Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Not sure if you saw this but it's funny you mention it, because I was just talking about their class as well. It came from the discussion on Chase Lowery but ... 

I'm not seeing a ton of the Rhule evals either. I mean, those guys all had pretty impressive measurables. These guys? Oof. Outside of Caston this defensive class is ... rough. I guess the WR mixed bag is not bad - it's got guys who could develop in Bean and Presley but that Gipson take looks ... bad. 

that class is a mess right now. 

Yeah, Rhule had a very obvious recruiting philosophy from day one. He wanted certain athleticism thresholds to be elite and then bet on himself to coach those guys up. 

There are so many unknowns when you hire a coordinator, especially a DC, who has never been a HC. Can he keep his defense up while taking on HC duties and coaching a lower level of athletes? How’s his selection of OCs going to be? What’s his evaluation/recruiting system going to be like? Can he manage the locker room? On and on the questions go.

Hell, we all complain about Herman’s short resume, but at least he’d been a HC for two years. We at least had some of those questions answered, like we knew he set up an impressive recruiting department at UH. 

• Like 1

(Justin Wells) Inside Scoop: Coffey, Ibraheem, and 2022 offers talk Texas

Want some Coffey and Ibraheem with your breakfast? Read the Scoop as an appetizer. Should be a good day.

With Kennedale safety JD Coffey and Dallas Kimball corner Ishmael Ibraheem set to announce today, UT fans are hoping for a big jolt on the recruiting trail for the 2021 class. We’ve been discussing both for a long time so I wanted to add a different voice. This is from someone in Dallas who knows both very well. It’ll sound familiar to what you’ve read previously. That just means we all know what we’re talking about. Or we’re all wrong in the same way. Time will tell but bet on the former.

Ishmael Ibraheem: ”He hasn’t played his best football yet. That will be 2-3 years down the line. He needs to get 3-5 good meals a day. If he was in Florida he’d be in the top 100 because he’s like a regular, raw Florida kid. He got involved in 7-on-7 late and he got on social media late, so everything is still kind of new to him. After he redshirts and gets his confidence up, watch out. He still doesn’t think he’s as good as these other guys. Everything came to him late. I told him as a freshman, ‘Ish you‘re going to be an All American.‘ He just wanted to get a D1 offer. He’s a big relationship guy. The relationship him and Valai have, he’s one of the kids that wants to talk football because he doesn’t know a lot. He wants to talk about alignment, jamming with his hands, he wants to talk football period. Valai has done really well with him.”

The part about him being a “Florida” type of kid stood out. Coach is insinuating that Ibraheem hasn’t had the resources many of his fellow Texas recruits have and that he’s raw. This source and my buddy at South Oak Cliff grew up together. I talked to my SOC friend on Sunday as well, mainly to ask about linebacker Jaydon Williams. What he said ties in where Coach mentions Ibraheem being a relationship guy. When they say ”relationship” they mean trust and familiarity with a certain type of coach. It will bode very well for Jay Valai if he can land Ibraheem.

Since I mentioned Williams, I hear Arizona State is telling him he should take all five visits. You say that when you have a lot of confidence in your relationship with a player.

JD Coffey: “Probably in the top two along with Verone McKinley III when it comes to instincts. Not the biggest or fastest, but his instincts set him apart. Knack for the ball, feel for the game. Reminds me so much, and I hate to say this, of the Honey Badger, because he’ll do things he’s not asked to do and he’ll be right. And he’ll hit you in the mouth, he’ll come downhill, he’s physical.“

An instinctive player outperforms the stopwatch and can make an evaluator look silly if he relies too much on measurables. Coffey is a combination of Xavion Alford and Jerrin Thompson in the previous class. He seems a great scheme fit with the range to play at a high level in the Big 12.

