Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

JFC, man. This does not apply to QBs at all. Good QBs regularly play into the late thirties these days, so rushing to the second contract doesn’t matter. 

If anything, it’s the opposite for QBs. They get rushed into playing in the NFL, so having an extra year of playing and developing in college helps them be ready to succeed and maximize their earnings. 

Get to your second contract as a QB then use your 3rd and 4th contract to be a highly paid QB2. The Colt/Brissett/Tyrod/Daniel route seems like the best career path for a QB especially if you're not an elite all pro caliber. 

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a really good and relevant point in the context of Arch Manning’s career plans. Thank you for your contribution. 

I have translated this from the original Lawyer for everyone else:

AQ9f.gif

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, utfan87 said:

Gotta disagree with you on Ewers he came back because of the consistency or lack thereof last season. Also, the qb draft class next year much weaker. 

Why not both?

Ive heard Bobby say back in November that the 25 college starts for QBs is a known marker of NFL success and the Ewers family would be factoring that into his NFL decision 

2 hours ago, TheRRKid said:

Why not both?

Ive heard Bobby say back in November that the 25 college starts for QBs is a known marker of NFL success and the Ewers family would be factoring that into his NFL decision 

Because he wouldn’t have been a 1st rd guy had he come out 

6 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

They’re talking about JJ fucking McCarthy being the number 2 pick.  Quinn would’ve been a mid 1st round guy after the combine. 

Show me a game last year where JJ self-sacked or looked a little off. 

I don’t think that JJ is going to be a great QB, but he was much steadier than Quinn and not injury prone.

I don’t see any draft pattern that ha had Quinn going in the first round this year. Too many question marks  

I would think that he would be on the back end of the Nix/Penix grouping at best. 

If he played every week like he did against Alabama (both years minus the injury), then he would be a Top 4 pick. But he didn’t. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a really good and relevant point in the context of Arch Manning’s career plans. Thank you for your contribution. 

I know you're talking shit but this is an interesting graphic about second contract and QB's with team they were drafted by.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Show me a game last year where JJ self-sacked or looked a little off. 

I don’t think that JJ is going to be a great QB, but he was much steadier than Quinn and not injury prone.

I don’t see any draft pattern that ha had Quinn going in the first round this year. Too many question marks  

I would think that he would be on the back end of the Nix/Penix grouping at best. 

If he played every week like he did against Alabama (both years minus the injury), then he would be a Top 4 pick. But he didn’t. 

I don’t disagree.  But you’re looking at it waaaay too logically for NFL thinking/ego.  

Quinn is a former 5*, 1.000 rated recruit that took Texas to the playoff for the first time ever.  At the combine/pro day, he would’ve thrown well, tested decent and would’ve caught the eye of someone.   

You might be right.  But you, just like I, have seen recent guys like Trubisky, Manziel, Brandon Weeden, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, Mac Jones, Daniel Jones and even further back guys like Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, Tim Tebow get taken 1st round. 

Daniel Jones last year at Duke - 237/392, 60%, 2674 yards, 22 TDs, 9 INTs in 11 games.  6th overall pick. 

Trubisky’s last NC year - 304/447, 68%, 3748, 30 TDs and 6 INTs

Quinn last year for reference - 272/394, 69%, 3479, 22 TDS, 6 INTs

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck it.  Let’s talk here about Taaffe as a safety. 

academics at Stanford vs Us 

charleston recruiting 

if Blake Gideon didn’t drop it 

if Colt wasn’t injured.  

weather in the Pacific Northwest 

• Rage+1 1

- Gerry says he has Dakorien Moore @ 51% to Texas, and then adds - quite seriously - he could "go to 52% or 53%"

- Bobby's reaction, when he hears that, is ... all of us 😂  😂  😂 

image.thumb.png.751a8e50ae323e0504fce6b7fc476d51.png

- Also, Bobby said that as of now, none of Guilbeau, Barron or Jordan is expected to enter the portal

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- Gerry says he has Dakorien Moore @ 51% to Texas, and then adds - quite seriously - he could "go to 52% or 53%"

- Also, Bobby said that as of now, none of Guilbeau, Barron or Jordan is expected to enter the portal

Taxes Calculator GIF by truTV’s Those Who Can’t

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

JFC, man. This does not apply to QBs at all. Good QBs regularly play into the late thirties these days, so rushing to the second contract doesn’t matter. 

If anything, it’s the opposite for QBs. They get rushed into playing in the NFL, so having an extra year of playing and developing in college helps them be ready to succeed and maximize their earnings. 

were not going to agree here, and that's ok.

SOME QBs make it. if you look at QBs taken in the first round from 2009-2018 the hit rate was 38% (11/29 hit a second contract)

QBs, of everyone, should rush to the second contract because that makes them more likely to hit a third.

