Texas BBQ

Washpark

Did you get a picture of the menu board/prices?  I was wondering where they were price wise these days.  They have always had lower than normal brisket prices in the past.  Meaning say $5 cheaper than most places it seemed.  

I did not. The order I described plus two 20 Oz Coke Zero was $108. I know brisket is wagyu and was $36/lb and ribs/sausage were $24/lb. Single side $5, pint $9.

1 hour ago, luke duke said:

Was their lease up? I seem to remember Champ saying a few years ago that they may have a future issue with the landlord when their lease was up. Or I could have just made that conversation up.

plenty of investors here

Asking Comedy Central GIF by Lights Out with David Spade

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just back from a 1 day nilgai hunt on the King Ranch; had lunch at Tucker’s BBQ in Raymondville on Friday.   Bark cut off the brisket!  Tasted like it was cooked too fast, too hot.  Potato salad just meh. Broccoli “slaw” was interesting and pretty good.  Do not recommend this place-Whataburger is less than a block away. 

• Like 1

Looks like Champ is going to have to find another pit to run - Good luck Jim, hope it works out for you, missed out on getting to Dozier's my last trip to Houston.

https://www.doziersbbq.com/

Dozier's BBQ

THE LAST FIRES IN THE PITS AT DOZIER’S BBQ WILL BE LIT ON MARCH 30TH, 2024.

We are saddened at this difficult decision,
and it has been an honor to be a part of this community since 1957. 

We invite you to come by for a fond farewell from the Dozier’s family through the end of the month. 

29 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Looks like Champ is going to have to find another pit to run - Good luck Jim, hope it works out for you, missed out on getting to Dozier's my last trip to Houston.

https://www.doziersbbq.com/

Dozier's BBQ

THE LAST FIRES IN THE PITS AT DOZIER’S BBQ WILL BE LIT ON MARCH 30TH, 2024.

We are saddened at this difficult decision,
and it has been an honor to be a part of this community since 1957. 

We invite you to come by for a fond farewell from the Dozier’s family through the end of the month. 

Um....

39 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Champ moved to New Mexico back in 2023.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Daves Smokehouse, Kemah

This is why I dont listen when suburbanites try to give me food/drink recs. Took one bute of the ribs and tossed the plate. I took it to go otherwise if id have seen the plate, I would have sent this shit back

IMG_9866.jpeg

IdgJDS.gif

9 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Thanks - missed that update

In other news, I actually DID go to Dozier's today.  At noon fifteen all they had was brisket and chicken. I had a sliced brisket sandwich.  The moist brisket was fine but the bun was a little stale. When I left, they  were out of everything but said they would have ribs and sausage around 2:30. They still had Jim's slightly sweet sauce on the tables along with Ed's original.

I was hoping to get some stuff from the meat market side but pickins were slim. I picked up a pkg of pecan smoked bacon ends and a ham slug. Was also hoping for some sage sausage and jerky but it was all gone and there won't be any more. 

So long Dozier's.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/19/2024 at 10:18 AM, NoName said:

top of my head, then did a little poking around - and some of these are cheating lol basically going w/ anything that isn'tthe  trinity so that takes out some of the more interesting sausages out there.

• Leroy and Lewis: beef cheek, whole hog
  • Snows: pork steak
  • Reese Bros: carnitas torta + poblano mac (special shoutout to the queso fundito sausage)
  • Hutchins: Texas Twinkie
  • Burnt Bean: yes
  • Eaker BBQ: gochujang pork ribs + any of the korean sides. different glazed pork belly burnt ends
  • Helberg: smoked, then fried chicken (sunday only?)
  • Valentinas: Real Deal Holyfield - honestly any of the breakfast tacos
  • Sunbird: the different glazed pork belly burnt ends
  • CM Smokehouse: Crunchwrap
  • Mum Foods: pastrami
  • Opies: pork chop

other ones i haven't had but probably belong on a list like this

•  @Patricio Swayze (RIP) and others have recommended a number of things from Brisket and Rice.
  • heard very very good things about the lamb chops at Barbs.
  • know a guy who loves the fried chicken from slow bone, and loved it from Pecan Lodge.
  • Tejas Chocolate's carrot souffle belongs on here somewhere.
  • KG BBQ's brisket bowl?

