Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I can't imagine a 6'4" 185 lb kid having the frame to play DE. He needs to put on 50 lbs at least, most of that good weight. It's not all that easy to spin down a safety at 200 to LB much less a DE. 

Unless they're recruiting him as an weakside linebacker type similar to Mo Blackwell? Looking at his frame and arm length he seems perfect for that role and similar to what Washington had under PK.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Nah I meant this guy

https://247sports.com/Player/derrick-brown-46110382/high-school-258722/

Who Texas had listed at 203 lbs before he transferred (the first time, according to Anwar)

Should have been more clear on "never made it" meaning he didn't touch the field, afaik

Edited by TommyGufano

On 12/27/2023 at 1:48 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Unless they're recruiting him as an weakside linebacker type similar to Mo Blackwell? Looking at his frame and arm length he seems perfect for that role and similar to what Washington had under PK.

I think his tape is really good.  Lots of range and is a tackling machine.  

58 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

He can play OLB. His first college game won’t be for 20 months and that if he doesn’t redshirt. It may be 32 months from now. 

He’s long, quick, and “sudden”. He will be fine. Likely at least 215 the first time he sees the field and maybe up to 225. Will be 230 to 245 when he finishes college. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

He can play OLB. His first college game won’t be for 20 months and that if he doesn’t redshirt. It may be 32 months from now. 

He’s long, quick, and “sudden”. He will be fine. Likely at least 215 the first time he sees the field and maybe up to 225. Will be 230 to 245 when he finishes college. 

His tape is absolutely legit.  The recruiting services are way behind on Duece. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Scruggs -  What I know: 2025 defensive edition

Spoiler

With only a couple of targets left on the board for the Longhorns in the 2024 recruiting cycle, it’s time we get ahead to 2025 and start talking about the soon to be rising senior class. 

This is basically just me summarizing as many recruitments (at their current stages) as I can in one class. I might have a prediction or opinion here or there, but none of what I write is a crystal ball unless otherwise noted. 

Before we get into it it's important to remember that we’re in December of 2023 and every kid I’m about to write about has a literal full year before signing a letter of intent, so that said a lot of things can and will change between now and then. 

This only covers the defensive side of the ball, click HERE for the offensive version of the story from last week. 

Let's get into it.

DEFENSIVE LINE

— With Melbourne (FL) Eau Gallie three-star DL Brandon Brown already committed and in the boat for the Longhorns 2025 recruiting class, the next step will be to find more D-Linemen to accompany the 6-foot-1.5, 286 pounder. 

— I think the ship has pretty much all but sailed for Saraland (AL) four-star and Auburn commit Antonio Coleman. Coleman attends the same school as KJ Lacey and was actually offered by Texas two days after Lacey gave his commitment to Texas. That was in the first week of June though, and on Sept. 11 Coleman committed to Alabama only to flip to Auburn three months later on Dec. 22. It’s well known that pulling recruits from the state of Alabama that are prioritized by either of the two in-state schools is damn near impossible and with Coleman having never visited Texas and having already flipped once he probably won’t be getting written about much on this site going forward. Out of all of the defensive tackles Texas has offered in 2025, Coleman might very well be the hardest to reel in.

Lance Jackson (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— I really like the spot Texas is currently in with Texarkana Pleasant Grove four-star Lance Jackson. Arkansas and Tennessee are the two others to watch, but from where things stand now it feels like it’s going to come down to the Longhorns and the Razorbacks. I think other schools could potentially become more involved come official visit season, but again I’d be surprised if Jackson doesn’t end up at Texas or Arkansas. Arkansas poses the biggest threat because of Jackson’s older brother (Landon Jackson) being on the roster and the success he’s had there along with the fact that Arkansas is basically an in-state school for Texarkana prospects. Jackson’s older brother could’ve left for the NFL draft but is instead returning to Fayetteville for one more season. With Lance being a 2025 having Landon return for one more season shouldn’t be a humongous deal but it now means he’s guaranteed to be on Lance’s official visit to Arkansas. With the Jackson family having already been through the recruitment of a high profile d-line prospect, they’re vets to the recruitment process and have taken a great approach in how they’ve handled both of their son’s recruitments. That said, this isn’t their first rodeo and Jackson is looking to take official visits as soon as he can beginning in late spring with plans to announce a commitment shortly after his official visits have been taken. Pete Kwiatkowski is the man running point on this one and the Jackson’s have known the Texas defensive coordinator for several years going back to when Kwiatkowski was recruiting Landon to Washington years ago. To wrap it up, I like the chances of Texas ending up with the younger Jackson over Arkansas. Also, while he’s listed by 247Sports as a DL he has the frame and ability to be an EDGE at the next level and some schools recruiting him have different positional preferences. Texas has told him they’d “move him around” if Austin ends up being his destination. Click HERE for a story with quotes from Jackson from a few weeks ago.

— The younger cousin of former SMU and NFL wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, Bellville four-star DJ Sanders has a recruitment that will be interesting to track going forward. For one, Sanders doesn’t really do social media and he prefers not to give up much about his recruitment. At this point in the process he hasn’t been able to take many visits, but he’s been to Texas A&M and Baylor a handful of times and to my knowledge has only been to the Forty Acres once and it was at the end of March when Texas hosted a bunch of recruits the same weekend as the Overtime 7on7 tournament in Round Rock. During the fall a source told me Texas A&M was the runaway favorite and that Texas wasn’t involved a ton at that point. With the recent turmoil in College Station I’m not sure if that’s the case anymore and I’ll be trying to dig up more on Sanders over the next few weeks. Recruitments like this one that have had barely any visits taken are often decided after official visits have been taken to schools the prospect previously hadn’t seen before. Nonetheless he is an absolute monster and I don’t think it’s a question that he’s hands down the best interior defensive lineman in the state of Texas for the 2025 class.

— I think the Longhorns are in a good spot for Nashville (TN) Ensworth DL Ethan Utley but as good a place that they’re in I think they’re behind Tennessee for the number one spot. Of the schools in his top five that include Michigan, Oklahoma, Syracuse, Tennessee, and Texas, Syracuse is the school that I just don’t see it happening with. I’d expect Utley to make it back to the Forty Acres before he comes to a decision but as things stand right now it feels like that decision would be for Tennessee. It’s really hard to beat out the Vols for any in-state prospects that are coveted by Tennessee and if I’m not mistaken I think he’d be the first Texas player in the Steve Sarkisian era that hails from the Volunteer State if Texas ends up being his choice.

— Port Arthur Memorial four-star Michael Riles is another prospect that has a recruitment that feels like it could really be determined come official visit season, as Riles hasn’t been able to take many visits yet and to my knowledge has only been to Texas once and it was back in June for the Elite camp. Besides Texas, Houston, Texas Tech and USC seem to be the other schools at the top of Riles’ list. A&M at one point was also up there but with the coaching turmoil I’m not sure where that stands.

— Hattiesburg (MS) Oak Grove four-star Andrew Maddox took a visit to Texas for the elite camp in June but hasn’t returned since. On the visit he was accompanied by his older brother Anthony Maddox who was committed to Texas A&M at the time but ended up flipping to Ole Miss four days before early signing day. With Maddox being a Mississippi prospect with his older brother soon to be in Oxford I think it’s the Rebels who lead here and by a large margin. With Bo Davis’ Mississippi ties there's always a chance the Longhorns could weasel into the recruitment but with the variables at play it feels like his commitment story to Ole Miss is just waiting to be written. LSU, Auburn, and Georgia are also involved and I feel like those three schools are all in a better place than Texas currently is. I’d expect Mississippi State to eventually try to make a pretty big push as well.

Zion Williams (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— I think that top two favorites of Texas and TCU will be who the decision comes down to for Lufkin four-star Zion Williams. Other schools could get involved in the spring but with where things stand right now it’s clear that Texas and TCU are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else. While the Longhorns tend to win recruiting battles over the Horned Frogs, Williams happens to have a special connection to TCU’s defensive line coach Jamarkus McFarland that will make things tough for Texas. McFarland was born and raised in Lufkin and both Williams and McFarland’s families have been friends going back decades. That said, McFarland has quite literally been in Williams' life since Williams was a baby. While I think that special relationship will help the Horned Frogs a lot and will make things tough for the Longhorns, I ultimately think Texas is best positioned to land Williams when it’s all said and done. When I spoke with Williams the first week of November, he mentioned Lufkin’s spring game as the day he’s hoping to announce a commitment on. To read that story with quotes, click HERE.

