Grading the Team’s Performance Week 2

hpslugga

I was as disappointed as everyone else last night, but . . .

I believe we will show improvement every game up to OU and show up ranked and 4-1.  That will be a test.  If Casey starts we have a chance.  If Card starts, the Surly servers are going to melt into a puddle of silicone and solder.  

I think it's a little early to tell if Sark is a stiff or the next Saban (my advice is to do what Saban did in the MNC game and swap Hurts for Tuagliavolo).  Two games at UT isn't much of a sample.  

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, HalfSack Horn said:

Seems accurate, but I’d call Dickers snap drop a muff, which obviously led to a blocked punt.  

That's not a muff. A "muff" is designated as only a dead ball that cannot be advanced by the opposing team. By rule, that ball was live.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

feels game of thrones GIF

We'll beat Rice.  

TCU looked pretty lost during the first half of their game with Cal. Casey will win that for us and keep the D off the field.

Tech hasn't had a good team in years.  They were losing to SFA last night at the half, IIRC.  

OU is going to be turnt up and their offense is hitting on all cylinders.  Charles Thompson's son is going to humble them.

• Hook 'Em 2

My memory sucks, but didn't Casey Thompson hang sixty on Colorado last year. With him starting, we're going to be okay. He will start next week, and we're gonna win. We had a bad night. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. His performance last night was off the charts, and if he can stay healthy, he's just going to get better. 

Somebody needs to figure out what the fuck was wrong with the D last night. I suspect they will. It might just be a case of the Briles Curse.

2 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

My memory sucks, but didn't Casey Thompson hang sixty on Colorado last year. With him starting, we're going to be okay. He will start next week, and we're gonna win. We had a bad night. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. His performance last night was off the charts, and if he can stay healthy, he's just going to get better. 

Somebody needs to figure out what the fuck was wrong with the D last night. I suspect they will. It might just be a case of the Briles Curse.

My biggest concern is this: if you’re right (which I hope you are) and Casey is that much better than Card, then that just means our new coach is another moron that’s too dumb to get the best players on the field. It’s a lose/lose.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

My biggest concern is this: if you’re right (which I hope you are) and Casey is that much better than Card, then that just means our new coach is another moron that’s too dumb to get the best players on the field. It’s a lose/lose.

My guess (hope) is that Sark thinks Card is his QB of The Future and wants to get him as many reps as possible. 

I think what he found out last night is he's not ready yet and Casey's running ability will balance out our weakness at WR.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Bullneck said:

My guess (hope) is that Sark thinks Card is his QB of The Future and wants to get him as many reps as possible. 

I think what he found out last night is he's not ready yet and Casey's running ability will balance out our weakness at WR.  

Yeah, that's probably fairly accurate.

Complicated somewhat by the fact that Sarkisian doesn't want a running QB.  Not that that is what Thompson is, exactly, but that component of his game is devalued by Sarkisian.

Problem is, with our OL, unless Sarkisian can dial up some good shit, the kind of good shit that was completely absent last night, we're going to NEED a running QB, system be damned.

• Hook 'Em 2

I haven't been this angry at a UT game since 2012 OU.

Strong sucked and I was there to watch Notre Dame rape us in South Bend for the 2nd time in my life but I just wasn't this angry.

I hated this hire from the jump and I can't believe we only got 1 game in before the wheels fell off

🤡 🤡 🤡

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

I'm convinced that at some point the Silver Spurs' Bevo truck & trailer ran over a whole family of gypsies and they cursed us as the truck stopped and backed over them.

Was this at the Rose Bowl after the game in 2006 or before the game in 2010?

Edited by Bullneck

Do we go below F, cause I'm willing to go to Z if need be? Other than Bijan and Casey, this "team" was absolute dog shit. They are soft as baby shit. What's nuts is a ton have played against ou, so it's not like they haven't been to a hostile environment. Same with Sark coaching the playoffs + against LSU 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

We'll beat Rice.  

TCU looked pretty lost during the first half of their game with Cal. Casey will win that for us and keep the D off the field.

Tech hasn't had a good team in years.  They were losing to SFA last night at the half, IIRC.  

OU is going to be turnt up and their offense is hitting on all cylinders.  Charles Thompson's son is going to humble them.

