Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

1 hour ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:
Quite a few busts on that list. 

Odd that Hassan Ridgeway earned more than Malcom Brown. Guess that shows 4th round vs 1st isn't that different depending on how things go.

He didn't, I don't want to fact check the whole list, but MBs career earnings are over 20M alone. And MB is still in the league and just signed another contract.

1 hour ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:
Quite a few busts on that list. 

Odd that Hassan Ridgeway earned more than Malcom Brown. Guess that shows 4th round vs 1st isn't that different depending on how things go.

Sportrac has Brown at over 23 million earned. He got FA deals from both NO and JAX

2 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

He didn't, I don't want to fact check the whole list, but MBs career earnings are over 20M alone. And MB is still in the league and just signed another contract.

That’s quite a charge. Everyone knows LSU accounting is always on the up and up.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Bigpoppapump said:

MB did just sign a contract, but it was one to become the head football coach for a private high school in Austin.

So LSU's PR dept (or whoever did that thing) screwed themselves. That calls into question all the numbers imo. Guess it really doesn't matter unless recruits start fact checking, which I don't imagine to be a huge issue.
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I remember all the Glenn Dorsey hype from LSU people.  And being laughed at when I said I see almost no difference between him and Frank Okam.

Yep, I remember that. I was the same as you.  KC was like "yeah, I love losing money. Let's get that fat guy who looks slow as shit."

15 hours ago, MajorTexas said:

What’s your favorite era of the dead?

That is a tough, TOUGH question. Leaving out stuff that's not technically from "that era" (like the Misfits, George Clinton, Sonic Youth, Minor Threat, the Descendants, Jawbreaker, Screeching Weasel (before Ben Weasel hit a girl, anyway), Arrested Development (the music group AND the show, actually) etc.)  I was really into a lot of different stuff. I loved the Murder City Devils, Cursive, Explosions in the Sky, the Toadies, Grandaddy, the Desaparecidos, the Appleseed Cast, Captain Jazz, Metric, the Faint, Stars, the Roots, Weezer, Belle & Sebastian, Modest Mouse, Sunny Day Real Estate, Reggie and the Full Effect, the Get Up Kids (and the New Amsterdams), Alkaline Trio, AFI, Against Me!, Outkast, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Rancid/Op Ivy , Smashing Pumpkins, the Postal Services (although I was never a huge Deathcab fan), the Silversun Pickups...

I could go on and on and on - and I was lucky enough to get to see most of those Acts while I was in school. Even though Austin was definitely starting to change for the worse back then, it was still nothing like it is now. We got a LOT of great acts coming through to play small, intimate venues, which was always awesome. Now that I'm an old (even an occasionally drug soaked one), I have no idea if that's still the case

Anyway, it's really hard to pick a favorite. I guess I can say that Cursive and Alkaline Trio particularly resonated with me back then even though, musically speaking, Alkaline Trio really wasn't anything special. Then, when bands likes the National, Frightened Rabbit, and We Were Promised Jetpacks came along just a little bit later (missed Frightened Rabbit's first SXSW shows - it was a promo for their real show that they did at the old Urban Outfitters of all places in 2006 -  by like 15 minutes. I must've walked by to visit my then-gf/now-wife at work while they were getting set up. This was at least close to "that era" I guess. It was after I'd graduated and before I'd heard of them but I would've been hooked immediately. Then, after I had been really into them for years, I couldn't make their last shows in Texas in 2017 or 2018 because I was at a work conference out of state and Scott Hutchison killed himself like 4 months later. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:19 AM, Vermin said:

Is Ozempic approved for children yet?

Is Ozempic going to give him vastly better athleticism? I hate that he's not a take despite clearly loving us so much but sometimes that's just the way it goes. 

I like Bo Davis, but the truth is he really sucks at recruiting, but he develops well. I think literally almost any D-line coach could recruit better than him, but it's the development I'm worried about. I think Baker can do it. We seem to be getting more D-linemen interested. If he can do something with Collins, Broughton, Savea, January, and (this would be a miracle) Michell, Bryant, and Bledsoe, and hopefully a portal guy, then we're cooking. 

South Note on Brandon Brown visit

Brown and his family left campus at 7:30 this evening to head to Houston for the 5on5 tournament tomorrow. This was their first trip to Austin.

From Brown's mom, Niesha Hill: "Definitely liked it. Brandon loved it. He said he really wasn't expecting that."