— Spring high’s Floyd Guidry is a new offer from Texas that went out 11 days ago on Dec. 19. At this point in time Guidry only holds three other offers from Pittsburgh, Texas State, and Texas Tech so I’d be very surprised if Texas isn’t already the current leader but more offers will be coming Guidry’s way.

— At this point in time I’d be pretty surprised if Cy-Fair three-star Landon Rink doesn’t eventually end up in the Longhorns 2025 recruiting class. I think Rink will probably take official visits to Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Texas, Texas A&M but with Rink’s father having played d-line at Texas in the nineties (Shane Rink) and Landon having grown up a Texas fan I really like Texas’ chances to win this one out. On top of all of those variables, Rink is also teammates and close friends with Texas 2024 QB signee Trey Owens who’s been in Rink’s ear pushing Texas for almost a year now. Another cool little tidbit about Rink is that when his father was at Texas he happened to be roommates with Brian Vasek — the father of Texas freshman EDGE Colton Vasek — and we all know how Vasek’s recruitment went down.

— Alabama, LSU, Michigan, and Texas seem to be the schools at the front for Mansfield Timberview’s Dilan Battle. Battle keeps a relatively low profile and we’ll have a better read on his recruitment as the offseason rolls on. Signing Andre Cojoe out of Timberview in the 2023 class will certainly help Texas’ case.

— Jacksonville (FL) Raines defensive lineman Jyon Simon told Horns247 he wanted to make it to campus for a game this fall but with the way his high school season lined up he couldn’t make it happen. He tells Horns247 he’s going to try to make it to the Junior Day on Jan. 20.

Quick hitters: To my knowledge, Iose Epenesa, Nathaniel Marshall, London Merritt, Trent Wilson, Kevin Oatis, Jyon Simon and Reginald Vaughn have never visited Texas before. Both Carmello Brooks and Xavier Ukponu are high on Texas but there are others ahead of them on the board. Brooks will be back at Texas in January for the Longhorns’ Junior Day.

EDGE

— Based off where things stand right now I think Humble Summer Creek four-star Chad Woodfork is going to eventually end up in Texas’s 2025 recruiting class. Georgia, Texas Tech, and USC round out the main competition for right now but again I think Texas is best positioned to land Woodfork. All around the Longhorns have many advantages in this recruitment. The Longhorns were his first major power five offer, beating Georgia to the punch by four months and USC by five months. Woodfork also has great admiration for his former Summer Creek teammate Kelvin Banks and Banks has been a part of Texas’ recruiting efforts in their pursuit of Woodwork which will help the Longhorns chances down the stretch. There’s also the fact that Texas can offer the shortest proximity to home. He always makes sure to emphasize academics when speaking about his recruitment and if that holds true that also tilts Texas’ way. He hasn’t taken many visits yet either, but he’s been to Austin to see Texas three times in 2023. That means Woodfork is prioritizing Texas and the Longhorns are prioritizing the 6-foot-4, 220 pounder as well as both Bo Davis and Pete Kwiatkowski are sharing lead recruiter duties. Like a lot of 2025 recruits, official visits could change Woodfork’s recruitment but again I think Texas is best positioned to land him.

Kamauryn Morgan (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— Red Oak four-star Kamauryn Morgan is another EDGE prospect that’s high on Texas. SMU, Georgia, Oregon and Texas A&M are the main competition right now, but I think Texas is setting the pace in this one. SMU is very much a legit threat for Morgan and at some point in the next few weeks I’ll probably write something about how going forward the Ponies will be much more of a thorn in the side of Texas then they’ve been in recent history. Morgan is like other prospects on this list that haven’t been able to take very many visits yet. To my knowledge Morgan has only visited SMU, Texas, and Texas A&M up to this point. Of the eight EDGE prospects that have been offered by Texas in 2025, Woodfork and Morgan are who I think the Longhorns are in the best position for. It’s also important to note that with Morgan’s frame and body type he could be moved from EDGE to the (interior) defensive line to play five-tech at the next level, but for now he’s listed as an EDGE by 247Sports. Woodfork on the other hand projects strictly as an EDGE.

— Philadelphia (PA) Imhotep Institute four-star Zahir Mathis is an interesting recruitment for Texas. Without ever having visited Austin, Mathis included the Longhorns in his top five alongside Florida State, Ohio State, South Carolina, and Tennessee. While Penn State wasn’t included, the Nittany Lions are also still involved. Florida State is also in the same boat as Texas where they made the initial cut without ever having hosted Mathis for a visit in Tallahassee. Here’s a quote he gave 247Sports National Analyst Brian Dohn about why Texas made his top five “Texas intrigues me because I had a good conversation with (defensive coordinator) coach Pete (Kwiatkowski)," he said. "That intrigued me and it also is not really about the image. Texas is a great school. They have a great GPA so it's a benefit for me because they have (the academics) and they have a great d-line corps”. At this point I think it’s safe to say that Ohio State, South Carolina, and Tennessee will have the lead over Florida State and Texas unless Mathis makes it down to Austin and Tallahassee in the spring.

— Both Danville (CA) San Ramon Valley four-star Marco Jones and Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei four-star Nasir Wyatt are prospects that seems to share mutual interest with Texas but with them being California guys that are being prioritized by all of the West Coast schools along with national powers like Alabama, Tennessee, Michigan, and Notre Dame it’ll be tough for Texas down the stretch to land either of them. That’s not to say it’s impossible because they’ve done it before with major West Coast Guys like Brandon Baker, but visits to Austin over the spring will be necessary for Texas to have a legitimate shot at both of them.

Quick hitters: Jared Smith, Zion Grady, Ari Watford, Damien Shanklin, and Makel Green have never visited Austin to my knowledge. Grady also gave an early commitment to Alabama so that one’s probably done. Hayden Lowe visited in April but hasn’t been back since and really looks to be headed to play on the West Coast. Max Granville is listed as a linebacker by 247Sports but he’s probably an edge at the next level. Granville posted his top 10 earlier this month and didn’t include Texas.

LINEBACKER

— Horns247 is fully expecting Shadow Creek three-star Anthony "Deuce" Williams to announce a commitment to Texas when his announcement comes up at 4:30 PM on Monday. Auburn, Baylor, Notre Dame, and Oregon round out the other finalists but Texas has been where Williams has been wanting to go since before the Longhorns even offered as Williams grew up watching and rooting for the burnt orange. He would be the first linebacker commitment of the 2025 class. Williams will next be in Austin on Jan. 20 for the Longhorns’ Junior Day.

— Galveston Ball five-star Jonah Williams is the top-ranked linebacker in the Lone Star State for the class of 2025 and with that being said I think his recruitment is far from finished. Williams is a big fan of the recruiting process and I think he’s going to try to log some miles this offseason with visits all over the nation. Williams also plays all over the field for Galveston Ball and while some happen to think linebacker is the position Williams is best projected for he happens to prefer the safety position and if he could he’d like to go both ways at the next level. I think that could have an effect on his recruitment as schools that will play Williams at whatever he wants will have an advantage over other schools who recruit him to play linebacker. Williams is also a big-time baseball prospect and is being projected as a second to third round pick in the MLB Draft if he were to start his pro baseball career immediately out of high school. According to people close to Williams a decision on choosing baseball or football is far from being made. He’s also giving thought to playing both sports at the collegiate level but again a decision is far from being made. With all the moving parts involved in the recruitment there’s just a long way to go in this one and if I’m being honest I don’t think any school really has a big lead over another. On the same note if you had to ask me to predict the 2025 class for Texas Williams wouldn’t be included.

