House of the Dragon

crash_davis

9 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I've been having this same argument on the other forum. Nothing about Rhaenys so far in the show would suggest she would be willing to BBQ members of her own family to achieve an end she only tangentially desires by virtue of her oath to Rhaenyra.

That doesn't mean she can't be a mean ass murdering bitch when it comes to the common folks. I would think that kind of compartmentalizing would be second nature to a lord in a medieval society.

I think in that world, peasants, especially ones cheering for "the enemy" are collateral damage.  Make no mistake, I think Rhaenys is selfish and will do what's best for her and her family, but she's also no reactionary dipshit (looking at you Joffrey).  Pretty sure all royalty has diplomatic immunity when killing Flea Bottom bums.

Alicent gave her an ultimatum. Support Aegon or you will die here. Rhaenys gave her an appropriate answer which was not only am I saying no, I could've killed you and your entire succession very easily. Now I'm off on my dragon to tell Rhaenyra what you've done.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Alicent gave her an ultimatum. Support Aegon or you will die here. Rhaenys gave her an appropriate answer which was not only am I saying no, I could've killed you and your entire succession very easily. Now I'm off on my dragon to tell Rhaenyra what you've done.

It's the Fucked around and find out play

54 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Pretty sure all royalty has diplomatic immunity when killing Flea Bottom bums.

If they were nonchalant about letting an ill tempered onigjt offing one of the high counsel dudes, flea bottomers stand no chance

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah but it’s war and she will not be able to be neutral. If you have a clear shot at winning war, even against family, take your shot. No one wants to be in that position but Otto and Alicent put her there.  They were holding her prisoner and likely to murder her/steal her dragon anyway.  It’s less about desire for power than surviving the changing situation she was thrown into 

Also: not everyone has what it takes to be a killer. It’s one thing to point the weapon, it’s another to pull the trigger.

Yeah, the Otto vs Alicent thing didn't resonate with me. Granted it's only a book/TV series, but it would be political malpractice for them not to have attempted to persuade (and corrupt) Aegon well before the King died. Neither one doing any strategic planning here and while Otto appears to be ahead of the game, he's just following the basic playbook: claim power, destroy enemies. Likewise, the Blacks are just sitting around waiting for something to happen even though it's clear the King will die at some point. 

Also, isn't there supposed to be some bad-ass dragon wandering around in the wild or am I mistaken about that?

32 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

Yeah, the Otto vs Alicent thing didn't resonate with me. Granted it's only a book/TV series, but it would be political malpractice for them not to have attempted to persuade (and corrupt) Aegon well before the King died. Neither one doing any strategic planning here and while Otto appears to be ahead of the game, he's just following the basic playbook: claim power, destroy enemies. Likewise, the Blacks are just sitting around waiting for something to happen even though it's clear the King will die at some point. 

Also, isn't there supposed to be some bad-ass dragon wandering around in the wild or am I mistaken about that?

Aegon couldn't even be found and he was such a beta taht he wouldn't have participated.  He probably would've told Daemon and Rhaeynyra about it.

11 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

I don't think the show did a great job of explaining this. You're talking about vaghar, the current largest dragon. When Leana was 12 and walking with the king she talked about him being out in the wild. Fast forward a few years and she's riding vaghar. I don't remember exactly, but I think she told one of her kids that she went and found him. After she died Aemond took vaghar and is now riding him. 

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

There was a comparison a few pages ago comparing hotd and got characters.  While I agree the got characters were better we’re also comparing 8 seasons vs 1 season of development.  Tough thing to do imo

i made a post like that a few pages ago, and i made sure that several of the videos i posted were from season one:

On 10/13/2022 at 7:21 PM, shadow_operative said:

^^^^^^that is what is missing from this show. fascinating, intelligent, well fleshed out characters, moving the story along with sharp, compelling dialogue, and yes, the occasional bloodbath. 

