up to 10 dead from tornadoes in Kentuck,missouri, and arkansas

Gidnik

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I guess tornaders is political now?

Uh, yeah. Did you notice it only hit rural red areas that went for Trump, and Biden is in the White House?

In all seriousness, just terrible. Saw a news story on the Daily Texan thread that said one tornado was on the ground for 227 miles. Has to be a typo in the story, right?

How can 227 miles be possible?  Maybe it was two different tornadoes that just appeared to be one because they were on the same path?  
Because that would be one tornado for like 4-6 consecutive hours.  I didn’t even think was physically possible on our planet.

this is just terrible.  Gotta figure out a way to help the Red Cross today. 

It's mid-December, and there are F5 tornadoes occurring in the Ohio valley.  

Not trying to be political, but when you keep having more and more extreme weather events happening, including some that have never happened in recorded history, then you can't keep denying that climate change is happening.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Not trying to be political, but when you keep having more and more extreme weather events happening, including some that have never happened in recorded history, then you can't keep denying that climate change is happening.

It has happened many times in recorded history and will happen again in recorded history.  Weather and climate are different.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

How can 227 miles be possible?  Maybe it was two different tornadoes that just appeared to be one because they were on the same path?  
Because that would be one tornado for like 4-6 consecutive hours.  I didn’t even think was physically possible on our planet.

This will be considered the worst tornado in US history.

That it happened that far North and in mid-December?  It can’t be possible.  If this happened in June in Oklahoma or Alabama, it’s still be terrible but we could wrap our science around it. 

this literally couldn’t have Happened.  Not like this.  But It did and so many are dead or injured.  My heart just broke.  Dear God.  

Red Cross has what they need for now but they’ll deplete that wit in 36hrs.  So we need to help stock for the next thing I guess.  

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Not sure I share his "remarkable longevity!" enthusiasm, but I appreciate the tweet.  2 cells of that size, that far north, in mid-December.  That's never happened in recorded history.  I guess the next thing to wait for on the science end, would be to see given yesterday's weather and the weather in those areas for the recent past, model it out and see if anybody, at any service, had anything close to this predicted.  I saw there were tornado watches (my brother lives not too far from that Edwardsville, IL tornado). 

But curious if there were any outlier models that had anything close to these two massive supercells?  Not faulting anybody because you predict some shit like this, and they'll make you go spend all weekend fixing your model algorithm.  I doubt something of this scale could even be fathomed by an AI program.  If anybody brought this up 24 hours ago as an eventuality, I doubt any officials took them seriously.  I know I wouldn't have.  

This is beyond a massive tragedy.  I don't know what this is.

If it's confirmed to be 223 miles, it breaks the previous record of 219 set in 1925.

"On March 18, 1925, a tornado touched down near Ellington, Missouri, at 1:01 p.m. The tornado would stay on the ground for the next three and a half hours, moving through three states and over two major rivers amid a 219-mile path.

...The 1925 storm, which would later be dubbed the "Tri-State Tornado," was eventually classified as an F-5 storm... At its largest, the Tri-State Tornado's damage path was as wide as 12 football fields. It killed 695 people and injured 2,000 others"

"It holds records for longest path length at 219 miles (352 km), longest duration at about 3½ hours, and fastest forward speed for a significant tornado at 73 mph (117 km/h) anywhere on Earth."

Edited by zzzz

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Not sure I share his "remarkable longevity!" enthusiasm, but I appreciate the tweet.  2 cells of that size, that far north, in mid-December.  That's never happened in recorded history.  I guess the next thing to wait for on the science end, would be to see given yesterday's weather and the weather in those areas for the recent past, model it out and see if anybody, at any service, had anything close to this predicted.  I saw there were tornado watches (my brother lives not too far from that Edwardsville, IL tornado). 

But curious if there were any outlier models that had anything close to these two massive supercells?  Not faulting anybody because you predict some shit like this, and they'll make you go spend all weekend fixing your model algorithm.  I doubt something of this scale could even be fathomed by an AI program.  If anybody brought this up 24 hours ago as an eventuality, I doubt any officials took them seriously.  I know I wouldn't have.  

This is beyond a massive tragedy.  I don't know what this is.

In the 1957 outbreak I linked to above, there were 2 EF4 and 1 EF5 tornadoes in Illinois in December over the course 0f 2 days.  It is rare in the grand scheme of things, but it has happened before and will happen again.  I'm sure it happened hundreds of years ago when there were only Native Americans here. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1925 Tri-State was in late-March.  Well outside the usual peak window but only by 5 weeks or so.  We're 5 MONTHS outside the peak window.  

