All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

The ass grinding with her and Heidi with Hamm playing a version of Draper was funny.  It feels like Wiig wanted to take the episode in a different direction from her other times hosting to sort of ‘reboot.’  She felt under-utilized in many ways.  The cameos all absolutely killed.  I like how twisted the whole episode got but it didn’t deliver as many laughs as I was expecting.  

Bowen can beat a theme to death, but I really like him.  He's got physical comedy and musical chops combined that few on the show possess.  I've got a soft spot for Keenan, he's gotten redundant but that's just gonna happen after he's been on the show longer than armybrat has been alive.  Mikey Day is getting less funny by the season, but he's just a good utility player/straight man (in the sense of comedy, not sex).  James Austin Johnson is also becoming more versatile, and of course will always have a job so long as no insane Trumper murders him.  Longfellow and Walker seem to be getting less and less screentime lately, which doesn't bode well for their future no the show.  Marcello Hernandez has been killing it this season, I hope he gets promoted to Repertory.  

But my UT bias acknowledged, Dismukes has been killing lately as well.  He's got funny bones but seemed like he didn't know which way to go early on.  But he has been nailing it lately, hope he sticks around and comes back to Moody College with some coke-fueled stories.  That's my breakdown of the males on the cast.  Next I'll be covering my foursome fantasy with Heidi, Ego, and Chloe.  And oh yeah, they're funny as hell too.  

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Longfellow and Walker seem to be getting less and less screentime lately, which doesn't bode well for their future no the show. 

I really like Longfellow. But with such a big cast it's easy to fade in.

Yeah it annoys me when the main cast can’t keep their shit together and they throw off the timing.  But Heidi breaks very rarely and given ryan’s deadpan  commitment to the bit, watching her lose it.  It’s almost as if they didn’t let her see it during dress.  Funny as fuck.  That’s top 5 for this season.  Ryan’s killing it.   

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

It wasn’t that strong a W/U, maybe just me wanting more OJ jokes.  But Caitlin was fantastic and drove it home.  She has great timing.  Been a really strong episode so far.  Glad I stayed up for it.  Only one sketch fell flat.  See Chris and the ten to one can land it. 

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Greatest country voice of all time?

half baked smoking GIF

I mean…Willie isn’t exactly renowned for his singing chops - it’s everything else that makes him legendary. Stapleton is the best triple threat to grace the genre. 

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good episode, but they missed an opportunity. Tim Meadows as OJ and Sudeikis as Satan would have killed. 

I thought that, too.  i don't know if it was too late notice for everybody, or if Lorne thought it'd be in bad taste so soon, but then part of me really wondered if it was that NBC Senior Exec. that was friends with O.J. that had a hand in firing in Norm McDonald.  I don't remember that guy's name or if he's even still alive.  Or some combination of the three.  

They made a cursory mention of his death on W/U, but immediately pivoted the joke back to Trump and it was kinda lazy.  As stated above, W/U as average until the Caitlin Clark segment.  Two sketches fell flat, but everythjing else from cold open to Stapleton's last song killed it.  Gosling totally committed and it showed.  Top 3 of the season for sure.  Top 10 of the last severral years. 

I have no idea who Dua Lipa is, and I wish her all the best.  But this is gonna be a tough act to follow, literally.   

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I thought that, too.  i don't know if it was too late notice for everybody, or if Lorne thought it'd be in bad taste so soon, but then part of me really wondered if it was that NBC Senior Exec. that was friends with O.J. that had a hand in firing in Norm McDonald.  I don't remember that guy's name or if he's even still alive.  Or some combination of the three.  

They made a cursory mention of his death on W/U, but immediately pivoted the joke back to Trump and it was kinda lazy.  As stated above, W/U as average until the Caitlin Clark segment.  Two sketches fell flat, but everythjing else from cold open to Stapleton's last song killed it.  Gosling totally committed and it showed.  Top 3 of the season for sure.  Top 10 of the last severral years. 

