Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I don't like playing good teams with no name recognition. Beating Notre Dame or USC or Michigan is always better for your ranking than beating Washington or Boise State or Wisconsin. I would rather play the former.

But what is the downside?  Maryland didn’t have much name recognition. 

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Bama also scheduled UW a few seasons back and it ended up being #2 vs #4.

Damn -- maybe get your facts right...

Not scheduled, not in the State of Washington....

It was CFP...  #1 v #4.   December 31st, 2016.  Atlanta, Ga.

Alabama has played Huskies 5 times (Bama has won all 5 games) and only once in the state of Washington... Oct 7th, 1978.

Three of the games were post season bowl/CFP games... the other game in Tuscaloosa was October 11th, 1975.  Not even Bama has seen any reason to schedule UW since the 1970's... So many other places Texas should play OOC  games before ever traveling to UW to play the Huskies.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

... So many other places Texas should play OOC  games before ever traveling to UW to play the Huskies.

Have you ever been to Seattle? Outside of just being a phenomenal city, the UW campus and stadium are absolutely stunning. As a fan, it's a must-do cfb experience.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Alabama has played Huskies 5 times (Bama has won all 5 games) and only once in the state of Washington... Oct 7th, 1978.

Three of the games were post season bowl/CFP games... the other game in Tuscaloosa was October 11th, 1975.  Not even Bama has seen any reason to schedule UW since the 1970's... So many other places Texas should play OOC  games before ever traveling to UW to play the Huskies.

Who gives a shit about Bama? Their OOC scheduling philosophy has been deplorable until recently.

What is wrong with a home-and-home with UW?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Seattle is going to be easier to get to and more entertaining than:

Tuscaloosa

Baton Rouge

Ann Arbor

Gainesville

Athens

Etc.

The weather is also better in Seattle in September than any of those places.

UW has more traditional success than Oregon or Wisconsin, and a deeper history than most SEC schools. They have more than enough going for them to warrant a home and home. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, VaHorn said:

But what is the downside?  Maryland didn’t have much name recognition. 

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that series. Losing to Maryland sucked balls. I love the scheduling of Florida, LSU, tOSU, and Alabama.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Shouldn't happen. I'll also argue that they fit well in the level below blue blood. They've won a title more recently than Georgia (by a decade+), Notre Dame, or Penn State. They've obviously done more than ATM, Arkansas, or Oregon over the last 50 years. 

This reflects the fact that either you're very young or you lack perspective, and probably both. Washington is a historically esteemed program. Tyrone Willingham and Rick Neuheisel tumbled them down into the toilet starting about 15 years ago, but they've been a respected program for 100 years. DKR was poached from there. They won/split a MNC in 1991 with ... Miami? I don't remember. Miami/Ga Tech/Colorado (5th fucking down ripoff game be damned)/UW split titles in 1990 and 1991. Don James was a CFB icon before being run off for rampant cheating. 

Meanwhile, BSU was a fucking FCS school until like 20/25 years ago and has no legitimate history of anything other than being a flash in the pan. 

I'd fucking love to do a home and home with UW and anyone who's spent time in Seattle would agree. On top of it all, they're not cheating under Petersen. They're well-coached and they do it right. Academically, the two schools are also aligned. I think it would be fucking awesome to play them early in November in Austin some year and play them in Seattle in September the year before or after that.

I have nothing against Washington. I loved Steve Emtman as a player, although as a whole Washington kids did a lot of roids. My cousin was head of infectious disease at UW and the Hutch. I like Seattle okay and would definitely consider a vacation home in the San Juan islands or Whistler.  Currently, Washington is a tough team without the blue blood reputation. And in 10 years I might change my tune regarding their prestige. However, right now I view them like I view Wisconsin. Damn good team but without the blue blood current history. USC is an easier win and beating them gives Texas more of a boost in the polls.  From a logic perspective, we are much better scheduling USC.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Agree that Seattle is great!

Right now, imo Texas should focus on playing teams that will help in recruiting.  Winning against UW won't impress a lot of recruits.  Also not many recruits in the northwest are willing to play in Texas.

Louisiana Tech and Rice will though...

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You people are fucking idiots that will argue about anything. 

The obvious answer is to play UW every year on a neutral field in Boise. 

There is nothing neutral about Boise's field.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You people are fucking idiots that will argue about anything. 

The obvious answer is to play UW every year on a neutral field in Boise. 

Close. Play any random team every year on a neutral field in Seattle.  

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Agree that Seattle is great!

Right now, imo Texas should focus on playing teams that will help in recruiting.  Winning against UW won't impress a lot of recruits.  Also not many recruits in the northwest are willing to play in Texas.

Give me a fucking break.  Texas doesn’t schedule teams and venues for recruiting purposes.  They schedule us.  

First edition of the ESPN300 for 2021: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2021/order/true

