California Getting a Jump on Black Friday Shopping

Harrison Bergeron

Buncha white Texans debating how Target stores are effecting the lives of people of color?  Well this site just jumped the fucking shark.  

If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna brave the dystopian Austin hellscape and find some other way to obtain brushed nickel picture frames in which to place my photos from crushing powder in Breck, bro.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, aggie08 said:

So what the fuck are you talking about?

Enforcement of laws for property crimes, theft, burglary, assault,… everything the business owners of Oakland are talking about in the above news story.  You don’t have to tale my word for it.

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

You’re getting dog-walked, again

You’re doing good, Junior. Real proud of ya.

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Enforcement of laws for property crimes, theft, burglary, assault,… everything the business owners of Oakland are talking about in the above news story.  You don’t have to tale my word for it.

Wait. You're of the opinion that they don't pursue legal actions if the perpetrators for said crimes are able to be apprehended?

Just when I think you can't get any stupider...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You're of the opinion that they don't pursue legal actions if the perpetrators for said crimes are able to be apprehended?

Lol.  Yup it’s all a figment of the business owner’s imagination.  That privileged evil business owner Raj Goatme needs to stand down and embrace the awesomeness of California.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/sanfrancisco/news/over-200-businesses-close-up-shop-for-strike-over-rampant-oakland-crime/

Just across the street, chaos has become business as usual for Raj Gotame, the owner of Annapurna Restaurant.  He showed video of his business being broken into on Sunday.

"The door was broken. The glass was broken. The cash register was stolen. They have taken everything," said Gotame.

It wasn't the first time. Six months ago, his doors and windows were shattered three times in one week. He said when he calls police, it takes hours for them to show up.  

Broken doors?  Broken glass?  Stollen items?  Shattered exterior features?  Police late to respond?  All taking place between lawless thugs and buildings they don't belong in?  

Wow, I didn't realize the Seat of the U.S. Government was a Oakland Bodega.  The Deep State knows no bounds.   

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Lol.  Yup it’s all a figment of the business owner’s imagination.  That privileged evil business owner Raj Goatme needs to stand down and embrace the awesomeness of California.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/sanfrancisco/news/over-200-businesses-close-up-shop-for-strike-over-rampant-oakland-crime/

Just across the street, chaos has become business as usual for Raj Gotame, the owner of Annapurna Restaurant.  He showed video of his business being broken into on Sunday.

"The door was broken. The glass was broken. The cash register was stolen. They have taken everything," said Gotame.

It wasn't the first time. Six months ago, his doors and windows were shattered three times in one week. He said when he calls police, it takes hours for them to show up.  

Sooooo they caught the person responsible, gave them a firm talking to, and then let them go at the behest of the city government, no charges filed? That's what you're going with?

Or are you saying that police are notoriously slow to respond to certain neighborhoods, and it's obviously impossible to charge people that you don't catch? Because we may be in agreement there, you flaming liberal.

Fucking moron.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Enforce the laws on the books without prejudice.

It’s really not that complicated we’ve done it before.

What are the existing laws?  I don't even know.  Did the existing laws get us to where we are now? Should we change our laws to reflect the desires of the majority of Americans?

39 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Sooooo they caught the person responsible

Nope

40 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

it's obviously impossible to charge people that you don't catch?

Compounded by not charging those that they do catch

40 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Fucking moron

Sure sign of a dizzying intellect 

5 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Statements of the Alameda County DA

Sorry, man, I don't speak Fox News fluently. I have to rely on Google. This one?

“Every community has the experience of people making mistakes,” she said. “If it’s your child, do you want me to throw your child away because your child made a mistake… Forever?”

That you've somehow made the leap to not enforcing existing laws, or even filing charges, for that matter?

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Sorry, man, I don't speak Fox News fluently. I have to rely on Google. This one?

That you've somehow made the leap to not enforcing existing laws, or even filing charges, for that matter?

Yup, the minority business owners of Oakland are all making this up at the behest of Beelzebub Murdoch.

• 2 weeks later...

Target Is Blaming Theft for Store Closures, But Landlords Say Otherwise

• Retailer wanted to send a message to California, landlord says
  • Chain’s bet on cities would be aided by increased enforcement

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-08/target-tgt-store-closures-over-crime-raise-questions-among-landlords

Spoiler

Target Corp. grabbed national headlines last week when it blamed worsening theft for its plan to shut nine stores in four states, feeding into a narrative on the deteriorating state of America’s cities.

But for some of the landlords who spent years courting the giant retailer, the closings pointed to more considerations at play.

