i cannot recommend them enough.

• you going to be in Austin at weird times? L&L
  • dinner? L&L
  • with other people who may not like BBQ? L&L / Cosmic
  • want beer? L&L / Cosmic
  • want coffee? L&L / Cosmic
  • want something a little different? L&L / other trucks there
  • need a vegan option? L&L
  • with people who don't love traditional BBQ or a lady friend? L&L (barbacado is excellent)

it's worth the trip. it's worth the time. great people. great food. awesome location.

I love L&L.

The main drawback is, brisket's only available on weekends.  It's not a problem for me, they have other great options and I'm typically going there on the weekend anyway.  But for out-of-towners coming in on a Wednesday and wanting BBQ, it should at least be noted that they won't be able to buy brisket there, since brisket is the #1 staple in Texas BBQ.

• Hook 'Em 1

Best part of that article:

1d9813f7fdbbf1ede0e3a8aa96e602c4.jpg

i cannot recommend them enough.
  • you going to be in Austin at weird times? L&L
  • dinner? L&L
  • with other people who may not like BBQ? L&L / Cosmic
  • want beer? L&L / Cosmic
  • want coffee? L&L / Cosmic
  • want something a little different? L&L / other trucks there
  • need a vegan option? L&L
  • with people who don't love traditional BBQ or a lady friend? L&L (barbacado is excellent)
it's worth the trip. it's worth the time. great people. great food. awesome location.

Yep, it’s my go-to place when in Austin. Don’t want to deal with lines (when I drop in on my Fridays off, I might be third in line if not first at 11-11:30). The beef cheeks are amazing and the sausage as well.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Read this article last week. Actually ended up there because Texas Monthly's taco guy Jose Ralat included her "Espegetti Verde" as, perhaps, the very best thing he ate all year in 2022. She's got a cool story (as long as you're open-minded and lean toward inclusivity) and is apparently a badass bbq cook. Looking forward to checking this place out. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Great article.  Looking forward to checking out her 'Q as well.

Regarding "green spaghetti":  Austin's Chez Zee has been making a similar dish for decades.  It's delicious.  The restaurant has admittedly grown very long in the tooth, but that pasta still works.  It's typically linguini served with a jalapeno/gorgonzola/shallot/spinach sauce.  They printed out the recipe for me way back in the day, but of course I lost it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Regarding "green spaghetti":  Austin's Chez Zee has been making a similar dish for decades.  It's delicious.  The restaurant has admittedly grown very long in the tooth, but that pasta still works.  It's typically linguini served with a jalapeno/gorgonzola/shallot/spinach sauce.  They printed out the recipe for me way back in the day, but of course I lost it.

Probably haven't been there in over 10 years, but that is a great dish!

9 hours ago, utee94 said:

I love L&L.

The main drawback is, brisket's only available on weekends.  It's not a problem for me, they have other great options and I'm typically going there on the weekend anyway.  But for out-of-towners coming in on a Wednesday and wanting BBQ, it should at least be noted that they won't be able to buy brisket there, since brisket is the #1 staple in Texas BBQ.

Oh fuck that then. The brisket here in PA is worse than Dickies usually so I need it. 

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Have you had beef cheeks? You should branch out.

I lived in Chicago from 2001 to 2011. When I came home to visit, no one would have been able to talk me into not eating brisket and instead eating beef cheeks.

That being said, those are some killer beef cheeks.

And in a way, L&L not serving brisket acts as a line regulator. People want brisket so the lines are rarely 1 hour+ (at least when I've gone). Can you say that about any of the other joints that made the TM top 5 or 10?

Lisa Fain has a Chuck’s green spaghetti recipe on her site.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Probably haven't been there in over 10 years, but that is a great dish!

Looked back at menu -- this stuff is crack!

GORGONZOLA JALAPENO PASTA

A Chez Zee signature, made with a blend of jalapenos, shallots, spinach, and creamy gorgonzola, tossed with linguini and topped with fresh jalapeno

• Like 1

Hit Reese Bros a couple weekends ago while in San Antonio.  Food is legit. Ordered a 1/4 of meats just to try as much as possible.  Poblano mac and cheese is great, ribs were fantastic and loved the homeade tortillas.  You get to kinds of sauce, one is traditional and the other is kind of a creamy salsa.  All in all would recommend; place is about two blocks south of the Alamo dome right off the highway. 

thumbnail_image0 (3).jpg

thumbnail_image1 (3).jpg

thumbnail_image2 (1).jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

If y’all insist, and don’t want the line of the usual suspects, Maybe Moreno BBQ.

