Texas vs. West Virginia Game Thread -11am on ESPN2 - Colonoscopies and colonics would get you more excited

Pancho

21 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Hard to accurately assess a team before seeing what they're actually capable of. Edge is something they went after hard and still came up short. Davis/Thornton/Ovie weren't good enough to play for playoff level teams, but they hoped they would be better than they've been. We also lost Jacoby Jones from that group.

Sark's still got a good reputation in the coaching world, and he'll have PT all over to sell to transfers. They really just gotta work some roster magic to make the numbers work.

A major part of his job is scouting opponents, identifying weaknesses and exploiting them. Sark is actually really good at that, as evidence by his hot starts, but he did a shit job assessing the team he was about to take over. 

Some of it is egregious. Our OL has been shit for more than a decade. It's kind of hard to miss. 

Sark has an excellent reputation as an offensive mind. He is one of the best. He has a mediocre reputation as a HC with one rebuild and one major flame out. 

He had PT to sell to transfers last year and a much hotter hand. 

All that is in the past though, he now has to sell having a team quit on him and lose 6 (likely 7 straight) instead of coming off a NC and Heisman with 2 finalists.

It's blatantly obvious this is a much tougher sell now. I hope he's successful. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

The same people who wanted Mack gone are the same people shitting on Sark. This ain’t an easy fix. 

For fuck's sake...Mack quit years before he was fired, he just didn't bother to turn over the title or keys for the office. If he'd had the decency and grace to bow out when he was mentally done like Stoops did, we'd be a totally different program. Mack started much of the rot and let it fester for years. 

He kind of gave a shit last year and wanted to prove those meanies at Texas wrong, but he's regressed to his not give a fuck again at 6-5 this year. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Hahaha, it’s worked out so well.

No one says it has.

In Mack’s final year, his Oline had over 100 career starts as a unit. In the last two games, with an NFL caliber RB, managed 17 points. 7 of those on a 10 play 17 yard drive. More interception return yards for the opponent than we had passing.

It was going downhill after 2013. He was done.
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Pods said:

A major part of his job is scouting opponents, identifying weaknesses and exploiting them. Sark is actually really good at that, as evidence by his hot starts, but he did a shit job assessing the team he was about to take over. 

Some of it is egregious. Our OL has been shit for more than a decade. It's kind of hard to miss. 

Sark has an excellent reputation as an offensive mind. He is one of the best. He has a mediocre reputation as a HC with one rebuild and one major flame out. 

He had PT to sell to transfers last year and a much hotter hand. 

All that is in the past though, he now has to sell having a team quit on him and lose 6 (likely 7 straight) instead of coming off a NC and Heisman with 2 finalists.

It's blatantly obvious this is a much tougher sell now. I hope he's successful. 

Did he? The position they focused their transfers on (LB, Edge) had clear as day vacancies. K-Rob/Worthy were clear talents who came in due to previous relationships with Sark. Outside of Wanya Morris, who was basically heading for OU once he put his name in the portal, who was a clear upgrade over what we had based on what he knew? In that situation, he could have been taking away a body from a clear need position to get a guy who could be sitting on the bench, possibly upset about a lack of PT. 

He has first-hand info about what he has. It's clear as day this team has holes and PT out there for the taking, and that wasn't clear last year. Players will be reaching out to them just as much as the staff will be reaching out to players. Especially talented QBs who might be stuck behind young, well performing starters. If he can't bring in quality players via the portal or HS, then blow the whole thing up next year and try again.

1 minute ago, JonBonQuiQui said:

Wonder if we stopped recruiting from Westlake for a few years and focus on some real gritty fucking Seguin, TX and Hillock Bend, MS recruits how things would shape up. So fucking tired of these whiny bums from the suburbs.

FortunateWebbedGraywolf-size_restricted.gif

Which Westlake players have we been landing? Other than Ehlinger who was clearly the problem 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah but you can't tell me that all of those coaches -- except Mack, at first -- just happened to get much worse when you hand them the keys to what should be a Cadillac of a program. 

Yes Bridgewater and Ward were excellent QBs who papered over the flaws of their coaches but neither of them was VY, Cam or Joe Burrow. 

There is systemic rot at the heart of our football program. Idk why people want to defend the boosters but some do. Are you yourself a meddlesome booster? Anyway, it's beyond a run of bad luck or coincidence at this point. Why does blowU succeed and we fail, year after year?

You have to look at the constants in the background because the foreground keeps shifting. 

