• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

4 hours ago, maninblack said:

Fucking SEC scheduling. Win two games in conference and qualify for a bowl. Only way to put a stop to it is if the other conferences do something.

So are we liberal hippy fags or racist homophobic commies?  I wish they would make up their mind...

So, Huntsville has had a pretty cool 50's style burger joint called "Mr. Hamburger" since forever. They just opened in College Station recently, and I finally checked it out. There's old Eagle articles as wall art, and I was stunned to see the Earl Rudder testimony calling aggy the "poor boys' school" was front and center. I was under the impression that they disavowed any knowledge of that quote.

Weird stuff. Anyway, it made a nice juxtaposition to all the stuff from Huntsville referencing Old Sparky, etc.

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

So, Huntsville has had a pretty cool 50's style burger joint called "Mr. Hamburger" since forever. They just opened in College Station recently, and I finally checked it out. There's old Eagle articles as wall art, and I was stunned to see the Earl Rudder testimony calling aggy the "poor boys' school" was front and center. I was under the impression that they disavowed any knowledge of that quote.

Weird stuff. Anyway, it made a nice juxtaposition to all the stuff from Huntsville referencing Old Sparky, etc.

Educate me on yhus quote, please

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Educate me on yhus quote, please

Rudder et al. referred to themselves as the egalitarian alternative to the elitists at "the school in the state capital"; he actually said during committee hearings at the state legislature that Texas A&M is "the poor boys' school, where anyone can afford to get a good college education." Perry's attempts to turn it into a diploma mill were highly influenced by that history, actually, but there was a lot of pushback from those who wanted to think of their school as being high quality, not as blue collar. First time I ever heard of that quote, actually, was back in the late 70s when my brother went to aggy for a meteorology degree (they were one of only three schools south of the Mason Dixon line who offered it at the time, is the only reason he went), and the consensus "other 98" view was that he had never actually said it. The clip from the Bryan Eagle says otherwise.

• Like 3

Seems like the kind of quote they used to embrace as part of their "normality"  along the same lines as their use of "steers and queers" and "tea-sippers". We're good 'ole boys and you guys in Austin are weird snobs. 

But I can also see that now that the party line is "Flagship Tier World Class University" etc etc they would no longer want to embrace the "poor man blue collar" image and try and convince themselves they are of a higher social status than they used to be, so that quote is no longer welcome.

So you end up with the relatively new cognitive dissonance that has come to rest alongside the historical inferiority complex. "We're Tier One gold 'ole boys who are perfectly normal champions.... why can't other people see how awesome and simultaneously average we are?"

Aggy psychoanalysis. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Rudder et al. referred to themselves as the egalitarian alternative to the elitists at "the school in the state capital"; he actually said during committee hearings at the state legislature that Texas A&M is "the poor boys' school, where anyone can afford to get a good college education." Perry's attempts to turn it into a diploma mill were highly influenced by that history, actually, but there was a lot of pushback from those who wanted to think of their school as being high quality, not as blue collar. First time I ever heard of that quote, actually, was back in the late 70s when my brother went to aggy for a meteorology degree (they were one of only three schools south of the Mason Dixon line who offered it at the time, is the only reason he went), and the consensus "other 98" view was that he had never actually said it. The clip from the Bryan Eagle says otherwise.

Thanks for taking the time to educate me. I guess the current embracement of a disdain for education and intellectualism on a national, populist level helps that quote become vogue again. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks for taking the time to educate me. I guess the current embracement of a disdain for education and intellectualism on a national, populist level helps that quote become vogue again. 

Also tells me it's time for the Walden family to 23 skidoo before retro-aggy overwhelms the few tolerable cultural qualities this town has. It's kinda funny, actually. Even their attempts to modernize are generic. They've never had a downtown in College Station, but now they have the shops and restaurants around "The George", with a central green, and it's actually a pretty nice area, all things considered (certainly not on the level of an actual "nice downtown" but hell and gone better than anything they've had before)... but virtually everything there is a chain of some sort. Nice chains, but still... chains.

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Seems like the kind of quote they used to embrace as part of their "normality"  along the same lines as their use of "steers and queers" and "tea-sippers". We're good 'ole boys and you guys in Austin are weird snobs. 

But I can also see that now that the party line is "Flagship Tier World Class University" etc etc they would no longer want to embrace the "poor man blue collar" image and try and convince themselves they are of a higher social status than they used to be, so that quote is no longer welcome.

So you end up with the relatively new cognitive dissonance that has come to rest alongside the historical inferiority complex. "We're Tier One gold 'ole boys who are perfectly normal champions.... why can't other people see how awesome and simultaneously average we are?"

Aggy psychoanalysis. 

Steers and queers, huh. Obviously Longhorns are the steers so, ...

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

From left to right

Arkansas, Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky, LSU, Mizzou, Ole Miss, aggy OR Mississippi State, Vandy, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama

More than likely this is from before expansion so the one you identified as Mizzou is Vanderbilt and aggy and mizzou are not shown.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Lots of sunshine pumping here.

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3015036

They will struggle to do better than 4-4 in SEC play. In spite of all their hero worship over the past 20 years, they have never had consecutive seasons above .500 in conference play. Next year will be no different. 

3 hours ago, sushihorn said:

I see they're ova their post-partum bowl depression.

Gotta love how they finally beat LSU at home in a 7 ot game translates to a sure win @LSU next year. They have beaten LSU exactly as many times as they have beaten Alabama but it is a sure win in all their minds...

They so desperately want to be great but instead of changing their approach or their whole culture, they continue to thump their chest about how great they are (at being mediocre) and stay the corse of spending above their means, believing they can money whip thier short comings into titles...

Obvuously you can get away with a shit ton of "underhanded" dealings in the SEC, but aggy being who they are, will aggy up anything.  How long before they become the second program to get nailed with the death penalty?

As long as they brought home a NC, ut would be worth it to have their fans...  but being aggy, I doubt they could bring home a title even buying a few top recruiting classes.  They are their worse enemy, 

15 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

Gotta love how they finally beat LSU at home in a 7 ot game translates to a sure win @LSU next year. They have beaten LSU exactly as many times as they have beaten Alabama but it is a sure win in all their minds...

was there an Aggie alive who thought they'd lose to Bama in 2013? regular as clockwork, as Hans Gruber would say

Make no mistake about it, the aggy are powerhouses in the SEC (in their own minds). They can hang their hats on that LSU win in 2018, but everyone knows the refs botched the fuck out of that game.  The gomers are 1-6 vs Bama and 1-6 vs LSU in the SEC somehow they've conveniently managed to dodge UGA completely and have only played UF twice. 

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/conference.pl?start=2012&end=2018&team=TexasAM

3 hours ago, Chad said:

Make no mistake about it, the aggy are powerhouses in the SEC (in their own minds). They can hang their hats on that LSU win in 2018, but everyone knows the refs botched the fuck out of that game.  The gomers are 1-6 vs Bama and 1-6 vs LSU in the SEC somehow they've conveniently managed to dodge UGA completely and have only played UF twice. 

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/conference.pl?start=2012&end=2018&team=TexasAM

They've also enjoyed Tennessee and especially Arkansas at serious dips in their programs, and had (in my opinion) better than expected luck against Auburn, which should beat A&M 7 of 10.

On 1/13/2019 at 8:35 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

Someone who lives there needs to go take a picture of the quote... maybe over the entire article and the specific quote then go post it on a mix of boards so that the quote is out there and can no longer be disputed.  Just sayin'...