Riley Pettijohn (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— I still like where Texas is with McKinney four-star linebacker Riley Pettijohn even with the turmoil at the linebacker coaching position with Jeff Choate leaving for Nevada. Texas, Florida State, Florida, and USC were the four schools mentioned as favorites by Pettijohn when I spoke with him in October but both Florida and USC have fallen behind with their seasons and their own coaching turmoil. In that same conversation Pettijohn made it very clear Texas was the only in-state school he had real interest in but with his primary recruiter from Florida now taking the same coaching role as linebackers coach at Texas A&M we could maybe see the Aggies get themselves involved. Pettijohn’s father played defensive line at Syracuse in the nineties and with the Orangemen’s new staff intact I wouldn’t be shocked if Pettijohn visited Syracuse but I’d be surprised if they ever emerged as a legitimate candidate. Even with Jeff Choate gone I currently like Texas the most out of anyone to land Pettijohn and think that Xavier Filsaime flipping from Florida and signing with Texas has greatened the Longhorns’ chances even more. After Texas I think Florida State has done the best job in the recruitment so far which I find interesting because they’re also heavily involved with the next linebacker on the list who also hails from Dallas.

— I think Texas is in a good spot for Dallas Skyline four-star Elijah Barnes but not as good of a place as where they’re currently at for Pettijohn if that makes sense. On the same note I think Texas is still the school best positioned to land Barnes down the stretch. Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Oklahoma, Oregon, and SMU round out the main competition for right now but I think the Longhorns are in first place with the Seminoles in second place. It’s been well documented that Barnes’ position coach at Skyline happens to be former Texas linebacker Peter Jinkens and that’s obviously one of the reasons I like Texas’ chances to win out for Barnes down the stretch. The Longhorns also have the proximity factor working to their advantage against everyone except for SMU. An ace recruiter, Jeff Choate has done a great job in recruiting Barnes but the new linebacker coach (when hired) will need to continue the great effort to ensure the Longhorns land Barnes.

— La Verne (CA) Bonita four-star Noah Mikhail made it down to Austin in March and returned for the Kansas game on Sept. 30. While a 2025 California prospect visiting Texas twice could come as encouraging news, Mikhail has probably been on two and a half dozen total visits already and I think this one just has a long time to play out with so many schools still involved. Things can always change but with where they’re at for Deuce Williams, Pettijohn, and Barnes and a new linebacker coach set to come in I don’t think the chances of Mikhail ending up at Texas are high.

Quick hitters: Jadon Perlotte, Gavin Nix, Christian Pierce, and Ko'o Kia haven’t tripped to Texas before to my knowledge. Kelvion Riggins and Jayden Shelton were both early offers and they’re now looking elsewhere. Ko’o Kia looks to be headed to Notre Dame but if not that was mainly Jeff Choate who had the Longhorns in the mix so I’m not sure how involved Texas will be without him. Keylan Moses showed interest in Texas and included the Longhorns in his top three but he had been heavily leaning towards the Bayou Bengals for a long time leading up to his commitment to LSU.

CORNERBACK

— North Shore five-star Devin Sanchez will be announcing his commitment on Jan. 6 and will be choosing between the finalists of Alabama, Ohio State, and Texas A&M. Ohio State is the expected choice and the Buckeyes lead on the crystal ball. Texas has only hosted Sanchez for two visits with the most recent one being in January for the Junior Day. Sanchez was the last visitor to leave campus that day and in speaking with him after the visit that day it appeared Texas had completely crushed it and would be a legitimate contender for him. However when I went out to see Sanchez at a North Shore spring practice in May and a showcase later on in July, it was clear Texas had fallen way behind. Since then I don’t think much has changed and I like many others are expecting Sanchez to choose the Buckeyes when his announcement rolls around a week from now.

— Conroe five-star Dorian Brew is back in the Lone Star State after living in Ohio for the past several years. Before moving to Texas in October, Brew had been one of Ohio State’s most frequent visitors and it’s the Buckeyes who currently lead for the second of two five-star cornerbacks in Texas. Texas A&M was the school Brew grew up liking and the Aggies hosted Brew several times this fall and looked to be in second place behind the Buckeyes but with the coaching changes in College Station I’m not sure how that looks now. A special athlete, Brew’s mother is in the Ohio State Athletics hall of fame for her accolades as a sprinter and his father was a sprinter at LSU before winning a gold medal in the 4x400 relay in the 2004 Olympics. Michigan and Notre Dame are among other midwest schools involved but with Brew back in Houston I’d expect more schools in the south to start hosting the five-star on visits. Brew was a Texas visitor for this year’s Red River Rivalry game and also tripped to the Bayou to see LSU host Texas A&M. I’d be surprised if Brew didn’t make a visit to Austin at least once before deciding on a commitment.

— It’s rare that a high-profile cornerback prospect from the Peach State would hold Texas in high regard, but Atlanta (GA) Douglass four-star Jontae Gilbert has made it very clear to Horns247 he has interest in Texas. A large part of that happens to be due to Gilbert’s father having attended the University of Texas. Clemson, Georgia, Georgia Tech, and South Carolina seem to be the main competition at this point with Gilbert planning to release his top five sometime in the spring. Clemson is the current leader on the crystal ball. It’ll be tough to pull Gilbert out of Georgia, but with the built in legacy element Texas will do what they can to reel in the top-50 prospect. Up to this point Gilbert has only visited Texas once with the trip being back in March when Gilbert was in town for the Overtime 7on7 tournament that was in Round Rock.

— It’s still early in Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei four-star Daryus Dixson’s process but I think Texas could end up being a contender amongst Arizona, Oregon, USC, and Washington. Texas is very much in it for his 2025 teammates Jordon Davison and Marcus Harris and getting Brandon Baker and Spencer Shannon in back to back classes doesn’t hurt either.

— New Iberia (LA) Westgate four-star Jaboree Antoine is going to have a dogfight recruitment, but Texas appears to have as good a shot as anyone. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee and Texas are the main schools of note but the majority of the recent buzz hasn’t included Alabama and has been more of Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, and Texas. Texas having Derek Williams already on the roster is helping them a lot here, as Antoine’s father is the head coach at Westgate and was on several of Williams’ visits to Texas where Jaboree would be brought along as well. Pulling a top prospect out of Louisiana is never easy, but LSU doesn’t seem to be as big a draw to Antoine as it usually is for other prospects that hail from the boot. Spring and summer visits will determine a lot in this recruitment, but for now Texas seems to be in as good a spot as can be. Antoine is scheduled to be at Tennessee on Jan. 20 so that excludes him from Texas’ Junior Day list.

Cobey Sellers (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— I think Texas was in a better spot over the summer for Shadow Creek four-star Cobey Sellers then they currently are now but I still think they’re at or around the top of his list. That’s not to say Texas has done anything wrong, just more schools have gotten involved as Sellers has taken more and more visits. Oklahoma, LSU, Washington, and Georgia are among others that have entered the picture as legitimate candidates. Texas being in position to land Sellers’ teammate and close friend Deuce Williams certainly helps the Longhorns chances as well. He tells Horns247 he’ll be back in Austin on Jan. 20 for the Longhorns junior day and we’ll have more then.

— I think Texas is in a good spot and has been in a good spot since the summer for Caleb Chester but with him being lower on the board I’m not sure exactly how that looks. Arkansas, Houston, Florida State, LSU, Oregon, and Texas A&M are among others involved. I’ll try to dig up more on Chester.

— The younger brother of three-star Oklahoma QB signee Michael Hawkins, Frisco Emerson three-star Maliek Hawkins is expected to follow his brother to Norman. Hawkins’ father (Mike) also played cornerback for Oklahoma and the Sooners have been recruiting both of his sons for several years at this point. Hawkins fits the body type the staff likes, but with all the variables lining up the Sooners’ way I’m not sure how much Texas is going to want to push here. Arkansas and Mississippi State are two others involved but again this has Oklahoma written all over it.

Quick hitters: To my knowledge, Devin Williams, Chris Ewald, and Timothy Merritt have never visited before. Duncanville’s Javion Holiday had interest in Texas at one point but he wasn’t a take in Austin when he committed to SMU a few weeks ago. It’s a major plus that Texas wrapped up the secondary class in 2024 the way they did because 2025 is a down year of in-state secondary talent. With how good the 2024 group is the staff has more room to be selective with their 2025 takes as they’ll be less room in this class for defensive backs. Of the in-state prospects, Micah Strickland, Kade Phillips, and Zay Gentry are three that best fit what Texas usually looks for in corners. I also like Jason Stokes Jr. a lot and he’s right up the road at Pflugerville Weiss.

