All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

If you look back at the "North Pole News: Killer Whale Attack", it was the most political sketch in awhile.  Very, very clever.  I love Kate.  Pretty good episode overall, better than the last handful.  Great season overall thus far for Autumn.  Long 5-week hiatus until next one

And yes, as much as we all love the W/U joke swap deal...this may have been the best one yet.  And it was the responses by Che, Colin's attempted fistbump, and Harriet's reactions that made it so wonderful.  The writing on W/U was awesome, but the out loud laughter came from the little headnods 'n shit.  Loved it.  

Didn't think as much of the cold opening as y'all, but topical obviously.  The Cinema Classics was pretty damn funny as well because of Kate, glad I watched it the next morning since i usually nod off around mid-show.  And I could watch a thousand versions of Whiskers 'R We, one of the few 10-to-1's that never gets old.  ABBA Christmas and Tampon Farm also funny, but probably just because of the cameos all cutting each other up.  Writing overall was below par for the season, but everybody on camera brought it home including non-clever ideas but very hilariously well executed like Gifts from Mom and Paperless Post.  

I mean honestly, if you think SNL isn't edgy any more or too political correct---some writer pitched a White Elephant Gift Exchange which involved two Black people passing on a Sickle Cell Anemia cure gift.  And it may end up in the SNL Christmas episode greatest hits pantheon.  We're just getting old and cranky, that's all...

Would have given it a B+, but probably now an A- after rewatching, "you're an even better black window than Coretta Scott King."  Given the setup, that's maybe the best joke you'll hear on SNL for years, but it didn't get the belly laughs because it so awkward given the "little art movie/Harriet/Colin cringing."  So beautifully done.  

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Did they bump the “Please Don’t Destroy” guys tonight?

Looks like it. Alaska Airlines was giphy.gif

Colin's dog whistle was pretty funny, too.

Edited by RPM

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

I’m going to check it out soon.

Did they bump the “Please Don’t Destroy” guys tonight?

I try to remember that Lorne doesn’t put them in every single episode.  But I would like think, given the 5 week holiday hiatus, they’d be back with something strong.  If they got bumped for yet another sketch about how tall, handsome gnu is tall and handsome; that’d be a bummer.  The guy did alright and is tall And handsome but there’s too much material from the last several weeks to work with.  
anyway; Dakota Johnson next week?  Ugh.  

I try to remember that Lorne doesn’t put them in every single episode.  But I would like think, given the 5 week holiday hiatus, they’d be back with something strong.  If they got bumped for yet another sketch about how tall, handsome gnu is tall and handsome; that’d be a bummer.  The guy did alright and is tall And handsome but there’s too much material from the last several weeks to work with.  
anyway; Dakota Johnson next week?  Ugh.  

The very last sketch was just awful

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I try to remember that Lorne doesn’t put them in every single episode.  But I would like think, given the 5 week holiday hiatus, they’d be back with something strong.  If they got bumped for yet another sketch about how tall, handsome gnu is tall and handsome; that’d be a bummer.

A PDD film was in the intro. They ran long.

2 hours ago, RPM said:

A PDD film was in the intro. They ran long.

that's a fucking pisser.  I mean, the guy (whom I don't know anything his work and have nothing against him and held his down pretty good with the cast) had these sketches based on the exact same premise every time:

"Acting Class"-tall, handsome, naturally gifted

"Bowling Pins"-tall, handsome, naturally gifted

"Women's AA Meeting"-tall, handsome, naturally gifted

"Crown your Short King"-tall, handsome, naturally gifted

"Garrett from Hinge"-tall, handsome, naturally gifted 

never mind the fact the Lip Reader/ET sketch was maybe the worst sketch of the whole season (not the fault of the host BTW).  They could have cut any one of the redundant 5 (except Chloe in that dress) and had plenty of time for PDD.  And they can't release their shit anymore online like they used to because of a new workout deal with Lorne/NBC.  Let me also say "Club Shay Shay" with Katt Williams was much funnier upon reflection.  Alaska Airlines fucking killed.  Cold Into was just absolute further proof that J.A.J. is in Uncanny Valley with the Trump impression.  noCR/ but even his most ardent supporters who still like to laugh take no umbrage with it like they did with Baldwin because it's not even parody or satire, it's something altogether different.  Phil Hartman's Clinton is the only thing I can think of that's comparable but what this guy is doing is just surreal.  There's really nothing political to it anymore, it's just this weird mirror reflection that everybody is comedically uncomfortable with.  We'll unpack it years from now.  But between sketches and musical acts, there was just a lot of hot cleavage and I'm cool with that.  

I expect Timberlake to step into a lot of sketches to help out Dakota next week.  I know she was born in Austin, but I just don't get her.  I don't get a lot of their younger hosts, but the little I've seen of her-she isn't remotely talented nor funny.  But what do we know? 

