Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Tenn has always thrown money around under Pruitt, but they must really be stepping their game up now, as in outpyaing every other school if they’re landing all these guys. I wonder if they can hold on to this class if they actually have to play in the fall and have more Georgia State kind of losss.

Freeze pulled in that Nkemdiche class in his first full year and had decent success considering the state of the program, IIRC. Definitely a different situation than Tenn seeing this kind of bump in the middle of Pruitt’s tenure without any real on field success to boost it. 

They play aggy at home in 2023 so this bought class will be RS Soph/Jrs at that point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Ketch confirming he doesn't really work very hard. He basically contradicts the analysis from the other services, then links to Thomas' "Junior tape". No mention of the ankle that stopped him from playing his Junior year, save for one game in August. 

Instant Analysis: How about dem apples aggies

Hide contents

Cliff-notes: The Longhorns picked up commitment No.8 for the Class of 2021 on Saturday afternoon when Port Arthur Memorial defensive end Jordan Thomas pulled the string on his verbal pledge, choosing Tom Herman and Co. over in-state rival Texas A&M.

Rankings: Thomas is a 5.7 high-three star prospect in the current Rivals.com rankings and is currently slotted as Rivals' No.51 overall prospect in the state of Texas, while also ranking as the No.21 strong-side defensive end prospect in nation. Other recruiting outlets such as ESPN (No.39 in the state) and 247 (No.25 in the state) currently have Thomas ranked as a four-star prospect.

Key Offers: Texas A&M, Oklahoma, LSU and Baylor

Evaluation: Thomas is an interesting kid because he's an athletic defensive end prospect that has a heigh ceiling, but probably needs a couple of years in a college weight room before he'll be ready to contribute at the high division one level. Listed at 6-4, 235 pounds, the thing that jumps out the most about Thomas is his ability to make athletic plays up and down the line of scrimmage. While I'm not sure he's an elite-level athlete, he's at the very least a plus athlete with some elite-level upside at his position. His technique at the position is going to need some overhaul when he gets to college because he has to learn how to hold his ground at the point of attack, but his level of quickness off the ball and agility on his feet make him a potential pass-rusher. While his play at the point of attack against bigger and better offensive linemen will need some development, Thomas is a physical presence on the field that will likely embrace the rugged battles that loom in front of him. There's a lot to like about Thomas as a prospect, but much of his future will come down to how his body develops at the next level and how long it takes him to adjust to the changes he'll have to make. At best, we're talking about a player that could develop into a multi-year starter and a future NFL player. The downside is that he's a bit of a tweener between being a strong-side player and a weak-side player, which means that at worst he ends up being stuck between the two positions and is never quite able to be elite at either one.

Former Texas recruit he reminds me of: Taquan Graham

Why it matters: The Longhorns already have a commitment from Ja'Tavion Sanders, who projects in my mind as the state's top defensive end prospect, but there's some question about where his ultimate long-term position on the field is going to be, so adding more talent at this position in 2021 is an absolute must, as sit is every year. Personally, I have Sanders by himself at the top of tier one at his position, while guys like Desoto's Shamar Turner (another Texas target) and Texarkana's Landon Jackson (committed to LSU) sit on tier two. I've got Thomas ranked right at the top of the third tier in the state of Texas and before his senior year is over (if there's a senior season), he has a chance to move into the tier two category. He's right on the edge of being a low four-star/Very high three star prospect. Beating Texas A&M in a head to head battle is a cherry on top of the sundae.

Check out his junior highlights on Hudl.

He also made no effort to properly spell Ta'Quon Graham 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Tenn has always thrown money around under Pruitt, but they must really be stepping their game up now, as in outpyaing every other school if they’re landing all these guys. I wonder if they can hold on to this class if they actually have to play in the fall and have more Georgia State kind of losss.

Freeze pulled in that Nkemdiche class in his first full year and had decent success considering the state of the program, IIRC. Definitely a different situation than Tenn seeing this kind of bump in the middle of Pruitt’s tenure without any real on field success to boost it. 

Tennessee actually played decent ball the last half of the season albeit against mostly a garbage schedule. The beginning was no doubt an abject disaster, and that BYU loss was a classic meltdown, but they did win 7 out of their last 8 games. And the only loss, which was to Bama, was more than respectable. They were on the one yard line about to make it a one score game with about 8 minutes left when they fumbled and had it returned 100 yards for a TD. That game was much closer than the score.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are cheating their hillbilly asses off, but that team showed significant progress over the season and they have at least some momentum to sell going forward.