If Texas lands Ibraheem and Coffey does it help with Andrew Mukuba? Mukuba’s own words last week suggests that it does. My source thinks it will give UT its best shot to land the Austin LBJ safety. Without landing these two, this source isn’t as bullish on UT’s chances for Mukuba. What about Denton Guyer DB and Texas A&M commit Deuce Harmon? Flipping Deuce is unlikely. The new staff would have had to make up for the previous staff’s nonchalance and instead added more nonchalance to overcome. “He killed the SMU camp UT was at then went to Austin and did it again. Still no offer.”

While asking around in DFW I checked on McKinney North wide receiver JJ Henry. From what I gather I don’t think Henry quite understands how productive UT’s slot receivers have been the last couple of years. The good news is I feel like UT is the in-state team to beat for his services. He does like out of state schools like Ole Miss and Florida State, however. UT should be able to make a move. I know one evaluator that likes him more than he likes JoJo Earle. I can’t get there but I’ve been beating the Henry drum for a while.

I’ll have more Scoop on the campus current events but I’m still figuring out how much of that to write.

DASAN MCCULLOUGH

One of the nation’s top prospects for 2022 dropped his top 10 recently. The 6-foot-5, 215-pound "safety" out of Blue Valley North HS in Olathe, KS is a four-star with five-star potential. You'll remember his father is a running backs coach for the Kansas City Chiefs and has a close relationship with Jay Valai. Playing safety might not be his spot at the next level, but for now he's a rangy centerfielder who hits like a truck. Despite being shut-in due to the coronavirus, McCullough has enjoyed the process. "It’s been great," said McCullough. "I'm just taking it day by day and building relationships."

With Alabama, Ohio State, OU, Clemson, and LSU in the mix, who stands out today? "All 10 of the schools on my Top 10 are standing out and will visit accordingly to who is closest," said McCullough. "I'm looking for a place that feels like home, great relationship with the whole staff including the strength and conditioning coaches. A place where I feel needed not wanted, and a great scheme for me to play in."

Tell me why UT made your Top 10: "I love Texas and the energy of the staff," McCullough said. "I’m really looking forward to building an even better relationship and looking at some more film with the coaches."

Does Texas have a legitimate shot here? Probably. But it remains to be seen when he'll get to Austin. The positive is that he's eager to see Austin for himself.

AMARION BROWN

Texas is still combing out-of-state for the 2022 class. They offered the 6-foot-3, 180-pound wide receiver from Martin County HS in Stuart, FL last week. With 12 offers already, including Miami, Florida, Florida State, West Virginia, and Mississippi State, the field-stretcher is really developing on and off the field. He was named All-Area honorable mention after a sophomore campaign that included 450 yards on 30 catches and four scores.

While most believe he'll stay close to home, Brown insists he's open to leaving the Sunshine State and wants to visit plenty of schools, including UT. Take a look: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11293461/5df5b40a4ba7a50d2cc47ff1

HOOPS RECRUIT DAIMION COLLINS

Checking in on the hardwood, it's been relatively quiet since the addition of Greg Brown III for Texas Basketball. But behind the scenes, Shaka Smart and company are looking dandy for five-star post Daimion Collins. The 6-foot-8 senior-to-be from Atlanta, TX has seen his stock skyrocket over the last 12 months. Collins' game has grown too. From a gangly 6-foot-5 two seasons ago, he's filling into his frame as his game is developing. With 14 offers, including Kansas, Oklahoma State, Georgia, OU, and Arkansas, Collins has established himself as a premier ballplayer in the 2021 class.

Catching up with Collins and his mother, Kim, recently, I got a good idea of where they're at in his recruitment. He was a virtual unknown a year ago, and once he was noticed, his performance and confidence grew by the dribble. He was able to sneak in a visit to Austin earlier this year before COVID-19 shut everything down. Advantage: Texas. His family just wants to make sure Collins is happy and making the right decision. They want a coaching staff they trust, and I believe Smart and Jai Lucas check those boxes.

They also want a college of high academics, with Collins being an all A's kind of kid. Advantage: Texas. At the end of the day, they feel like Texas is a great school and just want to continue to build with Smart and Lucas, the with the latter visiting Cass County a handful of times already. I'm not certain how much longer this pursuit will continue, but UT holds almost all the advantages today. I'll have more this week from both.