my favorite shows of all time are the wire, breaking bad, and seasons 1-4 of GoT, with honorable mention going to shows like mad men and better call saul. 80-90% of my favorite scenes from those shows have nothing to do with violence, and everything to do with compelling characters, brilliant writing, and a story worth following. hell, this might be the best scene in all of breaking bad:

just two old, bald, white guys sitting in a dark room, quietly talking. 

theres no need to overthink this, or to jump to the conclusion that anyone who isn't loving this show either "doesn't get it", or simply needs more blood and guts and violence. the show just is not compelling. that's it. the writing is mediocre, the story is plodding, none of the characters are inspiring, there's constant time jumps and changes of actors; the show is just lacking, period. i don't care if this has all been prologue, it's been boring, hard to follow, hard to care about prologue. it's just not very good. the elements are all there, but the execution is severely lacking. the characters, the dialogue, and the story all need drastic improvement, or a lot of people are going to bail on this show when S1 ends. 

S1 GoT gives us Ned Stark, Jamie, Cersei, Tyrion, Littlefinger, Varys, Khal Drogo, Dany Targaryen, Jon Snow, Arya, and more, and that's off the top of my head, and that's only including characters were already interesting by S1. the gulf in class between the writing and the characters in these two shows is gargantuan. i still don't care about anyone in HOTD as much as i did any of those characters whom i named above from GoT. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i made a post like that a few pages ago, and i made sure that several of the videos i posted were from season one:

S1 GoT gives us Ned Stark, Jamie, Cersei, Tyrion, Littlefinger, Varys, Khal Drogo, Dany Targaryen, Jon Snow, Arya, and more, and that's off the top of my head, and that's only including characters were already interesting by S1. the gulf in class between the writing and the characters in these two shows is gargantuan. i still don't care about anyone in HOTD as much as i did any of those characters whom i named above from GoT. 

I wasn't fully invested in every character after 4 episodes though.  It took awhile, but I wasn't a book reader.  Like I didn't care about any of those characters until a few seasons in, and some I still didn't care about.  I'm not emotionally invested in any of the characters except maybe Rhaenerys here? I just find it entertaining. 

In this thread, you're in one of two houses:

House Larys: HoD is Alicent's Feet and I jerk off to it

House Rhaenys: HoD is pissing me off and I want to burn it down, but I'm not quite there yet.

Pledge fealty immediately. Then choose your weapon.

House Larys chooses: "You're too stupid to understand this show because you're on your phone the whole time"

House Rhaenys chooses: "Why haven't they killed off every single character yet?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

In this thread, you're in one of two houses:

House Larys: HoD is Alicent's Feet and I jerk off to it

House Rhaenys: HoD is pissing me off and I want to burn it down, but I'm not quite there yet.

Pledge fealty immediately. Then choose your weapon.

House Larys chooses: "You're too stupid to understand this show because you're on your phone the whole time"

House Rhaenys chooses: "Why haven't they killed off every single character yet?"

Naw; I'm House Daemon. Sometimes I just sit there smirking because I am entertained. Rest of the Houses can fight it out; I'm good either way.

I've seen at least two video recaps so far--both by guys who do a really great job with those things--who have referred to the bug that Helaena is embroidering as a "spider," and attempting to infer some particular symbolism from that in reference to the spy networks of Larys and Mysaria, and Varys in GoT.

Am i the only one who clearly sees the bug has 6 legs, not 8, and looks pretty clearly like a firefly?

They also seemed to think the Beast Beneath the Boards referred to Aegon being hidden under the candle-covered table in whatever religious place that was, when it seemed obvious to me she was talking about Meleys, who burst from beneath the floor at the coronation.

Helaena has become one of the really cool characters, for me.  She seems an autistic-like prophetess,  ignored by everyone around her as she casually predicts all the shit that'll go down.

When she was holding the millipede and mentioned "he'll have to close one eye" which we later discovered referred to Aemond, she said something like "the last one has no legs" or some such.  I wonder if that referred to Brandon Stark, though I've no idea why he'd be the "last one."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

I've seen at least two video recaps so far--both by guys who do a really great job with those things--who have referred to the bug that Helaena is embroidering as a "spider," and attempting to infer some particular symbolism from that in reference to the spy networks of Larys and Mysaria, and Varys in GoT.