• Like 4

IT’s Inside Scoop

JORDON THOMAS

The Port Arthur Memorial defensive end and newest Texas commit has flown a bit under the radar during his recruitment, but he’s been a priority for Texas for a long-time. UT was very early to offer when most, including yours truly, had never heard of him.

His lighter profile is mostly due to missing his junior year, a year I believe he was going to become a household name.

I base that on three things. First is talks with TexAgs’ Ryan Brauninger who saw Thomas at practice just before his injury. Brauninger was effusive in his praise of Thomas, even using the word “freak.” Brauny made it sound like Thomas was a surefire top-10 player in the state.

Secondly, I’ve heard similar from coaching circles. Here’s an old exchange: “He ran the 100m and 200m as a sophomore. My buddy who’s at Texas Southern was there the same day as Oscar Giles during Thomas’ sophomore year and he called to tell me this dude is going to be the top player in the country.”

Thirdly, here’s a coach at Port Arthur Memorial: “He was 6-3, 245 as a sophomore in high school. He was pushing 255 before COVID and could be 260-plus by the time he gets to UT.”

We don’t know what his senior year will look like, but the similarities to Ta’Quon Graham are pretty noticeable. Graham exited high school at 260 pounds and also was a little under-appreciated, mainly due to an injury that considerably hampered him throughout his senior year. Graham was forced to play 4i early in his career, but would have been a better fit for defensive end initially. As a physically mature senior with plenty of experience Graham can play down to 3-tech with ease. I expect a similar developmental curve to Thomas, though he’s more athletic and will have the benefit of playing a true defensive end early in his career.

MICHAEL JACKSON

“The H receiver position is really the one that if you built it in a lab, the two that we have right now in Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington would be that. Guys that have played tailback in high school and guys that can get open in space and are durable enough to take the hits that slot receivers take quite frequently.”

That quote is from Tom Herman’s chat with PJC and Inside Texas.

I’m coining the position ‘slot machine’ because I like the fitting double entendre. We’ll see if fetch is going to happen.

An aside: Herman excluded Lil’Jordan Humphrey, but he played running back at a high level in high school despite being 6-foot-4. Remember how I said there’s no real point in evaluating for the express purpose of finding a LJH clone? That’s because it’s a mostly futile task. It’s easier to find the Duvernays, Whittingtons, and Smiths. And those guys aren’t all that easy to find.

Michael Jackson III from Desert Pines in Las Vegas fits the profile. He plays with noticeable power after the catch along with quickness. He certainly has running back traits with a thick, durable build.

He’s a composite 3-star, but 247 has him the highest as an 88. That number fits inside the 3-star/4-star margin of error. He’s a good player and if UT filled the JoJo Earle void with Jackson and Theo Knox, I’d be pleased.

Jackson seems to be a culture fit. Here’s our exchange:

You’re a new name to me, can you catch me up on your recruiting?:
“Yes, no problem. I started taking trips about this time last year, my sophomore year. I've visited Miami, UNLV, Cal-Berkeley, Utah, UCLA, Oregon, West Virginia, Arizona, USC, Arizona State, Tennessee, Nevada, Oregon State, and Georgia. I've attended camps at West Virginia, Georgia, UNLV, Cal, USC, UCLA, and Miami. Before the pandemic caused schools to close their campuses, my coach and parents had scheduled trips to Washington, Texas, Michigan, Texas A&M, Baylor, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida, and back to Miami and Georgia. All of these trips were supposed to happen in the months of March through June.”

You’re on the move. How long have you been talking to Texas?
“I've been talking to Texas’ coaches for a couple of months now. My older brother Jamil was in the Army and lives near Houston now and has been really on me for about a year now to take a close look at Texas.”

Just finished watching your Hudl. Does Jamil want you to look at Texas because it’s close to him or another reason?
“Yeah, mostly because of him. But he's also stressed to me how much football is beloved by Texas residents. The history, the tradition... it’s all very appealing!”

I see some Devin Duvernay to your game.
“Love Duvernay's game! I watched him a lot. Like his game and I definitely see the similarities between us. I've also seen how Texas' offense has been under Coach Herman. Really explosive, fast, and uses the slot receivers a lot which is really interesting, very intriguing.”