• Like 1

I found out a little more info. Ted Gordon in the Liberal Arts program is a leader in AA Diaspora Studies and is most likely where the players got their info. Herman told the players to stand up for what they think is right and CDC was cognizant of the conversations. So basically this has blessings from Herman and CDC. They look at it as a good thing.

So for those of you who agree that it is a good thing, it is possible to donate to AA community outreach. The program already has $300K in additional funding since the marches. I will provide you all with the information on how to donate and then we can decide whether you want to donate individually or as a group. If group is decided, Blacklab can contact me on how to arrange it. I should have all the info later this evening or tomorrow.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Wonder if they'll look for 1 more CB late in the cycle, or if Barron basically took that spot.

I think we'd have seen the Texas staff move on Chase Lowery or push harder for Jamier Johnson if they were going to look at one more. The only caveat I see is  Harmon. I see Texas staying on Deuce Harmon to the end. It sounds like he will take his OV and if he's being hosted by several guys that he's played with it could get interesting. He's a better fit for Ash's scheme over Elko's so having the season play out and seeing it will only help. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

His track times though limited are poor, and a lot of recruitniks have questioned his speed. I disagree that he looks fast on film. He has good instincts and positioning so he gets places quick, but I don’t see much speed on film and he looks slow for a safety take at Texas IMO. He can mitigate speed concerns with those traits, but it does limit his ceiling if that’s the case. 

His 247 page says he ran a 23.37 his junior year, but I’m not sure where they got that. If it’s accurate, that’s not very good. 

Faster than me mainly because I'd pull a hammy at 30 meters.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Faster than me mainly because I'd pull a hammy at 30 meters.

I think Yancy needs to add a third threshold for all potential UT offers: can you beat @Bevo in a foot race? The skill position guys will have to race @closetojumping. If a skill guy has really good hands and instincts but lost to CTJ, then maybe they can have a second chance against @SydneyCarton

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think Yancy needs to add a third threshold for all potential UT offers: can you beat @Bevo in a foot race? The skill position guys will have to race @closetojumping. If a skill guy has really good hands and instincts but lost to CTJ, then maybe they can have a second chance against @SydneyCarton

I thought @closetojumping died from a knife fight with @ChiTownDoc over COVID No Politics? Has he risen? 

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Too bad. I miss that bright ray of sunshine. Perhaps we can get him in a kumbaya circle with those he feels have wronged him so he can dialogue through his feelings?

Ha. It’s hardly that. He’s got issues with multiple business entities he’s working through, he’s just busy. That and having his giant brood of children at home is taking a bit of his time. When there’s football again and stuff going on he’ll be back, as delightful as ever. 

• Like 1

Huge day landing a four star CB and S. With the commitments of Alford/Thompson in the 2020 class and securing Coffey's pledge in the 2021 class I wonder if the staff will be looking for another safety in the 2021 class? Feels like Safety should be stacked unless Sterns declares for the draft after this season. Who else is out there at CB that the staff are pursuing? AJ Green recently committed to Arkansas and the aggy snagged Deuce Harmon at the end of May. Is it possible only 1 CB signs in the 2021 class unless something drastic changes in the future? The 2021 class isn't stacked at CB.

2 minutes ago, Chad said:

Huge day landing a four star CB and S. With the commitments of Alford/Thompson in the 2020 class and securing Coffey's pledge in the 2021 class I wonder if the staff will be looking for another safety in the 2021 class? Feels like Safety should be stacked unless Sterns declares for the draft after this season. Who else is out there at CB that the staff are pursuing? AJ Green recently committed to Arkansas and the aggy snagged Deuce Harmon at the end of May. Is it possible only 1 CB signs in the 2021 class unless something drastic changes in the future? The 2021 class isn't stacked at CB.

Assume Sterns is going to declare. We want Mukuba badly.

