Game Week, Rice edition

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Card gave me flashbacks of Simms....same number....holding ball forever....overthrowing every long throw....shitting himself.

Sark should've made the change at half. Thompson should have the reigns moving forward.

Ahhhh, fuck, that comparison hadn't occurred to me, but it's pretty apt.

7 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Card reminds me of Chance Mock, lol.

This is not the first instance of this season looking exactly like 2003. Even down to the better practice QB beating out the more athletic QB for a time until we took the governor off him. We even mixed in a shitty loss to Arkansas followed by playing Rice the next week that year. Also means OU is going to drop 65 on us and we bounce back to win the rest of our games but lose inexplicably to a Pac 12 team. Oh yeah, we're slated for the Alamo Bowl according to the few bowl predictions I've seen so far. 

If Casey isn't announced as the starter tomorrow, we'll know Sark is the same horrible decision maker the last 2 guys were. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

But after that, it honestly was pretty good.

Yes. He had plenty of plays where he had plenty of time to throw the ball and didn't do anything with it. Maybe Arky played a good game in the secondary but they aren't good enough to cover Worthy, Moore and Whittington for more than 5 seconds. Card just couldn't find anyone all night. 

Some guys perform better in games than practice. So far, it looks like Casey is a gamer. Shit o-line aside, he came in and looked great. I know it was technically already a blowout and we had no chance at that point, but the crowd/environment was still raucous. A pussy QB would go in and shit their pants the same way Hudson did, but Casey led, what was it, two TD drives? I was on board with Hudson because of the 9.95er propaganda, but I think Casey deserves a chance. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Some guys perform better in games than practice. So far, it looks like Casey is a gamer. Shit o-line aside, he came in and looked great. I know it was technically already a blowout and we had no chance at that point, but the crowd/environment was still raucous. A pussy QB would go in and shit their pants the same way Hudson did, but Casey led, what was it, two TD drives? I was on board with Hudson because of the 9.95er propaganda, but I think Casey deserves a chance. 

Maybe that was the lesson all along. Casey you have to win the job in practices so you can show out in games. Maybe Sark has lit a fire and now Casey prove it. Sometimes being a QB whisperer you have to go more than whisper.

6 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Maybe that was the lesson all along. Casey you have to win the job in practices so you can show out in games. Maybe Sark has lit a fire and now Casey prove it. Sometimes being a QB whisperer you have to go more than whisper.

Was that lesson worth getting dominated by Arkansas in your first big road game as coach?

• Hook 'Em 1

I did not write that as clearly as I should have. Card wasn’t that bad in the first half is what I was trying to say. He was 4/8 at one time. He’d dropped back 15 times by that time seemingly and ended up with Nowhere to throw the ball with multiple guys in his face. I thought Sark was going to/ should have pulled him when we got the ball back with 3 minutes before the half. 
when I say it didn’t matter what he did I mean in the sense that we couldn’t block 3, had no holes for Bijan (who is really good and did all he could have last night) and they ran the ball up our ass to the tune of 350 yards. 
It was a debacle. Card didn’t play winning football, but I’d have put him at around 4th or 5th of our biggest problems on the night. 
I’m on team give Casey the reigns right now without a doubt. 
Just pointing out it was a team wide destruction last night where nobody covered themselves in glory. 
I thought Anthony Cook played OK too. He and Bijan would win my player of the game vote such that it was. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Was that lesson worth getting dominated by Arkansas in your first big road game as coach?

Of course not but if Card won the job in practice he was gonna go with Card. Obviously should have pulled him after that ankle got twisted but whatever.

Good thing we play in the worst P5 conference he's got a bunch of schlubs and choklahoma and that's the season.

Real thing will be to get momentum going again for recruiting to get some OL and DL that can play in the SEC before we go there next year. 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

This game is a placebo.  Win it changes nothing, could be 56-0.  Of course, if you lose to Rice....nah, no way.

I get this, but it's wrong.

A domination of Rice doesn't necessarily mean anything good, but it doesn't mean anything bad for the future.

A loss is just bad for the future.

Dominating Rice is very important right now. Extremely important. It will build confidence.

As broken hearted as I was about last night, I am known to be a bit of an empath with sensing skills that were refined during years of terrifying traditional rock climbing and years of big game business meetings where being able to sense things like customer needs, or the security of a hold, or the soundness of an anchor, meant life or millions.

I sense two things here.

1) the team reacts and feels different when Casey is at the helm.  It’s almost the mood of our OL, it’s feels better when he is driving.

2) Sark gets it and can and will feel it too.

rice will show whether I am full of shit, but I have been watching Texas Corches since 1968.  My sense says Sark is going to win here.   I would bet my house and wife’s savings if I had one or the other.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Domedriver said:

As broken hearted as I was about last night, I am known to be a bit of an empath with sensing skills that were refined during years of terrifying traditional rock climbing and years of big game business meetings where being able to sense things like customer needs, or the security of a hold, or the soundness of an anchor, meant life or millions.

I sense two things here.

1) the team reacts and feels different when Casey is at the helm.  It’s almost the mood of our OL, it’s feels better when he is driving.

2) Sark gets it and can and will feel it too.

rice will show whether I am full of shit, but I have been watching Texas Corches since 1968.  My sense says Sark is going to win here.   I would bet my house and wife’s savings if I had one or the other.

I sense #1, I hope on #2.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, brojangles2 said:

Fuck this shit, I am giving my seats to someone with kids. I'm not wasting any more money on hotels and gas on this fucking shit pile. 

Last big 12 season bro. I haven't bought tickets to a Texas conference game since 2015 okie lite, but I'm tempted because this is it for this shit conference.

But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain. Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Texas play Rice?" We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard

I’m a rice grad. I’m VY’s HS year. I know how this goes. I’ve seen it over and over. UT is going to skull fuck rice. I’m convinced Briles kept things beyond vanilla to hide his hand. Sark will start Card(he probably shouldn’t) he will put up 27 and then Thompson will score another 30. And then he will start Card again in the next game because coaches are fucking dumb and do what they’ve been taught. We had no business keeping up with Arkansas. That was some fuckery.

15 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Well, Rice certainly played Arkansas tougher than we did, so...fuck- I can’t stop thinking about how bad we were last night.  This sucks. 
Things to watch for this week:

1) who is bought in and trying to get better- who isn’t. 
2) do we make a QB changed. Card wasn’t bad and it wasn’t his fault most of the first half- but he wasn’t the solution either. The second half he missed a bunch of deep stuff, some of which was open (none of which would have changed the outcome of this game)

3) does Sark go on a bender? 
4) are there any big time recruits going to commit to us?  Is the staff going to try to play games to change the narrative or does it just eat away at itself. 
5) does the fan base rally and show up and show out, or is it a morgue for the Rice game?  

Card wasn’t good at all. I’m sure he will start vs Rice. But if we don’t see Casey get a ton of reps then Sark is definitely off the wagon.

6 hours ago, Zeus said:

Last big 12 season bro. I haven't bought tickets to a Texas conference game since 2015 okie lite, but I'm tempted because this is it for this shit conference.

That was the last game I went to. Took my son hoping he would fall in love with Texas since he grew up on campus. Nah...... 

• Hook 'Em 1