I know we’re in a holding pattern but do you have a broad idea of when you’ll decide what OVs to take and ultimately make a decision?
“Yeah the COVID-19 pandemic has altered things a little bit but I had planned to make a decision towards the start of the fall football season, but now that could possibly change to an earlier date. I haven't really solidified any official visit dates yet. I've talked possible OV dates with a few schools but it's just really hard to schedule officials and make those dates stick right now. I do still plan on taking all five visits but we'll see.”

Do you know what you want to study?
“I plan on studying engineering or business (with an emphasis on marketing).”

ANDREW MUKUBA

The 2021 Austin LBJ safety has emerged as a top target at the position for Texas. He’s high on Texas, Clemson, Alabama, LSU, and OU. The sentiment I’ve picked up on is he feels all of his offers are committable. I’ve heard Clemson is pushing hard, including Dabo Swinney himself. Nick Saban has also been involved for Alabama, though he tends to be involved in a lot of recruitments.

With kids committing earlier due to so much uncertainty, Texas needs to keep the pressure on.

TEAM

I’m hoping for a quick hitter on team for today. I’m waiting to hear back from some people.

MORE JORDON THOMAS 

It happened a little sooner than expected and that's the only surprise.

It seemed for the longest time that Texas had a great shot at Thomas’ services. He instantly bonded with DL coach Oscar Giles and loved the family atmosphere. Give the Horns' staff credit for getting in on him early.

LSU, OU, Texas A&M, and others were among his many scholarship offers, but at the end of the day this kid was never going far from home. A&M's Terry Price made a credible push, but over the last four months it seemed the burnt orange was his silent leader. His main reason for committing to Texas?

"One of the reasons was the state on my chest, family on my back," Thomas told Inside Texas. "Always family."

After missing his junior year to injury, Thomas is healthy and ready to finish his high school career strong.

"I'm working to get better on my football technique and better awareness with my eyes," said Thomas. "I just want to get better."

A big factor was his grandfather, who Thomas lives with. I'm told he was a big fan of Texas once he visited campus last February, and is very fond of Giles and the UT staff. What type of player will the Longhorns be getting in Thomas?

"Humble and hungry, with ruthless aggression," Thomas said.

His high school coach, Brian Morgan, just gushes over his 2021 talent. Great kid, high character, and hard worker are attributes you hear the most. Texas just got a junkyard dog that won't complain, will be versatile enough to play a few spots on the defensive line, and is only hungry for success. Giles, keep Gilin'.

ANDREW JONES 

If there was a checklist for linebackers, 2021's Andrew Jones would check most of the boxes.

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound inside linebacker out of John Ehret High School in Marrero, LA tracks and smacks. This dude can hit.

If Jones is the guy you target after Jaydon Williams, who chose Arizona State on Friday, it might actually be an upgrade. He tallied 137 tackles (98 solo) with 42 tackles for loss in 2019 for the southern Louisiana program.

"Recruitment has been great," said Jones. "I have literally have nothing to complain about."

With 20+ offers, Jones is getting the attention his film deserves.

"I'm talking to Georgia, FSU, Mississippi State, SMU, Houston, and Texas Tech a lot," said Jones. "I'm looking for team chemistry. I don't want to be too close but not too far from home, and playing time will be a factor."

But what about the new Texas offer?

"They are one of my top schools," said Jones. "I want to visit them as soon as I can. I hear great things."

He's starting to build a relationship with the UT staff including new LB coach Coleman Hutzler. This is one of those talents that if LSU overlooks, somebody will receive a nice surprise when signing day arrives. Seeing Austin is the first priority.

LANDON HULLABY 

When Jaden Hullaby committed to UT's Class of 2020 last spring, it was only a matter of time before his little brother, Landon, picked up a Texas offer.

The siblings began at Dallas Bishop Dunne then transferred to Mansfield Timberview to begin the 2019 season. Landon, 6-foot-0, 185-pound junior-to-be is classified as an athlete, a lot like his older brother. The District 6-5A defensive newcomer of the year as a sophomore excels on both sides of the ball, but safety or linebacker might be his ticket at the next level.

With 17 offers including Tennessee, Nebraska, USC, Georgia Tech, and TCU, Hullaby has a nice start to his recruitment.

"It’s been starting to get pretty interesting lately with new schools coming into the picture," said Landon. "I kind of already know what the local schools are offering. I want to get out and see the schools I haven’t seen before."

