2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

50 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Valdez and Maton are both extension candidates.  Could be why they haven’t settled yet.

Doubtful. Maton  is on arb2 but he’s hardly worth locking up. Framber,  as a super 2 player, has 4 years of arbitration remaining. They’re aren’t giving all of that away at this point. 

He's already 29, and while he was awesome in the playoffs, he also has been the complete opposite for his entire career. You have him under control for 29 and 30. There is no need to give away future dollars on Phil Maton.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Why extend him? He is under control for 2 more years, and has never consistently been as good as he was in the playoffs in his entire career. Maybe he finally figured something out but there is absolutely no reason to give him an extension before he's a FA, at which time he will be 30 and the Astros will likely have found the next Maton with 2+ years of team control.

• Hook 'Em 1

Because I saw him throw pitches in the playoffs that defied the laws of physics.  If he can master that pitch, he's worth keeping.  I've never seen a ball break like that and there's most assuredly not a line of dudes who can do that.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Sleepygrad said:

Bregman completely disappearing in the playoffs was a total head scratcher....he really needs to get back to form now that Carlos is gone

Had surgery right after the season. Hope that’s it. Been pretty meh since almost winning the MVP. Not fair on Meh, more like not a super star. 

26 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think they need another bat, but it feels like they’ll get cute and roll with Chas/Siri until Meyers gets healthy (?). 

I am not sure rolling with Siri is “getting cute”. Dude broke out in a major way last season and has always been a tooled up prospect.  If he plays anywhere near the level he was at last year he’s a star player.  Yes he strikes out a lot but with his speed, defense, and power, he can k 30% of the time and still be very very good.  And while I’m less bullish on McCormick’s ceiling, he posted very good numbers last year in line with a solid everyday player.

I think signing a proven corner bat and forcing Tucker into CF would be “getting cute” more than giving Siri a chance to prove his 2021 wasn’t a fluke.  That said, I wouldn’t be opposed to them adding a corner bat if it’s the right one at the right price.

There just weren’t many good CF options available this offseason.

Edited by Snake Diggity