2022 Off-Season Thread: No Kool-Aid, Just Flavor-Aid

BurntOrange&White

DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID...

I know it's almost impossible, almost like being adrift for days with nothing but an ocean of water to see in every direction. But like saltwater, the kool-aid can have nasty, long term effects like we've already have begun to see within our own fan base. In many cases, those effects are irreversible and affect entire groups like it did with the entire population of BCS.  Or maybe those destined to be aggy we're fucking morons from birth.

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

Is this good??? 39295C24-4BC1-4E75-89CE-AFE5294BC1C7.thumb.png.04b38294ae0dcf20485bfd6952354c36.png

If so i really believe Brooks is going to make that transition from Bijan super smooth. . He looked really good is his small amount of reps 

Surprised to not see Neyor or Blue up there. Maybe Neyor wasn’t here yet for these measurements though

13 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Why would you expect Blue to be up there?  The kid didnt even play football this past year.

He ran a 10.7 100m at 200lbs in high school. And if he kept working out, playing football doesn't matter for this.

Neyor more surprising though. 200+ lbs and supposedly 4.4 guy. He's got 20 lbs on Washington so this chart would imply he's significantly slower than Washington (again, if he was even around for this. My guess is he wasn't)

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

stfu ian boyd

If our LBs end up playing like they did last year, I'm game for trying anyone-everyone there.  The waterboy... The tuba player... South Austin's mom... The drunk chic from the bar... Hell, the 12th man...  I don't care. Try everyone until we find people that can stop the run.

6 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

If our LBs end up playing like they did last year, I'm game for trying anyone-everyone there.  The waterboy... The tuba player... South Austin's mom... The drunk chic from the bar... Hell, the 12th man...  I don't care. Try everyone until we find people that can stop the run.

My money is on this guy:

See the source image

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Theo Aquacates said:

He seems to be following the BJ Foster route. Very unfortunate 

I would settle for a defense that could either stop the run or stop the pass. This running out defensive units that can't do either, is fucking old.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tito's Vodka pledges $20 million for new Texas football, basketball practice facilities

R.acc9106248d206d464a8b729b91b3579?rik=o

ByTAYLOR ESTES 101 minutes ago

Texas athletics has landed a new sponsorship deal. Love, Tito’s — the philanthropic arm of Austin-based Tito’s Vodka — has pledged a $20 million gift to assist with the construction of new practice facilities for men’s and women’s basketball, rowing and football. Texas announced the new partnership Monday afternoon.

The $20 million investment will help elevate the practice facilities for the select sports and provide them with “world-class training environments necessary to achieve at the highest level” with the goal allowing Texas athletics to “remain highly competitive in the recruitment of student-athletes, coaches and staff,” UT officials stated in a media release announcing the new partnership.

“What a tremendous show of support and Longhorn pride from Tito Beveridge through the philanthropic generosity of Tito’s,” said Texas vice president and athletics director Chris Del Conte.

“This is such a life-changing commitment and investment in the success of our athletics programs and all of our student-athletes. The resources to construct brand-new, state-of-the-art facilities and the development of so many world-class programs allow us to continue to provide the absolute best for our student-athletes, and truly demonstrates their commitment to excellence at The University of Texas.”

Tito’s Handmade Vodka founder Bert “Tito” Beveridge received degrees in geology and geophysics from Texas. His time spent as a student has led to him wanting to give back to the University of Texas, particularly student-athletes.

“I value this education to this day and am forever grateful to The University for enriching my life experience in so many ways,” Beveridge said of his company’s decision to invest $20 million into Texas athletics.

“Giving back to student-athletes complements the support we provide to science research at UT. We hope this gift helps Longhorns excel both on and off the field throughout their lives, that they find something they love to do that they are good at, and that they share these passions and talents with their communities.”

According to UT officials, Love, Tito’s has made several investments in the University of Texas totaling $7 million to date.

“Tito and his team at Love, Tito’s have been incredible supporters of the university,” said President Jay Hartzell. “Whether they are helping our Population Health faculty improve outcomes for the community, investing in opportunities to serve and protect our community from COVID, or advancing student opportunities across the Forty Acres, they have helped fuel our vision to be the country’s highest impact public university. They understand the special role that athletics play in the fabric of our university, and I’m deeply grateful for this investment that will support our student-athletes in their pursuit of college degrees and championships.”

Texas men’s and women’s basketball and rowing practice facility will be located adjacent to the new Moody Center and is scheduled for completion in summer 2022, according to Texas officials, while details on the new Texas football practice facility were not stated in the press release.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-facility-upgrades-Titos-vodka-20-million-gift-Texas-basketball-football-facilities-181920533/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

DTs do not reach top speed very often. Quickness>>top speed.