Taking recruiting visits seems to be on every prospect's mind these days. They, like us, desire a return to normalcy. Either way, Landon already knows what he wants in a college.

"I'm looking for somewhere the coaches are developing their players and somewhere I can have a great life after football and just a great college atmosphere," said Landon.

As for his Texas offer, I think he was a little surprised.

“It felt great,” said Landon. "And yeah you know (Jaden) is going to do some recruiting. He still wants me to do my own thing though and what’s best for me."

Like most big brothers. At the end of the day, Texas is recruiting the 2022 athlete just like Jaden; as an athletic fit and culture fit that will find their best spot once they hit campus.

NOTE ON SHEMAR TURNER 

The Desoto four-star defensive tackle had a great Zoom call with the Texas staff the other day. I'm told he likes the new scheme, and is training some with current UT defensive lineman Jacoby Jones. He's been telling Turner the new defensive front will get him drafted, which is positive news to any high

Jordon Thomas and Denton Ryan's Ja'Tavion Sanders have the makings of another solid defensive line haul after the additions of Vernon Broughton, Alfred Collins, and Sawyer Goram-Welch in 2020.

UT is squarely in the middle of this one, but it likely has a ways to go.

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Ketch confirming he doesn't really work very hard. He basically contradicts the analysis from the other services, then links to Thomas' "Junior tape". No mention of the ankle that stopped him from playing his Junior year, save for one game in August. 

Also, misspelled his name.

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So are you telling me that Ketch can't even WATCH. THE. TAPE.?

47 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Tennessee actually played decent ball the last half of the season albeit against mostly a garbage schedule. The beginning was no doubt an abject disaster, and that BYU loss was a classic meltdown, but they did win 7 out of their last 8 games. And the only loss, which was to Bama, was more than respectable. They were on the one yard line about to make it a one score game with about 8 minutes left when they fumbled and had it returned 100 yards for a TD. That game was much closer than the score.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are cheating their hillbilly asses off, but that team showed significant progress over the season and they have at least some momentum to sell going forward.

Good point. I mainly just remembered them  losing to Georgia State and BYU and opening the year like 1-4. I didn’t realize they went 7-1 from there on out. Makes more sense that they have something to sell. 

Yet another SEC team that will be passing up aggy. As always, their performance is middle of the pack, but they’ll keep talking like they’re elite. 

33 minutes ago, Hornsfan91 said:

IT’s Inside Scoop

JORDON THOMAS

The Port Arthur Memorial defensive end and newest Texas commit has flown a bit under the radar during his recruitment, but he’s been a priority for Texas for a long-time. UT was very early to offer when most, including yours truly, had never heard of him.

His lighter profile is mostly due to missing his junior year, a year I believe he was going to become a household name.

I base that on three things. First is talks with TexAgs’ Ryan Brauninger who saw Thomas at practice just before his injury. Brauninger was effusive in his praise of Thomas, even using the word “freak.” Brauny made it sound like Thomas was a surefire top-10 player in the state.

Secondly, I’ve heard similar from coaching circles. Here’s an old exchange: “He ran the 100m and 200m as a sophomore. My buddy who’s at Texas Southern was there the same day as Oscar Giles during Thomas’ sophomore year and he called to tell me this dude is going to be the top player in the country.”

Thirdly, here’s a coach at Port Arthur Memorial: “He was 6-3, 245 as a sophomore in high school. He was pushing 255 before COVID and could be 260-plus by the time he gets to UT.”

We don’t know what his senior year will look like, but the similarities to Ta’Quon Graham are pretty noticeable. Graham exited high school at 260 pounds and also was a little under-appreciated, mainly due to an injury that considerably hampered him throughout his senior year. Graham was forced to play 4i early in his career, but would have been a better fit for defensive end initially. As a physically mature senior with plenty of experience Graham can play down to 3-tech with ease. I expect a similar developmental curve to Thomas, though he’s more athletic and will have the benefit of playing a true defensive end early in his career.

MICHAEL JACKSON

“The H receiver position is really the one that if you built it in a lab, the two that we have right now in Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington would be that. Guys that have played tailback in high school and guys that can get open in space and are durable enough to take the hits that slot receivers take quite frequently.”

That quote is from Tom Herman’s chat with PJC and Inside Texas.

I’m coining the position ‘slot machine’ because I like the fitting double entendre. We’ll see if fetch is going to happen.