SAFETY

— DeSoto’s Sael Reyes has an interesting recruitment as he moved down to Texas earlier this year and is half brothers with former Texas A&M and current Jacksonville Jaguars safety Antonio Johnson. The Aggies weren’t included in his top schools list from several months ago but a source told me they’re back to being a contender with the new staff now in place in College Station. Oklahoma and Texas are also involved among others, but the new A&M staff was doing a great job of recruiting Reyes when they were at Duke and now that they’re in College Station I think that’s ultimately where Reyes ends up.

— Tyler Chapel Hill three-star and SMU commit Demetrius Brisbon is listed as an athlete but is getting recruited to play safety at the next level. Brisbon’s commitment to SMU on June 8 came kind of out of nowhere, and in the time since several schools including Texas have been making efforts to flip the East Texan. Getting Brisbon off of his pledge to SMU will be tricky as his close friend and Chapel Hill teammate Rickey Stewart is also committed to the Ponies. Khenon Hall was a huge part of getting both Brisbon and Stewart in the boat at SMU, and now that he’s taken a new role on Baylor’s staff there could potentially be some shake up with Brisbon and Stewart’s commitments but up to this point there’s been no reason to sweat them just yet.

Quick hitters: To my knowledge DJ Pickett, Kainoa Winston, Amari Wallace, Matai Tagoa'i, and Omarion Robinson have never been to Texas. This is another time to circle back to the 2024 defensive back class that Texas signed to remember how stacked it was and that Texas can be very patient and selective to their approach to recruiting defensive backs in 2025. More offers will likely need to be sent out and with the weak in-state defensive back class it’s likely those offers would be getting sent out-of-state.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Scruggs -  What I know: 2025 defensive edition

Hide contents

With only a couple of targets left on the board for the Longhorns in the 2024 recruiting cycle, it’s time we get ahead to 2025 and start talking about the soon to be rising senior class. 

This is basically just me summarizing as many recruitments (at their current stages) as I can in one class. I might have a prediction or opinion here or there, but none of what I write is a crystal ball unless otherwise noted. 

Before we get into it it's important to remember that we’re in December of 2023 and every kid I’m about to write about has a literal full year before signing a letter of intent, so that said a lot of things can and will change between now and then. 

This only covers the defensive side of the ball, click HERE for the offensive version of the story from last week. 

Let's get into it.

DEFENSIVE LINE

— With Melbourne (FL) Eau Gallie three-star DL Brandon Brown already committed and in the boat for the Longhorns 2025 recruiting class, the next step will be to find more D-Linemen to accompany the 6-foot-1.5, 286 pounder. 

— I think the ship has pretty much all but sailed for Saraland (AL) four-star and Auburn commit Antonio Coleman. Coleman attends the same school as KJ Lacey and was actually offered by Texas two days after Lacey gave his commitment to Texas. That was in the first week of June though, and on Sept. 11 Coleman committed to Alabama only to flip to Auburn three months later on Dec. 22. It’s well known that pulling recruits from the state of Alabama that are prioritized by either of the two in-state schools is damn near impossible and with Coleman having never visited Texas and having already flipped once he probably won’t be getting written about much on this site going forward. Out of all of the defensive tackles Texas has offered in 2025, Coleman might very well be the hardest to reel in.

Lance Jackson (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— I really like the spot Texas is currently in with Texarkana Pleasant Grove four-star Lance Jackson. Arkansas and Tennessee are the two others to watch, but from where things stand now it feels like it’s going to come down to the Longhorns and the Razorbacks. I think other schools could potentially become more involved come official visit season, but again I’d be surprised if Jackson doesn’t end up at Texas or Arkansas. Arkansas poses the biggest threat because of Jackson’s older brother (Landon Jackson) being on the roster and the success he’s had there along with the fact that Arkansas is basically an in-state school for Texarkana prospects. Jackson’s older brother could’ve left for the NFL draft but is instead returning to Fayetteville for one more season. With Lance being a 2025 having Landon return for one more season shouldn’t be a humongous deal but it now means he’s guaranteed to be on Lance’s official visit to Arkansas. With the Jackson family having already been through the recruitment of a high profile d-line prospect, they’re vets to the recruitment process and have taken a great approach in how they’ve handled both of their son’s recruitments. That said, this isn’t their first rodeo and Jackson is looking to take official visits as soon as he can beginning in late spring with plans to announce a commitment shortly after his official visits have been taken. Pete Kwiatkowski is the man running point on this one and the Jackson’s have known the Texas defensive coordinator for several years going back to when Kwiatkowski was recruiting Landon to Washington years ago. To wrap it up, I like the chances of Texas ending up with the younger Jackson over Arkansas. Also, while he’s listed by 247Sports as a DL he has the frame and ability to be an EDGE at the next level and some schools recruiting him have different positional preferences. Texas has told him they’d “move him around” if Austin ends up being his destination. Click HERE for a story with quotes from Jackson from a few weeks ago.

— The younger cousin of former SMU and NFL wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, Bellville four-star DJ Sanders has a recruitment that will be interesting to track going forward. For one, Sanders doesn’t really do social media and he prefers not to give up much about his recruitment. At this point in the process he hasn’t been able to take many visits, but he’s been to Texas A&M and Baylor a handful of times and to my knowledge has only been to the Forty Acres once and it was at the end of March when Texas hosted a bunch of recruits the same weekend as the Overtime 7on7 tournament in Round Rock. During the fall a source told me Texas A&M was the runaway favorite and that Texas wasn’t involved a ton at that point. With the recent turmoil in College Station I’m not sure if that’s the case anymore and I’ll be trying to dig up more on Sanders over the next few weeks. Recruitments like this one that have had barely any visits taken are often decided after official visits have been taken to schools the prospect previously hadn’t seen before. Nonetheless he is an absolute monster and I don’t think it’s a question that he’s hands down the best interior defensive lineman in the state of Texas for the 2025 class.

— I think the Longhorns are in a good spot for Nashville (TN) Ensworth DL Ethan Utley but as good a place that they’re in I think they’re behind Tennessee for the number one spot. Of the schools in his top five that include Michigan, Oklahoma, Syracuse, Tennessee, and Texas, Syracuse is the school that I just don’t see it happening with. I’d expect Utley to make it back to the Forty Acres before he comes to a decision but as things stand right now it feels like that decision would be for Tennessee. It’s really hard to beat out the Vols for any in-state prospects that are coveted by Tennessee and if I’m not mistaken I think he’d be the first Texas player in the Steve Sarkisian era that hails from the Volunteer State if Texas ends up being his choice.

— Port Arthur Memorial four-star Michael Riles is another prospect that has a recruitment that feels like it could really be determined come official visit season, as Riles hasn’t been able to take many visits yet and to my knowledge has only been to Texas once and it was back in June for the Elite camp. Besides Texas, Houston, Texas Tech and USC seem to be the other schools at the top of Riles’ list. A&M at one point was also up there but with the coaching turmoil I’m not sure where that stands.

— Hattiesburg (MS) Oak Grove four-star Andrew Maddox took a visit to Texas for the elite camp in June but hasn’t returned since. On the visit he was accompanied by his older brother Anthony Maddox who was committed to Texas A&M at the time but ended up flipping to Ole Miss four days before early signing day. With Maddox being a Mississippi prospect with his older brother soon to be in Oxford I think it’s the Rebels who lead here and by a large margin. With Bo Davis’ Mississippi ties there's always a chance the Longhorns could weasel into the recruitment but with the variables at play it feels like his commitment story to Ole Miss is just waiting to be written. LSU, Auburn, and Georgia are also involved and I feel like those three schools are all in a better place than Texas currently is. I’d expect Mississippi State to eventually try to make a pretty big push as well.

Zion Williams (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— I think that top two favorites of Texas and TCU will be who the decision comes down to for Lufkin four-star Zion Williams. Other schools could get involved in the spring but with where things stand right now it’s clear that Texas and TCU are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else. While the Longhorns tend to win recruiting battles over the Horned Frogs, Williams happens to have a special connection to TCU’s defensive line coach Jamarkus McFarland that will make things tough for Texas. McFarland was born and raised in Lufkin and both Williams and McFarland’s families have been friends going back decades. That said, McFarland has quite literally been in Williams' life since Williams was a baby. While I think that special relationship will help the Horned Frogs a lot and will make things tough for the Longhorns, I ultimately think Texas is best positioned to land Williams when it’s all said and done. When I spoke with Williams the first week of November, he mentioned Lufkin’s spring game as the day he’s hoping to announce a commitment on. To read that story with quotes, click HERE.