any place that has good sausage, i'm assuming they would do an off menu mel man - chopped brisket + chopped sausage

Barb was very mid, not in the same category as Burnt Bean. Ill never go back to BarB

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 3/24/2024 at 3:28 PM, Horn Draoi said:

Just back from a 1 day nilgai hunt on the King Ranch; had lunch at Tucker’s BBQ in Raymondville on Friday.   Bark cut off the brisket!  Tasted like it was cooked too fast, too hot.  Potato salad just meh. Broccoli “slaw” was interesting and pretty good.  Do not recommend this place-Whataburger is less than a block away. 

hunting pics ???

On 3/26/2024 at 9:07 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Daves Smokehouse, Kemah

This is why I dont listen when suburbanites try to give me food/drink recs. Took one bute of the ribs and tossed the plate. I took it to go otherwise if id have seen the plate, I would have sent this shit back

IMG_9866.jpeg

Animated GIF

Ribbee's is really good. But I prefer the sauce/rub they use at the Goldee's location. The cole slaw is better at Goldee's as well. Goldee's cole slaw is not mayo based. Ribbee's tastes like Chick fil a's. ALSO, I would take a slice or two of their homemade bread over the roll. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Best places to try around Canyon Lake and New Braunfels area?

Kelly's Hill Country Barbecue in WImberly - https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/kellys-hill-country-barbecue/

used to be Creekside Cookers until they closed in 21, then they reopened.

Hays County Barbeque in San Marcos was in the top 50

let me be vert clear, i have NOT been to Nik's Not Normal but have heard positive things from a couple of folks. here is what BBQ Snob himself had to say in the "where to eat BBQ in and around San Antonio" article: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/where-eat-barbecue-san-antonio/

Nik’s Not Normal in Canyon Lake
The lake is a bit of haul from San Antonio, but it’s well worth the drive. The best option among the myriad joints in town is Nik’s Not Normal, which is housed in a colorful food truck. It would be hard to call the barbecue abnormal, but the sliced brisket is admirable, the smoked turkey is juicy, and the sausage is made nearby in New Braunfels. 9941 FM 2673, 832-869-1777

https://www.instagram.com/niksnotnormal/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxnmHYDunD0/

pulled from IG

image.thumb.png.cea9daf4578064e8476a1258bcc1e567.png

to be fair i also saw one that looked like it had about an inch of fat on the top of a piece that had not been rendered at all, so maybe hit and miss. but it's canyon lake for god's sake - not like there are a million choices.

3 hours ago, tigol said:

https://khcbbq.com/

Avoid Coopers unless you get the pork chop.  Black's is in NB, too.  Avoid.

I haven't been here in a while, but I haven't heard any bad reviews:

http://www.hayscobbq.com/our-menu/

you beat me to Kelly's - it's a good rec

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the recs fellas. Damn we are severely lacking in the BBQ game in NB proper I guess. 

Black’s is ok I guess. Way overpriced. My wife likes it so we go there reluctantly.
Coopers is Coopers. I prefer it over Blacks for the Llano nostalgia from the 90s-00s.

I’ll have to try the other places- I’m actually like 15 miles NW of NB so I guess I need to get to Nik’s and Kelly’s soon. 

Best bbq I’ve had since I moved to NB has been smoked in my back yard on my WSM honestly.

IMG_0461.thumb.jpeg.de8d1a9e6c09d2c534ec1984209e77fa.jpegIMG_0548.thumb.jpeg.c4892010abe1cae6104e29b3b1ac8ff0.jpeg

obligatory looks dry as fuck

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1