An aside: Herman excluded Lil’Jordan Humphrey, but he played running back at a high level in high school despite being 6-foot-4. Remember how I said there’s no real point in evaluating for the express purpose of finding a LJH clone? That’s because it’s a mostly futile task. It’s easier to find the Duvernays, Whittingtons, and Smiths. And those guys aren’t all that easy to find.

Michael Jackson III from Desert Pines in Las Vegas fits the profile. He plays with noticeable power after the catch along with quickness. He certainly has running back traits with a thick, durable build.

He’s a composite 3-star, but 247 has him the highest as an 88. That number fits inside the 3-star/4-star margin of error. He’s a good player and if UT filled the JoJo Earle void with Jackson and Theo Knox, I’d be pleased.

Jackson seems to be a culture fit. Here’s our exchange:

You’re a new name to me, can you catch me up on your recruiting?:
“Yes, no problem. I started taking trips about this time last year, my sophomore year. I've visited Miami, UNLV, Cal-Berkeley, Utah, UCLA, Oregon, West Virginia, Arizona, USC, Arizona State, Tennessee, Nevada, Oregon State, and Georgia. I've attended camps at West Virginia, Georgia, UNLV, Cal, USC, UCLA, and Miami. Before the pandemic caused schools to close their campuses, my coach and parents had scheduled trips to Washington, Texas, Michigan, Texas A&M, Baylor, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida, and back to Miami and Georgia. All of these trips were supposed to happen in the months of March through June.”

You’re on the move. How long have you been talking to Texas?
“I've been talking to Texas’ coaches for a couple of months now. My older brother Jamil was in the Army and lives near Houston now and has been really on me for about a year now to take a close look at Texas.”

Just finished watching your Hudl. Does Jamil want you to look at Texas because it’s close to him or another reason?
“Yeah, mostly because of him. But he's also stressed to me how much football is beloved by Texas residents. The history, the tradition... it’s all very appealing!”

I see some Devin Duvernay to your game.
“Love Duvernay's game! I watched him a lot. Like his game and I definitely see the similarities between us. I've also seen how Texas' offense has been under Coach Herman. Really explosive, fast, and uses the slot receivers a lot which is really interesting, very intriguing.”

I know we’re in a holding pattern but do you have a broad idea of when you’ll decide what OVs to take and ultimately make a decision?
“Yeah the COVID-19 pandemic has altered things a little bit but I had planned to make a decision towards the start of the fall football season, but now that could possibly change to an earlier date. I haven't really solidified any official visit dates yet. I've talked possible OV dates with a few schools but it's just really hard to schedule officials and make those dates stick right now. I do still plan on taking all five visits but we'll see.”

Do you know what you want to study?
“I plan on studying engineering or business (with an emphasis on marketing).”

ANDREW MUKUBA

The 2021 Austin LBJ safety has emerged as a top target at the position for Texas. He’s high on Texas, Clemson, Alabama, LSU, and OU. The sentiment I’ve picked up on is he feels all of his offers are committable. I’ve heard Clemson is pushing hard, including Dabo Swinney himself. Nick Saban has also been involved for Alabama, though he tends to be involved in a lot of recruitments.

With kids committing earlier due to so much uncertainty, Texas needs to keep the pressure on.

TEAM

I’m hoping for a quick hitter on team for today. I’m waiting to hear back from some people.

MORE JORDON THOMAS 

It happened a little sooner than expected and that's the only surprise.

It seemed for the longest time that Texas had a great shot at Thomas’ services. He instantly bonded with DL coach Oscar Giles and loved the family atmosphere. Give the Horns' staff credit for getting in on him early.

LSU, OU, Texas A&M, and others were among his many scholarship offers, but at the end of the day this kid was never going far from home. A&M's Terry Price made a credible push, but over the last four months it seemed the burnt orange was his silent leader. His main reason for committing to Texas?

"One of the reasons was the state on my chest, family on my back," Thomas told Inside Texas. "Always family."

After missing his junior year to injury, Thomas is healthy and ready to finish his high school career strong.

"I'm working to get better on my football technique and better awareness with my eyes," said Thomas. "I just want to get better."

A big factor was his grandfather, who Thomas lives with. I'm told he was a big fan of Texas once he visited campus last February, and is very fond of Giles and the UT staff. What type of player will the Longhorns be getting in Thomas?

"Humble and hungry, with ruthless aggression," Thomas said.

