Do we have a McAullife vs. Younkin thread?

Gil Bang

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Are you really stupid enough to fall for a Politician doing blatantly PR thing for attention that has no practical effect?

Why would a I take the time to traverse a pacific container ship through the Panama Canal, then send it to Florida instead of Houston?

I guess they can keep stacking up. The fiancee's dad who's a longshoreman say's they've actually been 20% more efficient, but still way behind here in PNW. I don't think Biden's plan will help either.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/biden-hopes-fines-on-lingering-cargo-containers-ease-congestion-at-major-us-ports/ar-AAPZ1fQ

39 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You red hats sure made hay every time the Dow hit a new record. Are you telling me that y'all were just mindlessly cheering on whatever the Party and Dear Leader told you to?

Tbh, I really don't think anything is gonna change until shit gets even worse. The gqp al quaeda isn't hurting enough yet, and they still believe anything they're told by tucker more than their lying eyes. 

Right now, you've got high school educated farmers advocating for turning on oil pipelines for no policy reason besides "oil good regulation bad", nevermind that it's not exactly the decision of the VA governor to do so. 

The boomer-esque pride in being so confidently wrong and moving the goalposts to match your agenda is really getting tiring. 

Lulz so you DO want big government telling private businesses what to do? That's quite a pivot from your previous position. 

You’re not going to want to hear this but here it goes anyway- moderate people don’t like condescension and being told how to act and feel. Your tone deaf posts last night and today come off extremely condescending and are a big part of the reason that dems are feeling heat right now. Moderates don’t want Hollywood elites, out of touch billionaires or random nobodies on an internet message board constantly telling us that we’re idiots or racists because we have a different opinion than you do. We don’t speak out and stay silent for fear of being cancelled because we voted differently than you and want the country governed from the center. Dems aren’t the only ones guilty of this. Trump does the same shit.

Dems like you would rather double down on unpopular policies because you’re obviously smarter than everyone else and the average voter is an uneducated rube rather than learn a lesson from these elections.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Seriously, can any of you right leaning folks point to one single REAL concern with CRT? Something that's more than "bigly many people bad CRT big badda boom"?

At the end of the day, what they’re asking the rest of us to do is to coddle degenerate thinking and degenerate behavior. They can deny that all they want to, but that’s what they’re doing. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You’re not going to want to hear this but here it goes anyway- moderate people don’t like condescension and being told how to act and feel. Your tone deaf posts last night and today come off extremely condescending and are a big part of the reason that dems are feeling heat right. Moderates don’t want Hollywood elites, out of touch billionaires or random nobodies on an internet message board constantly telling us that we’re idiots or racists because we have a different opinion than you do. We don’t speak out and stay silent for fear of being cancelled because we voted differently than you and want the country governed from the center. Dems aren’t the only ones guilty of this. Trump does the same shit.

Dems like you would rather double down on unpopular policies because your obviously smarter than everyone else and the average voter is an uneducated rube rather than learn a lesson from these elections.

That’s something that always amazes me; they’re so smart and yet can’t master the basics of human interaction. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Guess I should have used the sarcasm font.

And I'm sure Gov. Youngkin will get right on that supply chain stuff and the price of oil.

I heard him talk about pocketbook issues in his victory speech that he has control over. Lowering state taxes, getting rid of tax at the grocery store etc. 

people can rightly call those economic issues and not be morons. 
I have no idea what his platform is, but if that resonated as economic issues that doesn’t seem stupid to me. 

59 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Lol

Nobody really knows what kind of governor he’s gonna be, tbh.  If he goes sober, fiscally conservative daddy like Charlie Baker or Larry Hogan, he may be able to revive the VA GOP prospects.  If he goes Greg Abbott, he’s likely to get his shit pushed in 2 years.

