The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 9/7/2022 at 4:11 PM, Enchubben said:

I’ve only ever been dove hunting and clay shooting, but got the offer to join some friends for a duck hunt in a month or so.

Butttttttt, I only have a browning 20 o/u that doesn’t strike me as a gun to take to the water and mud. 

Any recommendations for something suitable for a beginner hunter in the $200-$500 range that will last me 5 seasons or so? 

You might be able to find a 12ga 1100 at the upper end of your price range, too, or just beyond it.

But if you just want a workhorse "hunting gun" then the recs for an 870 is probably the best idea for that price. I personally have just grown to hate (and often forget) to pump the gun, so I'm inclined towards automatics, which aren't a problem in wet conditions provided you clean them soon after.

Took a few of the toys out this weekend with a friend.  No doves.  Tons of fish, and spent shells

Rhino .357 and Ruger .17hrm 

I have been on the fence about these new Chiappa's, but that little gun is sweet.  Usually those smaller wheel guns in .357 are snappy.  Not this one.  

The Ruger was a blast.  Could not load it fast enough.  Its loud as sin, but damn that little round is nasty.  I was plugging steel plates with it across the stock pond.  

image.png.dbed8c753b12fa5ce6cde7347b5924a3.png

image.png.8896244399c56124b14fa60c62d5789e.png

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AAMkADA0OGE1YjQ3LTg3NWEtNGIwZi1hNzg2LTkwMGFhMWRkY2U1NABGAAAAAAD%2FraiuZoyBRKk3EPxH9CXrBwB2QOB%2FVzsGTb9wQ8gjFt4vAAAAAAEMAAB2QOB%2FVzsGTb9wQ8gjFt4vAABAviMRAAABEgAQAMesAJNuVrVDnKMrl0Gk9z4%3D&thumbnailType=2&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IkQ4OThGN0RDMjk2ODQ1MDk1RUUwREZGQ0MzODBBOTM5NjUwNDNFNjQiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJ4NXQiOiIySmozM0Nsb1JRbGU0Tl84dzRDcE9XVUVQbVEifQ.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.g5BWI7HYK0AZGGQ11n0WsxAWdk0jRNEGYwJgGiGohrSGzPsdfAl3f5cjA-TZJuxCc8ijQooBJz9XtLYBckAAqEK5uCIjefF8cNXWUj6IL8ngu6ALGP3xRTrLUX5LhabGkVx3x4mfmXi1KD1wKq2EPSbu8l3YypaqthrfL-rMiMFAos2Sx3IZYn9cwPp6ZUFhEt-I1ODhG1i5TdL0IF6VnY2Sha2HnTKwqVCYLLCsF2JnulFRdCXhn9WcucwKYgPoZWcoUrGSLWgPf42-7Eioq9qfXEYtYqDB9o1Ty4_tQ4j0tUUpr0B4bUl18zh_8rxKaTr1VrIYDL0WX8QyJFWVxg&X-OWA-CANARY=bE3K8vw8c0CLnzVtTv04LhBhoqLDlNoYHfgqR-xOIxzaSlYWvWPFCXAUvkjPm02PX_AP6ixSNQs.&owa=outlook.office.com&scriptVer=20220819006.06&animation=true

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/11/2022 at 7:32 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

You might be able to find a 12ga 1100 at the upper end of your price range, too, or just beyond it.

But if you just want a workhorse "hunting gun" then the recs for an 870 is probably the best idea for that price. I personally have just grown to hate (and often forget) to pump the gun, so I'm inclined towards automatics, which aren't a problem in wet conditions provided you clean them soon after.

Do not buy a new 870. You will regret it. They are not the quality they were even ten years ago. I'd buy a Mossberg if I wanted a similar quality pump shotgun now. The 870 has gone down the toilet (and I think it's one of the top 5 American guns ever made). 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

Do not buy a new 870. You will regret it. They are not the quality they were even ten years ago. I'd buy a Mossberg if I wanted a similar quality pump shotgun now. The 870 has gone down the toilet (and I think it's one of the top 5 American guns ever made). 

Excellent point.

I almost recommended a Mossberg as an alternative. 

I have an 870 Wingmaster that was made in 1973 that I bought in a pawn shop and an Express that was made in 2010 that I won in a raffle. You can guess which one is better quality. 

4 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Excellent point.

I have an 870 Wingmaster that was made in 1973 that I bought in a pawn shop and an Express that was made in 2010 that I won in a raffle. You can guess which one is better quality. 

870 Wingmaster is one of the finest guns every produced. I have an early-90s 870 Express and it is definitely ugly. It's also fabulous, reliable and accurate. 

If I’m spending $500, I would look at the CZ 612 and the Benelli Nova/Supernova and see which fits you better. The 612 is annually one of the top selling pumps out there because you get quite a but for your money.

You could also potentially catch an A300 if you go a little past the $500 mark and keep an eye out or buy a used one.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Brew said:

If I’m spending $500, I would look at the CZ 612 and the Benelli Nova/Supernova and see which fits you better. The 612 is annually one of the top selling pumps out there because you get quite a but for your money.

You could also potentially catch an A300 if you go a little past the $500 mark and keep an eye out or buy a used one.

Agreed.  CZ pumps or Benelli pumps are outstanding in that price range.

Need recs on a .22LR for the soon to be 10 year old boy. Have looked at the Ruger 10/22 and Savage FV and while both look great, mostly plastic stocks. Is there anything else maybe in the $5-800 range that could be more heirloom-y? It’s his first gun so would like for It to be special - if something nice would engrave it too. 

Excellent point.