— Spring high’s Floyd Guidry is a new offer from Texas that went out 11 days ago on Dec. 19. At this point in time Guidry only holds three other offers from Pittsburgh, Texas State, and Texas Tech so I’d be very surprised if Texas isn’t already the current leader but more offers will be coming Guidry’s way.

— At this point in time I’d be pretty surprised if Cy-Fair three-star Landon Rink doesn’t eventually end up in the Longhorns 2025 recruiting class. I think Rink will probably take official visits to Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Texas, Texas A&M but with Rink’s father having played d-line at Texas in the nineties (Shane Rink) and Landon having grown up a Texas fan I really like Texas’ chances to win this one out. On top of all of those variables, Rink is also teammates and close friends with Texas 2024 QB signee Trey Owens who’s been in Rink’s ear pushing Texas for almost a year now. Another cool little tidbit about Rink is that when his father was at Texas he happened to be roommates with Brian Vasek — the father of Texas freshman EDGE Colton Vasek — and we all know how Vasek’s recruitment went down.

— Alabama, LSU, Michigan, and Texas seem to be the schools at the front for Mansfield Timberview’s Dilan Battle. Battle keeps a relatively low profile and we’ll have a better read on his recruitment as the offseason rolls on. Signing Andre Cojoe out of Timberview in the 2023 class will certainly help Texas’ case.

— Jacksonville (FL) Raines defensive lineman Jyon Simon told Horns247 he wanted to make it to campus for a game this fall but with the way his high school season lined up he couldn’t make it happen. He tells Horns247 he’s going to try to make it to the Junior Day on Jan. 20.

Quick hitters: To my knowledge, Iose Epenesa, Nathaniel Marshall, London Merritt, Trent Wilson, Kevin Oatis, Jyon Simon and Reginald Vaughn have never visited Texas before. Both Carmello Brooks and Xavier Ukponu are high on Texas but there are others ahead of them on the board. Brooks will be back at Texas in January for the Longhorns’ Junior Day.

EDGE

— Based off where things stand right now I think Humble Summer Creek four-star Chad Woodfork is going to eventually end up in Texas’s 2025 recruiting class. Georgia, Texas Tech, and USC round out the main competition for right now but again I think Texas is best positioned to land Woodfork. All around the Longhorns have many advantages in this recruitment. The Longhorns were his first major power five offer, beating Georgia to the punch by four months and USC by five months. Woodfork also has great admiration for his former Summer Creek teammate Kelvin Banks and Banks has been a part of Texas’ recruiting efforts in their pursuit of Woodwork which will help the Longhorns chances down the stretch. There’s also the fact that Texas can offer the shortest proximity to home. He always makes sure to emphasize academics when speaking about his recruitment and if that holds true that also tilts Texas’ way. He hasn’t taken many visits yet either, but he’s been to Austin to see Texas three times in 2023. That means Woodfork is prioritizing Texas and the Longhorns are prioritizing the 6-foot-4, 220 pounder as well as both Bo Davis and Pete Kwiatkowski are sharing lead recruiter duties. Like a lot of 2025 recruits, official visits could change Woodfork’s recruitment but again I think Texas is best positioned to land him.

Kamauryn Morgan (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— Red Oak four-star Kamauryn Morgan is another EDGE prospect that’s high on Texas. SMU, Georgia, Oregon and Texas A&M are the main competition right now, but I think Texas is setting the pace in this one. SMU is very much a legit threat for Morgan and at some point in the next few weeks I’ll probably write something about how going forward the Ponies will be much more of a thorn in the side of Texas then they’ve been in recent history. Morgan is like other prospects on this list that haven’t been able to take very many visits yet. To my knowledge Morgan has only visited SMU, Texas, and Texas A&M up to this point. Of the eight EDGE prospects that have been offered by Texas in 2025, Woodfork and Morgan are who I think the Longhorns are in the best position for. It’s also important to note that with Morgan’s frame and body type he could be moved from EDGE to the (interior) defensive line to play five-tech at the next level, but for now he’s listed as an EDGE by 247Sports. Woodfork on the other hand projects strictly as an EDGE.

— Philadelphia (PA) Imhotep Institute four-star Zahir Mathis is an interesting recruitment for Texas. Without ever having visited Austin, Mathis included the Longhorns in his top five alongside Florida State, Ohio State, South Carolina, and Tennessee. While Penn State wasn’t included, the Nittany Lions are also still involved. Florida State is also in the same boat as Texas where they made the initial cut without ever having hosted Mathis for a visit in Tallahassee. Here’s a quote he gave 247Sports National Analyst Brian Dohn about why Texas made his top five “Texas intrigues me because I had a good conversation with (defensive coordinator) coach Pete (Kwiatkowski)," he said. "That intrigued me and it also is not really about the image. Texas is a great school. They have a great GPA so it's a benefit for me because they have (the academics) and they have a great d-line corps”. At this point I think it’s safe to say that Ohio State, South Carolina, and Tennessee will have the lead over Florida State and Texas unless Mathis makes it down to Austin and Tallahassee in the spring.

— Both Danville (CA) San Ramon Valley four-star Marco Jones and Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei four-star Nasir Wyatt are prospects that seems to share mutual interest with Texas but with them being California guys that are being prioritized by all of the West Coast schools along with national powers like Alabama, Tennessee, Michigan, and Notre Dame it’ll be tough for Texas down the stretch to land either of them. That’s not to say it’s impossible because they’ve done it before with major West Coast Guys like Brandon Baker, but visits to Austin over the spring will be necessary for Texas to have a legitimate shot at both of them.

Quick hitters: Jared Smith, Zion Grady, Ari Watford, Damien Shanklin, and Makel Green have never visited Austin to my knowledge. Grady also gave an early commitment to Alabama so that one’s probably done. Hayden Lowe visited in April but hasn’t been back since and really looks to be headed to play on the West Coast. Max Granville is listed as a linebacker by 247Sports but he’s probably an edge at the next level. Granville posted his top 10 earlier this month and didn’t include Texas.

LINEBACKER

— Horns247 is fully expecting Shadow Creek three-star Anthony "Deuce" Williams to announce a commitment to Texas when his announcement comes up at 4:30 PM on Monday. Auburn, Baylor, Notre Dame, and Oregon round out the other finalists but Texas has been where Williams has been wanting to go since before the Longhorns even offered as Williams grew up watching and rooting for the burnt orange. He would be the first linebacker commitment of the 2025 class. Williams will next be in Austin on Jan. 20 for the Longhorns’ Junior Day.

— Galveston Ball five-star Jonah Williams is the top-ranked linebacker in the Lone Star State for the class of 2025 and with that being said I think his recruitment is far from finished. Williams is a big fan of the recruiting process and I think he’s going to try to log some miles this offseason with visits all over the nation. Williams also plays all over the field for Galveston Ball and while some happen to think linebacker is the position Williams is best projected for he happens to prefer the safety position and if he could he’d like to go both ways at the next level. I think that could have an effect on his recruitment as schools that will play Williams at whatever he wants will have an advantage over other schools who recruit him to play linebacker. Williams is also a big-time baseball prospect and is being projected as a second to third round pick in the MLB Draft if he were to start his pro baseball career immediately out of high school. According to people close to Williams a decision on choosing baseball or football is far from being made. He’s also giving thought to playing both sports at the collegiate level but again a decision is far from being made. With all the moving parts involved in the recruitment there’s just a long way to go in this one and if I’m being honest I don’t think any school really has a big lead over another. On the same note if you had to ask me to predict the 2025 class for Texas Williams wouldn’t be included.

Riley Pettijohn (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— I still like where Texas is with McKinney four-star linebacker Riley Pettijohn even with the turmoil at the linebacker coaching position with Jeff Choate leaving for Nevada. Texas, Florida State, Florida, and USC were the four schools mentioned as favorites by Pettijohn when I spoke with him in October but both Florida and USC have fallen behind with their seasons and their own coaching turmoil. In that same conversation Pettijohn made it very clear Texas was the only in-state school he had real interest in but with his primary recruiter from Florida now taking the same coaching role as linebackers coach at Texas A&M we could maybe see the Aggies get themselves involved. Pettijohn’s father played defensive line at Syracuse in the nineties and with the Orangemen’s new staff intact I wouldn’t be shocked if Pettijohn visited Syracuse but I’d be surprised if they ever emerged as a legitimate candidate. Even with Jeff Choate gone I currently like Texas the most out of anyone to land Pettijohn and think that Xavier Filsaime flipping from Florida and signing with Texas has greatened the Longhorns’ chances even more. After Texas I think Florida State has done the best job in the recruitment so far which I find interesting because they’re also heavily involved with the next linebacker on the list who also hails from Dallas.