Would love for him to have followed up on what he wasn't expecting from the school he is committed to but maybe too much to expect

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

400 pounder is off the board 

There will be at least 450 posts between now and signing day on the $9.95er boards lamenting the loss of “this young man” to some damned carpetbagger. One post for each pound Syracuse is adding to their roster with “this young man”.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Texas 2025 Best Class Scenario: March 24 edition (Sunday 7:39 a.m. CST) - Gerry

Spoiler

Texas 2025 Best Class Scenario: March 24 edition

It's time for the latest edition of the Best Class Scenario for the 2025 class. 

The Texas Longhorns are in search of a fourth straight top 5 ranked recruiting class. Based on the 30 plus prospects that have scheduled official visits, and the remainder expected to announces visit date, Texas has at least a 50-50 shot at reaching the 

There are 29 names currently on the list with a combination of 24-25 creating a near lock scenario for a fourth straight top 5 class. There is one newcomer to the list on the defensive side of the ball. This list will shift and move once the March and April unofficial visitor returns are known.

*Note: This list is my opinion on the BCS for 2025.

Quarterback (1)

K.J. Lacey, Saraland (Ala.) High #AllGasNoBrakes
Recruiting Ranking: OnTexasFootball 4-star
The competition: Ole Miss and Auburn

Running back (1-2)

Jordon Davison, RB, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
The competition: Ohio State, Alabama and Oregon

Rickey Stewart, RB, Tyler (Texas) Chapel Hill
The competition: Baylor, SMU and Oklahoma State

Wide receiver (3-4)

Dakorien Moore, Duncanville (Texas) High - *LSU commit
Recruiting Ranking:
 OnTexasFootball 5-star
Note: Texas will recruit the LSU pledge #throughthewhistle. 

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock (Texas) High
The competition: USC, Texas Tech and Texas A&M

Kaliq Lockett, WR, Sachse (Texas) High
The competition: LSU, USC, Ohio State and Texas A&M

Jaime Ffrench, WR, Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin
The competition: Ohio State, Florida State, Miami and Alabama

Tight end (2)

Nick Townsend, TE, Spring (Texas) Dekaney
The competition: Texas A&M, USC, Arizona State and Notre Dame

Emaree Winston, TE, Calhoun (Ga.) High #AllGasNoBrakes

Offensive line (5)

Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville (Texas) High
Recruiting Ranking: OnTexasFootball 5-star
The competition: Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Oregon and Missouri

Jonte Newman, OT, Cypress (Texas) Bridgeland
The competition: Texas A&M, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ole Miss and Mississippi State

Tyler Thomas, IOL, Dickinson (Texas) High
Recruiting Ranking: OnTexasFootball 3-star
The competition: Texas A&M and LSU

John Mills, IOL, San Francisco (Calif.) St. Ignatius
The competition: Washington, USC, Michigan and Florida

Jackson Christian, IOL, Port Niches (Texas) PN-G
The competition: Texas A&M

Defensive line (4)

Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (Fla.) Eau Gallie #AllGasNoBrakes
The competition: USC, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Miami and Tennessee

Zion Williams, DL, Lufkin (Texas) high
The competition: LSU, Texas A&M and TCU

Josiah Sharma, DL, Folsom (Calif.) Folsom
The competition: Alabama, Oregon, Washington, Georgia and Utah

Chace Sims, DL, Richmond (Texas) Randle
The competition: Texas A&M, LSU, TCU and SMU

EDGE (2-3)

Lance Jackson, Texarkana (Texas) Pleasant Grove #AllGasNoBrakes
The competition: MLB Draft 2025

Hayden Lowe, Westlake Village (Calif.) Oaks Christian - *New addition March 24
The competition: Miami (Fla), Ohio State, USC, Oregon, Notre Dame

Linebacker (3-4)

Riley Pettijohn, McKinney (Texas) High
The competition: USC, Ohio State, Florida State, Auburn and Texas A&M

Elijah Barnes, Dallas (Texas) Skyline
The competition: Florida State, Nebraska, Ohio State, SMU and Texas A&M

Anthony Williams, Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek #AllGasNoBrakes
Recruiting Ranking: OnTexasFootball 3-star

Matai Tagoa'i, San Clemente (Calif.) High
The competition: Washington, Utah, USC and Oregon

Defensive back (3-4)

Dorian Brew, CB, Conroe (Texas) High
The competition: LSU, Ohio State, USC, Michigan and Texas A&M

Kade Phillips, S, Missouri City (Texas) Hightower
The competition: LSU and Texas A&M

Jonah Williams, S, Galveston (Texas) Ball High
The competition: Oklahoma (leader), LSU, Ohio State and Texas A&M

Cobey Sellers, CB, Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek
The competition: Oklahoma (leader) and Texas A&M

Adonyss Currie, CB, Lancaster (Calif.) Quartz Hill
The competition: Washington, Utah, Miami, Texas A&M and Oregon.

