The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Found an old nickel S&W .38 for sale today.  Pretty sure its a pre-war gun but has no model # on it.  Serial number is 410918 with no letter prefix.

Anybody have a clue what model that would be and an approximate year of mfg?  I can't find a good serial number tool for S&W's going back that far.

10 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Found an old nickel S&W .38 for sale today.  Pretty sure its a pre-war gun but has no model # on it.  Serial number is 410918 with no letter prefix.

Anybody have a clue what model that would be and an approximate year of mfg?  I can't find a good serial number tool for S&W's going back that far.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/

• Like 2

So got to shoot an old MP5 over the weekend and holy shit is that thing fun to shoot. So much so I’ve been seriously considering something similar (semi-auto, though) since original MP5s are expensive as hell. Anyone have a SP5K or MP5 clone they want to offer thoughts on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, dark54555 said:

Oh, and shot this, too...

f124cbf3406eaca9078dd566e18847ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big push.  Felt worse from a 7mm Mag and a shitty stock.  Just don't stand close.  Gasses from that brake are no joke.  Guy was firing one prone from the back of his truck (50BMG, but not a Barrett) and blew out both his tail lights and boxed the ever living sh*t out of his ears...even with protection.  

As for the MP - check out the CZ Scorpion.  Righteous.  If you are dead-set on the MP platform, there are clones.  Palmetto State Armory for example.  Walther makes a 22lr MP5 knockoff as well.  

Anyone have experience with the Vortex Viper vs Crossfire ii or maybe the Nikon Prostaff5?

Looking to pickup a 6.5 creedmoor, probably a Ruger Predator or Remington 783 heavy barrel. The idea is to get a Sico hybrid 46 that can eventually go on it and my AR15. Gonna want to put a decent entry level glass on it.

7 hours ago, thestud said:

Used to be the 3-9 on my .270. Bought the creedmoor and upgraded to the 6-24x50 and love it so much I bought another for the .270. Also have it in a 6-18 that was on my .308. The 6-24 is almost unfair at 200-300 yards.

Have the same one on my 6.5  Great glass for the price. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, deft said:

Only 50 days??? Are you referring to the sbr then?

The check was cashed on December 30, 2017. Approved June 24, 2018. Received August 13. The stamp usually gets to you a week after approval. Mine took 50 days. All good now though. 

On 8/8/2018 at 9:45 AM, BabaYaga said:

Big push.  Felt worse from a 7mm Mag and a shitty stock.  Just don't stand close.  Gasses from that brake are no joke.  Guy was firing one prone from the back of his truck (50BMG, but not a Barrett) and blew out both his tail lights and boxed the ever living sh*t out of his ears...even with protection.  

As for the MP - check out the CZ Scorpion.  Righteous.  If you are dead-set on the MP platform, there are clones.  Palmetto State Armory for example.  Walther makes a 22lr MP5 knockoff as well.  

Checked out some reviews and YouTube footage of the Scorpion, then found a new Scorpion Evo 3 Carbine for $800 and jumped on it.  Just got here, can't wait to get it on the range.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dark54555 said:

found a new Scorpion Evo 3 Carbine for $800 and jumped on it.  Just got here, can't wait to get it on the range.

I hope a scorpion stings you on your poop hole.....so jealous.  Dammit.....Suppressed.  With sub-sonics, they can actually get close to "Hollywood quiet".  Zero recoil.  Minimal muzzle report.  Cheap ammo.  Compact size.  Reliable.  Maybe the best home-defense platform out there?  

On 8/16/2018 at 1:21 PM, BabaYaga said:

I hope a scorpion stings you on your poop hole.....so jealous.  Dammit.....Suppressed.  With sub-sonics, they can actually get close to "Hollywood quiet".  Zero recoil.  Minimal muzzle report.  Cheap ammo.  Compact size.  Reliable.  Maybe the best home-defense platform out there?  

if you're into that sort of thing franklin armory just released a binary trigger for it.  i got the evo over a zenith.  great gun, can't post pics because of boat accident.

• Like 1

There is actually an economic phenomenon where people subconsciously add value to stuff they own. They cannot be objective.

Or one of two things happened. 1) they get a “deal” price but value it at what they were told it was worth not what they paid. 2) they paid MSRP +tax like a dope.

Either way just tell them to call a gun shop that buys used guns and ask what the shop will give them. That is an eye opener some time. Red’s will tell you they will pay wholesale and then discount based on condition.

I dont have pics on my phone, but I have a custom .308 that I covet.  Underground Skunkworks, Kukri.  18” heavy barrel sitting in a Manners stock...its a truck rifle so i threw a NF 2.5-10 on top.  Shoots amazingly out to about 800 and my patterns start breaking apart.  Reliable kill shots on piglets to 500.  

Backstory.  My dad and I sourced our rifles from UGSW when they were just getting started...Mike (owner) had worked for several reputable groups that built actions.  We got our rifles about 3 months late...learned later that several others weren’t so lucky and never got theres.  They ended up out of business, but damn if these thinga dont shoot!!!  They are fucking tack drivers.  Pics later.

Edited by Izhmash

18 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

I like eveyrthing benelli. Awesome stuff. 

+1  My favorite shotty is my Nova.  I'm one of those weirdos that grew up on a .410 breakover, so duck hunting with an auto just goes too "fast" for me.  I always miss my follow up shots.  When I use a pump, I am forced to re-focus...and that keeps me on target at a higher % hit rate.  Love my Nova!

On 8/25/2018 at 8:27 PM, Bert Orange said:

I like eveyrthing benelli. Awesome stuff. 

My middle kid - 11 years old - is left-handed and a Benelli M2 was the only LH 20 gauge semi that I could find for him. It is a great gun, never misfired, always ejects, and doesn't get as dirty as a gas system.

However, I do have a major complaint in that the bolt release is still on the right side. So he puts a shell into the chamber with his left hand and then he has to close it with his right hand. Awkward as hell. 

I suppose I could get a gunsmith to move that button, but even so, it's a really bad design for such a good gun, otherwise. 

9 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

My middle kid - 11 years old - is left-handed and a Benelli M2 was the only LH 20 gauge semi that I could find for him. It is a great gun, never misfired, always ejects, and doesn't get as dirty as a gas system.

However, I do have a major complaint in that the bolt release is still on the right side. So he puts a shell into the chamber with his left hand and then he has to close it with his right hand. Awkward as hell. 

I suppose I could get a gunsmith to move that button, but even so, it's a really bad design for such a good gun, otherwise. 

M2 Field is my go to 20ga. Love the damn thing. Bullet proof. 

Wtf is wrong with people? You have a rifle that retails for $1,059 and you put 50 rds thru it. I have a rifle that retails for $1,040 that has never been fired. You want to trade me your used rifle for my new one. I explain that I use the average of grabagun and buds prices to value my weapon as well as yours. Where the fuck do you get off telling me you need $100 from me to make the deal square??? Its like I’m playing cards with my brothers kids

He just watched True Grit and feels inspired by the horse trading scene.

As a follow up to my post about an antelope gun, I ended up getting a Remington 700 in 6.5 Creedmore and threw a Nightforce SHV 4-14 50mm on it.  

Sighted it in and was able to hit a 12" plate at 700m 3/3 times.  Was only 1/4 at 1000m.  

Ended up taking my antelope at 435m.  

It's a shooter!  Thanks for the recommendations.  

• Like 3