247 Top100 QB Keelon Russell talks weekend visit to Texas

AUSTIN, Texas — A multi-sport athlete, four-star quarterback and SMU commit Keelon Russell had track obligations this past Saturday in Waco, helping the Duncanville 4x400 team qualify for state. That, of course, interfered with his ability to attend Texas' spring game, but the Top100 passer still made his way down I-35 on Saturday night to spend time on the Forty Acres.

"You know, I most definitely would say the coaches, the relationship they've built with me," he said of what he enjoyed. "All of them saying they love me, love my game and all of that. They love how athletic I am as a quarterback and stuff. It was just amazing getting down there and meeting with Coach Sark, one of the greatest to ever do it."

Russell didn't leave with an offer, but one could come eventually.

"They really just said to be patient," Russell said.

Not receiving an offer isn't deterring Russell from considering the program in the future.

"They wouldn't have started recruiting me if they didn't want me to go to the school," he said. "They just said it's going to take a little patience.

"It stung me for a little bit but I already knew what the reality was, them having a commit already. I knew it was probably going to be different than going down to like Florida and getting an offer or Texas A&M. I wasn't too worried about it."

Russell watched Texas' spring game highlights on his own.

"I got to watch a lot of Arch Manning," he said. "He had an amazing spring game. Trey Owens had an amazing spring game as well. Really excited to see what they're going to do this year."

Russell will be at Ole Miss this weekend on an official visit, SMU May 17-19 and Florida June 7-9. He said he has a Houston OV planned in June as well, but it will likely be rescheduled.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Good. Id have taken Austin Jordan over what Ive seen from Brooks regardless. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I read this thread and listen to coffee and football, but otherwise don't know shit.  From that vantage point, it feels like we have a plan and are executing for all positions except for DB.  Am I wrong?

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens here. This is a big offer for him, especially with it being from DeBoer. I don't really want Lacey over Russell at this point. This isn't even about Moore's chances potentially increasing with Russell in the boat. Russell is more athletic and has higher upside. I want that type of recruit in what is already such a healthy QB room.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yesh said:

From that vantage point, it feels like we have a plan and are executing for all positions except for DB.  Am I wrong?

So far, we're sending unwanted players into the portal. I haven't heard of any executions as of yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Yesh said:

I read this thread and listen to coffee and football, but otherwise don't know shit.  From that vantage point, it feels like we have a plan and are executing for all positions except for DB.  Am I wrong?

Brian Kelly, is that you? 

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

His tape is good. He’s a mean motherfucker. 

He's still 16 years old, too. The kind you sign, redshirt him, put him in the strength program for a couple of years, let him work his ass off,  take him out of the oven, and see what you have.

• Hook 'Em 1

The least correlated rankings to actual collegiate performance and NFL draft picks are on the OL, with IOL being worse than OTs. I look at the schools fighting over this guy versus his ranking and then compare it to someone like TJ Shanahan, the polar opposite situation, and kind of roll my eyes. Last I heard, Texas really wants this guy. 

I've never been a big "trust the coaches" guy when it comes to recruiting, but there's something similar that I've been following for years now when it comes specifically to the LOS. Who is Texas competing with for any of their DT, OT, C or OG targets? If the competition consists of programs and/or staffs putting guys in the NFL and regularly in the playoffs, okay, good, that's a strong sign that a low ranking can be ignored and a high ranking is confirmed. If that isn't the case, your program is heading towards late-stage Mack and could wind up careening towards Tom Herman/Derek Warehime/Herb Hand catastrophe.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I've never been a big "trust the coaches" guy when it comes to recruiting, but there's something similar that I've been following for years now when it comes specifically to the LOS. Who is Texas competing with for any of their DT, OT, C or OG targets? If the competition consists of programs and/or staffs putting guys in the NFL and regularly in the playoffs, okay, good, that's a strong sign that a low ranking can be ignored and a high ranking is confirmed. If that isn't the case, your program is heading towards late-stage Mack and could wind up careening towards Tom Herman/Derek Warehime/Herb Hand catastrophe.

The current competition for this kid doesn't seem great in terms of "staffs putting guys in the NFL and regularly in the playoffs":

• Cal
  • Florida
  • Nebraska
  • Texas
  • Washington
  • USC

Maybe I'm underselling the value of UW and USC evaluations, but I'd rather see schools like Michigan and Georgia coming after this guy. To be clear, I know nothing about this. Your comment just piqued my curiosity so I looked up his 247 page.