Unless he’s an idiot he will do the former and not the later I would guess. From listening to him for 10 minutes in election night and knowing he was a former CEO my guess is he’s not an idiot, but time will certainly tell. 
VA probably just elected a country club republican. Maybe not- who knows what the future holds, but that would be my guess. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

7 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You’re not going to want to hear this but here it goes anyway- moderate people don’t like condescension and being told how to act and feel. Your tone deaf posts last night and today come off extremely condescending and are a big part of the reason that dems are feeling heat right. Moderates don’t want Hollywood elites, out of touch billionaires or random nobodies on an internet message board constantly telling us that we’re idiots or racists because we have a different opinion than you do. We don’t speak out and stay silent for fear of being cancelled because we voted differently than you and want the country governed from the center. Dems aren’t the only ones guilty of this. Trump does the same shit.

Dems like you would rather double down on unpopular policies because your obviously smarter than everyone else and the average voter is an uneducated rube rather than learn a lesson from these elections.

Are you reading what I'm writing? I'm not criticizing you and y'all for your ideas, it's that there is no factual basis that supports your position and fears. Or if there is, y'all haven't posted it anywhere that I've read. Last time we got into this with donkey cigars, we learned that didn't even know some of the critical events in American history with respect to racist violence and policy that existed in living memory.

I ask over and over and over for some concrete example of CRT being implemented at all at the primary school level, or being used to censor and destroy stand up comedians, or the ability of the "woke" to actually implement or pass any of their policy that has y'all so dang terrified. 

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

That’s something that always amazes me; they’re so smart and yet can’t master the basics of human interaction. 

Real quick: I'm not a democrat lol. I own guns, believe in (actual) free market economics, want my gay uncle's to be able to get married, and my in laws to be able to grow weed for an ag exemption on their land. I voted Romney in 12, Johnson in '16 (lol we were all pretty dumb, eh?), and Biden in '20. I honestly really hate the Democratic party and their politics and how they operate. But they at least have the decency to use facts over alternative facts.

You'd find much less vinegar from me if you'd stop speaking in vague rhetoric and actually used some real examples.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Bravo said:

explain NJ an even more blue state?

The Republicans are very motivated right now, which isn’t all that surprising. Both Murphy and McAuliffe spent an inordinate amount of time talking about Trump, and that’s a losing strategy it appears. 

40 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

the average American household’s balance sheet has never been stronger. 

This is true for home owners with massive appreciation helping everyone’s net worth, but that doesn’t help the day to day cash flow. It actually hurts. 
my net worth is higher than its ever been (it’s not impressive and I’m not bragging) because my house went up in value 25% over the last 23 months. This doesn’t help me at all, though, as I will likely never sell this house. From a practical standpoint it added $2500 to my tax bill so I’m now poorer by $200 a month in cash flow. I’m paying $75 a tank to fill up my wife’s truck when it used to be $40, it costs an extra $10 seemingly to go out to eat with my family of 5, and our grocery bill seems to run $325 a trip instead of $250-260. That’s my sense. We aren’t living paycheck to paycheck and never have,  but every time I see the credit card run at the gas station or see the number at the grocery store I’m a little surprised, and I wonder what the average American feels. I have to think it’s probably a little scary. 
then, you see polls that show a majority of people wouldn’t pay and extra $10 on their heating bill yo “combat climate change” and it looks like there is a lot of economic angst out there. 
That angst isn’t being felt by the asset class as their balance sheets are up,  but the people concerned aren’t the asset class 

TLDR- being poor sucks and is scary- the same as it’s ever been. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Why don't they feel that way? Why the disconnect then? Rhetorical question. Maybe it's because inflation has more than wiped out wage increases and people can't get things they used to be able to get fast or at all. BTW most of what you're citing is a temporary side effect of trillions of dollars in checks going out over a 1.5 yr period. Also, hence inflation.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/10/business/raises-inflation-wages/index.html

15 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

yeah but the median's is weak and getting weaker

• During the pandemic, US household wealth increased by the largest amount since records began in the 1950s—taking household net worth above six times GDP for the first time;

• While the increase in wealth in money form has been exceptional, this is dwarfed by the increase in the value of non-financial assets (e.g., housing stock) and non-monetary financial assets (such as equities);

• The post-pandemic situation contrasts starkly with the destruction of household wealth that accompanied the GFC—setting up a very different economic cycle ahead;

• A caveat: There are clearly distributional concerns about these gains. We discuss only aggregate household wealth here—postponing to later consideration of who benefitted the most and how to make sure this wealth effect will trickle down to lower income households.

