• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

@Randolph Duke

You might find this guy's thread interesting, he talks about the Rudder stuff, and integration, etc.  Check his whole thread out, he talks about being on the receiving end of The Battalion journalists, etc.

With the exception of Rudder and Houston, A&M has always had bad leaders. The Rudder Association wants to perpetuate that problem. Having a spineless twit as the public figurehead of the university while major decisions are made in back rooms by people who insist in remaining nameless and whose conversations are off limits to the public is simply bad governance. It should not be allowed, but Texas is Texas.

Texas A&M primarily exists to perpetuate a certain culture. It is not about leadership. It is not primarily about education. The mentality of those in the Rudder Association who insist "them is gonna out-breed us and take away our culture" is the exact type of thinking that has held Texas A&M back from being a great institution since the days of Jefferson Davis. It is also the exact type of thinking The Rudder Association exists to perpetuate.

If the members of The Rudder Association want to come out of the shadows and have an honest conversation about the direction of the university, great. Allow all voices to be heard.

But they want power without accountability, influence without disclosure and, quite frankly, to promote beliefs that are rooted in long discredited Sul Ross-era Jim Crow foundations.

That being said, if anyone in The Rudder Association wants to take me up on my "$1,000,000 Texas A&M Traditions Challenge" and tell us which game in 1907 their "yell leader" tradition originated, I will send The Rudder Association a $1 million check to fund their activities. But at Texas A&M, the groups that insist they are rooted in "school traditions" are clueless. That alone should tell people these smoothbores aren't concerned about the school, its traditions, or the best interests of the students.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/3277836/replies/61673428

We are the ones being hurt the most from the blowback of the t.u. and OU SEC conference expansion. Now nobody in NCAA leadership positions want football playoff expansion nor too many SEC teams in the basketball tournament.

The SIPS!!!!....ALWAYS THE SIPS!!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

"Agreed. Why is losing 8 in a row relevant? 8 losses are 8 losses. Such a cop out by the committee." https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/3277843/replies/61673449

"Think this is intentional to hold down our recruiting." https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/3277843/replies/61672657

"Surprised nobody has thought about having Barnes play scrubs where we would for sure win, and get seven teams in the dance. Tennessee didn't gain anything by beating us really. Title of tourney winner is it. Think Sankey could have handled that."  https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/3277936/replies/61675029

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

aggy's view of things:

"Finally, I know the committee and the media are dominated by liberal arts majors who probably haven't had a math course since middle school, but still, even a tiny functioning knowledge of math would seem to still be lurking. Yet, not one person - anywhere - seems to understand the concept of a denominator. They talk about the strength this year of the SEC, but 6/14 (43%) isn't that great compared to the Big 12 (6/10, 60%) or the Big 10 (9/14, 64%)." https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/3278026/replies/61676727

The outside world's view of aggy:

"a cultural bias that impedes risk identification" https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/tr-133.pdf

Edited by Randolph Duke

6 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Aggy, it's not just that no one likes you...its also that no one respects you

why-not-both-why-not.gif

5 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

"Surprised nobody has thought about having Barnes play scrubs where we would for sure win, and get seven teams in the dance. Tennessee didn't gain anything by beating us really. Title of tourney winner is it. Think Sankey could have handled that."  https://texags.com/forums/7/topics/3277936/replies/61675029

They really can be too stupid for words.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:
I like this one from an Aggy scholar:

cupofjoe04

AG

We are out. They don't give a crap how we feel or what we say. There is nothing we can do to force a response from the NCAA, and they would be idiots to give us any sort of a response. It's a loose-loose for everyone.

That guy is the most rational of anyone on that thread. I mean, he's clearly an imbecile, but it's still kind of stunning.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Scholz said:

Of course liberal arts majors and knowledge are bad.

I keep hearing/reading President Hartzell talking about how UT is taking advantage of this really unique time in history where Austin is this exciting hub of technology, growth, vision, the brand, etc.  And I have to stop sometimes and wonder, "Are we just saying that because we're dedicated Longhorns?  Is that really the objective case or just wishful thinking...why didn't we do it the last 25 years then?"  As with most things, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.  

And then I look at A&M.  The State of Texas, and even the whole United States, has never embraced ignorance and stupidity more than we have in the last few years.  It's cool, finally, to dismiss critical thinking, knowledge, questions, and the pursuit of truth.  Society has finally aligned with Aggie principles and ideals, and they're failing to capitalize on it.  Everything they embrace is finally broadcast, writ large, on our state and nation.  They should be fucking crushing it.  They should be the Harvard of the intellectually mediocre.  Their brand should have grown ten-fold.  This is the time to be ignorant, to belittle thinking, and to embrace alternative intellectualism.  This is their moment.  How are the fucking this up so bad?  Oh yeah, they're Aggies. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I keep hearing/reading President Hartzell talking about how UT is taking advantage of this really unique time in history where Austin is this exciting hub of technology, growth, vision, the brand, etc.  And I have to stop sometimes and wonder, "Are we just saying that because we're dedicated Longhorns?  Is that really the objective case or just wishful thinking...why didn't we do it the last 25 years then?"  As with most things, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.  

And then I look at A&M.  The State of Texas, and even the whole United States, has never embraced ignorance and stupidity more than we have in the last few years.  It's cool, finally, to dismiss critical thinking, knowledge, questions, and the pursuit of truth.  Society has finally aligned with Aggie principles and ideals, and they're failing to capitalize on it.  Everything they embrace is finally broadcast, writ large, on our state and nation.  They should be fucking crushing it.  They should be the Harvard of the intellectually mediocre.  Their brand should have grown ten-fold.  This is the time to be ignorant, to belittle thinking, and to embrace alternative intellectualism.  This is their moment.  How are the fucking this up so bad?  Oh yeah, they're Aggies. 

The University of Texas and Texas A&M operate on two different instructional models.

UT focuses on "meaningful learning."

A&M employs "rote learning."

"Meaningful learning refers to the concept that the learned knowledge (lets say a fact) is fully understood by the individual and that the individual knows how that specific fact relates to other stored facts (stored in your brain that is)." "Rote learning is where you memorize something without full understanding and you don't know how the new information relates to your other stored knowledge." https://web.ics.purdue.edu/~rallrich/learn/mean.html

The difference in the two instructional models is immense.

Quick example - every aggy loves him his Bible and, because he was taught so, he knows every word in the Bible is exactly what God himself wrote down with his #2 pencil "back then."

A UT grad would be taught the accepted meanings of words change over time and that any modern interpretation would need to be considered with respect to various biases of those who translated the texts from different its original languages and how the meaning of various words have changed over time.

A quicker example - an aggy looks at a grocery store bar code and "knows" the reader reads the black lines. A UT grad looks at the same thing and realizes the reader reads the white lines.

Edited by Randolph Duke