Texas BBQ

Washpark

3 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Hitting Truth today for the first time today...excited.

Am I going to be SOL if I get there at 11:30? They open at 11

Side recs?  I'm generally a potato salad/Mac/cheese guy..

You'll be totally fine at that time, especially with the weather today. I wouldn't say I'm a side conneuseuir, but the potato salad and mac & cheese are both good.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hitting Truth today for the first time today...excited.
Am I going to be SOL if I get there at 11:30? They open at 11
Side recs?  I'm generally a potato salad/Mac/cheese guy..

I went yesterday in this weather. I walked out at 11:30 and the line was probably 30 deep.

I know nothing of their sides. Love the spicy pepper Jack sausage.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I went yesterday in this weather. I walked out at 11:30 and the line was probably 30 deep.

Nice.  Was hoping you'd chime in.  I needed a 2nd meat to go with my brisket too.

Boom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I went yesterday at 1 pm.  Only had brisket left.  Patty S ate all the ribs and sausage.  El Bastardo.  

• Like 1

Ended up waiting about 40 min...got there at 11:15 or so.

340065606_958341908912380_49052052673910

Lean brisket was a little dry and the brisket in general while good, was cold.  Like blow room temp cold.

I expected to be blown away and was firmly underwhelmed with it.

Spicy Pepperjack link was great a were the sides.   

I'll give them another shot in the future

5 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

340065606_958341908912380_49052052673910

Lean brisket was a little dry and the brisket in general while good, was cold.  Like blow room temp cold.

Lean brisket?  WTH?  Why?  

• Hook 'Em 1

340065606_958341908912380_4905205267391042114_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Wdr1AYzwBz4AX_mvnqy&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=00_AfB-mTLLFtKOJ7h5Rw8KQlsgZmVsH7PPLbOUEQ9zAgukgA&oe=64347382

That surprises me. First that one would order lean. Sorry it underwhelmed you. They are by far the most consistent spot I have been to. But I don’t eat bbq very much.

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

If your brisket was cold why wouldn’t, in a pleasant tone, ask for a reboot?  Quality places have no problem with that. 

I had already stood in line for 40 minutes and didn't want to fuck with returning anything.

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

Who was the cutter? Gringo, mês skin or black dude?

gringo...young-ish kid

On a properly cooked brisket the lean should be tender, moist, and delicious.  I vastly prefer lean over fatty brisket.

I think most folks know this. However, you know it’s the roll of the dice at many places. Even great places. I just stick to fatty because it’s awesome and typically not fucked up.

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I think most folks know this. However, you know it’s the roll of the dice at many places. Even great places. I just stick to fatty because it’s awesome and typically not fucked up.

I don't agree.  I don't think most folks know this at all.  I think most folks expect the lean to be dry and crappy, hence all of the incredulity on this site every time someone says, what I just said. 

I don't like the texture of fatty brisket, it's subjective of course.  But if a place doesn't get the lean right, then I won't be ordering brisket from them again.  

I don't agree.  I don't think most folks know this at all.  I think most folks expect the lean to be dry and crappy, hence all of the incredulity on this site every time someone says, what I just said. 
I don't like the texture of fatty brisket, it's subjective of course.  But if a place doesn't get the lean right, then I won't be ordering brisket from them again.  

Well, regardless…Truth knows brisket.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, regardless…Truth knows brisket.

I believe you, I've never had Truth, I'm making no comment on them.

Just pointing out that lots of people like, and even prefer, lean brisket.  And it's not some ridiculous opinion, lean brisket is fantastic when a brisket is properly cooked. Plenty of places get it right.

But I'll also point out that food pics of brisket often come out looking dry af even when it was perfect.

• Like 1

Stopped at Interstellar today.  Got there about 10 minutes prior to opening and was eating around 11:45.  They are not the most efficient joint.  Moist brisket, pulled lamb shoulder, and jalapeno slaw for lunch.  Great as always.  Picked up a pound and a half of peach glazed pork belly burnt ends for Easter Sunday.  Picked up two bowls of brisket chili for dinner tonight - probably the last good chili weather until fall.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Austin’s best barbecue truck, LeRoy and Lewis, opening a restaurant in South Austin

Austin’s best barbecue truck is getting a restaurant to call its own. 

LeRoy and Lewis Barbecue will open in deep South Austin at 5621 Emerald Forest Drive later this year, expanding on the owners’ new school approach to old school barbecue. 

Evan LeRoy first came to the attention of Austin barbecue lovers working in a restaurant, campus-area Freedmens, and the pitmaster says he’s been thinking about a restaurant since before he and partner Sawyer Lewis opened their food truck at Cosmic Coffee & Beer off South Congress Avenue in 2017. 

The first generation restaurant space is in the same neighborhood where the Austin native and St. Michael’s Catholic Academy graduate grew up and where he and his family live.

“We couldn’t pass up this specific space. It was just so good, and in the neighborhood we want,” said LeRoy, who has been working with his partners for years on plans for a brewpub that they've shelved in the near term to focus on the new project.