The exceptional policy response during the pandemic has facilitated the largest ever peacetime expansion in household wealth in the United States (US). 

It is well documented that monetary saving accumulated during the lockdown, the counterpart to fiscal deficits and Fed money printing, is now contributing to household spending on durable goods and inflation. But surprisingly, these savings represent only a small fraction of the increase in household wealth since the pandemic, as documented in the Flow of Funds Accounts of the United States. 

Over the 18 months through June 2021, household net worth in the US increased USD24.8 trillion (114.5% of GDP). And since June, of course, equities, house prices, and money creation have increased net worth further still.

Household assets increased USD26 trillion over the period through June, offset by only a mild increase in liabilities during the pandemic. 

Amongst the hierarchy of household assets, currency and deposits—the counterpart to fiscal deficits and money printing—increased USD3.3 trillion since end-2019, whereas non-monetary assets (such as housing) increased in value by USD6.2 trillion and equity and investment fund shares increased USD14.1 trillion.

The increase in money assets over the period contrasts with a USD5.1 trillion increase in M2 which includes deposits by non-financial corporates and other sectors.

Within the Flow of Funds reporting, money saving represents only a small part of the surge in household wealth since the pandemic.

Chart  Description automatically generated

This time is different

The household wealth effect of the pandemic is remarkable indeed.

Whereas the Great Financial Crisis (GFC) saw the destruction of household net worth (the bursting of a housing bubble) of about 70% of GDP in the 3 years through mid-2009, laying the ground for liquidity trap-like conditions, the Great Pandemic has seen household net worth increase about 120% of GDP in about half the time.

Consider this: Over the five quarters since 2020Q1, net worth of US households has increased on average by 29% of 2019 GDP each quarter. 

This has driven household net worth in the US to above 6 times GDP for the first time since records began while the ratio of assets to liabilities has reached 9 for the first time since the early-1970s.

Chart, line chart  Description automatically generated

Money is special

Still, while relatively small, the monetary part of this improved net wealth—and a truer expression of new saving as opposed to valuation gains—is special. Why? It is not price sensitive. That is, if all households try to simultaneously spend their monetary saving they don’t lose their nominal value. The hot potato is simply passed on to someone else within the community. But if all households tried to cash in on their equity holdings or their housing wealth at the same time, the price of these assets would adjust down until the transaction was no longer worthwhile.

So money is special amongst the asset gains during the pandemic. 

However, although the money passed within the community does not change in nominal value in the act of spending, the real value of money does adjust down through upward price level adjustment. Any attempt by households to spend increases the price of goods and services—or inflation—owing to their scarcity until the real value money balances is restored to some level consistent with portfolio preferences of households once more.

Hence macroeconomists have historically assigned a special role to money balances amongst the assets of households—which ought to draw special scrutiny right now owing to the enormous increase in saving in money form during the pandemic.

And this money is extra special

But there is more. 

Typical increases in broad money aggregates, such as in the early 2000s, are associated with the expansion of household and corporate debt—as money creation is the counterpart to bank lending to private entities. It represents spending on real goods and services or non-financial assets at the time the loan was taken out; but the loan itself still has to be serviced, weighing on future spending in the process. 

The nature of money creation during this cycle as the counterpart to fiscal deficits during the pandemic makes it an asset but not a direct liability of the private sector—it is indirectly a liability through government taxation, of course. 

And because it is an outside asset for the private sector, the money created during the pandemic, together with the valuation gains on other assets, has the potential to drive an exceptionally strong recovery—as we are witnessing.

