Ewers in the portal

Bruh Man

10 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

This program needs a perception change regionally and nationally and this would help a fuck ton. Plus he’ll get other kids to sign here as well. 

10 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

Having him as a qb would be great but all the other players that would follow would be huge.

10 hours ago, JFKFC said:

If he gets one competent offensive lineman to sign here then it's a huge win.

All of the above!  Goddamn, we aren't sending men to the moon here. 

We just went 5-7 overall and 3-6 in conference.  We are bent over and duct-taped to the saw-horse right now.  We need something..anything...to get us kick-started again.  

We sign Mullet and he brings other kids that always wanted to play on the 40 anyhow...

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Ewers made comments last year about why he chose to de commit from Texas along the lines that “the program had just been down for too long”.  Could be his true reasoning or could just have been a convenient line to drop transferring for another reason he wanted to keep close to the vest.  I guess the question is whether Sarkisian in his mind will change that trajectory, and if he feels strongly enough that’s the case to take a chance he wasn’t willing to take barely more than a year ago.  Or maybe his one year at Ohio State was enough to convince him that he needed to downgrade his expectations of himself in order to get on the field.  There’s a lot of data points along the spectrum between “bust” and “generational talent”.  Touted generational talent out of high school has also produced on field results all over the spectrum.  Trevor Lawrence was mentioned earlier.  Trevor Lawrence went to one of the hottest two programs at the time (Clemson) and proved too good to keep off the field as a true freshman that by mid-season he sent starter Kelly Bryant to the bench.  Here at Texas we’ve had a large sample of highly ranked high school QBs from Chris Simms to Vince Young to Garret Gilbert. How did that work out?  It took Vince the better part of two seasons to prove undeniably that he should be on the field against the likes of Chance Mock.  Simms was decent, but never lived up to the hype.  Gilbert ended up being cuttable.  Life is like a box of chocolates, but if your program is hitting the all-time lows as this Texas program has been for quite some time, you’ve lost the ability to have your pick of the best pickings available.  If an opportunity like Ewers falls in your lap for whatever reason, you take it regardless of repercussions for the Manning recruitment, etc.

From Bobby Layne to Chris Simms we had a LOT of busts.

18 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Why would he want to go to Lubbock, other than the fact that his haircut would be more comfortable there?

Yeah.  He didn't want to come here because we had been "down too long" (paraphrasing).

So he would rather end up at a program that has never been a serious contender, outside of one or two seasons under the Pirate?

If true, this guy strikes me as...not terribly bright.  Hopefully he is smarter than that.

43 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Why would he want to go to Lubbock, other than the fact that his haircut would be more comfortable there?

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Because we’re a dumpster fire?

That's answering a different question.

I get why he might not want to come here.  But it's not as if UT, Tech, and aggy are the only places that would take him.  So, why Lubbock?  Christ, aggy makes more sense than Tech.

Edited by TexArcher

Lubbock is fucking stupid and unreasonable. Granted the kid may be both of those, but if he really likes football and wants to go pro, Texas is the obvious choice. He starts day one, gets the best coaching, and the support cast will follow. What great recruits/transfers are going to follow him to that shit hole?

10 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I have no doubt that between the ages of 16-25 every single poster on this board had the most ridiculous haircut imaginable. Photos don't lie.

The fuck I did.  At 16 (1985), I was sporting a permullet...

Mullet-with-perm-baseball-hat-hairbyrile

and by 1990 I'd switched from the mullet to the Mullin.

bef02f5aad47ecc16a091842212bb71c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Saw this on Facebook, take it for what it’s worth.....which is probably nothing.

image.thumb.png.2e336c5641ae7b66e8e7558ba4292b01.png

Kittley worked with Mahomes at Tech and I could see why Ewers might go for that.. His offense also put up like 500 yards on UTSA last night..

As much as it pains me to say this, he'd be crazy to come here if he has NFL aspirations. When is the last time we put a QB not named Vince Young in the league who wasn't a backup by his third year in the NFL?

What in the actual fuck does that have to do with anything in the present time?
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

What in the actual fuck does that have to do with anything in the present time?

Well, he plays QB.  How many have we developed in the last 25 years?  Four.  And three of those were one or two decades ago.  Dont get mad at me.  I dont like it any more than you do.

Edited by Burt

2 minutes ago, Burt said:

Well, he plays QB.  How many have we developed in the last 25 years?  Four.  And three of those were one or two decades ago.  Dont get mad at me.  I dont like it any more than you do.

and what does that have to do with Sarkisian, who has developed 1 or more QB at every stop in his coaching career.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Burt said:

By this logic he really should go to Michigan because the greatest QB of all time went there.  Yeah, the coaches and OC are totally different now but why should that matter.

25 minutes ago, Burt said:

As much as it pains me to say this, he'd be crazy to come here if he has NFL aspirations. When is the last time we put a QB not named Vince Young in the league who wasn't a backup by his third year in the NFL?

How many starting QBs has the current staff at Tech put in the league? Stupid fucking take and you should feel bad about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Burt said:

19 minutes ago, Burt said:

slap hit GIF by truTV’s Those Who Can’t

1 hour ago, Burt said:

So we're never going to turn this thing around?

I get the despair, but sheesh.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

where we at on this? everyone flipping out that hes going to tech or is that some bullshit? 

No one knows much of anything. It is between us and Tech according to all the actual reporters. There have been a lot of trolls saying it's done and it's Tech, but that is probably just to get under our fans' skin which clearly worked.

8 hours ago, Burt said:

So, what, he should go to Tech because they're such an NFL quarterback factory?

How about Wyoming?

Wait, I've got it!  Fresno State.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

I always laugh at the "didnt wanna announce because they didnt wanna steal some other school's thunder for that day". Yeah. Fucking. Right.

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Kinder, gentler college football?

This ^ Dead giveaway you're dealing with fake news troll info. Every. Single. Time. It's about as accurate as claiming a school will make the announcement during another school's game just to steal their thunder. Also, any info that includes anything to do with real estate. All guaranteed bullshit. Nobody's taking any of that type of petty shit into account with regard to announcements or decisions. They all have much better things to be concerning themselves with.

If it's Tech, they probably reached out to him with a sweet deal, NIL and this is your program, who do you want.... as much control as you could give a player. I guess this is the business of college football. I can see why coaches would be weary of deals like this and while others are desperate enough to give it a try.