Take Target’s first-ever Manhattan location, in East Harlem. With more than 100,000 square feet of selling space, the location opened more than a decade ago — long before the retailer figured out that to be profitable in big cities, it had to veer from its big-box playbook and build smaller footprints. Now, the store in a six-story shopping center is preparing to shut down.

Instead of abandoning Harlem, Target has already signed a lease to open a store less than half the size only a mile and a half away.
The closing is a “business decision to move to small-format stores,” said David Blumenfeld, a principal at Blumenfeld Development Group, which owns the shopping center that has housed the big Target since 2010. The retailer didn’t raise theft as an issue leading up to the announcement, he said.
Target Shutters Nine West Coast And NYC Stores On Rising Theft
The Target store in Manhattan’s East Harlem neighborhood is one of nine locations scheduled to close Oct. 21. The company said theft had contributed to “unsustainable” performance.Source: Bloomberg
Target disputes the landlord’s characterization but declined to provide any details about why the company decided to close some stores and not others.
“While we do not share the details of our conversations with vendors and suppliers, we can confirm that we have engaged in conversations about safety with the developers of these properties for years,” Target spokesman Jim Joice said.
Target has said theft is one of the factors pressuring its profit. Inventory losses from theft, damage and administrative error reduced the retailer’s gross-margin rate by almost a percentage point in the second quarter from a year earlier.

The retailer in August reported its first quarterly sales decline in four years and cut its annual profit forecast, as the pandemic-era boost in discretionary purchases sputters. Controversy over the retailer’s Pride month assortment earlier this year didn’t help. And with the share price down about 30% this year after a 36% drop in 2022, investors have been pushing for answers on how the company is going to turn around its sagging bottom line.

Chief Executive Officer Brian Cornell has warned about the impact of organized retail crime gangs on multiple earnings calls. Target said it had long discussed the problems at the nine stores with real estate partners. The company will still have a significant presence in the four metro areas where it’s closing stores: New York, San Francisco, Seattle and Portland, Oregon.

Retail Theft

Target Corp. CEO Brian Cornell Interview
Target CEO Brian Cornell is trying to revive growth after the retailer last quarter posted its first decline in sales in four years.Source: Bloomberg
Walmart Inc., Dollar Tree Inc., and Nordstrom Inc. are among the bevy of other retailers that have sounded the alarm on theft. But none have gone as far as citing crime as the explicit reason to close stores.
“There are real challenges with locations in the United States with organized retail crime and theft,” John Furner, the CEO of Walmart’s US operation, said in an interview. He noted that Walmart hasn’t closed any stores for that reason alone.
Shoplifting is also evident to many Target customers and employees. In East Harlem, several employees said they witness shoplifting on a daily basis. Some of the stolen merchandise shows up for sale several blocks away on makeshift card tables on the street, where a $15 bottle of Tide detergent can go for half price. Sometimes the items still have the Target labels on them.

“You see security just give up because at this point it’s like they’re chasing after something that can’t be caught,” said 53-year-old Ericka Blanding, while standing outside of Target on a recent afternoon. “Are you going to put a security guard in every aisle?”
In Seattle, just a couple of blocks from the University of Washington, residents said the area has suffered from vandalism and theft for years. The sliding glass door at the entrance of the location, which opened in 2019, was smashed. Some shelves were empty. And a few shoppers said they preferred going to a nearby Safeway with a better grocery selection.
Reporter photo
A damaged door at a Target store on Sept. 27 in Seattle. The retailer said it’s closing this location and eight others around the country because of crime.Source: Bloomberg
Data on retail theft is hard to come by, and what’s out there is far from definitive. Costco Wholesale Corp., which charges membership fees, says inventory losses have barely budged in recent years. Best Buy Co. railed against theft in late 2021, but the company now says it has mitigated the problem, in part by having employees retrieve products away from the sales floor for purchases.
Target announced the store closings the same day that the National Retail Federation said based on surveys from US chains that total inventory losses from theft, damage and errors edged up to 1.6% of sales last year. That was up from 1.4% in 2021 but in line with the numbers from 2019 and 2020. Target’s CEO is on the federation’s board.

Target is clearly struggling with the impact of theft, but crime is rarely the sole reason a company shutters a store, said Michael Baker, a retail analyst at D.A. Davidson & Co.
“As it relates to the Harlem store in particular, it’s just too big,” he said. The company is “probably not generating the revenue they need. That probably combines to make that store not economically viable.”