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

that's a fucking pisser.  I mean, the guy (whom I don't know anything his work and have nothing against him and held his down pretty good with the cast) had these sketches based on the exact same premise every time:

never mind the fact the Lip Reader/ET sketch was maybe the worst sketch of the whole season (not the fault of the host BTW).  They could have cut any one of the redundant 5 (except Chloe in that dress) and had plenty of time for PDD.  And they can't release their shit anymore online like they used to because of a new workout deal with Lorne/NBC.  Let me also say "Club Shay Shay" with Katt Williams was much funnier upon reflection.  Alaska Airlines fucking killed.  Cold Into was just absolute further proof that J.A.J. is in Uncanny Valley with the Trump impression.  noCR/ but even his most ardent supporters who still like to laugh take no umbrage with it like they did with Baldwin because it's not even parody or satire, it's something altogether different.  Phil Hartman's Clinton is the only thing I can think of that's comparable but what this guy is doing is just surreal.  There's really nothing political to it anymore, it's just this weird mirror reflection that everybody is comedically uncomfortable with.  We'll unpack it years from now.  But between sketches and musical acts, there was just a lot of hot cleavage and I'm cool with that.  

I expect Timberlake to step into a lot of sketches to help out Dakota next week.  I know she was born in Austin, but I just don't get her.  I don't get a lot of their younger hosts, but the little I've seen of her-she isn't remotely talented nor funny.  But what do we know? 

Not afraid of full frontal nudity is probably the nicest thing you can say about Dakota Johnson. I think she’s serviceable in How To Be Single, but Rebel Wilson steals to movie. 

19 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I mean, the guy (whom I don't know anything his work and have nothing against him and held his down pretty good with the cast) had these sketches based on the exact same premise every time:

That was my thought as well.  Really lazy writing.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume they’ve given up on the Biden impression after Mikey Day predictably shit the bed? 

Lorne is going to have flip that money machine on and get Sudeikis back in the fall. 

Just get Dana Carvey. He's got the best Biden impression and would probably pay Lorne to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/21/2024 at 12:53 PM, YGIFS said:

Nailed it.

Good old fashioned Hollywood nepotism + Spiderman money can make anything happen. Should have just asked Sweeney to host. 

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Please Don't Destroy delivered.

Yeah.  Didn’t realize two of three were from SNL royalty.  Nepotism joke was funny.  

The Jerry Springer skit was great.  And DJ in that skirt for the talk show scenes wasn’t bad.  

Should have clarified as “writing” royalty. Tim Herlihy (Sandler’s writing partner) is the curly hair guys dad, and Steve Higgins was a writer on SNl and now in Tonight Show and is the dad of the short guy.  Red head has no nepotism, I guess.  

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ayo is painfully unfunny. I hope she’s not invited back.

Maybe it's a matter of taste. I thought she was kind of cute with her slightly neurotic, overly enthusiastic vibe. It works for her...or me. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Not much memorable from last night other than Weekend Update and even that wasn’t overly great.

I liked the Dune Bucket song, and the Colin Jost son bit got me good. Overall, it was a much better episode than last week.

5 minutes ago, Smax said:

the dune popcorn bucket, wtf....

It's an actual real thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Thought Ayo did alright, but it was shit writing for the third episode in a row.  Cold Open & W/U were better than usual.  And I liked "Black People's Court", but it was a largely forgettable episode that I imagine never surfaces in re-runs later this year.  

I don't know that I remember a host being a formally fired cast member.  Usually, Lorne only brings back ones that left on good terms/mutual accord.  I don't find Shane all that funny, not because he's 'controversial', just not my lane of standup and I've gotta pretty broad spectrum of comic fandom.  But they've got three weeks to come up with some funny shit, let's give him a chance.  

Also, I'm sure as many of you and Lorne have noticed-though the cast is smaller than it has been the last few years---there is some really obvious dead weight that could go next week and nobody would give a shit. 

Edited by YGIFS

Well yeah, but Lorne really liked him.  it was that dipshit executive at NBC who was golf buddies with O.J. that really forced the termination issue when it came to Norm.  Everybody in studio 8H loved him (I have it on good authority).  But it was bfore Lorne truly had fuck-you money and still had to actually listen to the peacock brass.  

I know we all bitch about SNL not being like the old days.  But that's just middle-age.  Everything is funnier in hindsight.  But the show has been on a good roll the last few years.  But this season in particular has been oddly binary in terms of writing.  Either 80% of the sketches, despite the host, just deliver.  Or 80% of them fall flat, despite the host.  Haven't seen anything like this in 20+ years.  The folks I know in the business chalk it up to Lorne holding back for the big 50th season next year and the off-scheduling between the strike and election year kinda fucking with the writer's room.  And again to berate the point, there's just some not-up-to-snuff cast members as well.  And the problem is they're still contributing to the sketch development process to prolong their stay on the show and they're failing at it.  They're incredibly talented but folks like Mikey Day, Punkie Johnson, Molly Kearney, and Chloe Troast bring almost nothing to the table anymore and are just collaborating with writers to justify their screentime. 

And in terms of writers-DiCenzo, Kenward, Nordwind, and a few others.  Either they need to pick up a drug habit or move along because their shit has been sucking despite having weeks and weeks of prep time.  

All that to say, it's cool to bag on SNL year after year like we're all doing cooler shit at 10:30p on a Saturday night (spoiler alert, we're not).  I just watch it as a student of comedy and because it's still an institution that needs to comment on what's happening in America.  And it reminds me of my rebellious youth getting to stay up late to watch it with my late father when my mother would be mortified to know I was listening to George Carlin.  I love it still.  But they need to shed some dead weight before next year.