Texas @ #20 Baylor---30 October, 11:00a-CDT (ABC)

Guest Lobo

Should help us about a bit, the early kickoff.  Then again, rape-embracing cultures are just as rough in the morning as in primetime because they "don't drink."  

Fuck everything that is Baylor and Baptist.  Fuck them all to the cores of their soul.  I wish their campus was vanquished to the depths of hell.  Meantime, we'll have to settle for a 10-point win.  

I'd like to think that with an early kickoff and early upset of Texas, Baylor students will be less likely to go out and rape in the name of their Church.  So at the very least our precarious position will save some trauma, and possibly some lives.  Because you know, Baylor Baptists are human pieces of shit that have been enabled by disgusting leaders that should have all died in a prison fire.  

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Can we get a 10am kickoff? Team gets tired by 1pm and needs a nap. 10am seems like the sweet spot for this team. 

You maybe on to something here. I say we play on NBCsN at 9:30 and have Rebecca Lowe do the pre-game. By 1pm the game will be over and there will be no time for a comeback. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mdmost said:

It's as if the Big 12 TV partners just decided to stop showing more than one night game. I'm almost hoping the Kansas game can fall to the LHN so we can impose the 6pm kickoff on there. 

It will fall to the LHN according to Tier III rights.  But LHN won't put it on at 6:00p because of the highly anticipated Texas/Gonzaga hoops game at 9:30p.  Maybe 5:00p at latest.  But UT wants it as early as possible to get most eyes on both games.  I'm crossing fingers for late as possible but not holding my breath.  

Don't be surprised that one of our away games with ISU & WVU is at 11:00a plus KU and KSU at 11:00a.  

Some good news, Texas will sure as shit not be participating in the 11:00am Big XII Championship game in December.  And The Cheez-It Bowl or Liberty Bowls are comfortably after dark.  

Does rapelor have a bye week same as we do, or are we the only team that has to play an opponent that gets two weeks to heal and prep?

Yes, I can't be fucked to look up their schedule at the moment, it's tough to balance work and surly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Should help us about a bit, the early kickoff.  Then again, rape-embracing cultures are just as rough in the morning as in primetime because they "don't drink."  

Fuck everything that is Baylor and Baptist.  Fuck them all to the cores of their soul.  I wish their campus was vanquished to the depths of hell.  Meantime, we'll have to settle for a 10-point win.  

WTF is this thread title? I don't understand.

ABC/Big XII announced the kickoff time for one of our football games today.  I thought I'd list it since it's the intercollegiate contest of men's football taking place on our schedule.  Kinda serves as a thread where we can talk about the game before we switch over to an actual game preview thread/in-game thread.  Feel free to delete, just thought I'd get the ball rolling early.  

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Can we get a 10am kickoff? Team gets tired by 1pm and needs a nap. 10am seems like the sweet spot for this team. 

Maybe we can just schedule the nap during halftime, since this staff doesn't seem so great with adjustments and coaching up for the second half.

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

Should help us about a bit, the early kickoff. Then again, rape-embracing cultures are just as rough in the morning as in primetime because they "don't drink."  

Fenves: “15% of undergraduate women at UT Austin reported that they had been raped . . . . Furthermore, 28% of undergraduate women at UT Austin said they were the victims of unwanted sexual touching, and 12% experienced attempted rape.” Does 55% qualify as “rape-embracing culture?”
https://president.utexas.edu/messages-speeches-2017/results-of-sexual-assault-survey

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

At least he was trying to be transparent and get to root causes instead of blaming the women, giving football players a pass, and manipulating the local justice system.