Notice above how M2 in the US typically lagsinflation. The monetary surge this time has preceded the cyclical bounce and inflation. Quite how this plays out from here is not clear. But it’s difficult not to conclude that, compared to 2008/09, this time is different.

https://moneyinsideout.exantedata.com/p/the-greatest-peacetime-surge-in-household

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Also, this artful substitution of "CRT" in your rhetoric as "EvRyONe CaLLs mE RaCiSt??" is a salient real example of your fundamentally incorrect and propogandized understanding of CRT. Too on the nose to not point out lol

Again- you’re doubling down on the condescension. Most people on here have a pretty good idea of what CRT is but obviously you’re the expert on everything politics and we’re the uneducated philistines.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Again- you’re doubling down on the condescension. Most people on here have a pretty good idea of what CRT is but obviously you’re the expert on everything politics and we’re the uneducated philistines.

CRT is teaching children about the Tulsa massacre. We know you hate it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

Ohhh c'mon now! I thought y'all were all big brain boys! Y'all all have such coordinated talking points.

Its too bad you're choosing to be emotional rather than building a cogent position that's supported by facts. 

7 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

If it's so easy and obvious and most people have a good idea of what it is, then it should be very easy for you to concisely define it for everyone in your own words.

No condescension, but I have yet to hear anyone that I've heard talk about this IRL be able to actually explain to me what they are so worked up about.  What is it and where in the USA is it being shoved down our children's throats at school?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Ohhh c'mon now! I thought y'all were all big brain boys! Y'all all have such coordinated talking points.

Its too bad you're choosing to be emotional rather than building a cogent position that's supported by facts. 

If you are doing voter analysis (which is what I’m doing) it makes sense to talk about and think about emotions. Peoples votes are visceral and based upon feelings- not some logic tree. 
it’s why Dems win bigly when they win the “cares about people like me” question running away like Clinton and Obama did. That’s not some logic ordered thing- it’s a gut reaction driving that vote.  GOP messaging (especially when they are out of power) taps into more of a “the other guy doesn’t like people like me” or, my favorite, “he’s just one of the guys billionaire. A working class billionaire. Look- he’s eating a Wendy’s taco salad just like me- he uses his golden fork to eat KFC!”  

17 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

• During the pandemic, US household wealth increased by the largest amount since records began in the 1950s—taking household net worth above six times GDP for the first time;

• While the increase in wealth in money form has been exceptional, this is dwarfed by the increase in the value of non-financial assets (e.g., housing stock) and non-monetary financial assets (such as equities);

• The post-pandemic situation contrasts starkly with the destruction of household wealth that accompanied the GFC—setting up a very different economic cycle ahead;

• A caveat: There are clearly distributional concerns about these gains. We discuss only aggregate household wealth here—postponing to later consideration of who benefitted the most and how to make sure this wealth effect will trickle down to lower income households.

The exceptional policy response during the pandemic has facilitated the largest ever peacetime expansion in household wealth in the United States (US). 

It is well documented that monetary saving accumulated during the lockdown, the counterpart to fiscal deficits and Fed money printing, is now contributing to household spending on durable goods and inflation. But surprisingly, these savings represent only a small fraction of the increase in household wealth since the pandemic, as documented in the Flow of Funds Accounts of the United States. 

Over the 18 months through June 2021, household net worth in the US increased USD24.8 trillion (114.5% of GDP). And since June, of course, equities, house prices, and money creation have increased net worth further still.

Household assets increased USD26 trillion over the period through June, offset by only a mild increase in liabilities during the pandemic. 

Amongst the hierarchy of household assets, currency and deposits—the counterpart to fiscal deficits and money printing—increased USD3.3 trillion since end-2019, whereas non-monetary assets (such as housing) increased in value by USD6.2 trillion and equity and investment fund shares increased USD14.1 trillion.

The increase in money assets over the period contrasts with a USD5.1 trillion increase in M2 which includes deposits by non-financial corporates and other sectors.

Within the Flow of Funds reporting, money saving represents only a small part of the surge in household wealth since the pandemic.

Chart  Description automatically generated

This time is different

The household wealth effect of the pandemic is remarkable indeed.

Whereas the Great Financial Crisis (GFC) saw the destruction of household net worth (the bursting of a housing bubble) of about 70% of GDP in the 3 years through mid-2009, laying the ground for liquidity trap-like conditions, the Great Pandemic has seen household net worth increase about 120% of GDP in about half the time.

