2021-22 MLB Offseason Thread

Beau Vine

10 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

So the runner in second in extras isn’t completely dead yet.  I’m on record here saying that I don’t hate it.  I can understand why the players want it. They don’t get paid by the inning. 

Fuck that. They don’t get paid by the at bat or game either. They get paid to play as much baseball as needed. If this was Manfred’s or the owners’ suggestion, you and everyone else would be teeing off on them. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

Normal baseball rules until the completion of the 12th inning (full extra 1/3 of a regular game). If it’s still tied then some home run derby off to decide it. Hate on it all you want, people would tune in. Last I checked having your 3rd baseman on the mound throwing meatballs in the 17th inning isn’t normal baseball either.

I don’t even like soccer & I can appreciate the intensity of penalty kicks at the end of a game. 

Had to check that out for myself. 

Cincinnati Reds' 2022 payroll:

1. Joey Votto - $25.0 mil/yr
2. Mike Moustakas - $16.0 mil/yr
3. Shogo Akiyama - $8.0 mil/yr
4. Luis Castillo - $7.5 mil/yr
5. Tyler Mahle - $5.5 mil/yr
6. Ken Griffey, Jr - $3.59 mil/yr

Yep, Ken Griffey, Jr, who hasn't played since 2010, is #6 on the Reds payroll for this season.

Edited by Burt

I’d like to hear some Surlyites’ experimental rule change proposals. No doubt we can match the idiocy of these

During the 2021 season, the Atlantic League tried out the double-hook DH adjustment, which stipulated that teams would only get a DH as long as the starting pitcher was in the game. If the starter got shelled and lasted just an inning, the DH would have to be removed from the lineup as well.

Now, the league is introducing a tweak that rewards starting pitcher longevity. If a team’s starter lasts a full five innings, a team will be allowed to keep its DH for the rest of the game.

The second rule returns the dropped-pitch rule from 2019, which essentially allowed hitters to “steal” first base. The premise is that a hitter is allowed to break for first base on any pitch not caught in the air, no matter the count.

The second rule returns the dropped-pitch rule from 2019, which essentially allowed hitters to “steal” first base. The premise is that a hitter is allowed to break for first base on any pitch not caught in the air, no matter the count.

WUUUUUTTT????? 

It sounds stupid. But I mean why can you break for first on a dropped third strike but not any other dropped pitch? 
I mean, why does the pitcher have to pitch from the mound? Why doesn't the home team get a randomly selected fan as a 4th outfielder? How bout if you strike out bunting you are ejected and have to play man down soccer rules?
d03e894f0f35135661d2e4481da055cf.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It sounds stupid. But I mean why can you break for first on a dropped third strike but not any other dropped pitch? 

Because catching the pitch is the putout. If the catcher doesn't catch the pitch and the batter has swung, the putout has not been made. The catcher can't complete the putout with less than two strikes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

My wife asked me about this about 10 years ago, and I couldn't come up with a rational explanation for the genesis of the rule then or now.  I'd like to see it tried.  

2 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Because catching the pitch is the putout. If the catcher doesn't catch the pitch and the batter has swung, the putout has not been made. The catcher can't complete the putout with less than two strikes. 

So why not treat a dropped third strike like a foul ball instead of rewarding the batter with a chance to reach base safely after he does something shitty?

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So why not treat a dropped third strike like a foul ball instead of rewarding the batter with a chance to reach base safely after he does something shitty?

Because he did something shitty (swung and missed with two strikes) and the defense has earned the opportunity to put him out. The only way the batter earns the right to have another chance with two strikes on him is if he foul tips to the catcher and the catcher doesn't control the ball. 

Edited by ConferenceRoom
Changed right to opportunity.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have to say allowing a fan to play fourth OF is the greatest idea I’ve ever heard of. No makes between 14-40 allowed. Anyone else is good to go as long as it’s a random draw from amongst season ticket holders. I can’t even tell you how absurdly excited I would be to see this happen. 
make it so commish, make it so. 

• Hook 'Em 1