I realize these have happened before up that way.  We had to learn all about them growing up in tornado country.  We drilled for them to start the school year and then every week or so in April, May, and June.  the reason this is so bizarre to me is that it wasn't a 3-day tornado super-event.  It was two supercells that are likely the biggest ever, covering the most ground ever, the furthest north ever, the latest in the season ever, doing the most damage ever.  That's 5 factors that all got blown out of the water over the course of just a few hours.  I can't even come up with a hurricane equivalent of that insane vortex of factors which frightens me even more.  It's as if this happened just for nature to prove to us that it could.  

53 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Oh they can. And they will. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

You know what would be great? If a tornado came along and flattened Ted’s house on top of him. 

The Suck Factor of Ted Cruz is so deep and vast that he could have defeated this 250mi Tornado Vortex.  

A Suck Always Sees Another Suck From Afar.  

It's as if somebody took the NWS projections for this tornado cell and then magically expanded it using a Sharpie.  

Okay, enough politics.  I wanna get back to the science of this.  Which is ironic because science isn't cool anymore.  Or trustworthy.  

Largest supercells ever, covering the most ground ever, the most powerful ever, the farthest north ever, at the latest point in the season ever.  There were warnings but nothing like what actually happened.  Not blaming anybody, I wanna see the guy who probably correctly projected this out using his severe climate models but was probably told to shut the fuck up because of his alarmist conclusions.  

gonna go out on a limb and assume that all the aid needed goes to states like Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Missouri.  No matter who is in D.C. and no matter who is in charge in those states...we will come together as a nation and help those folks in any way we can.  Illinois is gonna get fucked on this though, watch. 

4 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Nocturnal tornados are more dangerous. 

Just tried to do a rough estimate and it's like 400 miles between the eastern and westernmost tornado reports on that map looking at the pattern from Arkansas to Kentucky. 

That's insane. 

6 hours ago, Hate said:

In the 1957 outbreak I linked to above, there were 2 EF4 and 1 EF5 tornadoes in Illinois in December over the course 0f 2 days.  It is rare in the grand scheme of things, but it has happened before and will happen again.  I'm sure it happened hundreds of years ago when there were only Native Americans here. 

‘I’m holding a snowball. This proves global warming is a hoax!’

inhoffe-2.jpg?w=990

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

inhoffe-2.jpg?w=990

I thought about posting that photo myself. 

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

gonna go out on a limb and assume that all the aid needed goes to states like Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Missouri.  No matter who is in D.C. and no matter who is in charge in those states...we will come together as a nation and help those folks in any way we can.  Illinois is gonna get fucked on this though, watch. 

I think we should, and we will.  But let's not forget these are the Bootstrap People who don't believe in climate change or gubbermint handouts or voting rights. 

inhoffe-2.jpg?w=990

See, I never said anything like “global warming doesn’t exist”. I posted facts to counter the thought that this has never happened before. It has happened before, it will happen again, and has absolutely nothing to do with global warming. Don’t let facts upset you.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hate said:

See, I never said anything like “global warming doesn’t exist”. I posted facts to counter the thought that this has never happened before. It has happened before, it will happen again, and has absolutely nothing to do with global warming. Don’t let facts upset you.

“Has absolutely nothing to do with global warming” is a load of shit. Global warming makes severe storms like this much more frequent and anyone who still refuses to acknowledge that basic fact isn't a clever contrarian, but a fucking moron.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

“Has absolutely nothing to do with global warming” is a load of shit. Global warming makes severe storms like this much more frequent and anyone who still refuses to acknowledge that basic fact isn't a clever contrarian, but a fucking moron.

When was the last time this occurred?  If they are more frequent why are there so many people on this very site talking about how it's never happened?  Goddam.  What happened was the weather.  It's happened before and it will happen again.  One can recognize a weather event while also recognizing that we should do all in our power to make the Earth cleaner.  The last recorded EF5 in the US was in 2013...eight years ago.  That's the longest period of time without an EF5 since 1953.  Weird. There were fewer tornadoes in the 2010's than in previous years despite advanced radar capable of picking them up wherever and whenever they occur.  Weird. 

USE%20Tornadoes%20By%20Decade%201950-201

I thought you liked facts and science? 

Edited by Hate
Spelling error...I am a grammar natzi
  • Hook 'Em 1