Am i the only one who clearly sees the bug has 6 legs, not 8, and looks pretty clearly like a firefly?

They also seemed to think the Beast Beneath the Boards referred to Aegon being hidden under the candle-covered table in whatever religious place that was, when it seemed obvious to me she was talking about Meleys, who burst from beneath the floor at the coronation.

Helaena has become one of the really cool characters, for me.  She seems an autistic-like prophetess,  ignored by everyone around her as she casually predicts all the shit that'll go down.

When she was holding the millipede and mentioned "he'll have to close one eye" which we later discovered referred to Aemond, she said something like "the last one has no legs" or some such.  I wonder if that referred to Brandon Stark, though I've no idea why he'd be the "last one."

1) No, I looked around and found an image and while the body might slightly resemble a spider, it has six legs. I guess one might argue it isn't finished, but, it has little horizontal stripes on its body more like Larys' bug pin, save for any wings. I cannot quite recall what Larys' walking stick bug in that episode looked like exactly. That would still somewhat tie in to Larys and actually somewhat to Aemond (he was there with his brother when Helaena was messing around with her living spider or whatever it was at the funeral. Aemond walks in to the room when she is embroidering that image.

2. Helaena in her own way is like Larys--observing and thinking and people pay her no mind. The way Aemond and Daemon parallel each other (similar but different) I have considered that perhaps Helaena and Larys are designed to parallel each other as well. I think the character Aemond knows not to discount her in the same fashion that Aegon does.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

1) No, I looked around and found an image and while the body might slightly resemble a spider, it has six legs. I guess one might argue it isn't finished, but, it has little horizontal stripes on its body more like Larys' bug pin, save for any wings. I cannot quite recall what Larys' walking stick bug in that episode looked like exactly. That would still somewhat tie in to Larys and actually somewhat to Aemond (he was there with his brother when Helaena was messing around with her living spider or whatever it was at the funeral. Aemond walks in to the room when she is embroidering that image.

2. Helaena in her own way is like Larys--observing and thinking and people pay her no mind. The way Aemond and Daemon parallel each other (similar but different) I have considered that perhaps Helaena and Larys are designed to parallel each other as well. I think the character Aemond knows not to discount her in the same fashion that Aegon does.

The show runners confirmed Larys' sigil--on his cane and on the pins his tongue-less henchmen were wearing--is a firefly.

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 1

Dude we fucking get it. Get some new material.

You don’t have to make the same post over and over. It’s cluttering up the thread for no reason.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

The first battle was Season 2, Episode 9. The second wasn’t until Season 4, Episode 9.

I suppose you could argue there were battles off-screen in season 1.  Wasn't Robb Stark on the move in the first season, and Tryion was sent by Tywin to serve in the vanguard with the mountain tribes?

But your point is valid, as we didn't see any of that action.  And that's assuming I'm remembering correctly when that happened.  It could've been season 2

Edited by Augustus

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Dude we fucking get it. Get some new material.

You don’t have to make the same post over and over. It’s cluttering up the thread for no reason.

??? i'm responding to other peoples posts, if you can't handle it then put me on ignore. also, i make one post for every five that clostohumping, mrs.whiggums, and augustus do, so don't tell me i'm cluttering the thread because i respond to them once or twice a page. get out of your feelings and get over the fact that i'm criticizing the show, jesus. 

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Yes but Derka needs the rest of us to admit the show is awful. We have to hate it as much as he does.

yeah, same thing i just said to buzz rock. god damn y'all are some whiny ass children. i criticize the show by responding to someone twice a page, fucking cry about it more. or better yet, go start the HOTD SAFE SPACE THREAD. christ. 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

your single-mindedness is tiresome.

the rest of us like the show, even if we criticize some of it.  like texas football.

all you do is bitch incessantly, and aint nobody trying to hear that.

wrong. stop buying into your own made up bullshit. i literally said this:

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

THIS is what you're all crying about. are you kidding me? one paragraph, a germane response to another post in this thread, and you're all in here fucking crying over it and claiming that i'm spamming the thread with negativity. gtfo. this is not a safe space. go start a safe space thread if THAT ^^^ is too much for you to handle. jesus titty fucking christ you all some fucking babies. 