In the comments:

Who does Texas lead for headed into April IMO...

Ricky Stewart, Jordon Davison, Kaliq Lockett, John Mills, Elijah Barnes, Matai Tagoa'i, Riley Pettijohn (slightly) and Kade Phillips.

Texas is right there for Fasusi, but that is real battle. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Like 1

Stampede

It was a busy weekend for the Horns247 recruiting staff as it's the heat of the offseason with seemingly every weekend being filled up by showcases to 7on7 to everything in between. 

Horns247 was in Houston on Saturday for the Battle Houston 7on7 tournament before making the trip to Austin to catch the Elite 11 Austin regional at Westlake High School. 

Throughout the weekend Horns247's Hank South and Jordan Scruggs spoke with a dozen plus prospects and various sources to get the latest on the Texas recruiting front.

KJ Lacey, QB, Sarland (AL) — Texas commit 

Texas quarterback commit KJ Lacey flew to Austin this weekend to take part in the Elite 11 Regional at Westlake High School. It was somewhat of a last-minute decision, but Lacey’s mother tells Horns247 it was important to her son to come and compete in Austin, as it’s his future home. The Saraland (Ala.) standout, donning a nice, shiny Longhorn necklace, earned an invite to the Elite 11 Finals this summer after his performance. He’ll watch Texas practice on Monday morning, before returning on April 6 and then again for the spring game on April 20. Lacey reaffirmed his pledge with Texas after competing, and says he remains very happy with his choice. Auburn and Ole Miss remain the other two programs still in contact with him, but Lacey currently has no plans in place to officially visit Oxford or the Plains. Of course those could be set in the future, but for now Lacey’s focus appears solely on Texas. Another interesting tidbit — in recent weeks it’s become more evident that the Longhorns are looking to take a second quarterback in the class from a numbers perspective. Lacey says he is not deterred by that and welcomes the competition. In fact, he was competing with the other signal caller Texas is looking at in SMU commit Keelon Russell on Sunday. Bottom line: all is well with the Longhorns and Lacey. — South

Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (FL) Eau Gallie — Texas commit

Speaking of defensive linemen, Texas commit Brandon Brown embarked on his maiden voyage to Austin on Friday prior to a 5on5 tournament in Houston over the weekend, and it appears the Longhorns knocked it out of the park. “Definitely liked it,” Brown’s mother, Niesha Hill, said. “Brandon loved it. He said he really wasn't expecting that.” Brown committed to Texas under defensive line coach Bo Davis, not to mention sight unseen, so there have been questions as to how solid the Florida native’s pledge is in the wake of Davis leaving for LSU. For now, it appears he’s pretty solid after spending a good chunk of Friday on campus, touring, and connecting with new defensive line coach Kenny Baker. Brown didn’t leave Austin until 7:30 p.m., which was over two hours longer than he was scheduled to be there for. Programs like USC, Tennessee, Florida, LSU, among others, are going to stay in the mix, but Texas helped itself in its efforts to hang on to the standout lineman for now. — South

Keelon Russell, QB, Duncanville — SMU commit

Speaking of Russell, the four-star SMU commit had a strong showing at Elite 11 on Sunday as well, also earning an invite to the Elite 11 Finals this summer. He’s still locked in for an unofficial visit to Texas for the spring game on April 20, where it seems like UT will offer. Russell says the staff is waiting on spending time with him in person to see his leadership and character qualities, because the talent and tape is there. Russell admits that an offer from Texas could shake things up, and he, too, is not concerned with the competition aspect of coming in with a guy like the aforementioned Lacey. Still, Russell is getting a lot of looks from programs across the country to come in and be the guy, which is being taken into consideration as well. It’s clear Texas is the dream offer, though. So it will be interesting to see that unfold if it materializes on April 20. Russell has an upcoming official visit to Ole Miss and mentioned Alabama reached out to him this week as well. — South 

Lamont Rogers, OT, Mesquite Horn

Texas continues to make up ground in the recruitment of Top247 Mesquite Horn offensive tackle Lamont Rogers. Originally out of the mix, the Longhorns have found themselves back in contention for the nation’s No. 103 overall prospect and largely due to the efforts of recently rehired special assistant to the head coach Chris Gilbert and director of high school relations Jahmal Fenner. Kyle Flood and offensive line assistant Derron Gatewood are both obviously involved as well, as is Steve Sarkisian, but again, most of the credit should be given to Gilbert and Fenner as the two have put serious work into this recruitment with the pair’s deep ties to the Mesquite Horn coaching staff. After visiting for the Junior Day on Jan. 20, Rogers’ next time in Austin will be Mar. 29 when he makes the trip down for his second unofficial visit of the spring. Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, and Texas A&M continue to be the group of contenders for Rogers, with Missouri and Texas A&M being viewed as the main competition in my eyes. — Scruggs

