Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ibraheem was definitely being penciled in as an Aggie class member earlier this year. Burt was just saying he had the same sorta feel to him as Dylan Wright or Demani Richardson. I don't think he was suggesting he was on the take at that time, but Burt is more than capable of speaking for himself. But many here including myself were writing off Ibraheem at the begging of the year. There's no argument  Valai has done a great job on the trail. I still want to see how well he coaches. If he can coach, we've got ourselves a live one. 

Yeah I didn't mean to expose Burt's take for thinking like that, there were a lot of posters agreeing with him.  I just used it to show how far that recruitment went to now.  But maybe we should have seen this coming with him not attending the SB party and some other event prior.

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

247 has Ibraheem ranked like shit. Is it too much to hope they revise their ranking from just a few weeks ago so we can get the requisite BOMC ratings bump for him and make their heads explode?

He's pretty new to corner. His knocks are standing up to the run (requires physical maturity, he's long) and fluidity on tape. If he's able to put what we've seen in position work/7v7/trainer tape on the field for his senior season, he'll make a massive rankings jump. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He's pretty new to corner. His knocks are standing up to the run (requires physical maturity, he's long) and fluidity on tape. If he's able to put what we've seen in position work/7v7/trainer tape on the field for his senior season, he'll make a massive rankings jump. 

I'm sure he can improve. I just found it odd he was ranked much higher for 247, then bumped down for criticism that would have existed already.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

This was back in January, they weren't happy about Ish not making it in.  He was also on the list Perroni too early prediction for the aggys 21 class.

image.png.70e21336e80494ab4d86509d6dee4425.png

Ryan B in feb- - If you're asking me who could be the next guy to join the 2021 class, I'd still keep an eye on a trio from the Metroplex: jumbo Grandview ATH Dametrious Crownover, Denton Guyer CB Deuce Harmon, and Dallas Kimball CB Ishmael Ibraheem. From what Jason and I know, the Aggies are still in good standing with all three. 

Howell- -I still like the Aggies' chances with guys like Reuben FathereeBryce FosterShemar TurnerLandon JacksonMarcus BurrisJordon Thomas, and Ishmael Ibraheem. I'm not ready to put them all on commit watch, but these are all guys I believe the Aggies will get on campus again soon, and will be squarely in the mix for when it comes to decision making time.

During this time @Burt Macklin posted about Ibraheem being this cycle's bought player out of nowhere for the aggys.

Seemed by the end of March there was no more Ibraheem talk in next up/class predictions

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ibraheem was definitely being penciled in as an Aggie class member earlier this year. Burt was just saying he had the same sorta feel to him as Dylan Wright or Demani Richardson. I don't think he was suggesting he was on the take at that time, but Burt is more than capable of speaking for himself. But many here including myself were writing off Ibraheem at the begging of the year. There's no argument  Valai has done a great job on the trail. I still want to see how well he coaches. If he can coach, we've got ourselves a live one. 

Yeah, the confidence aggy writers had about Ibraheem even though he hadn’t shown a ton of interest in them reminded me of guys who were bought and committed out of nowhere in previous cycles.

Really glad we were able to prevent that. Valai has done a great job, especially considering he came in this year and hasn’t been able to visit recruits in person. 

• Like 3

Rivals is very bullish on Gunnar Helm the player, and Gunnar Helm to Texas. Much of the latter is a result of quotes pulled from Helm by Rivals. I went back in and read some of his quotes about other schools and they're similar in sentiment. Kid is sunshiney af. 

It does appear that we are in his top 5, but take any positive momentum with a grain of salt. Every team in his top 5 will believe they lead for his services.

Spoiler

The four-star tight end from Greenwood Village (Colo.) Cherry Creek has LSU, Auburn, Georgia, UCLA, Wisconsin and maybe some others high on the list.

And then Texas offered in recent days and the Longhorns are right in the thick of things even if he cannot yet take a visit.

“That was one I’ve wanted for a while,” Helm said. “I’m just going to keep my options open and see what they have to offer.

“I’m doing a virtual with them this week so I’ll see what it’s all about.”

Helm was contacted by Texas assistant coach Jay Boulware, the two had a lengthy phone conversation and Texas is a legitimate player now in his recruitment.

“He really just DMed me and told me to call him and we had a long talk, probably about 45 minutes,” Helm said.

“That’s when he offered. We talked about (Cherry Creek teammate) Arden (Walker) and just how they use their tight end and just Colorado in general so it wasn’t just all about football. Some of it was about family and other stuff like that.”

For the four-star tight end, there’s a lot to like with the Longhorns.

“It’s a storied program and they’ve always been good,” Helm said. “They’re back on the come-up and it’s an amazing education, you’re in a great part of Texas and the South has always been kind of appealing to me.”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Rivals is very bullish on Gunnar Helm the player, and Gunnar Helm to Texas. Much of the latter is a result of quotes pulled from Helm by Rivals. I went back in and read some of his quotes about other schools and they're similar in sentiment. Kid is sunshiney af. 

It does appear that we are in his top 5, but take any positive momentum with a grain of salt. Every team in his top 5 will believe they lead for his services.

Reveal hidden contents

The four-star tight end from Greenwood Village (Colo.) Cherry Creek has LSU, Auburn, Georgia, UCLA, Wisconsin and maybe some others high on the list.

And then Texas offered in recent days and the Longhorns are right in the thick of things even if he cannot yet take a visit.

“That was one I’ve wanted for a while,” Helm said. “I’m just going to keep my options open and see what they have to offer.