LeRoy says that he's always been confined with his output, both at the limited kitchen of Freedmens and in the small space provided by the food truck, which relies on output from the operation’s commissary kitchen. 

“The thing that I’m most excited about is having all the equipment I’ve never had before. I’m really proud of what we’ve done so far,” LeRoy said of the food truck that landed the second spot in the American-Statesman's most recent barbecue rankings. “But we can’t fully express what we want to.”

With a spacious restaurant that has enough room for smokers, a fryer, a wood grill and a mixer for breads, LeRoy is excited to take his barbecue operation to the next level.

“You can expect the same ideas we’ve always held true to: local sourcing, whole animal butchery and really expanding on the ideas that we’ve established at the food truck,” LeRoy said.

The menu will include beef cheeks and brisket, just like the truck, but not all the time (just like the truck), an expanded roster of burgers, citra hop sausage, and scratch-made sides. The restaurant, which will start with weekend service and eventually expand to lunch and dinner daily, will also feature a full bar and a retail operation selling LeRoy and Lewis’s barbecue sauce, rubs, merchandise and more. 

The counter-service restaurant, which is being designed by OPA Design Studio, Helms Workshop, and McCray & Co.and, will “aim to pay homage to a nostalgic old school barbecue experience of a barbecue line service style with the team’s new school brand of hospitality in a fun, relaxed atmosphere,” according to the owners. 

Fans of the truck need not worry about losing their favorite outdoor barbecue spot. The LeRoy and Lewis truck is adding a new trailer and has no intention of leaving its home at Cosmic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Austin’s best barbecue truck, LeRoy and Lewis, opening a restaurant in South Austin

Austin’s best barbecue truck is getting a restaurant to call its own. 

LeRoy and Lewis Barbecue will open in deep South Austin at 5621 Emerald Forest Drive later this year, expanding on the owners’ new school approach to old school barbecue. 

Evan LeRoy first came to the attention of Austin barbecue lovers working in a restaurant, campus-area Freedmens, and the pitmaster says he’s been thinking about a restaurant since before he and partner Sawyer Lewis opened their food truck at Cosmic Coffee & Beer off South Congress Avenue in 2017. 

The first generation restaurant space is in the same neighborhood where the Austin native and St. Michael’s Catholic Academy graduate grew up and where he and his family live.

“We couldn’t pass up this specific space. It was just so good, and in the neighborhood we want,” said LeRoy, who has been working with his partners for years on plans for a brewpub that they've shelved in the near term to focus on the new project.

LeRoy says that he's always been confined with his output, both at the limited kitchen of Freedmens and in the small space provided by the food truck, which relies on output from the operation’s commissary kitchen. 

“The thing that I’m most excited about is having all the equipment I’ve never had before. I’m really proud of what we’ve done so far,” LeRoy said of the food truck that landed the second spot in the American-Statesman's most recent barbecue rankings. “But we can’t fully express what we want to.”

With a spacious restaurant that has enough room for smokers, a fryer, a wood grill and a mixer for breads, LeRoy is excited to take his barbecue operation to the next level.

“You can expect the same ideas we’ve always held true to: local sourcing, whole animal butchery and really expanding on the ideas that we’ve established at the food truck,” LeRoy said.

The menu will include beef cheeks and brisket, just like the truck, but not all the time (just like the truck), an expanded roster of burgers, citra hop sausage, and scratch-made sides. The restaurant, which will start with weekend service and eventually expand to lunch and dinner daily, will also feature a full bar and a retail operation selling LeRoy and Lewis’s barbecue sauce, rubs, merchandise and more. 

The counter-service restaurant, which is being designed by OPA Design Studio, Helms Workshop, and McCray & Co.and, will “aim to pay homage to a nostalgic old school barbecue experience of a barbecue line service style with the team’s new school brand of hospitality in a fun, relaxed atmosphere,” according to the owners. 

Fans of the truck need not worry about losing their favorite outdoor barbecue spot. The LeRoy and Lewis truck is adding a new trailer and has no intention of leaving its home at Cosmic.

i think they moved their commissary kitchen a few months ago or around the first of the year?

either way, good for them. good folks. great BBQ.

<10 min to their new spot from the truck

image.png.16e7caadde717ee5954db43b4965e426.png

Edited by NoName

As far as lean or fatty I usuall love a slice of the fatty.  BUT if you are going to judge a place I would say judge them on their lean.   Also if you said what's a good slice of brisket to judge I'd say when you take that brisket and seperate the lean from the fatty.  That first slice of lean where you seperated is the slice i would want someone to judge my brisket on. 

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I was just telling my wife I need to get some picanha from the butcher. Need to set a reminder. “Matar as saudades” as they say.

HEB has picanha in the case - both choice and prime.  Sometimes hard to find because the put the fat cap down.

13 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

It works perfectly 

Yeah.  I've had Helberg's version.  Just keep forgetting to throw it on cabbage at home.

• Like 1