Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 4/14/2023 at 10:47 AM, 4th&Five said:

Best options for midweek between Dallas and Houston that won’t have much of a line?

McKenzies in Huntsville?  The ribs are always good.  Their brisket is not my favorite.

On 4/15/2023 at 12:20 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, did you make it?

Holy cow. You were 100 percent correct, as usual. That's some fantastic bbq. Brisket was phenomenal. Carnitas were porky as hell. That's a great sausage. I'm going to go eat a bite of leftovers now. If you go, don't sleep on that cobbler. Also those are two of my favorite sides ever - their potato salad is amazing and that poblano mac is in the running for the best side in Texas BBQ. House tortillas.

DEB0A4AE-17C2-4A75-8558-3D539F139C33.thumb.jpeg.ef171920961e59818b2351e4f611c535.jpeg

A15B5ACF-D858-414F-8C97-F22E719AC936.thumb.jpeg.36f6a57cba7f1ed1c77be4af24dc74ca.jpeg

4DB5A637-B6A3-42B3-B29A-C9F5A565FD95.thumb.jpeg.324efc03589c09b6beec5f4b188a27a5.jpeg

Don't mess with parking on the street or across of it. Go park off of Virginia Ave...follow the sign. Drive around and go in the back entrance.

edit to add info on the line: when i got there at like 1115 on Saturday there was 1 person ahead of me in line. by 1130 there were like 5-8 groups in line, but still went pretty fast. they have a ton of seating options, like 3-4 different "sections" so just pick one somewhere and if it's busy at the front by the bathrooms just keep going back. but you better go soon, those guys are going to blow up in the next few months.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Fuck yeah man. Glad you liked it. They have shot to my favorite in SA. And 2M is fantastic (the idea of pickled nopales with brisket is genius and delicious), but damn them boys at Reese are kicking ass.

2m catered my rehersal dinner, I love those guys. But I'd do Reese Bros if it was tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 11:32 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Brisket and Rice again. 4th time and again, amazing lunch. I talked to Hong about Daniel stopping by as we had previously talked about the hope of him noticing them. He let me know the article came out yesterday:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/brisket-and-rice/

Really happy for them. It was pretty busy when I was there at 11-11:30, but no real line. Three slices of delicious brisket and they threw in several burnt ends. So goddamn good. I told him I told a bunch of assholes online to visit. He laughed. Y’all need to come through.

c2660d16bc68d964e36fde6d072df9e8.jpg

TikTok food blogger : you don’t even need teeth for this brisket !

On 4/15/2023 at 5:03 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I have driven over to SA for the sole purpose of eating lunch at Reese Bros, but there are folks who can’t leave the loop in Houston to go check out Brisket and Rice. Pinche pendejos.

I was thinking it was SW Houston (thinking Chinatown I guess) but realized it’s actually only 15 minutes from me so I’m going to go Friday for lunch. What’s the line/wait situation like?

I was thinking it was SW Houston (thinking Chinatown I guess) but realized it’s actually only 15 minutes from me so I’m going to go Friday for lunch. What’s the line/wait situation like?

Before the article came out, there wasn’t one. Maybe two folks in front of you. When I ate there last Friday, there wasn’t much of a line either but most of the tables were full. Problem is parking.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/12/2023 at 12:26 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I disagree that Reese Bros is not worth ordering. I think it is every bit as good as 2M, which I love.

Overall, these are my 10 favorite spots, in no particular order (not that anyone asked or cares):

Truth
Brisket & Rice
Leroy & Lewis
Burnt Bean
Tejas
Reese Bros
Valentina’s
Butter’s
2M
Lavaca (although my pops said last time he went he was disappointed, need to confirm)

@immamac could we please get this pinned? And @Patricio Swayze, any chance we could get you to keep this updated and also add locations for bbq novices like me? Much easier than scrolling through this thread whenever I’m trying to find good recs. 

• Like 2

[mention=397]immamac[/mention] could we please get this pinned? And [mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention], any chance we could get you to keep this updated and also add locations for bbq novices like me? Much easier than scrolling through this thread whenever I’m trying to find good recs. 

Hahaha. I mean, it’s just my opinion. I guess some other folks agree. Some agree to disagree.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Damnit. Having Brisket & Rice closer to me than Truth and no lines is going to ruin me. Although my work schedule is about to change to in the office Wednesday and Thursday, so fewer days to be tempted.

So 4th visit, same absolutely delicious results. I think 4 visits is enough sample size to feel comfortable saying it’s Truth and Brisket & Rice as the best in metro Houston. Come at me.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Damnit. Having Brisket & Rice closer to me than Truth and no lines is going to ruin me. Although my work schedule is about to change to in the office Wednesday and Thursday, so fewer days to be tempted.

So 4th visit, same absolutely delicious results. I think 4 visits is enough sample size to feel comfortable saying it’s Truth and Brisket & Rice as the best in metro Houston. Come at me.

What's your go-to order at B&R? I'm going to try to make it up there next week despite having to drive by Truth to get there.

26 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

best in cypress for sure 

That's really cool that they have fused Texas BBQ and Asian cuisine, at least to some extent.  Next time I'm in Houston I hope to check it out.

There are two other fusion-ish bbq spots in Houston. Blood Brothers, which does a few more Asian inspired items, is good but I don’t think they are great.

Khoi BBQ is the other. I haven’t tried them yet because they do mostly pop ups. I really want to try them. Their pitmaster has been appearing on food network a lot lately.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

There are two other fusion-ish bbq spots in Houston. Blood Brothers, which does a few more Asian inspired items, is good but I don’t think they are great.

Khoi BBQ is the other. I haven’t tried them yet because they do mostly pop ups. I really want to try them. Their pitmaster has been appearing on food network a lot lately.

I'm a big fan of Blood Bros brisket fried rice. Other than that, I agree it's good, but not top tier.

I also want to try Khoi. They were doing a pop-up at Tenfold Coffee a few months back on the same day as Evelyn Garcia. Was there for Evelyn's pop-up and didn't know ahead of time that Khoi was there so didn't get to try their stuff, but it looked amazing.

• Like 1

Since we've sidetracked into Houston-area brisket fried rice, the version of it at Blind Goat is significantly better than what I've had at Blood Bros.  Not a BBQ restaurant, but a good BBQ-adjacent dish I guess.

I’m not one to follow all the restaurants in Houston, but that sounds like something aggy would selectively breed.

But I should try the fried rice sometime.

On 4/17/2023 at 11:23 AM, cactusflinthead said:

Thanks for the heads up. Enjoying it 

Shoepf's definitely upped their game, while Miller's has sold out, but still gets the crowds. I'd take Shoep's all day long between the two nowdays, though I can't afford either one very often.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, DougO said:

Shoepf's definitely upped their game, while Miller's has sold out, but still gets the crowds. I'd take Shoep's all day long between the two nowdays, though I can't afford either one very often.

Yeah it was 40 bucks for lunch. The brisket Mac n cheese was kinda meh. Brisket, ribs, and the sausage did not disappoint.