I have no idea who Dua Lipa is, and I wish her all the best.  But this is gonna be a tough act to follow, literally.   

I believe his name was Don Olhmeyer.  Conan basically said it was him that got Norm fired. 

Yeah, that was the name.  Apparently he died a few years ago.  I'm guessing it was just the writers and Lorne trying to think of a clever, but not overly cruel, way to address his death.  Particularly since he was such a key part of so many sketches and W/U bits for years.  But I think they just couldn't make it work with so little time, so just threw it to Che to at least acknowledge it but make it quick and not woefully controversial.  

Here's the sketch that was cut for time, about fonts.  Kyle Mooney makes a comeback appearance.  It made me think of the Helvetica documentary that inspired Gulman's bit about the state abbreviations.  

Can't imbed, but enjoy.  It's pretty dark:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/papyrus-2/NBCE943173762

Edited by YGIFS

20 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I don't know what it is, but the Close Encounters running sketches do absolutely nothing for me. "Let's grind the exact same joke into the ground for 7 minutes."

The very first one they did was hilarious. Every one since has been "watch people break", which BTW, used to be forbidden. Guess Lorne's getting soft. 

21 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I don't know what it is, but the Close Encounters running sketches do absolutely nothing for me. "Let's grind the exact same joke into the ground for 7 minutes."

It's a tired trope, but I think since Gosling had been around 8H for the last two weeks and McKinnon as well, they figured "let's get the band back together."  Just an excuse for a cameo since Ryan made one himself just the week before with Wiig and McKinnon having just hosted.  The three things that still kill me about that bit is the various terms McKinnon describes her breasts/vagina/butthole when talking about the alien treatment of her, the way Gosling tries to keep it together (he's one of the few hosts that doesn't fuck up a sketch when giggling), and then when McKinnon basically camps out under his scrotum for 90 seconds.  

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It's a tired trope, but I think since Gosling had been around 8H for the last two weeks and McKinnon as well, they figured "let's get the band back together."  Just an excuse for a cameo since Ryan made one himself just the week before with Wiig and McKinnon having just hosted.  The three things that still kill me about that bit is the various terms McKinnon describes her breasts/vagina/butthole when talking about the alien treatment of her, the way Gosling tries to keep it together (he's one of the few hosts that doesn't fuck up a sketch when giggling), and then when McKinnon basically camps out under his scrotum for 90 seconds.  

All of this. "From my juicer to my deucer" and "my southmouth" had me rolling and then the probing of Gosling's "troll nose" was the kill shot.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, mchookem said:

my cooter and my pooter

my juicer and my deucer

my grumpy and my dumpy

that's just poetry 🤣

In one of the first ones where she says " I don't think we were dealing with the top brass" killed me.  I use it all the time now. 

Motherfucker. Go buy yourself some George Jones records right away.

Besides George, and Waylon, and Chris, I’m saying Conway Twitty had the greatest voice but the lamest material. His early rockabilly stuff is awesome.

I doubt consider him country but Roy Orbison is the greatest Texas male singer:

3 hours ago, mchookem said:

my cooter and my pooter

my juicer and my deucer

my grumpy and my dumpy

that's just poetry 🤣

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

All of this. "From my juicer to my deucer" and "my southmouth" had me rolling and then the probing of Gosling's "troll nose" was the kill shot.

Others she's done:

My dong hole and my wrong hole

My grassy knoll and my gassy hole

My fun bun & mud gun

My drainer & stainer

My hog taker & log maker

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I rarely watch SNL, although in my youth it was a can't-miss (Belushi, et al).

Last night, I was flipping the channels at 9 PM PDT, and some version of SNL was on.  It was a nightclub scene, with three assholes and I have no idea what was going on, and then some hot chick showed up with a St. Bernard.     

Then they showed the outside of a long-closed restaurant in Oceanside CA...A restaurant that I used to frequent.   Weird..