, if it’s not there run and get what you can. Yards and first downs were hard to come by. You have to take what’s available.”

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Well, my worst fears for this team were realized last night - the OL reports were laughably incorrect and Hardson Card is a fucking JAG if there’s even been one. Just pure panic and weak tools when they’re needed. 

If Seven Win Steve loses to Rice while starting Card, just shut the program down. 

You'd have to think losing to Rice is a bridge too far, but we did lose to Kansas so who knows.

Yes- the Arkansas game was every worst fear we had- Mediocre to bad QB play, abysmal offensive line play, WR that can't separate, can't run routes and can't catch the ball.  

But, and this is the part that just kicked my ass- 2 things showed up that I don't think anyone was worried about- uninspired and unimaginative play calling and our DL getting absolutely abused.  Was that on anyone's offeason worry list?  It sure as shit wasn't on mine.   

I'm a fool I guess b/c I went up to Arkansas thinking we were good and Sark was the man. I loved everything I saw about him first week and his interactions with media, pressers, hell, even the Galindo show. Seemed like a genuine dude comfortable in his own skin that had the players in a good place, while also having hired a really decent coaching and teaching staff.  Wrong, wrong wrong.  I suppose this doens't have to be the death knell for the season/program/tenure, but if you made me lay a bet down now rather than later I sure as shit would bet on more of the same shit show for 3 or 4 years and then take another ride on the merry go round of coaching hires.

Some might say we are too quick to move on, but I think we are too slow. If hiring a coach really is a crapshoot as it seems to be for everyone but Ohio Fucking State maybe we should just cut bait at the first moment the guy doesn't seem to get it.  Charlie would have been bringing back Watson in the first offeason.  Herman would have been Maryland part 2- electric boogaloo.  Sark basically used up his one chance to convince me he can get shit straigtened out with this non-censensual buttfucking. If we see it again through with benefit of the doubt and will say wake me up when he wins 10 or gets fired, b/c I won't be able to invest my full measure of passion in the program until then.
Which sucks- because I was sure hoping to be able to start taking my kids to games and having them fall in love with the program.  My 6 year old told me when I got home- "doesn't your team usually lose daddy?  It's not like they are the Astros who like to win."  That's true Whitney, that's true. It's funny to me that someone can think that about the Astros and longhorns and be totally correct, but she's 6 so that's more or less what she knows.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I wasn't a fan of the Sark hire from the minute the rumors seemed real. He was a proven loser at USC who couldn't handle the spotlight or success. 

But, hey, I'm a fan. Outside of the Mike Stoops debacle, I was mostly pleased with the on-field staff the guy assembled. I'd like to actually root for my team and feel like I'm not being completely naive. So, the last 8 months have been kind of fun. We got through the first week still feeling good about the team, which is a nice change. 

Unfortunately, the same problem being revealed in recruiting revealed themselves on Saturday night. Sarkisian is laid back and so is his staff. That translates rather easily into the bugaboos of not having a sense of urgency and the team lacking a sense of intensity. On top of that, the offensive gameplan on Saturday night was as bad as any we've seen since Notre Dame, 2015, or OU, 2004. Whatever people want to claim about Sarkisian going forward, I saw nothing to merit the high praise of "genius" on Saturday night.

The bottom line is that this was predictably a jihad game for Arkansas and Texas showed up and predictably played the patsy. I had Arkansas people repeatedly telling me ahead of the game that they'd had this game circled for years - not months - years. Their coach played there. There's no doubt he saw it the same way. As such, Arkansas came out fired up and intense. Texas didn't even vaguely hint at meeting that emotional level. Pathetic. Also avoidable. If Sarkisian didn't understand this bullshit, he sure as fuck should have. There are enough people around the program that have been talking about this exact issue since the fucking guy arrived. 

I'm sure Texas will beat Rice. I assume Texas will out talent Tech at home. I then expect a thorough asswhipping from TCU the following weekend in Fort Worth. Patterson and his team will take the same exact approach to the game as they always do, which is what Arkansas did. He'll have them fired up, playing with a chip on their shoulder, and out for blood. Seven Win Steve will show up in a hawaiian shirt, flip flops and cargo shorts having just fucking hammered a fatty blunt with his boys Milwee and Flood and stand there on the sidelines showing us the CFB Head Coach equivalent of Spicoli's "hey bud, what's your problem!?" while Patterson tears up Sark's fucking game plan and tells him to take his weak shit back to Austin.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The bottom line is that this was predictably a jihad game for Arkansas and Texas showed up and predictably played the patsy. I had Arkansas people repeatedly telling me ahead of the game that they'd had this game circled for years - not months - years. Their coach played there. There's no doubt he saw it the same way. As such, Arkansas came out fired up and intense. Texas didn't even vaguely hint at meeting that emotional level. Pathetic. Also avoidable. If Sarkisian didn't understand this bullshit, he sure as fuck should have. There are enough people around the program that have been talking about this exact issue since the fucking guy arrived. 