Consider this: Over the five quarters since 2020Q1, net worth of US households has increased on average by 29% of 2019 GDP each quarter. 

This has driven household net worth in the US to above 6 times GDP for the first time since records began while the ratio of assets to liabilities has reached 9 for the first time since the early-1970s.

Chart, line chart  Description automatically generated

Money is special

Still, while relatively small, the monetary part of this improved net wealth—and a truer expression of new saving as opposed to valuation gains—is special. Why? It is not price sensitive. That is, if all households try to simultaneously spend their monetary saving they don’t lose their nominal value. The hot potato is simply passed on to someone else within the community. But if all households tried to cash in on their equity holdings or their housing wealth at the same time, the price of these assets would adjust down until the transaction was no longer worthwhile.

So money is special amongst the asset gains during the pandemic. 

However, although the money passed within the community does not change in nominal value in the act of spending, the real value of money does adjust down through upward price level adjustment. Any attempt by households to spend increases the price of goods and services—or inflation—owing to their scarcity until the real value money balances is restored to some level consistent with portfolio preferences of households once more.

Hence macroeconomists have historically assigned a special role to money balances amongst the assets of households—which ought to draw special scrutiny right now owing to the enormous increase in saving in money form during the pandemic.

And this money is extra special

But there is more. 

Typical increases in broad money aggregates, such as in the early 2000s, are associated with the expansion of household and corporate debt—as money creation is the counterpart to bank lending to private entities. It represents spending on real goods and services or non-financial assets at the time the loan was taken out; but the loan itself still has to be serviced, weighing on future spending in the process. 

The nature of money creation during this cycle as the counterpart to fiscal deficits during the pandemic makes it an asset but not a direct liability of the private sector—it is indirectly a liability through government taxation, of course. 

And because it is an outside asset for the private sector, the money created during the pandemic, together with the valuation gains on other assets, has the potential to drive an exceptionally strong recovery—as we are witnessing.

Notice above how M2 in the US typically lagsinflation. The monetary surge this time has preceded the cyclical bounce and inflation. Quite how this plays out from here is not clear. But it’s difficult not to conclude that, compared to 2008/09, this time is different.

https://moneyinsideout.exantedata.com/p/the-greatest-peacetime-surge-in-household

Good charts showing the rich getting richer... how about the median households?

7 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Mostly this right here. The Democratic Party was handed a golden opportunity to position themselves as the party of good governance and competence both in messaging and policy and for the most part have completely failed to do that. And the Republicans will gleefully help them along, make no mistake.

And all politics is national right now. Case in point: News headlines are overwhelmed with stories abut port backups, you can’t buy a new car or get an Amazon package by Christmas, and the price of gas is spiraling while POTUS’ approval craters. And the Progressive block refuses to give the Dems an easy layup on a popular issue (infrastructure) at a key time. 

What part of recovery from a worldwide pandemic are people really missing here?  What part of people do not want to work for pittances anymore are people missing here?  What part of global supply and demand are people not understanding?  The main problem is that the media is complicit in touting headlines that are inflammatory, especially when the average American isn't intellectually curious enough to go beyond the headline, as evidenced by this post right here. 

The problem the democrats have is that (1) they tried to reach across the aisle and (2) they have so far refused to get their own fucking party in line.  It is time to stop being nice.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

While I usually agree, nobody practices critical race theory at the level parents are debating.  That's not a real issue unless American History is a problem. And again, minority parents should go to the meetings and ask for input into their children's education and see what happens.  

Wokeness isn't crushing anything--it can't even establish fair voting rights for everybody.  And cancel culture isn't nearly canceling as the Right, which controls states with a 40% vote.  Women can't even get freedom of choice, which seems like a right they should have, or involve outing the male and making him compensate for his dick half.  

Wokeness, Cancel Culture, Critical Race Theory, Planned Parenthood, etc, can all be bottled and floated down it doesn't make a shit river because most of is created distortion.  Black Lives Matter is a real concern that got diluted by All Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, Wokeness, and other names.  Meanwhile Kyle Rittenhouse is standing trial in front of a jackass judge that insists on making a show of it while we debate Cancel Culture and Critical Race Theory.  It's not even close to being both sides.  