— I think Texas is in a good spot for Dallas Skyline four-star Elijah Barnes but not as good of a place as where they’re currently at for Pettijohn if that makes sense. On the same note I think Texas is still the school best positioned to land Barnes down the stretch. Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Oklahoma, Oregon, and SMU round out the main competition for right now but I think the Longhorns are in first place with the Seminoles in second place. It’s been well documented that Barnes’ position coach at Skyline happens to be former Texas linebacker Peter Jinkens and that’s obviously one of the reasons I like Texas’ chances to win out for Barnes down the stretch. The Longhorns also have the proximity factor working to their advantage against everyone except for SMU. An ace recruiter, Jeff Choate has done a great job in recruiting Barnes but the new linebacker coach (when hired) will need to continue the great effort to ensure the Longhorns land Barnes.

— La Verne (CA) Bonita four-star Noah Mikhail made it down to Austin in March and returned for the Kansas game on Sept. 30. While a 2025 California prospect visiting Texas twice could come as encouraging news, Mikhail has probably been on two and a half dozen total visits already and I think this one just has a long time to play out with so many schools still involved. Things can always change but with where they’re at for Deuce Williams, Pettijohn, and Barnes and a new linebacker coach set to come in I don’t think the chances of Mikhail ending up at Texas are high.

Quick hitters: Jadon Perlotte, Gavin Nix, Christian Pierce, and Ko'o Kia haven’t tripped to Texas before to my knowledge. Kelvion Riggins and Jayden Shelton were both early offers and they’re now looking elsewhere. Ko’o Kia looks to be headed to Notre Dame but if not that was mainly Jeff Choate who had the Longhorns in the mix so I’m not sure how involved Texas will be without him. Keylan Moses showed interest in Texas and included the Longhorns in his top three but he had been heavily leaning towards the Bayou Bengals for a long time leading up to his commitment to LSU.

CORNERBACK

— North Shore five-star Devin Sanchez will be announcing his commitment on Jan. 6 and will be choosing between the finalists of Alabama, Ohio State, and Texas A&M. Ohio State is the expected choice and the Buckeyes lead on the crystal ball. Texas has only hosted Sanchez for two visits with the most recent one being in January for the Junior Day. Sanchez was the last visitor to leave campus that day and in speaking with him after the visit that day it appeared Texas had completely crushed it and would be a legitimate contender for him. However when I went out to see Sanchez at a North Shore spring practice in May and a showcase later on in July, it was clear Texas had fallen way behind. Since then I don’t think much has changed and I like many others are expecting Sanchez to choose the Buckeyes when his announcement rolls around a week from now.

— Conroe five-star Dorian Brew is back in the Lone Star State after living in Ohio for the past several years. Before moving to Texas in October, Brew had been one of Ohio State’s most frequent visitors and it’s the Buckeyes who currently lead for the second of two five-star cornerbacks in Texas. Texas A&M was the school Brew grew up liking and the Aggies hosted Brew several times this fall and looked to be in second place behind the Buckeyes but with the coaching changes in College Station I’m not sure how that looks now. A special athlete, Brew’s mother is in the Ohio State Athletics hall of fame for her accolades as a sprinter and his father was a sprinter at LSU before winning a gold medal in the 4x400 relay in the 2004 Olympics. Michigan and Notre Dame are among other midwest schools involved but with Brew back in Houston I’d expect more schools in the south to start hosting the five-star on visits. Brew was a Texas visitor for this year’s Red River Rivalry game and also tripped to the Bayou to see LSU host Texas A&M. I’d be surprised if Brew didn’t make a visit to Austin at least once before deciding on a commitment.

— It’s rare that a high-profile cornerback prospect from the Peach State would hold Texas in high regard, but Atlanta (GA) Douglass four-star Jontae Gilbert has made it very clear to Horns247 he has interest in Texas. A large part of that happens to be due to Gilbert’s father having attended the University of Texas. Clemson, Georgia, Georgia Tech, and South Carolina seem to be the main competition at this point with Gilbert planning to release his top five sometime in the spring. Clemson is the current leader on the crystal ball. It’ll be tough to pull Gilbert out of Georgia, but with the built in legacy element Texas will do what they can to reel in the top-50 prospect. Up to this point Gilbert has only visited Texas once with the trip being back in March when Gilbert was in town for the Overtime 7on7 tournament that was in Round Rock.

— It’s still early in Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei four-star Daryus Dixson’s process but I think Texas could end up being a contender amongst Arizona, Oregon, USC, and Washington. Texas is very much in it for his 2025 teammates Jordon Davison and Marcus Harris and getting Brandon Baker and Spencer Shannon in back to back classes doesn’t hurt either.

— New Iberia (LA) Westgate four-star Jaboree Antoine is going to have a dogfight recruitment, but Texas appears to have as good a shot as anyone. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee and Texas are the main schools of note but the majority of the recent buzz hasn’t included Alabama and has been more of Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, and Texas. Texas having Derek Williams already on the roster is helping them a lot here, as Antoine’s father is the head coach at Westgate and was on several of Williams’ visits to Texas where Jaboree would be brought along as well. Pulling a top prospect out of Louisiana is never easy, but LSU doesn’t seem to be as big a draw to Antoine as it usually is for other prospects that hail from the boot. Spring and summer visits will determine a lot in this recruitment, but for now Texas seems to be in as good a spot as can be. Antoine is scheduled to be at Tennessee on Jan. 20 so that excludes him from Texas’ Junior Day list.

Cobey Sellers (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— I think Texas was in a better spot over the summer for Shadow Creek four-star Cobey Sellers then they currently are now but I still think they’re at or around the top of his list. That’s not to say Texas has done anything wrong, just more schools have gotten involved as Sellers has taken more and more visits. Oklahoma, LSU, Washington, and Georgia are among others that have entered the picture as legitimate candidates. Texas being in position to land Sellers’ teammate and close friend Deuce Williams certainly helps the Longhorns chances as well. He tells Horns247 he’ll be back in Austin on Jan. 20 for the Longhorns junior day and we’ll have more then.

— I think Texas is in a good spot and has been in a good spot since the summer for Caleb Chester but with him being lower on the board I’m not sure exactly how that looks. Arkansas, Houston, Florida State, LSU, Oregon, and Texas A&M are among others involved. I’ll try to dig up more on Chester.

— The younger brother of three-star Oklahoma QB signee Michael Hawkins, Frisco Emerson three-star Maliek Hawkins is expected to follow his brother to Norman. Hawkins’ father (Mike) also played cornerback for Oklahoma and the Sooners have been recruiting both of his sons for several years at this point. Hawkins fits the body type the staff likes, but with all the variables lining up the Sooners’ way I’m not sure how much Texas is going to want to push here. Arkansas and Mississippi State are two others involved but again this has Oklahoma written all over it.

Quick hitters: To my knowledge, Devin Williams, Chris Ewald, and Timothy Merritt have never visited before. Duncanville’s Javion Holiday had interest in Texas at one point but he wasn’t a take in Austin when he committed to SMU a few weeks ago. It’s a major plus that Texas wrapped up the secondary class in 2024 the way they did because 2025 is a down year of in-state secondary talent. With how good the 2024 group is the staff has more room to be selective with their 2025 takes as they’ll be less room in this class for defensive backs. Of the in-state prospects, Micah Strickland, Kade Phillips, and Zay Gentry are three that best fit what Texas usually looks for in corners. I also like Jason Stokes Jr. a lot and he’s right up the road at Pflugerville Weiss.

SAFETY

— DeSoto’s Sael Reyes has an interesting recruitment as he moved down to Texas earlier this year and is half brothers with former Texas A&M and current Jacksonville Jaguars safety Antonio Johnson. The Aggies weren’t included in his top schools list from several months ago but a source told me they’re back to being a contender with the new staff now in place in College Station. Oklahoma and Texas are also involved among others, but the new A&M staff was doing a great job of recruiting Reyes when they were at Duke and now that they’re in College Station I think that’s ultimately where Reyes ends up.