So what? Last year were clearly better than TCU and we lost to them.

Believing that this team will succeed because other teams suck is delusional, because UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE, WE SUCK.

Complicated somewhat by the fact that Sarkisian doesn't want a running QB.  Not that that is what Thompson is, exactly, but that component of his game is devalued by Sarkisian.
Problem is, with our OL, unless Sarkisian can dial up some good shit, the kind of good shit that was completely absent last night, we're going to NEED a running QB, system be damned.
If we depend on the QB to run when we have a Heisman contender RB and two capable backups then we're fucked. Casey has more instincts on when and how to run as a QB, but I think Card is actually a bit faster. (On paper)

6 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

So what? Last year were clearly better than TCU and we lost to them.

Believing that this team will succeed because other teams suck is delusional, because UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE, WE SUCK.

This is correct.. based on what I saw last night.. From here on out I assume Texas will lose every game until they prove this to be false. What I saw last night was a lack of "imposing our will" on another team on both sides of the ball. I saw a ton of finesse and zero heart.. except Thompson, Overshown and Robinson.

B. J. Foster, while his star rating says he has all the tools (?), continues to shy away from contact.. I especially liked him being carried into the end zone in the 3rd Q.. I do appreciate the interception but again.. he's soft

I hate the one back set.. yes I'm that old guy. If our tight ends are not going to catch a pass then maybe they could block someone.. just a thought. 

32 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

A. Good to see you posting again.

B. Given your long held belief in tempo, what is your take on Sark’s offense’s leisurely pace on the goal line during our last TD drive?

Not a fan. Not saying it’s inherently bad, just that if I were in the position I wouldn’t do that.

1 minute ago, hpslugga said:

Not a fan. Not saying it’s inherently bad, just that if I were in the position I wouldn’t do that.

I believe he was signaling to Ark that he was giving up. That trickles down through a program, especially one that was already chock full of players we saw quitting during the game.

Edited by lilMAC25

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I was as disappointed as everyone else last night, but . . .

I believe we will show improvement every game up to OU and show up ranked and 4-1.  That will be a test.  If Casey starts we have a chance.  If Card starts, the Surly servers are going to melt into a puddle of silicone and solder.  

I think it's a little early to tell if Sark is a stiff or the next Saban (my advice is to do what Saban did in the MNC game and swap Hurts for Tuagliavolo).  Two games at UT isn't much of a sample.  

yti6E31.gif

1 hour ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

If we depend on the QB to run when we have a Heisman contender RB and two capable backups then we're fucked. Casey has more instincts on when and how to run as a QB, but I think Card is actually a bit faster. (On paper)

Not to sound rude (really) but I think you're missing the point.  Having a QB that can run means the defense has to pay attention to that as a whole or assign someone to spy on him.  Ehlinger was always a threat to run, either by design or on the scramble.  Think of the games where that made a difference. 

Now think about a QB with no real college experience, developing accuracy, and with our O-line. Or one who has been on campus since 2017 and played in a bowl game, and was at the Sugar Bowl and who's running ability means the other D-line has to watch what he's doing and what he might do.  

Not to sound rude (really) but I think you're missing the point.  Having a QB that can run means the defense has to pay attention to that as a whole or assign someone to spy on him.  Ehlinger was always a threat to run, either by design or on the scramble.  Think of the games where that made a difference. 
Now think about a QB with no real college experience, developing accuracy, and with our O-line. Or one who has been on campus since 2017 and played in a bowl game, and was at the Sugar Bowl and who's running ability means the other D-line has to watch what he's doing and what he might do.  
Now think about if Casey had hit the portal and Card had to pretend he was Sam to keep us in games and goes down with a knee injury or high ankle sprain..

13 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I’m an alumni/fan who likes to party and watch the games.  I’m not a football expert and never will be.  However, when watching the Alamo bowl last year, I didn’t think much of the limited time Card played.  He looked kind of like Richard Walton out there.  Casey however put on a show and destroyed the fuck out of Colorado.  When I heard Card was pulling ahead I just thought “well I don’t know shit so I assume it’s the right choice.”  After this recent showing I’m all in on Casey.  He hasn’t fucked up yet and the entire team seems to respect him.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1