If you are a college football player and you can't get fired up playing your sport a dozen times a year, there is something wrong with you. There is also something wrong with this program, there really is. Arkansas players were literally throwing their bodies through the air with wild abandon, just trying to get in on a tackle. And why not, what are you clowns like Okafor saving it for? You planning to really get going when you are 80 in an old folks home? Does anything mean enough to you to get excited? Sarkisian has to bench some people, he has to see who wants to play. He can't think about winning right now. He has to focus on changing the attitude of this team, then the wins will come

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This was the inexcusable part of Saturday night. If the players don't get the Arkansas rivalry, that's understandable. But the coaching staff should know better. 

When you coach at Alabama, sure, every opponents wants to win. But deep down most know they can't. And that's a huge mental edge for the Tide. 

We have been an average program for over a decade with average talent, and every opponent smells blood in the water. We have to coach and game plan every week with that in mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I wasn't a fan of the Sark hire from the minute the rumors seemed real. He was a proven loser at USC who couldn't handle the spotlight or success. 

But, hey, I'm a fan. Outside of the Mike Stoops debacle, I was mostly pleased with the on-field staff the guy assembled. I'd like to actually root for my team and feel like I'm not being completely naive. So, the last 8 months have been kind of fun. We got through the first week still feeling good about the team, which is a nice change. 

Unfortunately, the same problem being revealed in recruiting revealed themselves on Saturday night. Sarkisian is laid back and so is his staff. That translates rather easily into the bugaboos of not having a sense of urgency and the team lacking a sense of intensity. On top of that, the offensive gameplan on Saturday night was as bad as any we've seen since Notre Dame, 2015, or OU, 2004. Whatever people want to claim about Sarkisian going forward, I saw nothing to merit the high praise of "genius" on Saturday night.

I'm sure Texas will beat Rice. I assume Texas will out talent Tech at home. I then expect a thorough asswhipping from TCU the following weekend in Fort Worth. Patterson and his team will take the same exact approach to the game as they always do, which is what Arkansas did. He'll have them fired up, playing with a chip on their shoulder, and out for blood. Seven Win Steve will show up in a hawaiian shirt, flip flops and cargo shorts having just fucking hammered a fatty blunt with his boys Milwee and Flood and stand there on the sidelines showing us the CFB Head Coach equivalent of Spicoli's "hey bud, what's your problem!?" while Patterson tears up Sark's fucking game plan and tells him to take his weak shit back to Austin.

Yeah- absolutely nothing to argue with here. 
the only thing I might add is apparently Flood isn’t any better than any of the other OL coaches we’ve had since- what- 1998 under Mackovic? 

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

786CA8E4-EBA0-478B-B519-3E8C5B7F0E8C.jpeg

Through all the quarterback competition I've pretty much kept my thoughts to myself.  I've enjoyed all of the indepth analysis by a bunch of very informed, intelligent posters.  Posts about skill sets, arm strength game knowledge etc.  It's amazing to me sometimes how some of you are able to break down every detail of the game.  I pretty much agreed with a lot of posters in their thinking that Card was the guy.  Still in the back of my mind I kept thinking, nope, it's Casey.  Why? I don't know. I couldn't have reeled off details as why, it was just a feeling, a gut feeling.  Maybe that's what the difference is...guts.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Through all the quarterback competition I've pretty much kept my thoughts to myself.  I've enjoyed all of the indepth analysis by a bunch of very informed, intelligent posters.  Posts about skill sets, arm strength game knowledge etc.  It's amazing to me sometimes how some of you are able to break down every detail of the game.  I pretty much agreed with a lot of posters in their thinking that Card was the guy.  Still in the back of my mind I kept thinking, nope, it's Casey.  Why? I don't know. I couldn't have reeled off details as why, it was just a feeling, a gut feeling.  Maybe that's what the difference is...guts.

Let’s be real, though. Thompson is just as much of a JAG as Card. Neither of these guys is going to deter a star QB from committing, for sure. 

Welp, we’re the laughing stock of CFB yet again. The sports media is relentlessly  shitting on us. Are these players and coaches gonna get pissed off at some point and play like they give a fuck starting with Rice or is it gonna be a lackluster 14-17 pt win?

