The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

I have 3 suppressors in jail right now. Bought around July 4th last year. I got one of the forms back as a denial in early February. I had an old Willi trust that needed to be updated. If you have an old trust, make sure you get it updated before buying/submitting. Capitol Armory handled the update and claimed they contacted the reviewer to get my form expedited. Now we are two month later and I fully expect to get my approvals in June or July of this year. Shit takes forever.

What is a Willi trust? Or do you mean will or trust? What needs to be updated on them?

7 hours ago, Crapinon said:

I was talking to a neighbor the other day about the occasional coyotes I see in our yard. I had one pretty close to the house but didn't have a pistol handy to shoot it. He said he'd use a long gun, which makes sense but their houses within 1/4 mile behind us and I told him I didn't think it was a good idea. He told me he has a .30 cal and .50 cal air gun which would take them down. I won't bore you with the rest of the conversation but when I ask him about charging them, he said it took 30+ minutes with an air compressor. I didn't ask him how he was planning to get a coyote to stand still for 30 minutes while he charged his gun. 

Which leads me to my question. What good does a gun do you if you have to wait 30 mins to an hour before you use it. Does anyone have any experience or insight to why they make sense? They can be as expensive as regular rifles and besides the novelty, I can't see any real advantage with them.

Several of the ones I’ve seen that use a compressor were nowhere near that amount of time.   Wonder what is going on with that. 

7 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

What is a Willi trust? Or do you mean will or trust? What needs to be updated on them?

Jim Willi. The gun trust lawyer. It had some shit about benefactors the atf saw as allowing possession and it needed to be reworded or I had to get them fingerprinted.  It was just my BIL in case my wife and I died, he would hold the NFA stuff until my boys were 18.

• Hook 'Em 1

I put everything in the trust to make everything easier if something happens. I have a bunch of stuff my wife doesn't care about. I have it all lined out which boys gets what etc. The trust evidently is a pita now for approvals but it makes it much easier to pass the stuff on efficiently.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

If you have an old trust

Define "old". What was the specific deficiency in the trust?  I have read about people getting caught up on schedules needing a notarized signature on their inventory list? I don't have my inventory as a schedule. It is just a seperate piece of paper without a specific reference in the trust document. I am using the stock silencer shop trust.

I think that the strategy here moving forward is to just buy a new can every 3-4 months or so such that you always one coming out of jail around the corner. What a stupid fucking system. 

Side note, had a baffle strike on my omega 36m.  Probably some dumbass user error mounting. To their credit silencerco has been very easy to deal with. 

1 minute ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Can you get one individually and later transfer it into a trust?

If you want to burn money on tax stamps. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Jim Willi. The gun trust lawyer. It had some shit about benefactors the atf saw as allowing possession and it needed to be reworded or I had to get them fingerprinted.  It was just my BIL in case my wife and I died, he would hold the NFA stuff until my boys were 18.

As I understand it, all co-trustees must submit fingerprints. Successors do not. My BIL is the successor on my trust. At some point after I load up the trust I will put my kids and wife as co-trustees. Successor is just in case I get hit by a cement truck and I know that my BIL won't throw my cans in the lake. 

Edited by Anastasis

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

As I understand it, all co-trustees must submit fingerprints. Successors do not. My BIL is the successor on my trust. At some point after I load up the trust I will put my kids and wife as co-trustees. Successor is just in case I get hit by a cement truck and I know that my BIL won't throw my cans in the lake. 

The old trust I had basically said my successors could hold and possess the nfa items. The new language makes it so they can't take possession without being legally allowed to I guess. Lawdogs will know better. Either way, a 2015 trust failed the test. Just reach out to your attorney just in case you need to update. I just want my cans so I can hunt with my family for the 111 million hogs that show up every night at our ranch.

Last time I had talked with a lawyer, the responsible parties listed had to be finger printed.

This is kind of off topic related to private gun ownership but is realted to guns...

I realize this is sort of an out of date question but I am curious what people think about the Sig M7 as a front line replacement for the M4.  I understand the idea behind it; more modularity and the ability to pop through body armor better than 5.56 or  7.62 rounds.  But as I understand it, the plan would be to issue these to combat trooops while others in the rear would still field the M4.   