1. Tommy Brockermeyer

6. Tony Grimes

8. Camar Wheaton

9. Tunmise Adeleye

11. Shadrach Banks

16. Brock Vandagriff (OU commit)

17. Landon Jackson

20. Jaeden Roberts

28. Savion Byrd

45. JoJo Earle

49. Shedeur Sanders

59. Jerand Bradley

65. Reuben Fatheree

76. Clayton Smith

78. Bryson Green

79. Latrell McCutchin (Alabama commit)

89. Marcus Burris

95. Jalen Milroe (Texas commit)

97. Ishmael Ibraheem

101. Kendrick Blackshire

102. Cody Jackson (OU commit)

115. Ja'Tavion Sanders

117. Billy Bowman Jr. (should be a Texas commit very soon)

122. Donovan Jackson

127. Preston Stone

129. Bryce Foster

138. Dametrious Crownover

140. Dematrius Davis

152. KJ Liggins

162. Quay Davis (Texas commit)

168. Theodore Knox

171. Ketron Jackson

172. Jalen Kitna (Boston College commit)

175. LJ Johnson

176. Latrell Neville

177. JD Coffey

182. Jacob Rodriguez

187. Jordon Thomas

193. Garrett Nussmeier

195. Eli Stowers (A&M commit)

197. Behren Morton

208. Hayden Conner (Texas commit)

211. Hunter Washington

221. Derrick Harris Jr.

229. James Brockermeyer

243. Blaine Green

266. Landyn Watson (LSU commit)

271. Lake McRee

283. Brandon Campbell

288. Erick Cade

291. Jonah Miller

293. Trey Zuhn

• Like 1

ESPN on the Brockermeyers

The No. 1 recruit

Since the full ESPN 300 started in 2013, Trey Smith is the only offensive tackle to hold on to the No. 1 overall ranking. A spot largely dominated by defensive lineman, Smith proved to be a special talent -- and now Tommy Brockermeyer has a similar opportunity.

Brockermeyer debuts as the No. 1 prospect in the ESPN Junior 300, and though this is a preliminary list of underclassmen, he has a chance to hang on to that top spot once the full ESPN 300 is released after the class of 2021 finishes its junior season.

The 6-foot-6, 280-pound tackle from All Saints Episcopal School in Fort Worth, Texas, has a strong connection to the Texas Longhorns. His father, Blake, and his grandfather, Kae, both played football at Texas. Blake started in the '90s and was a first-round draft pick by the Carolina Panthers. Kae played in the late '50s and early '60s.

Tommy's older brother Jack was recruited to play in college but decided not to pursue an athletic career and currently holds a 3.92 GPA at Rice, where he is studying economics and managerial studies. Then there's Luke, another older brother who currently plays linebacker at Texas.

On top of that, Tommy has a twin brother, James, who is an ESPN Junior 300 offensive lineman. Ranked No. 229 overall, James is a 6-foot-3, 255-pound center. And if that weren't enough, both their mother and grandmother went to Texas.

"I think they've narrowed it down pretty good to a handful of schools that are in their wheelhouse, and Texas is going to be in the picture," Blake said.

"It's actually hurt [Tommy and James] in recruiting because a lot of schools don't recruit them or won't recruit them because of the Texas ties because they just assume they're going there. It's definitely not a done deal. It's obviously going to be one of the leaders, but there's also Alabama, Clemson, Stanford, Michigan. There are some good schools out there."

Blake is currently a defensive analyst at SMU, where he has been for almost two years. SMU was the first program to offer the twins, and the family has talked about Tommy and James playing for their father, but it isn't something he is pushing. Blake wants to ensure that Tommy and James see the right programs and make the right decisions for them, Texas or not. Having been on both sides, as a player and now as a coach, he understands the pitfalls and potential hazards of making a blind decision.

"I'm showing them pretty much every top program in the country, whether they might think, they're like, 'Why are we going to Iowa, Dad?'" Blake said. "I'm like, 'These guys know what they're doing,' and then after they go and see it, they say, 'Yeah, I get it.' I'm going to give them the best advice I can give them because I know the whole process, and I've seen it all and done it all.

"You can't ever guarantee things are going to happen the way you want and coaches are going to be there, so there's a lot of different aspects you have to look at."

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

First edition of the ESPN300 for 2021: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2021/order/true

Reveal hidden contents

1. Tommy Brockermeyer

6. Tony Grimes

8. Camar Wheaton

9. Tunmise Adeleye

11. Shadrach Banks

16. Brock Vandagriff (OU commit)

17. Landon Jackson

20. Jaeden Roberts

28. Savion Byrd

45. JoJo Earle

49. Shedeur Sanders

59. Jerand Bradley

65. Reuben Fatheree

76. Clayton Smith

78. Bryson Green

79. Latrell McCutchin (Alabama commit)

89. Marcus Burris

95. Jalen Milroe (Texas commit)

97. Ishmael Ibraheem

101. Kendrick Blackshire

102. Cody Jackson (OU commit)

115. Ja'Tavion Sanders

117. Billy Bowman Jr. (should be a Texas commit very soon)

122. Donovan Jackson

127. Preston Stone

129. Bryce Foster

138. Dametrious Crownover

140. Dematrius Davis

152. KJ Liggins

162. Quay Davis (Texas commit)

168. Theodore Knox

171. Ketron Jackson

172. Jalen Kitna (Boston College commit)

175. LJ Johnson

176. Latrell Neville

177. JD Coffey

182. Jacob Rodriguez

187. Jordon Thomas

193. Garrett Nussmeier

195. Eli Stowers (A&M commit)

197. Behren Morton

208. Hayden Conner (Texas commit)

211. Hunter Washington

221. Derrick Harris Jr.

229. James Brockermeyer

243. Blaine Green

266. Landyn Watson (LSU commit)

271. Lake McRee

283. Brandon Campbell

288. Erick Cade

291. Jonah Miller

293. Trey Zuhn

So Tommy is #1 and #4 in ESPN and 247, Sawyer is 3 and 2, and Foreman is 2 and 3, which means all three are tied for #1 in the country right now if they straight up average the two rankings, since Rivals doesn't have one yet 

To channel my inner satya, if Texas ends up not landing the brockermeyers that’s a bad look that other coaches will use against us and that will land with recruits.

Even though I’d personally understand if either or both decided to go elsewhere. 

Hell, coaches might already be asking recruits to think about why those two aren’t already on board and are visiting all these other programs. 

• Fuck You 5