His high school coach, Brian Morgan, just gushes over his 2021 talent. Great kid, high character, and hard worker are attributes you hear the most. Texas just got a junkyard dog that won't complain, will be versatile enough to play a few spots on the defensive line, and is only hungry for success. Giles, keep Gilin'.

ANDREW JONES 

If there was a checklist for linebackers, 2021's Andrew Jones would check most of the boxes.

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound inside linebacker out of John Ehret High School in Marrero, LA tracks and smacks. This dude can hit.

If Jones is the guy you target after Jaydon Williams, who chose Arizona State on Friday, it might actually be an upgrade. He tallied 137 tackles (98 solo) with 42 tackles for loss in 2019 for the southern Louisiana program.

"Recruitment has been great," said Jones. "I have literally have nothing to complain about."

With 20+ offers, Jones is getting the attention his film deserves.

"I'm talking to Georgia, FSU, Mississippi State, SMU, Houston, and Texas Tech a lot," said Jones. "I'm looking for team chemistry. I don't want to be too close but not too far from home, and playing time will be a factor."

But what about the new Texas offer?

"They are one of my top schools," said Jones. "I want to visit them as soon as I can. I hear great things."

He's starting to build a relationship with the UT staff including new LB coach Coleman Hutzler. This is one of those talents that if LSU overlooks, somebody will receive a nice surprise when signing day arrives. Seeing Austin is the first priority.

LANDON HULLABY 

When Jaden Hullaby committed to UT's Class of 2020 last spring, it was only a matter of time before his little brother, Landon, picked up a Texas offer.

The siblings began at Dallas Bishop Dunne then transferred to Mansfield Timberview to begin the 2019 season. Landon, 6-foot-0, 185-pound junior-to-be is classified as an athlete, a lot like his older brother. The District 6-5A defensive newcomer of the year as a sophomore excels on both sides of the ball, but safety or linebacker might be his ticket at the next level.

With 17 offers including Tennessee, Nebraska, USC, Georgia Tech, and TCU, Hullaby has a nice start to his recruitment.

"It’s been starting to get pretty interesting lately with new schools coming into the picture," said Landon. "I kind of already know what the local schools are offering. I want to get out and see the schools I haven’t seen before."

Taking recruiting visits seems to be on every prospect's mind these days. They, like us, desire a return to normalcy. Either way, Landon already knows what he wants in a college.

"I'm looking for somewhere the coaches are developing their players and somewhere I can have a great life after football and just a great college atmosphere," said Landon.

As for his Texas offer, I think he was a little surprised.

“It felt great,” said Landon. "And yeah you know (Jaden) is going to do some recruiting. He still wants me to do my own thing though and what’s best for me."

Like most big brothers. At the end of the day, Texas is recruiting the 2022 athlete just like Jaden; as an athletic fit and culture fit that will find their best spot once they hit campus.

NOTE ON SHEMAR TURNER 

The Desoto four-star defensive tackle had a great Zoom call with the Texas staff the other day. I'm told he likes the new scheme, and is training some with current UT defensive lineman Jacoby Jones. He's been telling Turner the new defensive front will get him drafted, which is positive news to any high

Jordon Thomas and Denton Ryan's Ja'Tavion Sanders have the makings of another solid defensive line haul after the additions of Vernon Broughton, Alfred Collins, and Sawyer Goram-Welch in 2020.

UT is squarely in the middle of this one, but it likely has a ways to go.

I hope the offseason stuff about Thomas is legit. His sophomore film is solid, but it isn’t overly impressive. It’s funny they compare him to TQ as if it’s a good thing. To me, TQ is the bottom half of the curve for Thomas outcomes. He looks impressive off the bus and has good athleticism, but lacks the explosion and bend to threaten off the edge and instead becomes a guy we shift inside who’s solid against the run but doesn’t do much to be disruptive. Maybe TQ will shine a lot more this year in a better system for the DL, but Thomas becoming another TQ should be the concern, not the hope IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

He'll  grad transfer to back up Ewers in a few years

Ignoring the absurdity that qbs don’t often transfer elsewhere to back up another qb, Ewers at this point is hardly a certainty. I wouldn’t call him a pipe dream, but it isn’t looking good right now at all. You’d better hope OU signs that highly ranked kid they’re fighting off Maryland for and that Ewers doesn’t want to leave the state of Texas for a place like Alabama. 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ignoring the absurdity that qbs don’t often transfer elsewhere to back up another qb, Ewers at this point is hardly a certainty. I wouldn’t call him a pipe dream, but it isn’t looking good right now at all. You’d better hope OU signs that highly ranked kid they’re fighting off Maryland for and that Ewers doesn’t want to leave the state of Texas for a place like Alabama. 

it was a joke.. I miss @closetojumping , Sydney it's too early to be this grumpy.