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

ABC/Big XII announced the kickoff time for one of our football games today.  I thought I'd list it since it's the intercollegiate contest of men's football taking place on our schedule.  Kinda serves as a thread where we can talk about the game before we switch over to an actual game preview thread/in-game thread.  Feel free to delete, just thought I'd get the ball rolling early.  

what the hell is (RV)

So we play another team with a shitty QB and a decent running game. Bet we play an odd front and let the QB sit back in the pocket, while our CBs drop 8-9 yards just before the snap. Of course, I also look forward to our missed alignments where we leave 3 WRs to be defended by 1 person, while our entire defense looks to the sideline for the play call.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

So we play another team with a shitty QB and a decent running game. Bet we play an odd front and let the QB sit back in the pocket, while our CBs drop 8-9 yards just before the snap. Of course, I also look forward to our missed alignments where we leave 3 WRs to be defended by 1 person, while our entire defense looks to the sideline for the play call.

this. the 8-9 yard cushions was fucking maddening. 

we were late lining up constantly.  another case of some new fancy pants D coordinator coming in with Diaz level shit and 7 games into the season after shitting the bed we are now going to simplify.

OSU PTSD

39 minutes ago, immamac said:

what the hell is (RV)

Received votes.  I cut and pasted it from a place that puts that in front any team receiving votes.  Baylor #20 is their rank. 

• immamac changed the title to Texas @ #20 Baylor---30 October, 11:00a-CDT (ABC)

Baylor's offense has one big move. They run outside stretch zone like we used to do in the Victor Ike days. It's a really simple scheme where the OL sort of trots out wide-side and tries to widen out the defensive front until the RB finds a gap and cuts upfield. They have a very disciplined back fast enough to exploit creases in Tristan Ebner. He doesn't break tackles, but likes his open space.

Other parts are based off that scheme dulling the defense. Instead of trotting wide-side, the QB can hold the ball, wait for the OL to get moving left, then work right with his RB. Conversely, passing occurs when the defense goes on auto-pilot. The primary target is Tyquan Thornton. He is a legit threat and understands how to get behind defenses.

Bohannen is good enough to throw to an open receiver. He picks his spots. I feel like I've witnessed PK's tendencies to avoid getting burned by the pass by allowing run after run after run to gash the defense - all the while waiting for the surprise pass that never comes. This isn't the game to do that. Bohannen won't be able to break a defense with his passing acumen. Keep the safeties down, play shallow zones, compress the run game, and dare the QB to dazzle.

Texas knows what it doesn't do well on defense. There's two weeks for the coaching staff to prepare for a predictable opponent that wants to go right at Texas' problem areas of assignment football and tackling. We'll need to improve as a program and not just scheme away from deficiencies. We're better than Baylor at every position, but aren't playing like it.

This isn't a "we should win" game. If the same Texas team returns after two weeks, we're seeing about a 34-28 loss. If the first Texas defender starts arresting the ball carrier, this is a 45-17 statement.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Baylor's offense has one big move. They run outside stretch zone like we used to do in the Victor Ike days. It's a really simple scheme where the OL sort of trots out wide-side and tries to widen out the defensive front until the RB finds a gap and cuts upfield. They have a very disciplined back fast enough to exploit creases in Tristan Ebner. He doesn't break tackles, but likes his open space.

Other parts are based off that scheme dulling the defense. Instead of trotting wide-side, the QB can hold the ball, wait for the OL to get moving left, then work right with his RB. Conversely, passing occurs when the defense goes on auto-pilot. The primary target is Tyquan Thornton. He is a legit threat and understands how to get behind defenses.

Bohannen is good enough to throw to an open receiver. He picks his spots. I feel like I've witnessed PK's tendencies to avoid getting burned by the pass by allowing run after run after run to gash the defense - all the while waiting for the surprise pass that never comes. This isn't the game to do that. Bohannen won't be able to break a defense with his passing acumen. Keep the safeties down, play shallow zones, compress the run game, and dare the QB to dazzle.

Texas knows what it doesn't do well on defense. There's two weeks for the coaching staff to prepare for a predictable opponent that wants to go right at Texas' problem areas of assignment football and tackling. We'll need to improve as a program and not just scheme away from deficiencies. We're better than Baylor at every position, but aren't playing like it.

