Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

I'm thinking Jonah Williams

It’s not Jonah Williams. 

That said, here are a few things to consider regarding Jonah Williams. 

1) If David Pierce is the coach at Texas, Williams isn’t coming to Texas. There is no wiggle room. 

2) He profiles as a LB but doesn’t love contact. Wants to be a safety accordingly.

3) There is a notion that he’ll be a ratings boon and never matter to whatever campus he lands on as a player.

I don’t want this dude and won’t do anything but laugh if he ends up at OU.

Sark is a starfucker and wants the guy. Texas will pursue him to the end. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s not Jonah Williams. 

1) If David Pierce is the coach at Texas, Williams isn’t coming to Texas. There is no wiggle room. 

2) He profiles as a LB but doesn’t love contact. Wants to be a safety accordingly.

3) There is a notion that he’ll be a ratings boon and never matter to whatever campus he lands on as a player.

Is an in state player? Terry the Athlete from San Antonio?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It’s not Jonah Williams. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wonder if the guy Gerry is talking about is Sellers, since he just said he was committing in a week or so?  

Others that would fit ctj's description would be someone like Marsh, Ty Haywood, Terry, or maybe Woodfork?  Anybody else would be someone we'd definately have wanted just looking at the top guys in-state.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It’s not Jonah Williams. 

I love safeties who hate contact 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I wonder if the guy Gerry is talking about is Sellers, since he just said he was committing in a week or so?  

Others that would fit ctj's description would be someone like Marsh, Ty Haywood, Terry, or maybe Woodfork?  Anybody else would be someone we'd definately have wanted just looking at the top guys in-state.

you can scratch woodfork off the list for A&M. and likely Texas too barring any sort of major change. I'd pencil him in at LSU/Texas Tech or a big out of state program that comes in late for the time being. 

Wells - James Simon CB to Texas.

image.thumb.png.dba326c0511d30705562aa1e53453d10.png

FYI, 

- both On3 and 247 rate Simon above Jordan Davison, in their own rankings.

On3 position ranking

- Simon #8, Davison #18

247 position ranking

- Simon #8, Davison #10

Will be interesting to see whether/how this changes, if Simon and Davison commit to Texas & Ohio State, respectively.

• Hook 'Em 4

Choice obviously knows what he’s doing, but I was never a big Davison fan, and I think Simon has a lot of unnecessary stuff going on with his running style… Tashard either doesn’t see what I see, doesn’t care or thinks he can coach him up. I would be good with only Stewart in the class, but it seems they like two RB classes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

but it seems they like two RB classes.

Well when the NFL is gobbling up all your RBS, you gotta recruit more

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This recruitment sure turned away from us in a hurry.

Just a guess, but I'm thinking it was relayed to him that we won't be paying whatever ridiculous sum of money he was asking for. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Red Five said:

Just a guess, but I'm thinking it was relayed to him that we won't be paying whatever ridiculous sum of money he was asking for. 

And that we have a bead on someone we like just as much / better. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Red Five said:

They’ve stated before he wants a quicker path to playing time and he’s unlikely to see snaps too many snaps his first year or two behind Baxter, Wisner, Gibson, Clark.  I imagine that had more to do with it.

Edited by victory88

51 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Interesting comment from Bobby, on Davison.

image.thumb.png.a7c54e86313cab218174a11475bf0b84.png

His family and Dad specifically weren’t keen on him coming here. Was all about the horses we have in the stable at RB. Fine by me. Don’t want a kid afraid of competing. We will be just fine with Choice and the kids he targets. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I get it. You're a player and want to ball out. You also want to go to the NFL. The particular position you play has a short shelf life, and being the "bell cow" toting the rock is increasingly becoming a thing of the past. Wherever you go to school will likely have you splitting carries in some manner. Moreover, NFL GMs and coaches (seemingly) frown upon RBs that already have a lot of mileage. Also, and perhaps, most importantly, our 4th string RB who was used more as a receiver was just drafted. 

With that said, what exactly is your concern, Mr. Davison?

12 minutes ago, tokamak said:

It’s interesting that we’re taking 2 RB every cycle. We’ve built up quite a stable (backlog?), especially since RBs can usually play pretty early.

Champagne problems imo. 

As in the NFL, blowing big money on RBs is a bad idea.

The allure of touchdown glory draws a lot of talent to the position so even lowly backs are still pretty decent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Screenshot_20240505_160951_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240505_160958_Chrome.jpg

I'm laughing my ass off about that article.  The elk has established a culture!  If Williams wants to be aggy, then we dodged a bullet. At least in this case.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Screenshot_20240505_160951_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240505_160958_Chrome.jpg

Williams bitched out on attending IMG, right? Ball hasn’t been good at football since the mid-1990’s, the Casey Hampton years.

Turning down IMG to stay at Ball is a red flag. He should want to be developed and compete against the best. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Williams bitched out on attending IMG, right? Ball hasn’t been good at football since the mid-1990’s, the Casey Hampton years.

Turning down IMG to stay at Ball is a red flag. He should want to be developed and compete against the best. 

A safety who doesn't like to tackle is the reddest of all red flags.

• Like 1

Is this where we are now?  Couple years ago.. most of the followers of TXHSFB hated IMG and wanted to keep the talented players at their schools not go play for a private school in FL..

Now it's a red flag for him choosing to stay at his high school?

• Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)

IMG is certainly not for everyone.  Some families don't want their kid going to Florida for school as they want to spend high school together.  In fact in another sport, I had a coach who used to coach there tell me it was a waste of time. Football is obviously different then the sport I am referring to and it has more of a prestige level in football.

Edited by Moderator
  • Hook 'Em 1

Nailed it. I don’t get how you can choose your only high school experience playing for your hometown school in front of all your family and friends every Friday vs playing at a boarding school 1000 miles away. It’s what makes me laugh at people that think Arch Manning or Quinn Ewers are the answer, who chose to play at their local schools. Non-competitors, both of them. We should’ve gone all-in on IMG QB Jayden Bradford instead, who’s going to win a heisman at Liberty. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

I get wanting to stay home. Good for him. But he told IMG at one point he was coming and then pulled the rug out. He’s 16-17 years old, so it’s a very forgivable offense. 

But he should want access to IMG’s facilities, nutrition, and sports medicine programs to prepare for his football career. 

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I get wanting to stay home. Good for him. But he told IMG at one point he was coming and then pulled the rug out. He’s 16-17 years old, so it’s a very forgivable offense. 

But he should want access to IMG’s facilities, nutrition, and sports medicine programs to prepare for his football career. 

This is another of your bizarre positions that make the rest of us scratch our heads. There’s not a fucking thing wrong with the guy deciding to stay home. IMG approaches hundreds of players each cycle. Many say they’re in and then no-show.

• Hook 'Em 3