1. That means two types of small arms ammo have to be transported in bulk.   That was already being done with 5.56/7.62 for the M4/249 and 240s so this isn't a new issue but it still seems like a logistical issue.

2.  Is NATO going to be adopting the M7 as well?   Granted, depending on the future and U.S. politics, we might not even be in NATO but isn't this also a huge logistics nightmare?  

3.  This is an Army contract and the Marines could adopt the weapon but there's no current plan that I know of.   So there's another logistical issue.

Thoughts?

7 hours ago, Macanudo said:

This is kind of off topic related to private gun ownership but is realted to guns...

I realize this is sort of an out of date question but I am curious what people think about the Sig M7 as a front line replacement for the M4.  I understand the idea behind it; more modularity and the ability to pop through body armor better than 5.56 or  7.62 rounds.  But as I understand it, the plan would be to issue these to combat trooops while others in the rear would still field the M4.   

1. That means two types of small arms ammo have to be transported in bulk.   That was already being done with 5.56/7.62 for the M4/249 and 240s so this isn't a new issue but it still seems like a logistical issue.

2.  Is NATO going to be adopting the M7 as well?   Granted, depending on the future and U.S. politics, we might not even be in NATO but isn't this also a huge logistics nightmare?  

3.  This is an Army contract and the Marines could adopt the weapon but there's no current plan that I know of.   So there's another logistical issue.

Thoughts?

IMG_1947.gif.25f386b1c84a3f0bad2e50c8be75dc0a.gif

Killing is my business…and business is good.

19 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Thoughts?

A solution in search of a problem.  Just mentioning "it can defeat body armor" will get you a meeting with the brass (see 5.7 & 4.6x30mm)

There's been talk of the efficacy of the 5.56 since it's inception.  It was designed as a lightweight, higher capacity, lower recoil option.  It resurfaced in Mogadishu with combatants all hopped up on Kot taking multiple torso rounds and staying in the fight.  To offset this somewhat, in the GWOT most of the Tier 1/2 units were issues 77gr Black Hills vs. the standard green-tips and by most accounts it performed well.

Logistics are going to be a bitch.  All of NATO uses the 5.56/7.62, which is the entire point.  Moving away from that is going to be spicy......so it does seem only specialized troops with deploy it first with later adoption coming to front-line units years later.  

A solution in search of a problem.  Just mentioning "it can defeat body armor" will get you a meeting with the brass (see 5.7 & 4.6x30mm)
There's been talk of the efficacy of the 5.56 since it's inception.  It was designed as a lightweight, higher capacity, lower recoil option.  It resurfaced in Mogadishu with combatants all hopped up on Kot taking multiple torso rounds and staying in the fight.  To offset this somewhat, in the GWOT most of the Tier 1/2 units were issues 77gr Black Hills vs. the standard green-tips and by most accounts it performed well.
Logistics are going to be a bitch.  All of NATO uses the 5.56/7.62, which is the entire point.  Moving away from that is going to be spicy......so it does seem only specialized troops with deploy it first with later adoption coming to front-line units years later.  

Armies have been drugging their soldiers for quite some time. For this reason.

22 hours ago, 59 Burst said:

Picked up today. I have went through a few of these in my life. This one is a 29-3.

IMG_4873.jpeg

So...I guess you felt lucky...and made your day...but don't forget that every man's got to know his limitations.  I'll see myself out.

• Haha 2

Reminiscing…..

About 30 years ago at a local outdoor gun range that had very few patrons that morning, I saw a lady doing her handgun qualifying shooting for her concealed carry license - with the instructor observing of course.
She did very well from what I could see and handled her semiauto pistol proficiently.
When they were finished, the instructor began giving firing lessons to the lady's blind husband who was in a wheelchair.
The husband knew how to handle the gun properly & load it without assistance.
When he was ready to shoot, the instructor gave him verbal commands for direction and elevation, then when to commence firing at the target 10 yards down range.
It appeared the blind gentleman hit paper perhaps half the time with the first magazine, then improved to about 3/4 on target with the next two.
Then the wife took her turn "spotting" for her husband with the same results.
A very interesting scene, IMO, and it was obvious the couple were not complete newbies to firearms.
It appeared the session was satisfying and enjoyable to all involved.