What this tells you is that 35-40% of this country, the hard core GQP/Trumpies are shitbags.  HRC was right.  They are fucking deplorable.

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

If it's so easy and obvious and most people have a good idea of what it is, then it should be very easy for you to concisely define it for everyone in your own words.

No condescension, but I have yet to hear anyone that I've heard talk about this IRL be able to actually explain to me what they are so worked up about.  What is it and where in the USA is it being shoved down our children's throats at school?

There's no point in trying to have a debate over CRT with Republicans. You're not convincing anyone and by pretending that it is worth debating you're giving their argument an appearance of legitimacy.

They don't care what CRT is. They care about using it to gin up white racial anxieties without having to use the n-word, so that they can attack public schools and scare them into not teaching students about the history of white supremacist violence in America.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

What part of recovery from a worldwide pandemic are people really missing here?  What part of people do not want to work for pittances anymore are people missing here?  What part of global supply and demand are people not understanding?  The main problem is that the media is complicit in touting headlines that are inflammatory, especially when the average American isn't intellectually curious enough to go beyond the headline, as evidenced by this post right here. 

The problem the democrats have is that (1) they tried to reach across the aisle and (2) they have so far refused to get their own fucking party in line.  It is time to stop being nice.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democrats-are-the-party-of-the-wealthy-irs-data-show/ar-BB1g4rb8

Democrats are the party of the wealthy, IRS data show

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Are you really stupid enough to fall for a Politician doing blatantly PR thing for attention that has no practical effect?

Why would a I take the time to traverse a pacific container ship through the Panama Canal, then send it to Florida instead of Houston?

Um, maybe those ships want to stop in the Keys on the way to the FL ports and do some fishing.  So now Democrats are against fishing?  “Give me fishing or give me death” will be the new slogan on tshirts across rural America if Fox News had its way.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The problem with Democrats is that they're fucking stupid and bad at politics. They don't know how to respond to GOP attacks and they almost never launch any attacks of their own against the GOP.

The GOP tried to stage a coup ten fucking months ago and the Democrats have already squandered all of the public anger at them over it. This party is beyond fucking worthless.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you are doing voter analysis (which is what I’m doing) it makes sense to talk about and think about emotions. Peoples votes are visceral and based upon feelings- not some logic tree. 
it’s why Dems win bigly when they win the “cares about people like me” question running away like Clinton and Obama did. That’s not some logic ordered thing- it’s a gut reaction driving that vote.  GOP messaging (especially when they are out of power) taps into more of a “the other guy doesn’t like people like me” or, my favorite, “he’s just one of the guys billionaire. A working class billionaire. Look- he’s eating a Wendy’s taco salad just like me- he uses his golden fork to eat KFC!”  

I agree with pretty much everything here.

I am hung up on people who don't care to actually think through the policies being advocated and vote purely out of emotion. That's incredibly dangerous for a democracy, because that means we are extremely susceptible to raw propaganda. If someone can gin up enough fear and concern over something that isn't even happening, and then turn that into electoral victories.... We're not going to have a democracy for much longer.

Shit, people stormed the Capitol on January 6th based purely on emotions and not based on anything resembling reality. The gqp's continued attack on the 2020 election through continuing sham investigations and "dems are stealing elections!" rhetoric is doing nothing but laying down the groundwork for future emotional appeals - that are again completely disconnected from reality.

I don't discount anything you're saying about cleetus going to the ballot box and just voting however qanon told him to feel, but we are going to have a real rough go of things if we remain on that course. Especially when the democrats are so absolutely dogshit at getting anything done whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You’re not going to want to hear this but here it goes anyway- moderate people don’t like condescension and being told how to act and feel. Your tone deaf posts last night and today come off extremely condescending and are a big part of the reason that dems are feeling heat right now. Moderates don’t want Hollywood elites, out of touch billionaires or random nobodies on an internet message board constantly telling us that we’re idiots or racists because we have a different opinion than you do. We don’t speak out and stay silent for fear of being cancelled because we voted differently than you and want the country governed from the center. Dems aren’t the only ones guilty of this. Trump does the same shit.