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If Williams goes to Maryland, Ewers will officially be a pipe dream

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

it was a joke.. I miss @closetojumping , Sydney it's too early to be this grumpy.

Not sure anyone has ever uttered those words before. Also, you think that guy is a fount of sunshine? 

Sorry for the grumpiness. A toddler who hasn’t been to daycare for 6 weeks just winged my fucking nutsack with a macho man elbow off the top of the couch. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Not sure anyone has ever uttered those words before. Also, you think that guy is a fount of sunshine? 

Sorry for the grumpiness. A toddler who hasn’t been to daycare for 6 weeks just winged my fucking nutsack with a macho man elbow off the top of the couch. 

LOL I hear ya my man.  I too am worried about Ewers, so I hope that MD kid does commit to ou.  Ewers looks LEGIT and the thought of him playing for ou in Dallas makes me sick

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

LOL I hear ya my man.  I too am worried about Ewers, so I hope that MD kid does commit to ou.  Ewers looks LEGIT and the thought of him playing for ou in Dallas makes me sick

I don't care how many first round quarterbacks they shit out, I will simply never be able to imagine wanting to spend any part of my life in Norman, Oklahoma. 

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

anyone who willfully attends OU did not grow up anything close to a horn.

I would think you, more than anyone, would understand and recognize that there’s always a percentage of the population that get their rocks off on being contrarian morherfuckers for shits and giggles. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

A future TPE for Surly?

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Guessing we're still looking good here?

The only thing inhibiting us here is potentially the logjam we're acquiring at his potential positions. We've got 2 DE and 1 OLB linebackers committed already, and Juan Davis could make it a 4th, although I doubt that would scare Smith. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Shit I'd hope so..this kid is a baller. I don't care if he winds up at OLB or DE.. he's special.

IDK if any will agree, but he's similar to Sanders IMO.  Plays WR/TE on offense and DE on D'.  He doesn't have the supporting cast Denton Ryan does, but he's a stud no doubt.  Not sure why he's listed as a LB, he's a WDE all the way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

LSU boards say the Brockermeyer's have set up a visit for the Texas game.

I wish Herman had done a better job recruiting and winning on the field to date, because I'd love to be able to tell them and particularly their father to fuck right the fuck off. But we can't. They're make and break for this OL class. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I wish Herman had done a better job recruiting and winning on the field to date, because I'd love to be able to tell them and particularly their father to fuck right the fuck off. But we can't. They're make and break for this OL class. 

It's fine. They'll be Texas locks after that game.

48 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

IDK if any will agree, but he's similar to Sanders IMO.  Plays WR/TE on offense and DE on D'.  He doesn't have the supporting cast Denton Ryan does, but he's a stud no doubt.  Not sure why he's listed as a LB, he's a WDE all the way.

Smith is an absolute stud. He and Thomas aren’t the same kind of player, but I’d definitely have him over Thomas. He won’t have trouble getting up to 250 and his ceiling as a pass rusher is off the charts. He’s an absolute must get, especially now that we missed in Jackson

• Like 3

The Athletic: Why 2021 defensive end prospect Jordon Thomas committed to Texas

Although Thomas wishes he could have played last year, Memorial head coach Jason Cecil said he thought Thomas handled his situation well. Cecil added that the current hiatus from football due to the COVID-19 outbreak might benefit Thomas in making a complete recovery.

As Thomas made up his mind, Cecil offered support.

“I never expected him to go far from home,” Cecil said. “I thought that was as far west as he was gonna go, either one of (UT or Texas A&M).”

full text

Spoiler

Why 2021 defensive end prospect Jordon Thomas committed to Texas

By Kaelen Jones 7h ago  1  
AUSTIN, Texas — In the midst of uncertain times, Jordon Thomas, Texas’ latest 2021 commit, wanted to make one thing clear.