The least correlated rankings to actual collegiate performance and NFL draft picks are on the OL, with IOL being worse than OTs. I look at the schools fighting over this guy versus his ranking and then compare it to someone like TJ Shanahan, the polar opposite situation, and kind of roll my eyes. Last I heard, Texas really wants this guy. 

I definitely agree with this and have said something similar before. OL rankings by the sites are more useless than a treadmill or glass of water in Elko’s office.

Much better to see who is recruiting the guy hard to determine quality of prospect. The services seem to recognize this and usually change rankings after the fact. Except Rivals, who are too lazy to even pay attention to what schools are recruiting prospects. The whole aggy 2023 class is a good example of this. Bisontis was ranked as a top 100 prospect, yet his OVs were to places like Michigan State, Rutgers, and A&M. Those are not top 100 prospect official visit spots. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

The current competition for this kid doesn't seem great in terms of "staffs putting guys in the NFL and regularly in the playoffs":

• Cal
  • Florida
  • Nebraska
  • Texas
  • Washington
  • USC

Maybe I'm underselling the value of UW and USC evaluations, but I'd rather see schools like Michigan and Georgia coming after this guy. To be clear, I know nothing about this. Your comment just piqued my curiosity so I looked up his 247 page.

Michigan was on him hard when Harbaugh was running things. UW was on him hard when Daboer was there. Those programs had the best OLs in the last 3 years. Cal is down the street so that is ignorable. Rhule's evaluation skills are as good as anyone's. When his crew is on someone, you can rest assured that the player is fucking tough and loves football. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

This plus only taking 1 or 2 OL in a recruiting cycle. At the end of the day with the miss rate being so high it turns into a #s game. Take them and if they hit great if not process them out.  

The dude is 6'6" 320 and moves his feet well in space and has a mean streak. He has average technique and needs to improve in strength and conditioning. Unless he gets injured, he will be good.

Yeah, not to sniff our own farts here, but I feel like this forum has a consensus of posters who understand this premise regarding the trenches. It plays well across the board, but the rankings aren't nearly as bad as the positions expand away from the ball. 

You mention the aggie 2023 class and we all absolutely lampooned what they were doing with the OL during that cycle. I don't know how we could have been more accurate and how Fisher's crew could have been more wrong. The opposite of "trust the coaches", which Liucci and the aggie poster-base were absolutely parroting to each other. 

-Chase Bisontis: A top 100 recruit from NJ being ignored by regional powers like PSU, OSU, and Michigan. We felt he was slow-footed and bad bodied. ATM talking heads touted him as an OT. We laughed. Also, one of the aggiest looking aggies to have ever aggied. Results so far? Had one of the worst performances at OT in all of D1 last season. People posted clips of his ineptitude on Twitter to drive follower engagement because of the comedic value they created. Tried to transfer immediately, aggies just overpaid to keep him. Elko immediately moved him to guard, where he may or may not ever see the field again.

-Colton Thomasson: A 6'8" 350 OG prospect that only ATM ever pushed for and the guy committed almost two years ahead of signing day. The classic aggie diehard bust. Shockingly, a 6'8" guard had some issues, the guy never cracked the depth chart and now he's in the portal, probably landing somewhere like Texas State or UTEP. 

-TJ Shanahan: This guy finished that class ranked as the #19 player in the nation on Rival's list. We laughed hard then and I laugh hard now. Every major program did what they could to avoid taking this guy without alienating the HS staff, UT more than anyone. Early in his recruitment, when all lists had him in the top 100 for some absurd reason, he was telling recruiting media that he was heading out of state to one of the major programs in the southeast, maybe Miami. Cristobal is a starfucker and an imbecile, but he knows OL and, despite Shanahan being really, really interested in committing, wouldn't take his commitment. Shanahan held his nose and committed to ATM. Someone good at it should find the Liucci takes on this recruitment from that cycle because when they took his commitment, the smugness in which that dipshit touted the take was both hilarious and nauseating. Results: per their gurus, the guy is "a few years away". I'm kind of surprised he isn't portaling this cycle. 

-Naquil Bertrand: An OT prospect that no program within his regional vicinity cared much for, and the aggies took because, hey, they needed some bodies on the OL. Never did anything and subsequently transferred with the coaching change, somehow winding up at Bama. I guess they needed a body too or something. 

2 transfers, 1 completely lost former starter, and 1 guy buried on a weakly talented OL depth chart. That is the kind of shit that blows a hole through the middle of a roster. If anyone wants to be entertained, they should go back and look at that entire recruiting class. It's not been very long and you can still tell it is going to be an albatross on that program. That cycle's transfers in are also really piss poor. It's glorious.

Elko seems to have overcorrected from Jimbo's cube approach by only taking 270lb guys, though I imagine that's actually just a result of A&M not having a competitive pitch in recruiting right now.