— Tyler Chapel Hill three-star and SMU commit Demetrius Brisbon is listed as an athlete but is getting recruited to play safety at the next level. Brisbon’s commitment to SMU on June 8 came kind of out of nowhere, and in the time since several schools including Texas have been making efforts to flip the East Texan. Getting Brisbon off of his pledge to SMU will be tricky as his close friend and Chapel Hill teammate Rickey Stewart is also committed to the Ponies. Khenon Hall was a huge part of getting both Brisbon and Stewart in the boat at SMU, and now that he’s taken a new role on Baylor’s staff there could potentially be some shake up with Brisbon and Stewart’s commitments but up to this point there’s been no reason to sweat them just yet.

Quick hitters: To my knowledge DJ Pickett, Kainoa Winston, Amari Wallace, Matai Tagoa'i, and Omarion Robinson have never been to Texas. This is another time to circle back to the 2024 defensive back class that Texas signed to remember how stacked it was and that Texas can be very patient and selective to their approach to recruiting defensive backs in 2025. More offers will likely need to be sent out and with the weak in-state defensive back class it’s likely those offers would be getting sent out-of-state.

Need to get those LB studs in Pettijohn and Barnes.  Didn't know Williams may be a MLB risk.  Also sounds like that recruitment may be a rollercoaster.

Hope we can overcome the TCU connection with Williams, he's a stud.

Cherry pick DB after the 24' haul.

Keep stacking DL/EDGE.

"Galveston Ball five-star Jonah Williams is the top-ranked linebacker in the Lone Star State for the class of 2025 and with that being said I think his recruitment is far from finished. Williams is a big fan of the recruiting process and I think he’s going to try to log some miles this offseason with visits all over the nation. Williams also plays all over the field for Galveston Ball and while some happen to think linebacker is the position Williams is best projected for he happens to prefer the safety position and if he could he’d like to go both ways at the next level. I think that could have an effect on his recruitment as schools that will play Williams at whatever he wants will have an advantage over other schools who recruit him to play linebacker. Williams is also a big-time baseball prospect and is being projected as a second to third round pick in the MLB Draft if he were to start his pro baseball career immediately out of high school. According to people close to Williams a decision on choosing baseball or football is far from being made. He’s also giving thought to playing both sports at the collegiate level but again a decision is far from being made. With all the moving parts involved in the recruitment there’s just a long way to go in this one and if I’m being honest I don’t think any school really has a big lead over another. On the same note if you had to ask me to predict the 2025 class for Texas Williams wouldn’t be included."

This kid is a real beast. do want badly.

11 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

"Galveston Ball five-star Jonah Williams is the top-ranked linebacker in the Lone Star State for the class of 2025 and with that being said I think his recruitment is far from finished. Williams is a big fan of the recruiting process and I think he’s going to try to log some miles this offseason with visits all over the nation. Williams also plays all over the field for Galveston Ball and while some happen to think linebacker is the position Williams is best projected for he happens to prefer the safety position and if he could he’d like to go both ways at the next level. I think that could have an effect on his recruitment as schools that will play Williams at whatever he wants will have an advantage over other schools who recruit him to play linebacker. Williams is also a big-time baseball prospect and is being projected as a second to third round pick in the MLB Draft if he were to start his pro baseball career immediately out of high school. According to people close to Williams a decision on choosing baseball or football is far from being made. He’s also giving thought to playing both sports at the collegiate level but again a decision is far from being made. With all the moving parts involved in the recruitment there’s just a long way to go in this one and if I’m being honest I don’t think any school really has a big lead over another. On the same note if you had to ask me to predict the 2025 class for Texas Williams wouldn’t be included."

This kid is a real beast. do want badly.

Please provide a link or context on the author. 

1 hour ago, Leanderman said:

Mr Scruggs link is above.

Use the quote functionality next time, content/context seemed like came out of nowhere. While I'm sure Rain Man could have figured it out, degenerates like me won't be able to make that connection.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, derp said:

Use the quote functionality next time, content/context seemed like came out of nowhere. While I'm sure Rain Man could have figured it out, degenerates derps like me won't be able to make that connection.

fixed it for ya

Four-Star '25 Texas QB commit KJ Lacey sees bright future in Austin
Lacey gave an early commitment to Texas and remains locked in with the Longhorns.
Greg Biggins

Spoiler

Lacey gave an early commitment to Texas and remains locked in with the Longhorns.
Greg Biggins

Texas lost a tough one Monday night but the future looks very bright, the quarterback room is stacked and they already have their ’25 signal caller in the fold.

The class of 2024 just put pen to paper a few weeks ago but recruiting, especially at the quarterback position, has never been more sped up. We’re seeing a lot of quarterbacks in the ’25 class already coming off the board including Saraland (Ala.) junior KJ Lacey.

Lacey committed to the Longhorns back in June following his sophomore year. We had a chance to catch up with Lacey earlier this week in Orlando during one of the Under Armour All-America Game practices.

“It’s good to be out there,” Lacey told us during Sunday’s practice. “I’m hearing to watch and support Ryan (Williams, former HS teammate) and also work out with my 7v7 team, 24K.

“We had a try out so it was good to meet some of the guys. I’m excited to watch Ryan do his thing out here as well. He’s a special player and I know he’s going to kill it at Bama.”

Lacey is coming off a huge junior season that saw him throw for 3,448 yards and 42 touchdowns while completing 69% of his passes. He also rushed for five more scores.

Lacey camped with Texas last summer and committed while on campus.

“There’s a lot of reasons why I chose Texas,” Lacey said. “The opportunity to play for coach Sark (Steve Sarkisian) was definitely a big one. He’s one of the best quarterback coaches and play callers in the country and now one of the best head coaches too.

“I’ve had a chance to be around him and the rest of the staff and I really feel like I can be groomed and developed here. It’s not just coach Sark but coach (AJ) Milwee too, I like the whole staff and Texas feels like home.”

Lacey said along with the camp, he was able to visit Texas another time and also was in attendance for the BYU game.

“I’ve been to Texas three times and I’m really comfortable there,” Lacey said. “Like I said, it feels like home and that was a big reason why I committed pretty early.

“Everything just felt right about Texas. I loved the campus, the staff and the direction the program is going. I’m big on development and I really think that staff can maximize my potential so I’m excited for this opportunity.”

Lacey said he chose the Longhorns over Alabama.

“There were a few other schools involved too but those were my final two,” Lacey said. “After my first visit to Texas, I was sold, I knew that’s where I wanted to be. 

“I still plan to take a few unofficial visits, just for the experience. I’m going to see Bama and Auburn again and I want to visit Oregon too. I’ve never been to Oregon but all of those schools are still making a push.”

Lacey despite the visits, he’s very locked in with his decision.

“I know Texas is where I want to be,” Lacey said. “I’ll never have another chance to experience these visits until I get to college and then it will be when I’m playing against those teams. 

“So I want to enjoy the process, you can only do this once. I don’t have anything set up date wise yet but I’ll likely see those schools in the off-season.”

As for his expectations coming in to Texas, Lacey said he knows the quarterback room is a strong one.

“My mindset is always going to be to come in and compete,” Lacey said. “I know the QB room is good and I’m excited to be able to learn from some of the guys that are there already.