Ethan Utley, DL, Nashville (TN) Ensworth 

Horns247 reported on Friday that we do not believe Top247 defensive lineman Ethan Utley will choose Texas when he announces his commitment this upcoming Thursday, March 28. That remains the belief as we enter the week. Tennessee or Michigan look to be the more likely pick as it stands. The Longhorns have had conversations with the Nashville native but are not yet pressing to land the 6-foot-4, 270-pounder. Utley worked out at the All 22 camp in Austin on Sunday, but did not make his way over to Texas for an unofficial visit if that tells you anything else. There’s been a little more Wolverines chatter lately, but it’s hard to look past the in-state Vols, too. Either way, we would be surprised if Texas is the pick on Thursday. — South

Mark Bowman, TE, Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei, 2027

Bound to eventually be ranked as one of the top prospects in the 2027 class, Texas is in an incredible spot early on for the 6-foot-5, 220 pounder. Bowman’s father originally hails from the Austin area, and while Mark grew up in Denver before moving out to LA to start his prep career at Mater Dei, he was raised by his father to pull for the Longhorns from an early age. Also of note, Bowman showed me several photos of him as a child either rocking burnt orange or flashing the Hook’Em hand signal with a smile on his face. While on campus on Friday, Bowman, along with Linkon Cure and Top247 Georgia TE commit Ethan Barbour had a sit down meeting with Jeff Banks where the four went over Texas’ scheme and use of the tight end before Bowman and his parents sat down in Sark’s office for a conversation with a head coach. It’s not normal for 2027 prospects and their parents to meet with the head coach of a program while on a visit, but it shows you how much the Longhorns are already prioritizing Bowman. Bowman is on pace to be a top 100 type of prospect and has already collected a dozen offers with at least a dozen more set to come his way. That said, it’s incredibly valuable in the long run that Texas was able to absolutely crush his first ever visit to campus. It’s obviously extremely early in the process for Bowman, but I strongly feel like Texas will at least be a hat on the table when it comes time for Bowman to settle down and make a decision years from now. — Scruggs

Byron Washington, OT, DeSoto/Floyd Guidry, DL, Spring 

We saw two in-state names that have been connected with Texas commit elsewhere over the weekend. DeSoto offensive tackle Bryon Washington to Syracuse and Spring defensive lineman Floyd Guidry III to TCU. Washington has been intrigued with Texas for a while, but did not sit as high on UT’s wishlist as he likely did for the Orange. It could still be worth watching if the Longhorns circle back later in the process, and proximity to home factors in towards signing day. The same could be said for Guidry, who was offered under Bo Davis but still had heavy interest in the Longhorns. If Texas presses for him into the fall, we’ll see if he gets second thoughts on the Horned Frogs. — South

Linkon Cure, TE, Goodland (KS)

Cure has three official visits set to see Kansas State, Oregon, and Penn State. Outside of those three programs, Cure also seems to be high on Texas A&M as he mentioned he’s working on setting up an official trip to College Station. Thought of as a Kansas State lean, the Aggies have found themselves in the mix largely in part due to Cure’s long standing relationship with offensive coordinator Collin Klein who was hired from the Kansas State staff this current offseason. Friday was Cure’s first time ever on the Forty Acres and he told the media that he’d like to return for another unofficial before booking an official. While that may seem positive, I’m not sure if it’ll actually happen as Cure’s schedule is filled with track and 7on7 and he’s hoping to make a summer decision after June official visits. Kansas State continues to set the pace for the nation’s No. 2 tight end prospect. — Scruggs

Keisean Henderson, ATH, Legacy the School of Sports Sciences, 2026

Henderson will easily be one of the most intriguing recruitments to track in the 2026 cycle. At 6-foot-3, 190 pounds Henderson plays quarterback at his high school but is a bona fide top 100 prospect at either receiver or safety. The large majority of his offers are for receiver, though Henderson prefers to continue playing quarterback. That said, Baylor and Houston are in decent spots early on as they’re recruiting Henderson under the “athlete” umbrella where his hope is to play QB in college rather than recruiting Henderson as a receiver like most other schools. In talking with Henderson and those in and around his circle, I get the sense Texas would be very dangerous if Henderson ever came around to the idea of sticking to receiver at the next level, but on the same note, its clear Henderson wants to continue playing the quarterback position. — Scruggs