I assume the wife passed the CHL course to receive her license to carry from the state of Texas.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Reminiscing…..

About 30 years ago at a local outdoor gun range that had very few patrons that morning, I saw a lady doing her handgun qualifying shooting for her concealed carry license - with the instructor observing of course.
She did very well from what I could see and handled her semiauto pistol proficiently.
When they were finished, the instructor began giving firing lessons to the lady's blind husband who was in a wheelchair.
The husband knew how to handle the gun properly & load it without assistance.
When he was ready to shoot, the instructor gave him verbal commands for direction and elevation, then when to commence firing at the target 10 yards down range.
It appeared the blind gentleman hit paper perhaps half the time with the first magazine, then improved to about 3/4 on target with the next two.
Then the wife took her turn "spotting" for her husband with the same results.
A very interesting scene, IMO, and it was obvious the couple were not complete newbies to firearms.
It appeared the session was satisfying and enjoyable to all involved.

I assume the wife passed the CHL course to receive her license to carry from the state of Texas.

I had a guitar teacher many years ago that was completely blind since birth; a piano tuner, too.  He kept an (illegally short) 12 gauge next to the bed.  Needless to say, his hearing was perfect.  I wouldn’t bet against him for those first 2 rounds………

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Seems like Caesar Guerini owns Fabarms. CG makes great shotguns, I love the ones I have. I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had a chance at one with a discount.

Edited by RMac5

We’ll see where this goes, but why the fuck is the ATF breaking down a door at 6am as opposed to showing up at his place of employment?  If someone breaks down my door at 6 am, I’m probably slinging some lead their way.  Fucking idiots.  

https://nypost.com/2024/03/21/us-news/bill-and-hillary-clinton-airport-exec-shot-by-atf-agents-during-raid-has-died-brother-says/

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Want. Need. 

There were 1,000 made for the 1986 Sesquicentennial.
Bought mine at Collectors Firearms about 15 years ago.
Since then they have had one or two in stock once in a while:

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/products/90193-texas-sesquicentennial-commemorative-colt-single-action-45-lc-caliber-revolver-1986-issue-only-1000-made-com1294.html

775$$IMG_2829.jpeg

IMG_0706.jpeg

774$$IMG_2828.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/products/90193-texas-sesquicentennial-commemorative-colt-single-action-45-lc-caliber-revolver-1986-issue-only-1000-made-com1294.html

775$$IMG_2829.jpeg

IMG_0706.jpeg

774$$IMG_2828.jpeg

Just saying. Straight cash homey for a price named within reason. 

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

775$$IMG_2829.jpeg

IMG_0706.jpeg

774$$IMG_2828.jpeg

How does it shoot?

;)

1 minute ago, ChickenNuggets said:

How does it shoot?

Believe it or not, I’ve been thinking about taking it to the range and running a a few rounds through the pipe. 
I do have a box of 50 lead round nose somewhere in the safe, along with two boxes (20 each) of jacketed soft points. 
Bought those over a decade ago. 
Might even haul my unfired (since the factory shipped it in 1979) .357 SAA out for a little exercise too.

IMG_3370.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Believe it or not, I’ve been thinking about taking it to the range and running a a few rounds through the pipe. 
I do have a box of 50 lead round nose somewhere in the safe, along with two boxes (20 each) of jacketed soft points. 
Bought those over a decade ago. 
Might even haul my unfired (since the factory shipped it in 1979) .357 SAA out for a little exercise too.

IMG_3370.jpeg

Surly field trip?  

Beautiful revolver. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We’ll see where this goes, but why the fuck is the ATF breaking down a door at 6am as opposed to showing up at his place of employment?  If someone breaks down my door at 6 am, I’m probably slinging some lead their way.  Fucking idiots.  

https://nypost.com/2024/03/21/us-news/bill-and-hillary-clinton-airport-exec-shot-by-atf-agents-during-raid-has-died-brother-says/

Why were they looking for him in the first place?