I have a 870 Wingmaster built in 1964 and the action rings like a hammer on an anvil when you close it; its great. I hunt better with autoloaders, but the old 870 has never had a hiccup.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Have several 870’s, including the one my dad hunted with when he was a whipper snapper, they are bomb proof for sure. I have an 870 20g that we cut the stock down on to fit the kids when they were young and needed a shorter stock, been trying to find a replacement butt stock to make it full size again. They want as much for the butt stocks as buying a used 870. 

Great looking patio and set up you got there [mention=2146]686[/mention], Is the 686 for Beretta 686? Those are great scatter guns!

In my case 686 is for one of my favorite pistols, the Smith and Wesson 686. Beretta 686 shotguns are very nice, too.

I set up a steel target game ~30 yards off this patio and the kids have a lot of run “racing”against each other. My folks just renovated this ranch house west of Lampasas over the last 18 months, it is nice.

b235afe68a92e95b604452ed7cb5bd3d.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Looks awesome. My wife’s family’s place is just up the road in Mills County. I would love to build a house there when we retire. 
What’s the semiauto pistol on the rock column in the first pic?

A cheap ~30 yr old smith and Wesson 22; fun to shoot and lightweight.

4 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Need recs on a .22LR for the soon to be 10 year old boy. Have looked at the Ruger 10/22 and Savage FV and while both look great, mostly plastic stocks. Is there anything else maybe in the $5-800 range that could be more heirloom-y? It’s his first gun so would like for It to be special - if something nice would engrave it too. 

10/22s come in a variety of configurations, including with wooden stocks, and it's such a popular weapon, the aftermarket is huge so you can customize it to your liking.  Another option to consider; I don't know what gun shows in Texas are like, but here in Virginia there are a large number of sellers offering classics.  Very easy to pick up a nice Winchester model 62 slide action for about $700-800.  I have one that I inherited from my dad, and they are great little shooters.  And almost forgot, take a look at Henry Repeating Arms.  They offer a huge selection of American made, lever action .22 LRs, and even a slide action.  They make a really quality product.

Edited by 83Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

CZs are very nice if buying new. Both of my kids started on a youth Marlin single shot with a red dot. I bought my daughter a Browning SA-22 (great gun and daughter is right handed, left eye dominant) and my son a S&W MP-22. If I had to do over I would have bought the CZ instead but 25rnd mag dumps with the M&P are a lot cheaper than a full size AR.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Then slide into a .223 and 6.5 Creed later.

8400.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Ruger 10-22T in laminate, mine drives tacks with just the cheap Remington Golden Bullet ammo, it'll be a little long and heavy now but your kid will be 6 feet tall in a few years

• Hook 'Em 1

@Fat Bastard unless something has changed with the new ones, the 10/22 trigger is cheeks. I started my oldest on a 10/22 I built for target shooting when she was 7 or so. Thumbhole/beaver tail stock with a very heavy barrel.  Topped it off with a 3x9x44.  Ended up dropping a Volquartsen trigger in it, which was damn near the cost of the 10/22 when I bought it.  It’s a great little rifle, and accurate af.  But meh triggers on the old ones. But it taught her to shoot ragged holes with no fear of recoil.  

eta: I’m going to be adding a CZ 22mag to the safe at some point.  Those are nice little rifles. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Sent the 1895 45-70 Big Loop to a smith in Nevada for some work. Removed checkering and slimmed the wrist and fore end & darkened the laminate stain. Polished the internals, took the edges off the loop, removed the front sight and machined a brake, lightened the trigger pull., and bead blasted the metal. 

52370712154_7aaae837f9_b.jpg52369457392_03186bcd63_c.jpg52369458922_bd28537cf1.jpg52369435177_ca19027727_b.jpg

That’s gorgeous but the screws are giving my OCD fits.  How did you find that particular smith? I assume he is known for his work with those? 

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

@Fat Bastard

eta: I’m going to be adding a CZ 22mag to the safe at some point.  Those are nice little rifles. 

You can get the CZ 457 American with a 22LR and a 17HMR  switch barrel.  I think I’ve read on Rimfirecentral that someone doing the same with the bull barrel  Varmint model.

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

That’s gorgeous but the screws are giving my OCD fits.  How did you find that particular smith? I assume he is known for his work with those? 

Followed his build of a similar lever on a hunting site I frequent. He's not famous, yet. Just a guy with skills and good tools. One of the screws is the punch safety delete. Looks better to me and I use the hammer de-cock for safety. Holler should you ever want his contact info....great guy to deal with and fair.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, davidg said:

You can get the CZ 457 American with a 22LR and a 17HMR  switch barrel.  I think I’ve read on Rimfirecentral that someone doing the same with the bull barrel  Varmint model.

That’s right they sell some in a package, too.  My only gripe with CZ, at least in the 455, 457, and 527, is they don’t make too many attempts to attach them to + wood. Every now and again you’ll see one with some character.  

1 hour ago, noharleyyet said:

Followed his build of a similar lever on a hunting site I frequent. He's not famous, yet. Just a guy with skills and good tools. One of the screws is the punch safety delete. Looks better to me and I use the hammer de-cock for safety. Holler should you ever want his contact info....great guy to deal with and fair.

It looks stunning.

My #1 love is boats, and you can bet every screw head (thru bolts) are all clocked the same.  Just an OCD habit of mine.  Same with the switch covers in my house. OCD brainworms on my end.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From the pull of the trigger, roughly 24 seconds elapsed before forward spotters heard the telltale plunk of a 422-grain copper bullet piercing the thin metal target.

The shooter was 4.4 miles away, a distance so great, the Earth’s rotation came into play.

It was a new world record for a rifle shot, set by the Jackson-based Nomad Rifleman team led by Schott Austin and Shepard Humphries. The shot was made with a custom-built rifle chambered for the .416 Barrett cartridge.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/09/20/at-4-4-miles-wyoming-team-sets-new-rifle-shot-world-record/

• Like 2