Bowman is a CB for us, so we have two now. Maybe we take a flyer on a guy down the road after senior film, or one of the California kids comes around on us when visits are allowed again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Bowman is a CB for us, so we have two now. Maybe we take a flyer on a guy down the road after senior film, or one of the California kids comes around on us when visits are allowed again.

I see, I was unaware that Bowman was going to play CB. I thought he was recruited to play WR. 2 Corners should be more than adequate for the 2021 class.

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ha. It’s hardly that. He’s got issues with multiple business entities he’s working through, he’s just busy. That and having his giant brood of children at home is taking a bit of his time. When there’s football again and stuff going on he’ll be back, as delightful as ever. 

Yet he still has ample time to post under this handle and do whatever he chose to do after "retiring" from Iowa. Get the pitchforks!

Edited by KYHorn

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Just like the '21 class is stacked at OL? (I kid, I kid).

I mean, did I miss a declarative statement where he’s a corner? I thought dude was a nickel all the way, or a ball hawking safety?

50 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That and having his giant brood of children at home is taking a bit of his time.

So, CTJ has been marinading in slime for the last 3 months? Are we sure we want him to come back? He's going to be one surly bastard...

Well, I guess I answered my question there. 

33 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Keep in mind the 22' class is stacked at DB.

Denver Harris, Guilbeau, and Jordan all have a chance to be top 10 in-state (Currently 3/8/12 respectively) and we are the perceived leader for errbody. What's even neater is Jordan probably profiles to nickel, so that's all 3 corner spots in one shot. 

19 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Denver Harris, Guilbeau, and Jordan all have a chance to be top 10 in-state (Currently 3/8/12 respectively) and we are the perceived leader for errbody. What's even neater is Jordan probably profiles to nickel, so that's all 3 corner spots in one shot. 

Guilbeau and Jordan, yes. I expect Harris to end up OOS despite his quotes about growing up liking Texas. I think Domani Jackson is a USC dumpster fire season away from being a Longhorn.

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Guilbeau and Jordan, yes. I expect Harris to end up OOS despite his quotes about growing up liking Texas. I think Domani Jackson is a USC dumpster fire season away from being a Longhorn.

Year 1 Todd + air raid = not confident in that this year. I'm trying to convince myself that year 1 Todd won't make an appearance, but with the lack of opportunity to teach his bullshit, it almost assuredly will be the dumbed down version of his scheme that isn't terrible. We won't see a deep third blitz until Week 9.

Now, if Helton could go ahead and Gundy himself...now that would be interesting. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

535-F89-AB-97-C6-4-CFC-B932-EAE14-B83-A8

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2020 at 4:06 PM, satyanash said:

UCLA's 1998 season is an example of what can happen if things go wrong. Heading into the final game of the season against Miami with an undefeated record, a group of players decided to wear black armbands during the game to protest Proposition 209, which barred schools from basing enrollment standards on sex or ethnicity. The administration tried to talk them out of it, the players split into factions during practice, and it culminated in a loss to Miami that knocked them out of NC title contention followed by a loss to Wisky in the Rose Bowl. And the football program never recovered.

Or maybe they never recovered because they were coached by Bob Toledo and they replaced him with Karl Dorrell and then Rick Neuheisel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Or maybe they never recovered because they were coached by Bob Toledo and they replaced him with Karl Dorrell and then Rick Neuheisel.

And their faculty might hate the fact of the football team being there more than any other P5 school. The admin situation there is really toxic.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

They're up there. Cal gives them a run. 

From what I heard, Dykes did a really good job of repairing a lot of the issues that had spawned under Tedford and Wilcox hasn't fucked that up.

The standard level of relations is definitely one of the lowest, but they're on a decent little run of politically savvy coaches.

• Like 2

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Can Texas use today's momentum to win Dallas

Chock. Full.

Mind. Blowing.

Loa. Ded.

Or. Not.

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Can Texas use today's momentum to win Dallas

MikeRoach

—Following the 2020 cycle, a south Dallas coach reached out to Tom Herman and told him that he needed to change the way he recruited their area if they wanted to land more kids from the talent-rich region. Sure the Longhorns signed five prospects from the D-FW area in 2020, but only one (Ja’Quinden Jackson) was from the loaded I-20 corridor. This coach told Herman that Texas didn’t have a legitimate recruiter in the area and he didn’t feel they were serious about their programs. Herman told him things would change moving forward.