California Warning

Whatever the other issues at the stores Target plans to close, the company’s decision to spotlight certain cities by closing stores there helped its crime-focused message get plastered across the US.
“Target wanted to make a statement to California that something needs to be done,” said Doug Messner, president of Sierra Pacific Properties, which oversees the shopping center in Pittsburg, California, that houses one of the soon-to-be closed stores.
Messner said Target was in negotiations to extend the lease at the location about 40 miles east of San Francisco when talks stalled. Then, Messner said, a Target executive called to say the company wanted to send a message to state authorities to do more about organized retail crime. A few weeks before that, California allocated $267 million to thwart such activity.
Like Messner, New York landlord Blumenfeld said he was caught off guard. Target still had 18 years on its lease at East River Plaza. Shortly before the company’s press release, Blumenfeld received a brief phone call from a Target executive who pointed to crime as the reason for shutting the store.

Blumenfeld thought he had time to convince the retailer to stay. He only learned the closing date — Oct. 21 — from news reports.
“We have to figure out what the next steps are,” he said. “Obviously, we’re not letting Target off of our lease.”

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I walked around the galleria in Houston on Friday and I noticed most stores have very little inventory in their spaces.  Also disappointed to see Bennigan’s is gone near the ice skating rink and there’s no arcade.  Sad times. 

The death of Bennigan's was the real point at which this country went into decline. 

• Hook 'Em 4

^ this 

once you’ve finally evacuated a monte christo, potato skins, and 3 tepid Guinness drafts poured incorrectly by “Flirty Flair Felicia”, you’ll never know true peace.  Country has been jammed up ever since 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

^ this 

once you’ve finally evacuated a monte christo, potato skins, and 3 tepid Guinness drafts poured incorrectly by “Flirty Flair Felicia”, you’ll never know true peace.  Country has been jammed up ever since 

The sub prime mortgage crisis really did a number.  

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I walked around the galleria in Houston on Friday and I noticed most stores have very little inventory in their spaces.  Also disappointed to see Bennigan’s is gone near the ice skating rink and there’s no arcade.  Sad times. 

Hmmm Bennigans and the monte fatso

In my early 20's on some random week day after a group us where there and “Flirty Flair Felicia” talked us into doing a round of Irish car bombs, one round turned to 3 and so on, next thing I know we are all out on the ice, falling down left and right. We're fortunate none us broke or tore anything but I did have a bruise on my hip for like a week.

10 minutes ago, Smax said:

Hmmm Bennigans and the monte fatso

In my early 20's on some random week day after a group us where there and “Flirty Flair Felicia” talked us into doing a round of Irish car bombs, one round turned to 3 and so on, next thing I know we are all out on the ice, falling down left and right. We're fortunate none us broke or tore anything but I did have a bruise on my hip for like a week.

If you can get past the stale tobacco and sour beer smell, Flirty Flair Felicia is a tiger in the sack. 

• Drool 1

• 3 weeks later...

But some retail analysts and researchers, bolstered by local crime statistics, say stores may be over-stating the extent and impact of theft. Why? It’s a useful deflection, camouflaging weak demand, mismanagement and other issues denting business right now. And it forces lawmakers to respond.
The analysts noted that overall shrink — merchandise losses due to external and internal theft, damaged products, inventory mismanagement and other errors — makes up just 1.5% to 2% of retailers’ sales. That percentage has remained steady for years, despite retailers sounding the alarm more than ever about theft
One analysis by journalist Judd Legum at Popular Information found that the stores Target is closing in both New York and San Francisco had lower reported theft rates compared to other nearby locations.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/27/business/crime-spree-retailers-are-actually-overstating-the-extent-of-theft-report-says/index.html

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:

But some retail analysts and researchers, bolstered by local crime statistics, say stores may be over-stating the extent and impact of theft. Why? It’s a useful deflection, camouflaging weak demand, mismanagement and other issues denting business right now. And it forces lawmakers to respond.
The analysts noted that overall shrink — merchandise losses due to external and internal theft, damaged products, inventory mismanagement and other errors — makes up just 1.5% to 2% of retailers’ sales. That percentage has remained steady for years, despite retailers sounding the alarm more than ever about theft
One analysis by journalist Judd Legum at Popular Information found that the stores Target is closing in both New York and San Francisco had lower reported theft rates compared to other nearby locations.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/27/business/crime-spree-retailers-are-actually-overstating-the-extent-of-theft-report-says/index.html

Well, no shit.  This shit always cracks me up.  People always wanna live and visit large cities yet Fox always wants to tell you how scary and terrible they are.  Of course the rubes buy it - and in the end that’s all Fox cares about.  I can assure incredulity I can live anywhere in the world but yet I keep ending up in big scary cities.  He’s probably just a lot smarter than me.  Do they have issues?  Sure.  Is it still 10000x better than any R run city?  Yep.  

• Hook 'Em 6