There's my booster theory. Sometimes I give in to the "It's Austin" line of thinking -- that kids come here and are ruined by the tail and the partying, whether they succumb once they get to Austin, or they are attracted to Austin because that's what they want to do. Lord knows I've seen it happen with many a promising young musician from places like Dallas and Houston or small towns. As the son of a very famous Texas music legend once told me years ago "Yeah, they come here ready to set the world on fire, then they get a hot girlfriend, a pot dealer, a job at Thundercloud Subs and that's the last you ever hear of them."

Those boosters have sure forced a lot of shit decisions on and off the field this season. Damn those boosters!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JonBonQuiQui said:

Wonder if we stopped recruiting from Westlake for a few years and focus on some real gritty fucking Seguin, TX and Hillock Bend, MS recruits how things would shape up. So fucking tired of these whiny bums from the suburbs.

Why do blue chippers from the state of Texas do well at tOSU, Bama, etc., but not in Austin? 

My personal opinion is that the quality of HS football in Texas is just fine. I think the issue is culture and coaching in Austin, not the incoming talent. 

9 minutes ago, JonBonQuiQui said:

Never recruit any player whose mom is a Karen.

10 minutes ago, nnm said:

Why do blue chippers from the state of Texas do well at tOSU, Bama, etc., but not in Austin? 

My personal opinion is that the quality of HS football in Texas is just fine. I think the issue is culture and coaching in Austin, not the incoming talent. 

Because the real blue chippers go there we get the left over trash 

12 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Need to hit up those under-recruited 2A/3A pipe hitters that never leave the field during the games. Also, need to raid Wisconsin for some beef on the lines too.

Do Wisconsin women playing OL count towards our Title IX numbers?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JonBonQuiQui said:

This guy will probably be able to contribute immediately because he's a "maxed out" suburb kid instead of a raw project that we project will be great with proper development then completely fail to develop. 

39 minutes ago, JonBonQuiQui said:

Sark would give his left nut to have Cade Klubnik starting for this team right now.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Right. The only thing better than having Texas in your conference, is beating Texas in your conference. The SEC is going to love having other SEC teams kick our ass on the field while at the same time using our "brand" to sell games. 

This is why the Dallas Cowboys are the world’s richest sports franchise when they haven’t won a divisional playoff in over 25 years.

But hey, since all that UT revenue gets distributed to the fans, it’s all good.

Edited by Newbomb_Turk

1 hour ago, Pods said:

For fuck's sake...Mack quit years before he was fired, he just didn't bother to turn over the title or keys for the office. If he'd had the decency and grace to bow out when he was mentally done like Stoops did, we'd be a totally different program. Mack started much of the rot and let it fester for years. 

He kind of gave a shit last year and wanted to prove those meanies at Texas wrong, but he's regressed to his not give a fuck again at 6-5 this year. 

Hahaha, sure, canning him has worked out in so many ways.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

Yes, because starting from 0 was smart for both parties. My God you people are retarded.

If you thought 2010-2013 Mack was some sort of prize, or that he would eventually win something of importance again, you’re worse than that.

Mack was a dead end road. He had quit working and was a hindrance to the program. Losing sucks, but I at least know the terrible coaches we’ve brought in have been working hard. Mack was sitting in his office, getting fat and cashing checks, making it all about himself. He’s to blame for all of this. Him and the people who made excuses for him while he refused to leave. 

Wait. Sally?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

If you thought 2010-2013 Mack was some sort of prize, or that he would eventually win something of importance again, you’re worse than that.

Mack was a dead end road. He had quit working and was a hindrance to the program. Losing sucks, but I at least know the terrible coaches we’ve brought in have been working hard. Mack was sitting in his office, getting fat and cashing checks, making it all about himself. He’s to blame for all of this. Him and the people who made excuses for him while he refused to leave. 

Wait. Sally?

You don’t know any of that. It’s what you think. It’s some funny shit. This program is where it is because the multitude of dumbasses like yourself. 

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 9

Tex Pete, a happy loser as long as he thinks bad coaches are working. Nevrmind, he doesn’t know, he just thinks they’re working.

Incredible, this is a loser program but not because of what you think. It’s people like you pards. Dumbasses who can’t see the work it takes to build a program and what’s lost when you torpedo the whole thing. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 10

5 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

You don’t know any of that. It’s what you think. It’s some funny shit. This program is where it is because the multitude of dumbasses like yourself. 

Sally, you’re clueless. I’m not at all happy with the state of the program. I also wasn’t happy when Mack was picking lint out of his navel and taking naps while his assistants were begging him to watch recruits’ film. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Sally, you’re clueless. I’m not at all happy with the state of the program. I also wasn’t happy when Mack was picking lint out of his navel and taking naps while his assistants were begging him to watch recruits’ film. 

Sally?

Last resort of a moron. You and people like you have gotten all you want. Mack is gone. He was the problem, all is well, right Pete? Well done dipshit.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 7