Dems like you would rather double down on unpopular policies because you’re obviously smarter than everyone else and the average voter is an uneducated rube rather than learn a lesson from these elections.

Were these not the same talking points in 2016 for people voting for Trump? So sick of elitists that they voted for Donald Fucking Trump. This is 2021 bro. The average voter IS an uneducated rube and they should be damn proud of it!

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I heard him talk about pocketbook issues in his victory speech that he has control over. Lowering state taxes, getting rid of tax at the grocery store etc. 

When Dems do that kind of stuff it is called pandering.

50 minutes ago, Bravo said:

explain NJ an even more blue state?

A lot of angry people, including business owners and those who were out of work during Covid or parents who were home schooling their kids for over a year, voting against an incumbent.  Combined with a change in how to vote--after 2 election cycles of mail in voting going back to in person voting, which wasn't communicated well, meaning that the less engaged people weren't turning out.  Combined with the national Republican nonsense on CRT causing working up their cult members.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Of the more long term kind....

We have an office in London and in Geneva.  I would not be opposed to either of those.

Geneva is blah. I'd go with London. 

edit: although you can take the trains anywhere in Switzerland so it could be a good hub.  

Edited by Telegraph_it
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Lay back and enjoy not telling schools what they should teach? 

inb4 creationism is taught alongside the evolution as equally scientifically valid theories. Can't wait for kids to learn about the war of northern aggression against southern heritage either

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

No no, I'm very aware that how you feel overrides what your lying eyes tell you if you've been inundated with enough propoganda.

You're doing an excellent job of demonstrating my point that gop voters are jumping at ghosts and being useful idiots for the Republicans. The fact that the republicans are winning races on boogeymen non-issues is a harbinger for further regression and damage to our democracy. 

Seriously, can any of you right leaning folks point to one single REAL concern with CRT? Something that's more than "bigly many people bad CRT big badda boom"?

You sound like a whiny little bitch…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Please give examples of this?  I am a moderate maybe slightly left especially on social issues but I can’t remember the last time Spielberg, Oprah and Brad Pitt yelled at me and made fun of my beliefs.  You know who they and many of us call idiots and racists?  People that are actually idiots and racists.  You want to believe in conspiracy theories, the earth is flat, Trump is smart?  Then I and everyone else should call that person an idiot.  You want to promote policies that hurt black and brown people because you don’t want to lose your status as a white American then, yeah maybe that person is a racist and should be called out as one.  Many people are idiots or racist or both so calling them out on it isn’t an issue to me.  Is that an issue to you?  

Also, your comment about moderates not wanting to be to told how to act and feel is a lie.  I guarantee their are millions and millions of moderates on the Right that watch Fox News every night and get told how to act and feel and don’t seem to have a issue with that now do they.

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

“It’s the economy, stupid”. - James Carville

That's reasonable when the republic itself is not at stake in a year when there was an insurrection. 

"I don't like Trump, but I'm a fiscal conservative concerned about the economy so I voted Republican. Just like the old days. Where do I go to spike the ball?"

It's generally just a lie for Republicans, 78% of whom don't believe Biden was actually elected. The other 22% live in some fantasy world where all they basically care about is the jersey their team wears. These guys are like Aggies believing their way is the only true way to save the country from illusory USA-hatin' libs.

Fiscal conservatives have no party available. They haven't for decades. Hanging on to some delusion about what the GOP is accelerates the decline of the USA.

It's stupid to cover this like politics as usual. The GOP is the self-fulfilling prophecy that the country is in grave danger from one of the political parties.

Idiot World yawns. Honey, I think I want to buy a new pickup to drive to the office in. 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I agree with pretty much everything here.