It was the fact that Coburn and Majors beat him. I only bring it up, based on rumors he did not come in to fall camp in the best shape. The number itself isnt a big deal, unless you are wondering about his work ethic. I cant imagine that Collins, Corburn, and Angilau are hitting the same top speed. I will admit, it could be the recruiting kool aid that is still in my head. That and it is early in the offseason and he is a guy Texas desperately needs to play to his potential. 

IT with some S&C notes:

By: Eric and Justin

This time last year the goal for strength and conditioning coach Torre Becton seemed to be increasing mobility and strengthening the smaller, supporting muscles. A year later, the goal appears to be to get the team stronger in the fundamental lifts.

Where last year we’d hear about more unilateral work, this year the emphasis seems to be on adding power to the big muscle groups. The traditional lifts are being used to accomplish this: both back and front squat (more back at this time — good), power cleans, dead lifts, and board benching.

Board benching is often used by power lifters and is a tell of the staff’s overlying goals. It’s simple, place a board on your chest and bench. The decreased rep range allows for more weight. Using boards allows for more frequency in training.

It sounds like another intention of this ‘back to basics’ approach is acclimating so many new players into the program. They need to increase their baseline strength and this program should do it.

This doesn’t mean all they’re doing is low rep, high weight lifting, but it is the emphasis.

IT has heard some strength numbers and the team has a long way to go, but this current workout bloc should help address some deficiencies that tended to show up in the 4th quarter.

This tweet is fun to discuss:

Roschon being No. 1 should come as no surprise. He has the best downhill velocity of any running back, meaning he’s the one you’d least like to stand in front of if he had a 10-yard head start.

If anyone wants to do some basic math, you can figure out their top speed by using their roster weight. That doesn’t interest me right now because this is the slowest they‘ll be all year.

On the same ‘hit stick’ chart above but for every other position, Keondre Coburn was No. 1. Nobody at Texas likes it when we share numbers so we’ll refrain, but behind Coburn was Byron Murphy and T’Vondre Sweat.

When it comes to speed for OL/DL, the OL had a good showing. Andrej Karic was third fastest, Jake Majors fourth, Junior Angilau seventh, and Christian Jones eighth. Right now @Halas is laughing at me for posting OL and speed. I will reply to him, as I laugh myself, “it’s the offseason, sir.”

Finally, we continue to hear excitement around transfer Isaiah Neyor. His time at Wyoming makes him a bit of a known commodity, but expectations are also high for him based on how he’s moving in workouts. I’m trying to temper my personal expectations a tad, because he didn’t always win by separating at Wyoming, but he’s being called fast, fluid, and agile. Unfortunately we haven’t heard a mph for him in workouts, but he is impressing with his movement skills.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

"Texas men’s and women’s basketball and rowing practice facility will be located adjacent to the new Moody Center and is scheduled for completion in summer 2022, according to Texas officials, while details on the new Texas football practice facility were not stated in the press release."

Hopefully, the football practice facility gets included in these improvements.

Edited by Cairn Horn88

20 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Texas football is the repu****ans of the football world. Fuck everything up then promise to make it better with grand promises and bullshit then next time fuck it all up again. Rinse, repeat. 

Obligatory take it to the CR comment, but I do have to ask why "republicans" is censored when "fuck" and "bullshit" aren't?

7 hours ago, D3zii said:

Is this good??? 39295C24-4BC1-4E75-89CE-AFE5294BC1C7.thumb.png.04b38294ae0dcf20485bfd6952354c36.png

If so i really believe Brooks is going to make that transition from Bijan super smooth. . He looked really good is his small amount of reps 

Momentum = mass x velocity. That's essentially what they're calculating (weight isn't mass but in this sense it's close enough). You would expect RoJo to be at the top being by far the biggest guy on the list. Brooks being that high while being a little lighter than Bijan basically tells you he has better top end speed - hardly unbelievable given that's essentially Bijan's Achilles Heel as a player.

5 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

10890321.png

Every once in a while I find myself asking "Where the hell is Myron Warren?" This is one of those moments.

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

"Texas men’s and women’s basketball and rowing practice facility will be located adjacent to the new Moody Center and is scheduled for completion in summer 2022, according to Texas officials, while details on the new Texas football practice facility were not stated in the press release."

Hopefully, the football practice facility gets included in these improvements.

16 minutes ago, D3zii said:

This is probably just the start I’m sure we’ll get a few more gifts for the practice facilities. .  . 

Yeah $20mm isn't enough to fund a new indoor practice field alone, much less the bball/rowing stuff too. Money won't be a problem though. Open land for it, ideally also fitting 2-3 outdoor fields, is the tougher part.

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah $20mm isn't enough to fund a new indoor practice field alone, much less the bball/rowing stuff too. Money won't be a problem though. Open land for it, ideally also fitting 2-3 outdoor fields, is the tougher part.

Yea the land for it in Downtown Austin will definitely be the biggest hurdle