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

THIS is what you're all crying about. are you kidding me? one paragraph, a germane response to another post in this thread, and you're all in here fucking crying over it and claiming that i'm spamming the thread with negativity. gtfo. this is not a safe space. go start a safe space thread if THAT ^^^ is too much for you to handle. jesus titty fucking christ you all some fucking babies. 

Oblivion isn't just a tom cruise movie.

6xlgqe.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

don't let the fact that a whole group of you are being hypersensitive, childish, and petty fool you into thinking that means you're right. 

there are people who are smarter than the crowd.

you are not one of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

your single-mindedness is tiresome.

the rest of us like the show, even if we criticize some of it.  like texas football.

all you do is bitch incessantly, and aint nobody trying to hear that.

It feels like most in this thread, like me, just like talking about the show.  🤷‍♂️

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 8:22 PM, Haphap said:

the old King Jahaerys has a dragon that is unaccounted for

He said he was the last person to ride Aegon's dragon Balerion before it died.  He didn't say he ever rode another and given his comments about him complaining his daughter smelled of dragon, I think you can probably assume he didn't have one when he died.

??? i'm responding to other peoples posts, if you can't handle it then put me on ignore. also, i make one post for every five that clostohumping, mrs.whiggums, and augustus do, so don't tell me i'm cluttering the thread because i respond to them once or twice a page. get out of your feelings and get over the fact that i'm criticizing the show, jesus. 

Yeah, there’s the off-screen battle at the end of season one where Tyrion gets knocked out just as it’s starting and we wake up with him after it’s over.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

It feels like most in this thread, like me, just like talking about the show.  🤷‍♂️

and i would be one of those people. my posts are about the show. others post about me. that's what makes me angry. that's what's so mind numbingly tiresome about all of this. "oh i'll just put derka on ignore to fix my experience in this thread." says one of several people on this page who went out of their way to post about me, and not the show. the irony is maddening. 

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

and i would be one of those people. my posts are about the show. others post about me. that's what makes me angry. that's what's so mind numbingly tiresome about all of this. "oh i'll just put derka on ignore to fix my experience in this thread." says one of several people on this page who went out of their way to post about me, and not the show. the irony is maddening. 

Fair, but most of us are talking about the storyline.  Like what's gonna happen, what do you think of character X, who are you rooting for, etc.  You and a couple of others are continuing to come in hot with "this show sucks, if you're entertained you're freaking simpleton, Arya is so much better than all of the adolescents combined."  We get it, you're not a fan of the show and you're only watching because you loved GoT.  

It took me quite a few episodes to warm up to GoT too.  I didn't initially care about Robb, or Jon, or Sansa, Cersei etc.  Eventually it hooked me, but in the beginning there was too much going on, and still some dead spots.  

So far, I haven't taken to the LotR show on Amazon.  I'm not there mucking up that thread because people may like it?  I also don't see anyone neg repping you, yet you're doing it to just about every poster that's finally responding to you.  

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 3

Going out on a limb here, but I'm assuming since I never heard of the Hightower's in GOT, unlike the Lannister's, Baratheon's, etc, that this war does not go well for them. Not only do they probably lose (obvious since we know Targareans keep the throne until the mad king), they probably lose . . . completely.  Like Reins of Castemere type shit.  

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Going out on a limb here, but I'm assuming since I never heard of the Hightower's in GOT, unlike the Lannister's, Baratheon's, etc, that this war does not go well for them. Not only do they probably lose (obvious since we know Targareans keep the throne until the mad king), they probably lose . . . completely.  Like Reins of Castemere type shit.  

Spoilers in link, they're relevant even in GoT:

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/House_Hightower