Moreno is a few miles away from me and they're putting out some killer bbq and burgers. I hope more people go support them so they stay open, but not so many people that they start having super long lines. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

Hit Reese Bros a couple weekends ago while in San Antonio.  Food is legit. Ordered a 1/4 of meats just to try as much as possible.  Poblano mac and cheese is great, ribs were fantastic and loved the homeade tortillas.  You get to kinds of sauce, one is traditional and the other is kind of a creamy salsa.  All in all would recommend; place is about two blocks south of the Alamo dome right off the highway. 

thumbnail_image0 (3).jpg

thumbnail_image1 (3).jpg

thumbnail_image2 (1).jpg

did you try that strawberry cobbler? that sounds pretty damn interesting

did you try that strawberry cobbler? that sounds pretty damn interesting

I live in Houston and have driven over 3 times because I love that spot and want longhorns to be successful. Alas, I am so fucking full at the end of the meal to try the cobbler. Hell, I probably shouldn’t be driving after that meal.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I live in Houston and have driven over 3 times because I love that spot and want longhorns to be successful. Alas, I am so fucking full at the end of the meal to try the cobbler. Hell, I probably shouldn’t be driving after that meal.

Comedy Quit GIF by CBC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I understand it’s ‘Lockhart’, but a very odd choice to relocate 

Agreed.  I mean that town seems pretty BBQ heavy as is and with the new Terry Blacks they kinda have the alternative to the old school joints.  You would have just thought there was better towns that are in real need of legit BBQ. 

Exactly. It almost seems as if she wants to make a shocking political statement as much as she wants to make great bbq.

There is so much money to be made in Texas small towns that are turning into large towns that have no great barbecue. She could make bank in Granbury, Weatherford, Graham, Gainesville, Cleburne, Waxahachie all need a place. There is a bbq desert from south Arlington and Mansfield to Duncanville and Cedar Hill. Even downtown Ft Worth.

Exactly. It almost seems as if she wants to make a shocking political statement as much as she wants to make great bbq.

There is so much money to be made in Texas small towns that are turning into large towns that have no great barbecue. She could make bank in Granbury, Weatherford, Graham, Gainesville, Cleburne, Waxahachie all need a place. There is a bbq desert from south Arlington and Mansfield to Duncanville and Cedar Hill. Even downtown Ft Worth.

Um, what political statement would remotely apply?

Lockhart is a cool town and is responsible for the evolution of top tier bbq. I don’t find it strange at all.

You sound oddly butthurt.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, tigol said:

Lockhart is a cool town and is responsible for the evolution of top tier bbq. I don’t find it strange at all.

lot of guys have a fetish of banging a smart, hot, bbq pit master Latina !!!

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Hate seeing Chuck leave Ft Worth for Lockhart. She could make a fortune in Mansfield.

someone can correct me if i'm wrong but it's the whole employee vs owner situation. she wasn't a founder at Goldees and is at Barbs. wonder if she got offered some $$$? in the Fain article above she talked about a food truck in Austin and is now at a B&M in downtown Lockhart.

1 hour ago, tigol said:

i'm trying to get to the political statement myself but am not connecting dots or even seeing any dots? maybe because it's 3 lady pitmasters?

https://www.barbsbq.com/pages/about

Regarding "politics":  I'm not going to re-read the article, but as I recall one partner is trans and one or more partners might be gay. 
The horror.

Oh for fucks sake.

Fuck bigots.

I’ll find out if the cue is good when they open, but I just bought a t-shirt. I hope it is offensive to bigotry everywhere.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Heim and Panther City are within a 5-10 drive from downtown FTW.

someone can correct me if i'm wrong but it's the whole employee vs owner situation. she wasn't a founder at Goldees and is at Barbs. wonder if she got offered some $$$? in the Fain article above she talked about a food truck in Austin and is now at a B&M in downtown Lockhart.

I celebrate her wanting her own joint and finding a path to open one. I just think she could establish a destination level place in a market so far untapped or vacant of great product and make bank. I’ve eaten her barbecue and it’s righteous which is all I give a shit about.

I celebrate her wanting her own joint and finding a path to open one. I just think she could establish a destination level place in a market so far untapped or vacant of great product and make bank. I’ve eaten her barbecue and it’s righteous which is all I give a shit about.

Ok…so then why bring political statement into it? Maybe she knows that Lockhart BBQ mostly sucks now or is mediocre and wants to bring great bbq back to a hallowed place in Texas bbq history.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

so the political comment was based on nothing and you just talking shit for the sake of talking shit because you don't know anything about the situation or why she and her co-founders picked Lockhart.

ultimately you think she would have been better off in some shit town like Mansfield...instead of Lockhart? i didn't see you making comments about this when Terry Blacks opened there. were they making a political statement too instead of opening in say Georgetown or Kyle or Bastrop  or San Marcos or Dripping Springs?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Ok…so then why bring political statement into it? Maybe she knows that Lockhart BBQ mostly sucks now or is mediocre and wants to bring great bbq back to a hallowed place in Texas bbq history.

Would make sense if Terry Blacks wasn't there. Great modern BBQ has already been established at Lockhart. 

I guess the "political statement" could be shoving LGBT right in the heart of traditional conservative Texas BBQ homeland. That's the only thing I can think of he could have meant, but I don't even know how conservative Lockhart is these days. Maybe she just wants to live in Lockhart for whatever reason. 

Too bad she came a bit late. Texas BBQ is jumping the shark. Prime ribeye prices for a garbage cut of beef that people figured out how to trick up. Great brisket is tasty, but it's not equally well prepared ribeye tasty. Juice just ain't worth the squeeze. How far can this go? $40/ lb? $50?