Edited by A’Dam Psycho
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

I think I would rather have to travel back to Arkansas, deal with that mixture of Bama Bangs and pig fuckers, and lose all over again then have to read about all of your ' Don't Cares' and 'Goodbyes'.

Fuck it, we ride. We NIL. We recruit. And we play this Saturday with or without you.

I'm sick too. But I'll be back.

You’re right.

We ride like shit.

We NIL like shit.

We recruit like shit.

And we damn sure play like shit. 

Edited by Ghost of Shag
I type like shit.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

You’re right.

We ride like shit.

We NIL like shit.

We recruit like shit.

And we damn sure play like shit. 

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Purpose-Sporting-Landscaping-Nautical/dp/B07KZWLSVJ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=rope+for+hanging+noose&qid=1631575835&sr=8-5

https://www.wikihow.com/Tie-a-Noose

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Welp, we’re the laughing stock of CFB yet again. The sports media is relentlessly  shitting on us. Are these players and coaches gonna get pissed off at some point and play like they give a fuck starting with Rice or is it gonna be a lackluster 14-17 pt win?

I'd be concerned if they weren't shitting on us. It means we matter. No one talks about Tennessee anymore. 

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Are these players and coaches gonna get pissed off at some point and play like they give a fuck starting with Rice or is it gonna be a lackluster 14-17 pt win?

Being pissed doesn’t help here.  It will be a lackluster win.  Rice has a better defense than us (!) but their offense is shit and was responsible for a lot of the points given up against Ark and UH.  I don’t know what the O/U is but bet the under.   I’d say we win about 27-14.   It will be close at half.  Like 10-7.  This board will be melting down.  

Heard was 6 of 9 and Swoopes was 6 of 13 in that game.  I will never forget that in the second half of that one, Daje Johnson was 25 yards downfield, literally - not figuratively - literally running by himself halfway between the numbers and the sideline and swoopes threw the ball five yards out of bounds. It was the worst deep ball throw I had ever seen in my life. 
card’s three deep balls yesterday are the closest I have seen to that since…and that is with sam “least accurate fullback playing qb” ehlinger for four years in between. 

You’re partly right but an idiot too. Stop with the Ehlinger shit.

And for the worst throw ever that goes to Shane Beuchele to John Burt versus OU. Down the middle of the field. No one within 20 yards. Throw it not just long but also wildly over the wrong shoulder.

I bet you wear loafers to games.

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

And for the worst throw ever that goes to Shane Beuchele to John Burt versus OU. Down the middle of the field. No one within 20 yards. Throw it not just long but also wildly over the wrong shoulder.

i've never been accused of that but it's an interesting thought.  i don't believe you are correct but i would have to think about it.

you people and your unfailing ehlinger devotion.  cracks my shit up.  anyone that made it past last year's iowa state game with any remaining devotion to the notion that ehlinger was a reliably accurate quarterback is too stupid to waste time interacting with.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

To be fair to Beuchele he could have hit Burt in stride in the hands and he’d have dropped it anyway, so it was always going to be an incompletion. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

i've never been accused of that but it's an interesting thought.  i don't believe you are correct but i would have to think about it.
you people and your unfailing ehlinger devotion.  cracks my shit up.  anyone that made it past last year's iowa state game with any remaining devotion to the notion that ehlinger was a reliably accurate quarterback is too stupid to waste time interacting with.

Consider it being reasonable under the circumstances.

You could use McCoy 2008 as the standard. Or Burrow. But those years were incredible. And rare, rare, rare.

Mac Jones, Sooner QBs. Those dudes all played glorified 7 on 7. They get hit very infrequently. They’re never used as battering rams.

So what is stupid is even evoking a comparison in his accuracy and guys like those.

The anti-Ehlinger just thought our accuracy issues were solved. The first two games say Not So Fast my friend.

Pretty sure Burrows wide outs each caught more passes this weekend in the NFL than all of Ehlingers guys combined. Jones guys got more run in one week in the NFL than Sam’s guys have in their careers (probably not accurate).

At least Black and Eagles got invited to camps. Schooler so good he moved back to DB. Smith bolted. Smith and Whittington both hurt to start the season. Moore missed the prior year. A Covid year with no spring and limited summer with a new system and some new dudes. He slipped no doubt from the prior two years. He also gave us a shot to win every game.

Now that McCoy dude. Most underrated, under appreciated college player in history.

Overall I’m ticked about this weekend so to come across some bs cheap shot at a dude who played his ass off. I’ll play internet tough guy too if I need to.