“At the same time, I still want to play as quick as possible. I’m a competitor and always want the opportunity to compete against whoever is there but I’m also excited for the chance to learn and grow as a player as well.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Greg Biggins

Spoiler

Greg Biggins

Texas lost a tough one Monday night but the future looks very bright, the quarterback room is stacked and they already have their ’25 signal caller in the fold.
The class of 2024 just put pen to paper a few weeks ago but recruiting, especially at the quarterback position, has never been more sped up. We’re seeing a lot of quarterbacks in the ’25 class already coming off the board including Saraland (Ala.) junior KJ Lacey.
Lacey committed to the Longhorns back in June following his sophomore year. We had a chance to catch up with Lacey earlier this week in Orlando during one of the Under Armour All-America Game practices.
“It’s good to be out there,” Lacey told us during Sunday’s practice. “I’m hearing to watch and support Ryan (Williams, former HS teammate) and also work out with my 7v7 team, 24K.
“We had a try out so it was good to meet some of the guys. I’m excited to watch Ryan do his thing out here as well. He’s a special player and I know he’s going to kill it at Bama.”
Lacey is coming off a huge junior season that saw him throw for 3,448 yards and 42 touchdowns while completing 69% of his passes. He also rushed for five more scores.
Lacey camped with Texas last summer and committed while on campus.
“There’s a lot of reasons why I chose Texas,” Lacey said. “The opportunity to play for coach Sark (Steve Sarkisian) was definitely a big one. He’s one of the best quarterback coaches and play callers in the country and now one of the best head coaches too.
“I’ve had a chance to be around him and the rest of the staff and I really feel like I can be groomed and developed here. It’s not just coach Sark but coach (AJ) Milwee too, I like the whole staff and Texas feels like home.”
Lacey said along with the camp, he was able to visit Texas another time and also was in attendance for the BYU game.
“I’ve been to Texas three times and I’m really comfortable there,” Lacey said. “Like I said, it feels like home and that was a big reason why I committed pretty early.
“Everything just felt right about Texas. I loved the campus, the staff and the direction the program is going. I’m big on development and I really think that staff can maximize my potential so I’m excited for this opportunity.”
Lacey said he chose the Longhorns over Alabama.
“There were a few other schools involved too but those were my final two,” Lacey said. “After my first visit to Texas, I was sold, I knew that’s where I wanted to be. 
“I still plan to take a few unofficial visits, just for the experience. I’m going to see Bama and Auburn again and I want to visit Oregon too. I’ve never been to Oregon but all of those schools are still making a push.”
Lacey despite the visits, he’s very locked in with his decision.
“I know Texas is where I want to be,” Lacey said. “I’ll never have another chance to experience these visits until I get to college and then it will be when I’m playing against those teams. 
“So I want to enjoy the process, you can only do this once. I don’t have anything set up date wise yet but I’ll likely see those schools in the off-season.”
As for his expectations coming in to Texas, Lacey said he knows the quarterback room is a strong one.
“My mindset is always going to be to come in and compete,” Lacey said. “I know the QB room is good and I’m excited to be able to learn from some of the guys that are there already.
“At the same time, I still want to play as quick as possible. I’m a competitor and always want the opportunity to compete against whoever is there but I’m also excited for the chance to learn and grow as a player as well.”

No mention of Auburn, lets ask the tough questions or GTFO.

Current Jan 20th Junior Day list from Gerry

Spoiler

Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (Fla.) Eau Gallie
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 284
Committed to Texas: December 19

Anthony Williams, LB, Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 417
Committed to Texas: January 1

Jordon Davison, RB, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 41 (4-star)
Notes: Texas has been considered the favorite throughout the season. Ohio State, Alabama and USC are the contenders of note. 

Cobey Sellers, CB, Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 159 (4-star)
Most recent offer: Georgia December 19th
Notes: Texas and Oklahoma out in front of Georgia, Penn State, Oregon and Baylor.

Jacorey Watson, WR, Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 200 (4-star)
Offers: 15, including 12 Power 5’s.
Notes: A recruitment Texas will win if they make big push. LSU and Oregon also worthy of mention. 

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 198 (4-star)
Most recent offer: USC December 7th
Note: Texas ended December considered the slight favorite over USC and Texas Tech.

Zion Williams, DL, Lufkin (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 273 (4-star)
Most recent visit: Was in Austin for the Texas Tech game. He made the visit with his mother.

Nick Townsend, TE/LB, Spring (Texas) Dekaney
On3 Industry Ranking: N/R (4-star ranking by 247Sports and Rivals)
Other Junior day visits: Texas A&M January 21
December offers: Texas, USC, Tulsa, Alabama, Florida, Notre Dame

Kade Phillips, S/DB, Missouri City (Texas) Hightower
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 315 (4-star)
Offers: 17, including 13 Power 5’s. 
SEC offers: Texas A&M, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss

Jonte Newman, OT, Cypress (Texas) Bridgeland
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 342 (4-star)
Offers: 12, including 11 Power 5’s. 
SEC offers: Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Missouri.

Emmanuel Choice, WR, Lancaster (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 422
December offers: Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, Texas, Texas A&M
Notes: Texas and Oklahoma the top two when by the school ate in the season. 

Xavier Ukponu, DL, Denton (Texas) Guyer
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 597
Offers: 19, including 14 power 5’s
Notes: 31 tackles and six tackles for loss in 2023.

Carmello Brooks, DL, Katy (Texas) Paetow
On3 Industry Ranking: N/R
Offers of note: Missouri and Texas
Of note: Closing in on 270 pounds. Was 250-255 a year ago

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:34 AM, Hookem2147 said:

Current Jan 20th Junior Day list from Gerry

Reveal hidden contents

Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (Fla.) Eau Gallie
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 284
Committed to Texas: December 19

Anthony Williams, LB, Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 417
Committed to Texas: January 1

Jordon Davison, RB, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 41 (4-star)
Notes: Texas has been considered the favorite throughout the season. Ohio State, Alabama and USC are the contenders of note. 

Cobey Sellers, CB, Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 159 (4-star)
Most recent offer: Georgia December 19th
Notes: Texas and Oklahoma out in front of Georgia, Penn State, Oregon and Baylor.

Jacorey Watson, WR, Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 200 (4-star)
Offers: 15, including 12 Power 5’s.
Notes: A recruitment Texas will win if they make big push. LSU and Oregon also worthy of mention. 

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 198 (4-star)
Most recent offer: USC December 7th
Note: Texas ended December considered the slight favorite over USC and Texas Tech.

Zion Williams, DL, Lufkin (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 273 (4-star)
Most recent visit: Was in Austin for the Texas Tech game. He made the visit with his mother.

Nick Townsend, TE/LB, Spring (Texas) Dekaney
On3 Industry Ranking: N/R (4-star ranking by 247Sports and Rivals)
Other Junior day visits: Texas A&M January 21
December offers: Texas, USC, Tulsa, Alabama, Florida, Notre Dame

Kade Phillips, S/DB, Missouri City (Texas) Hightower
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 315 (4-star)
Offers: 17, including 13 Power 5’s. 
SEC offers: Texas A&M, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss

Jonte Newman, OT, Cypress (Texas) Bridgeland
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 342 (4-star)
Offers: 12, including 11 Power 5’s. 
SEC offers: Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Missouri.

Emmanuel Choice, WR, Lancaster (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 422
December offers: Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, Texas, Texas A&M
Notes: Texas and Oklahoma the top two when by the school ate in the season. 

Xavier Ukponu, DL, Denton (Texas) Guyer
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 597
Offers: 19, including 14 power 5’s
Notes: 31 tackles and six tackles for loss in 2023.

Carmello Brooks, DL, Katy (Texas) Paetow
On3 Industry Ranking: N/R
Offers of note: Missouri and Texas
Of note: Closing in on 270 pounds. Was 250-255 a year ago

5 new additions from Gerry

Tanook Hines, WR, Spring (Texas) Dekaney – *January 5 addition
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 261 (4-star)
December offers: USC, Baylor and Notre Dame 
Notes: Texas should win this recruitment if they make a big push. Hines will play both wide receiver and safety as a senior.

Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville (Texas) High – *January 5th addition
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 14 (5-star)
Note: Texas and Oklahoma considered top two with Alabama, Texas A&M and many others giving chase.

John Mills, IOL, San Fransisco (Calif.) St. Ignatius College Preparatory – *January 5th addition
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 563
Notes: Texas, Michigan and Washington are the top three. The January 20 visit will be the third in less than a year by Mills and family. There are a lot of athletic family ties to the University of Washington.

Ryan Fodje, OT, Cypress (Texas) Bridgeland – *January 5th addition
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 384 (3-star)
Offers: 7, all Power 5’s.
SEC offers: Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Tennessee. Texas A&M offered December 30.

Floyd Guidry, Spring (Texas) High – *January 5 addition
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 552
Offers of note: Texas, Texas Tech and Pittsburgh
Notes: 47 tackles, 26 tackles for loss and six sacks in 2023. Look for Guidry to ascend in future rankings.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Talked with a HS friend....apparently he's only played football 3 years and they have him laser timed under 5 forty

I think Flood has been on him for a while. It’s been mentioned Texas and OU are his top 2. Hard not to feel good about that when you see how Bedenbaugh has been recruiting.