“I’m doing a virtual with them this week so I’ll see what it’s all about.”

Helm was contacted by Texas assistant coach Jay Boulware, the two had a lengthy phone conversation and Texas is a legitimate player now in his recruitment.

“He really just DMed me and told me to call him and we had a long talk, probably about 45 minutes,” Helm said.

“That’s when he offered. We talked about (Cherry Creek teammate) Arden (Walker) and just how they use their tight end and just Colorado in general so it wasn’t just all about football. Some of it was about family and other stuff like that.”

For the four-star tight end, there’s a lot to like with the Longhorns.

“It’s a storied program and they’ve always been good,” Helm said. “They’re back on the come-up and it’s an amazing education, you’re in a great part of Texas and the South has always been kind of appealing to me.”

In 2 days he has a good chance for some BOMC on 247 with the offense rankings update. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Happy DB Day y'all

The sand cat (Felis margarita), also known as the sand dune cat, is a small wild cat living in sandy and stony deserts far from water sources.

Its way of moving is distinct: with its belly close to the ground, it moves at a fast run punctuated with occasional leaps. It is capable of sudden bursts of speed and can sprint at speeds of 30–40 km (19–25 mi) per hour. 

976uv0jizz431.jpg

I am not making this up.  Try it for yourselves, if you wish to.

"The sand cat (Felis margarita) ... "

image.png

Football?  Margaritas?

That's a fun 

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, the confidence aggy writers had about Ibraheem even though he hadn’t shown a ton of interest in them reminded me of guys who were bought and committed out of nowhere in previous cycles.

In my version of the story, he was bought by the aggies, already spent the money, and is signing with Texas today anyway.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm sure he can improve. I just found it odd he was ranked much higher for 247, then bumped down for criticism that would have existed already.

I think he's easily a top 15 prospect in the state, and probably top 10 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Current rankings

ut9.png

tamu22.png

ou31.png

Wow. I didn’t realize Baylor already had 15 commits, and not a single one is above a 3 star. I’m sure some of them are good evals, but even Rhule’s best players at Baylor were usually the higher-rated guys. It’s also probably tough for Aranda and his staff to come in brand new and then not get to actually visit with recruits to build relationships. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Wow. I didn’t realize Baylor already had 15 commits, and not a single one is above a 3 star. I’m sure some of them are good evals, but even Rhule’s best players at Baylor were usually the higher-rated guys. It’s also probably tough for Aranda and his staff to come in brand new and then not get to actually visit with recruits to build relationships. 

That's a good WR class given that it's a down year in-state, and Drones can ball. Never heard of the RB, but given that he's their highest-rated guy I'm sure he's fine. Tate Williams and Cisco Caston both have had some buzz. Other than that, it's a whole lot of "...who?"

Their highest-ranked defensive commit is a CB from Stillwater High that doesn't have an Okie Lite offer, so I'm sure he's awesome.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Jerry Stiller Chump GIF

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Does he have official times? He looked good in coverage.

He has very limited track times, and they aren't good. This is the issue that @Burt Macklin was talking about. without camp times it's hard to know what we've got other than a guy who clearly has a very high floor - because he can play football. 

I'd guess that despite what we've seen in the track numbers that the pursuit by this staff means that he has a better than expected shuttle time (which would make sense given his ability cover and change direction on his HUDL). It also means that Yancey has approved of his flexibility. Under Herman, Texas simply hasn't taken any DBs that don't meet a certain criteria  and the two most common things are good shuttle time and good flexibility. 

• Like 4

"this summer"

Atta boy, Jay. I think we'll get some goodwill on the trail between last Friday and whenever the University announces changes, but getting the team reinvolved with recruiting mode before the season hits seems pretty important. That said, I don't actually know if they have chosen to pause on it in the interim, or whether they're participating pending a response. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Does he have official times? He looked good in coverage.

His track times though limited are poor, and a lot of recruitniks have questioned his speed. I disagree that he looks fast on film. He has good instincts and positioning so he gets places quick, but I don’t see much speed on film and he looks slow for a safety take at Texas IMO. He can mitigate speed concerns with those traits, but it does limit his ceiling if that’s the case. 

33 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Only individual time I can find is a 24.24 200 when he was a freshman. Fuck if I know how much he's changed physically since then. Or if he's raw physically (shoutout one of the 9.95ers).

His 247 page says he ran a 23.37 his junior year, but I’m not sure where they got that. If it’s accurate, that’s not very good. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not sure if you saw this but it's funny you mention it, because I was just talking about their class as well. It came from the discussion on Chase Lowery but ... 

I'm stunned that Aranda didn't make Lowery a priority, esp after the Barron deal - it's like Aranda wanted to reset the board on D and decided to sit out 2021 or something. If I was Ash, I would be working Cisco Caston behind the scenes and keeping him hot because I think he's got a chance to roll in the S/LB hybrid tweener spot and with his frame and speed, yeah I'd keep him warm.  

I'm not seeing a ton of the Rhule evals either. I mean, those guys all had pretty impressive measurables. These guys? Oof. Outside of Caston this defensive class is ... rough. I guess the WR mixed bag is not bad - it's got guys who could develop in Bean and Presley but that Gipson take looks ... bad. 

that class is a mess right now. 

5 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Db recruiting is good this cycle.

Especially if we can land Mukuba. Bowman + Coffey + Ibraheem + Mukuba looks like a damn nice DB class in what I perceive to be a bit of a down year in Texas.

Wonder if they'll look for 1 more CB late in the cycle, or if Barron basically took that spot.