—One of the biggest changes was in hiring new cornerbacks coach Jay Valai. A Euless native, Valai spent time training many kids in the area and had relationships with many coaches in the area. From the time Valai arrived, he attacked Dallas in an effort to re-gain ground. The Longhorns are recruiting better in the D-FW area in 2021, and today they got their first south Dallas prospect in Ishmael Ibraheem. So far, the Longhorns have six of their thirteen commits from the north Texas area, and they don’t intend to be done.

—Valai has been involved in the major D-FW recruitments including JoJo Earle, Shemar Turner and most recently, Savion Byrd. While he will be responsible primarily for recruiting cornerbacks, but he’s also a huge part of the push to re-establish the brand in Dallas. The full sample size won’t be available until we are in a full cycle (without a pandemic), but the early returns look like Herman may have solved the issue this D-FW coach brought to his attention.

—Moving forward, Texas will try to close commitments from Camar Wheaton, Ikechukwu Iwunnah, Jonathan Jones and Shemar Turner. If Texas can land those prospects, it will be fair to say that their problems recruiting the region could be minimizing by the day.

6 hours ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Can Texas use today's momentum to win Dallas

Chock. Full.

Mind. Blowing.

Loa. Ded.

Or. Not.

Hide contents

Mike at Night: Can Texas use today's momentum to win Dallas

MikeRoach

—Following the 2020 cycle, a south Dallas coach reached out to Tom Herman and told him that he needed to change the way he recruited their area if they wanted to land more kids from the talent-rich region. Sure the Longhorns signed five prospects from the D-FW area in 2020, but only one (Ja’Quinden Jackson) was from the loaded I-20 corridor. This coach told Herman that Texas didn’t have a legitimate recruiter in the area and he didn’t feel they were serious about their programs. Herman told him things would change moving forward.

—One of the biggest changes was in hiring new cornerbacks coach Jay Valai. A Euless native, Valai spent time training many kids in the area and had relationships with many coaches in the area. From the time Valai arrived, he attacked Dallas in an effort to re-gain ground. The Longhorns are recruiting better in the D-FW area in 2021, and today they got their first south Dallas prospect in Ishmael Ibraheem. So far, the Longhorns have six of their thirteen commits from the north Texas area, and they don’t intend to be done.

—Valai has been involved in the major D-FW recruitments including JoJo Earle, Shemar Turner and most recently, Savion Byrd. While he will be responsible primarily for recruiting cornerbacks, but he’s also a huge part of the push to re-establish the brand in Dallas. The full sample size won’t be available until we are in a full cycle (without a pandemic), but the early returns look like Herman may have solved the issue this D-FW coach brought to his attention.

—Moving forward, Texas will try to close commitments from Camar Wheaton, Ikechukwu Iwunnah, Jonathan Jones and Shemar Turner. If Texas can land those prospects, it will be fair to say that their problems recruiting the region could be minimizing by the day.

I mean, the coach telling Herman that South Dallas was laughing at his pathetic staff is actually news to me. Which makes this update about the 200% more valuable than the usual Roach report. 

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

People that maligned Red as a racist were stupid fucks.  He thought Charlie Strong was a light weight.  And he was right.  He was also upset he was not at least consulted or informed of the hire in advance by that dickbag Patterson or Bill Powers, who was a trainwreck for our two marquee athletic programs.  But Red was hiring black coaches for his teams 30 years ago.  Ask John Lucas, Dennis Green or Randy Moss about Red McComb's character.

You can be old, white and rich and not be a fucking racist.  

It sickened me to see so many of our fans buy into the narrative that Red McCombs was a racist because of his comments on Strong.  He deserves better than that based on his history and based on what he has done for the school.

Well a rich white guy grouchily stated publically a black guy who had just won a NY6 bowl was more like coordinator material. 