Thomas, a four-star prospect currently ranked as 247Sports’ No. 15 weak-side defensive end, had trimmed his college shortlist to two in-state programs: Texas and Texas A&M. The Port Arthur Memorial High defender had originally planned to announce his decision just before the start of his senior year. But Thomas changed his mind, announcing his pledge to the Longhorns over the weekend. It marked UT’s second in-state commitment of the week following Atascocita High tight end Landen King.

I REMEMBER
@LonersWorld5
 Respect my decision 💯🤘🏿@OB_JasonS @horns_news @coachbmorgan @OscarGiles95 @CoachTomHerman @TexasFootball

View image on Twitter
12:35 PM - May 2, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
390 people are talking about this
“My Twitter blew up,” Thomas said. “I was just excited the whole day. I barely got any sleep.”

Two chief reasons influenced Thomas’ decision. He said the Longhorns’ motto of “state on your chest, family on your back,” deeply resonated with him. He also noted that UT does work on campus with practicing Muslims, and Thomas said that UT supports him taking a pilgrimage to Mecca, one of his biggest aspirations. Last December, Thomas and his grandfather, Muhammad Abdullah, a practicing Muslim, visited the Islamic Center of Nacogdoches, where Thomas converted.

“It was so wonderful for me,” Thomas said. “I just found peace within myself.”

“That really touched my heart,” added Abdullah, whom Thomas described as being a father-like figure.

Advice from Abdullah, 70, helped accelerate Thomas’ decision process. Thomas leaned on Abdullah for guidance leading up to his commitment. Abdullah urged Thomas, “Don’t miss out on your opportunity.”

Abdullah lives in Nacogdoches, more than a two-hour drive away from Thomas in Port Arthur. But when Thomas was growing up, the distance never prevented Abdullah from making it to Thomas’ football games and track meets.

“He gravitated to me as a youngster,” Abdullah said. “‘Papa, I did this! Papa, I did that!’ That’s what’s made him so special to me.”

Thomas took Abdullah’s advice about not missing out on his chance, something he’s already learned the hard way. The 6-foot-3, 240-pound defender suffered an ankle injury in the first game of his junior year that required surgery, knocking him out for the rest of the season.

“It really affected me,” Thomas said, “because I could have gotten more offers. But it wasn’t in my hands. It’s in God’s hands. So it really hurt me a little bit, but I just had to prevail through the situation.”

Thomas had shined enough during his sophomore season to grab second-team all-district honors and attention from schools, earning offers from LSU, Baylor, TCU, Houston and SMU in addition to the Longhorns and Aggies

Although Thomas wishes he could have played last year, Memorial head coach Jason Cecil said he thought Thomas handled his situation well. Cecil added that the current hiatus from football due to the COVID-19 outbreak might benefit Thomas in making a complete recovery.

As Thomas made up his mind, Cecil offered support.

“I never expected him to go far from home,” Cecil said. “I thought that was as far west as he was gonna go, either one of (UT or Texas A&M).”

The Longhorns first offered Thomas in February 2019. Defensive line coach Oscar Giles, one of five assistants retained by head coach Tom Herman this offseason, led the recruiting charge. Herman and recruiting coordinator, Bryan Carrington, were also key in notching Thomas’ verbal. Thomas said he met first-year defensive coordinator Chris Ash during a visit in February.

UT coaches indicated they want Thomas to play the weak-side defensive end role in Ash’s new four-man front. Thomas, who’s competed as a 100-, 200- and 400-meter sprinter, thinks the position could maximize his speed, but he doesn’t care which side he’s lined up on. Cecil said that Thomas’ aggressive mentality is what could make him a good fit for the Longhorns.

“The way that they practice and the way they play, he’s gonna enjoy it,” Cecil said. “He’s a physical football player and likes that part of the game.”

Thomas is a key piece in the Longhorns’ current eight-man 2021 class, which represents the first full recruiting cycle at UT for Ash and several other assistants. The Longhorns have re-emphasized landing premier defensive line talent since Ash’s arrival. They already had secured a pledge from five-star ‘21 athlete Ja’Tavion Sanders, a top Denton (Texas) Ryan High prospect who projects as a weak-side defensive end.

And despite missing out on four-star defensive line target Landon Jackson out of Texarkana Pleasant Grove who committed to LSU in late April, Thomas’ commitment ensured that the Longhorns added at least one more top in-state defensive lineman to pair with Sanders.

Thomas said he looks forward to his final season at Memorial. He believes his focus will serve him well as he turns his attention from the recruiting process to the next step.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 2