Noah Mikhail, LB, La Verne (CA) Bonita

In talking with Mikhail it was pretty evident that Texas is on the outside looking in. Whether it was Jeff Choate or Johnny Nansen coaching ‘backers at Texas, the Longhorns have never really prioritized Mikhail, or at least to the degree that Riley Pettijohn and/or Elijah Barnes have been prioritized. As of late however, the contact from the burnt orange has been even more sparse with several other programs like Oregon, Texas A&M, and USC amongst others seeming to be the main group of contenders. Instead of rolling with California Power to the Forty Acres for a visit on Friday, Mikhail was in College Station all day Thursday and Friday before returning with the California Power program to College Station on Saturday afternoon. — Scruggs

Sael Reyes, S, DeSoto

Based off my conversation with Reyes on Saturday, the contact level between Texas safeties coach Blake Gideon and Reyes seems to be higher than it’s ever been. That said, Texas A&M continues to hold the upper hand on every other program involved due to Reyes’ deep relationships in College Station as his older brother is former Aggie safety and Jacksonville Jaguars 2023 fifth round pick Antonio Johnson. Texas A&M head coach Mike Elko recruited Reyes’ brother to College Station years ago, and now it seems likely he’ll do it again with Reyes. — Scruggs

Travis Smith Jr., WR, Atlanta (GA) Westlake

Smith was another member of the California Power program that tripped to Texas on Friday. I spoke with Smith Saturday morning at the tournament, and while he only had good things to say about the Longhorns and his short and first time on the Forty Acres, he was nice enough to be honest with me and tell me he’s locked into the four schools of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and Tennessee and that he won’t be giving Texas true consideration going forward. 

I didn’t end up talking with Top247 Georgia TE commit Ethan Barbour, but in talking with people in the California Power program it seems like it’d be near impossible for any school to get him off of his Georgia commitment. — Scruggs

• Hook 'Em 5

I'm having a hard time reading between the lines about what's going on at QB. Lacey and Russell both say the right things about being in a 2-man class but that seems pretty far fetched in this day and age. So you'd say OK, maybe Russell is just the Lacey insurance policy. But if anything, the latest updates on Lacey indicate a guy that's getting more solid, not less. Not to mention that they're different players - Russell is significantly bigger and much more of a running threat. Russell's tape looks pretty legit to me. No offense to SMU, but I think he's destined for bigger and better things, whether it's us or someone else.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's not that complicated.

Lacey is committed, so it's fair to say the staff like him a lot compared with other options. He's also a QB prospect from a region where talent rarely leaves. If you honestly think he could be your QB of the future when given the chance to take his commitment, you take it, and with it, the opportunity to influence his visits.

Russell is an ascending, in-state QB prospect with a prototype build and big arm. While he's very familiar to Sark and Milwee (from recruiting Simmons and Dakorien Moore), we already chose Lacey over Russell when the staff offered Lacey.

With that context, choosing to recruit Russell now shows they've watched his development and can more confidently project his growth into something they want to work with. He's not nearly as polished of a thrower, but Russell's ceiling is significantly higher than Lacey's, even in Sark's offense. Also, Dakorien Moore. 

Imo, we sign both. If anything, the portal gives more reason to join a 2 QB class, not less. Out of high school, you can choose where you think gives you the best opportunity to be developed. When you fail to win the starting job, you find an ideal offense with an opening at QB. Literally the best of both worlds. 

Even if we don't sign both, what do we lose if Lacey bounces? A generational prospect? No. The chance to land Ryan Williams? No. We lose a good QB prospect, but that's it. Choosing not to recruit Russell creates more downside risk than losing Lacey. Imagine impacting your relationships at Duncanville, Dakorien Moore, THSCA, etc over trying to keep KJ Lacey committed. Malpractice. 

Interestingly, OTF discussed that this morning. 

OTF reported Russell "pretty much told CJ Vogel" that he wasn't interested in being part of a 2-man QB class, and Gerry Hamilton agreed with him.

Found where they discussed it:

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Notes from Gerry today:

They expect DL Josiah Sharma on campus this weekend and to follow with an OV.

https://www.on3.com/db/josiah-sharma-180924/

OL Nick Brooks is scheduled to talk with Flood this week to finalize an OV, likely June 14th-16th.  Expected to be at the spring game.

https://www.on3.com/db/nick-brooks-150033/

DL D.J. Sanders is expected to visit April 6th and also an OV June 21st-23rd.

https://www.on3.com/db/dj-sanders-154852/