On 9/12/2021 at 5:18 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Well, Rice certainly played Arkansas tougher than we did, so...fuck- I can’t stop thinking about how bad we were last night.  This sucks. 
Things to watch for this week:

1) who is bought in and trying to get better- who isn’t. 
2) do we make a QB changed. Card wasn’t bad and it wasn’t his fault most of the first half- but he wasn’t the solution either. The second half he missed a bunch of deep stuff, some of which was open (none of which would have changed the outcome of this game)

3) does Sark go on a bender? 
4) are there any big time recruits going to commit to us?  Is the staff going to try to play games to change the narrative or does it just eat away at itself. 
5) does the fan base rally and show up and show out, or is it a morgue for the Rice game?  

When are you going to call me back on that 0.75% 30 year fixed jumbo mortgage that we talked about on Saturday?  I think you were at the tailgate and right before you quoted and promised to lock the rate, you said “hold on, imma chug this next margarita.”  You also said something about a short chick with no teeth that was going to change the world.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Hello from Kansas, Florida State, Illinois.... 

7 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

When are you going to call me back on that 0.75% 30 year fixed jumbo mortgage that we talked about on Saturday?  I think you were at the tailgate and right before you quoted and promised to lock the rate, you said “hold on, imma chug this next margarita.”  You also said something about a short chick with no teeth that was going to change the world.  

god damn. I just laughed so hard out loud. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 10:24 AM, closetojumping said:

I get the PTSD re: TCU but I was at the Cal-TCU game on Saturday...TCU's defense fucking sucks.  Cal's noodle armed QB rolled them for bomb after bomb downfield.  PFF had it as his highest rated game in his 5 years at Cal.  Not a single guy on their D impressed me.  Zach Evans can ball but until Cal's D wilted in the heat, the Frog O didn't do shit.

So yeah, TCU...

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

I get the PTSD re: TCU but I was at the Cal-TCU game on Saturday...TCU's defense fucking sucks.  Cal's noodle armed QB rolled them for bomb after bomb downfield.  PFF had it as his highest rated game in his 5 years at Cal.  Not a single guy on their D impressed me.  Zach Evans can ball but until Cal's D wilted in the heat, the Frog O didn't do shit.

So yeah, TCU...

spacer.png

No offense, but this reads like a lot of the analysis for Arkansas after their Rice game. 

My point wasn't about match-ups on paper or how TCU looks against anyone else. It won't surprise me if they roll out another 7-6 type season. My point is that Patterson will absolutely have his guys sky fucking high to play Texas, while Sarkisian stands there on the other sidelines with a 1000 yard stare on his face as Patterson's clown show plays "name the number" on the scoreboard. 

Arkansas showed us one thing very clearly - Sarkisian, his staff, and his personnel did not understand what having a target on their backs meant when playing an opponent who actually thought they could win the game. Frankly, it was laughable and they all look like thoughtless losers because of it. 

But sure, it will be wonderful if TCU sucks against Texas and Texas is 4-1 heading into the OU game. I no longer believe that will be the case, but I'm wrong many times daily, and I'll take it if I'm wrong here.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No offense, but this reads like a lot of the analysis for Arkansas after their Rice game. 

My point wasn't about match-ups on paper or how TCU looks against anyone else. It won't surprise me if they roll out another 7-6 type season. My point is that Patterson will absolutely have his guys sky fucking high to play Texas, while Sarkisian stands there on the other sidelines with a 1000 yard stare on his face as Patterson's clown show plays "name the number" on the scoreboard. 

Arkansas showed us one thing very clearly - Sarkisian, his staff, and his personnel did not understand what having a target on their backs meant when playing an opponent who actually thought they could win the game. Frankly, it was laughable and they all look like thoughtless losers because of it. 

But sure, it will be wonderful if TCU sucks against Texas and Texas is 4-1 heading into the OU game. I no longer believe that will be the case, but I'm wrong many times daily, and I'll take it if I'm wrong here.

I hear you and I get the sentiment.  Before seeing TCU, I would've thought much the same but having seen them now... if Texas does lose to TCU, I'll be off the Sark train for sure.  Cause TCU, barring a few players, fucking sucks.  I hope Arky is the wakeup call the Horns need.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

I love Casey’s attitude.  I have no doubt we’re going to get his 100% effort on the field.  Whether or not he can get it done is another story, but he’s sure as hell not going to take this opportunity for granted and will fight to the end to make the most of it.  If I were his teammate I could get behind him pretty easily!

• Hook 'Em 4