Even though he turned out to be right, there's a certain element of picking your time to speak that he missed.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well a rich white guy grouchily stated publically a black guy who had just won a NY6 bowl was more like coordinator material. 

Even though he turned out to be right, there's a certain element of picking your time to speak that he missed.

You just don't go out and beat a Will Muschamp-coached team.  He definitely should have remained silent.  He was pissed.  Wasn't because of race.

What better time is there to comment on a coaching hire than during the immediate aftermath of the hire?
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think the biggest problem with what he said was “maybe a coordinator” about a guy who had been a top tier DC for 10 years at P5 schools. When an old, rich white guy discredits the accomplishments of a black man in an under-represented profession to that extent, then those accusations will almost always follow, fair or not. 

Yeah, this is it.

“I think the whole thing is a bit sideways. I don’t have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.”

Charlie:

1983–1984    Florida (GA)
1985    Texas A&M (GA)
1986–1987    Southern Illinois (WR)
1988–1989    Florida (OLB)
1990    Ole Miss (WR)
1991–1993    Florida (DE)
1994    Florida (AHC/DT)
1995–1998    Notre Dame (DL)
1999–2002    South Carolina (DC)
2003–2004    Florida (DC/DE)
2004    Florida (interim HC)
2005–2007    Florida (AHC/co-DC/LB)
2008–2009    Florida (DC/LB)
2010–2013    Louisville

“I know Tom by reputation, and spoke to him this morning. This guy is the real deal,” McCombs said. “If you list his 10 greatest qualities, coaching might be No. 7 or 8. His greatest is recognizing talent. The second one is recognizing the enemy and what it takes to beat him. There are some guys out there we know are winners because we’ve played them and gotten our ass beat the last two years.”

Tom:

1998    Texas Lutheran (WR)
1999–2000    Texas (GA)
2001–2004    Sam Houston State (WR/ST)
2005–2006    Texas State (OC/QB)
2007–2008    Rice (OC/QB)
2009–2011    Iowa State (OC/QB)
2012–2014    Ohio State (OC/QB)
2015–2016    Houston

Red isn't racist, but the comments could be easily construed as such, even in retrospect, and he probably deserved the blowback for saying something so obviously stupid. Again, Red is demonstrably not racist. 

• Like 3

So as I stated yesterday, there are ways to donate to the University and help with the causes set-forth by the players. There are two specific sets of programs. One is to get minority kids to football games. This program is called the Neighborhood Longhorns Program. It runs totally on donations with a budget of around $300K. Due to COVID, donations are low this year. The second set of programs put college access counselors in high need schools. These programs are called UT Outreach and ADVISE Texas.

Donations should be sent to:

The Longhorn Center for School Partnerships, Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, UT-Austin, 505 E Huntland, Ste, 270, Austin, TX 78752

PM me if you need a PDF of the programs.

15 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yeah, this is it.

Charlie:

1983–1984    Florida (GA)
1985    Texas A&M (GA)
1986–1987    Southern Illinois (WR)
1988–1989    Florida (OLB)
1990    Ole Miss (WR)
1991–1993    Florida (DE)
1994    Florida (AHC/DT)
1995–1998    Notre Dame (DL)
1999–2002    South Carolina (DC)
2003–2004    Florida (DC/DE)
2004    Florida (interim HC)
2005–2007    Florida (AHC/co-DC/LB)
2008–2009    Florida (DC/LB)
2010–2013    Louisville

Tom:

1998    Texas Lutheran (WR)
1999–2000    Texas (GA)
2001–2004    Sam Houston State (WR/ST)
2005–2006    Texas State (OC/QB)
2007–2008    Rice (OC/QB)
2009–2011    Iowa State (OC/QB)
2012–2014    Ohio State (OC/QB)
2015–2016    Houston

Red isn't racist, but the comments could be easily construed as such, even in retrospect, and he probably deserved the blowback for saying something so obviously stupid. Again, Red is demonstrably not racist. 

I don't disagree with a word you typed.