This isn't a "we should win" game. If the same Texas team returns after two weeks, we're seeing about a 34-28 loss. If the first Texas defender starts arresting the ball carrier, this is a 45-17 statement.

where do we send $9.95 ?

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

Received votes.  I cut and pasted it from a place that puts that in front any team receiving votes.  Baylor #20 is their rank. 

I thought it was pretty obvious.  I guess the normal nomenclature we use around here is "ORV" short for "Others Receiving Votes" but given it was the preface for Texas, while #20 was the preface for rapelor, it seemed pretty clear to me.

Edited by utee94

I'll be honest, I like 11 a.m. games, unless the matchup is big. *ducks* 

If college football is going to turn a 60 minute game into 4 hours, let's get it done early. Now, a top 10 matchup -- those are fun at night. But 4-3 Texas versus #20 Baylor? Who cares if it's at 11? 

Yeah, I use some bizarre terminology on this board, but I thought college football fans had seen "RV" before next to a team's name, particularly when the other team is listed traditionally, with their own numeric rank, if any.  

I guess technically we're #37, behind teams we beat like Louisiana.  But ahead of Fresno State!  

Maybe we crack #30 during this bye week.  Good news we knock off Baylor, we're back in the Top 25.  For a week, until Ames.  I think we can close out 3-0 in November, but these two road games are just coming at a brutal time for us.  One team is better than expected (BAY), one is slightly worse (ISU) but plays a more complete game (that pesky second half the NCAA is always making us play).  We'll get optimistic and fired up later this month, for now---I'd be happy to just split the two games with the Bears & ISU.  

48 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

He's taken a back seat to former LB Abram Smith lately who is the break tackle back.

2021 so far-

Smith: 105 carries, 785 yards, 7.5 ypc, 10 TD

Ebner: 77 carries, 496 yards, 6.4 ypc, 0 TD

The last 2 weeks...

BYU-

Smith: 27 carries, 188 yards, 8 ypc, 3 TD

Ebner: 11 carries, 95 yards, 8.6 ypc, 0 TD

WVU-

Smith: 11 carries, 87 yards, 7.9 ypc, 1 TD

Ebner: 8 carries, 53 yards, 6.6 ypc, 0 TD

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

He's taken a back seat to former LB Abram Smith lately who is the break tackle back.

2021 so far-

The last 2 weeks...

BYU-

WVU-

Yep.  Ebner's more of a dual threat RB that also catches the ball out of the backfield as well as returning punts/kicks.  Smith is the hammer.  

15 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

2021 so far-

The last 2 weeks...

BYU-

WVU-

Agreed. I suppose Ebner posts the highlights. Abram Smith is stronger and is the current focus.

Baylor plays defense with their offense. They're not plodding, but football still comes down to running the ball.

On defense, Baylor relies on the magic provided by two very talented LBs in  Jalen Pitre and Terrel Bernard. Whenever Baylor is making stops and plays, it's almost exclusively because these two were involved.

The DL is pedestrian at best. They have an LSU transfer DT in Siaka Ika who's decent, but can only stay on the field for 4 or 5 plays. Really, they're there to hold up blockers until Bernard or Pitre can make a play. I'd actually consider what would happen if an offense were to use their own "spy" and just tell a TE to find Bernard and block him no matter what else was happening. I'd be content playing 10 on 10 with Bernard limited.

The longer a play takes to develop, the more likely it is these two LBs disrupt it. The Baylor secondary is propped up by these limitations because they won't factor on the back end otherwise. The Texas "skill" players can run by them, but only if the LBs are given something else to worry about.

Texas likely won't get more than 8-10 possessions. Wasting them on speculative play actions just puts more pressure on the Texas defense to grow up. I need the Joshua Moore that catches passes to show up in Waco. More of the Bijan/Roschon/Kelian triad will ask the Baylor defense to find their own great players.

Wasting possessions will make for a long day of watching the opponent's stretch offense spill 8 yard gains. Be violent and intentional with every snap.