I am hung up on people who don't care to actually think through the policies being advocated and vote purely out of emotion. That's incredibly dangerous for a democracy, because that means we are extremely susceptible to raw propaganda. If someone can gin up enough fear and concern over something that isn't even happening, and then turn that into electoral victories.... We're not going to have a democracy for much longer.

Shit, people stormed the Capitol on January 6th based purely on emotions and not based on anything resembling reality. The gqp's continued attack on the 2020 election through continuing sham investigations and "dems are stealing elections!" rhetoric is doing nothing but laying down the groundwork for future emotional appeals - that are again completely disconnected from reality.

I don't discount anything you're saying about cleetus going to the ballot box and just voting however qanon told him to feel, but we are going to have a real rough go of things if we remain on that course. Especially when the democrats are so absolutely dogshit at getting anything done whatsoever.

Here’s the part you aren’t getting- it’s not Cletus in the sticks that’s losing you this election (he’s voting GOP and always will unless he doesn’t vote) it’s my friend from law school that lives in NOVA that worries about her daughters at school and doesn’t like TMac telling her she should butt out of their education and doesn’t like the insinuation that she might be racist. We had this actual conversation yesterday morning (via text). She said she doesn’t like any of the politicians but she really doesn’t like TMac and she’s not voting for him to “keep the state blue” she’s voting against him bc he’s a tone deaf jerk and she can hardly wait for the election to be over so she doesn’t have to hear about it anymore. . 
that’s the votes that swung this election.  It’s not major. It’s not a sea change. It’s 5% here and 7% there and less of your base showing up and more of their base showing up and all of a sudden a 20 point win is a 2 point loss.
it doesn’t say anything about governance or policy or where America is- it says don’t be going with the narrative that people who want to be present for their childrens education are racist, don’t use terms like latinx or birthing person. It’s all the shit Carville rants about. And cabriole is smart he’s not talking about Cletus and QAnon being lost he’s talking about suburbanites feeling condescended to.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Please give examples of this?  I am a moderate maybe slightly left especially on social issues but I can’t remember the last time Spielberg, Oprah and Brad Pitt yelled at me and made fun of my beliefs.  You know who they and many of us call idiots and racists?  People that are actually idiots and racists.  You want to believe in conspiracy theories, the earth is flat, Trump is smart?  Then I and everyone else should call that person an idiot.  You want promote policies that hurt black and brown people because you don’t want to lose your status as a white American then, yeah maybe that person is a racist and should be called out as one.  Many people are idiots or racist or both so calling them out on it isn’t an issue to me.  Is that an issue to you?  

Also, your comment about moderates not wanting to be to told how to act and feel is a lie.  I guarantee their are millions and millions of moderates on the Right that watch Fox News every night and get told how to act and feel and don’t seem to have a issue with that now do they.

You're responding to a guy whose only political posts ever were to complain about BLM.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Here’s the part you aren’t getting- it’s not Cletus in the sticks that’s losing you this election (he’s voting GOP and always will unless he doesn’t vote) it’s my friend from law school that lives in NOVA that worries about her daughters at school and doesn’t like TMac telling her she should butt out of their education and doesn’t like the insinuation that she might be racist. We had this actual conversation yesterday morning (via text). She said she doesn’t like any of the politicians but she really doesn’t like TMac and she’s not voting for him to “keep the state blue” she’s voting against him bc he’s a tone deaf jerk and she can hardly wait for the election to be over so she doesn’t have to hear about it anymore. . 
that’s the votes that swung this election.  It’s not major. It’s not a sea change. It’s 5% here and 7% there and less of your base showing up and more of their base showing up and all of a sudden a 20 point win is a 2 point loss.
it doesn’t say anything about governance or policy or where America is- it says don’t be going with the narrative that people who want to be present for their childrens education are racist, don’t use terms like latinx or birthing person. It’s all the shit Carville rants about. And cabriole is smart he’s not talking about Cletus and QAnon being lost he’s talking about suburbanites feeling condescended to.  

Your friend is as much a victim of propaganda as this veteran is. When asked for a specific stance, it's nothing but emotional rhetoric with no basis in reality.

Weaponized victimhood has been coopted by the right from their evangelical base .

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1