Fat Gary? He gone.

Pancho

The other thing about Briles is he would no longer have the benefit of the shadows to do what he does.  Nobody of real import was paying attention to him at Stephenville and then after the stint at Tech he went to Houston where long gone were the halcyon days of the Run and Shoot and Andre Ware and again nobody was really watching.  Next was Baylor, Big 12 doormat in a backwater town.  Crickets softly chirping in the shadwos.  Shady recruiting, grade fixing, steroids, and oh of course rape were easily concealed because nobody gave a fuck enough to really pay attention. 

He built on it and finally when Baylor got big enough that people were noticing it all quickly came crashing down.  Now by virtue of being Briles he will be watched like a hawk from the jump (especially in a metro area like DFW).  He will fail miserably without the tools he uses to ply his craft, so of course I hope TCU or Tech do this for the lulz.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blotto said:

If Briles were younger, I think the odds that he would get hired might be higher, but he is turning 66 in December. I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. You'll take a metric fuckton of shit for the hire, and get how many years out of him? Maybe if it was a package deal with Kendall to acheive some sort of continuity, but i don't see it happening. In summary, fuck Art Briles. 

Briles and his former players are very familiar with the "juice". Even as a high school coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

STATEMENT FROM ATHLETICS DIRECTOR JEREMIAH DONATI:

“The story of Gary Patterson and the rise in the fortunes of the TCU football program over the last 20 years is clearly one of the most remarkable in the history of college football. We are grateful to Gary and Kelsey Patterson and appreciate everything they have meant to TCU and the Fort Worth community. Under his leadership, TCU has become a nationally recognized brand name in football and in collegiate athletics. Chancellor (Victor) Boschini and I met with Coach Patterson today and mutually agreed that the time has come for a new voice and leadership in our football program. We asked him to continue on as our head coach for the remainder of the season, and take on a different role in 2022, but he believed it was in the team’s and TCU’s best interests to begin the transition immediately. We respect Coach Patterson’s perspective and will move forward in that direction. I’ve asked Jerry Kill to serve as interim head coach, and he has accepted the role for the remainder of the season. Coach Patterson will assist TCU in the transition to take place.”

Take A Step Back - Gary Patterson

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

We asked him to continue on as our head coach for the remainder of the season, and take on a different role in 2022, but he believed it was in the team’s and TCU’s best interests to begin the transition immediately.

episode 8 bullshit GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

49 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Negligible for anybody who is serious.  7.5M in year one and declines from there.  

47 minutes ago, Blotto said:

How so. He did right by UTSA increasing his buyout from $2M to $7.5M, but that doesnt mean somebody wont pay it. 

Yall think Traylor is the typical mercenary coach trying to get every last nickel and I honestly don't think he is like that. He was a high school coach that probably didn't crack 6 figures until 2010 or so. He was making more than he ever dreamed he would 2 weeks ago. He's honestly a different cat

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Yall think Traylor is the typical mercenary coach trying to get every last nickel and I honestly don't think he is like that. He was a high school coach that probably didn't crack 6 figures until 2010 or so. He was making more than he ever dreamed he would 2 weeks ago. He's honestly a different cat

Buyouts don't go to the coach....so to your point he could be the kind of guy who will get the school who gave him his first shot a bit more money if he does leave.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Buyouts don't go to the coach....so to your point he could be the kind of guy who will get the school who gave him his first shot a bit more money if he does leave.

My point is if he likes where he is he would stay. How many bigger high school jobs do you think he turned down as he turned Gilmer into what he did? Buyout =irrelevant 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

THAT STRIPPER REALLY LIKED ME!

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

My point is if he likes where he is he would stay. How many bigger high school jobs do you think he turned down as he turned Gilmer into what he did? Buyout =irrelevant 

The difference between the salary of Gilmer High School and a 6A school is in the tens of thousands at most, not millions per year, like he's staring at now.

5 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

So 24 hours ago would you have bet this extension happens?

Traylor may be a great guy and you may well be right about him but you are ascribing an awful lot to an extension that gives him 10 years of job security, makes him one of the highest paid fish in the pond he swims in and yet at the same time doesn't come with any financial implications that would remotely deter a big dog that was interested in him.  Seems like nothing more than a shrewd financial deal to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juke_Em said:

Good decision by both sides. That program was headed down the drain and Patterson was getting stale like Mack Brown's final years here. TCU knew they couldn't afford to wait it out and risk missing out on Traylor.

Patterson can focus full-time on his music career

Fuck that.  He can come coach our defense.