no.2 overall recruit in the nation decommits from Florida State to go play for Coach Prime at Jackson State

shadow_operative

Jackson State has a lot of talent at WR so he'll practice against some dudes.
Quaydarius Davis - 4-star, #23 player in Texas last year
Trevonte Rucker- 4-Star, #47 player in Florida last year
Malachi Wideman- Former 4-Star, Transfer from Tennessee
Isaiah Bolden- Former 4-Star, Transfer from FSU
Plus more transfers at WR from Indiana (2), Houston, and Louisville

That’s a better receiver group than whatever you call what we shit all over the field this season.
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

You understand this kid was committed to Florida State, right? They fucking suck. Talk about an inferior coaching staff as well. This kid is a cornerback going to play for maybe the greatest cornerback to ever play. Oh and get a lot of money while doing it. It’s not that stupid of a decision no matter how bad you want it to be.

Agree with this 100%. Comparing the shitty coaching at Florida State to what one of the greatest defensive backs that ever played the game can offer. Who do you think NFL execs will respect the opinion of more? Deon, or whomever is even coaching Florida State this week.

Just now, Farmerted said:

I can’t believe this haven’t happened on a larger scale already , with Nil maybe it will . There’s no reason it couldn’t work for Basketball 2-3 players and your in the tournament . 

Can you imagine if Kevin Durant had gone to UTEP? Nobody would have ever heard of him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Farmerted said:

I can’t believe this haven’t happened on a larger scale already , with Nil maybe it will . There’s no reason it couldn’t work for Basketball 2-3 players and your in the tournament . 

Basketball is either going to be awesome or a total clusterfuck.  And yeah, it won't take much to get teams into the tournament.  

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

unless what you want is to face the best competition and get the best coaching.

Yeah, why would anyone ever go to a a school for more than just the sports opportunity.  The nerve of these kids!

Your position seems to be you think HBCUs are inferior and shouldn’t get top athletic talent. Travis Hunter disagrees.

3 hours ago, Deej said:

How the fuck can Strahan not afford Invisaligns?

Same reason Anthony David can't afford to have someone pluck his damn eye brows.  For some odd reason, by now he sees it as part of his brand.  And I'll be honest, post NFL he's managed to do as much as anyone in recent memory.  Fucker is making absolute bank, doesn't matter if we all think about kicking field goals every time he smiles. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Covri said:

Yeah, why would anyone ever go to a a school for more than just the sports opportunity.  The nerve of these kids!

Your position seems to be you think HBCUs are inferior and shouldn’t get top athletic talent. Travis Hunter disagrees.

my position is crystal clear: in life, if you are prodigiously talented at something and have an opportunity to not just make a living, but to potentially attain generational wealth by perfecting your craft, then pursuing the absolute best coaching, training, and learning possible is clearly a more intelligent option than surrounding yourself with subpar peers, teachers, and coaches. Particularly so in a sport like football where becoming accustomed to the size of the players and the speed of the game is paramount to your success.

this is not a controversial opinion. this is a completely rational and obvious take. you guys can freak out, and whine, and cry about how "derka gonna derka" all you want, but it won't change these facts.

Edited by shadow_operative

I haven't seen a thread full on Derka'd in a while.  This is the shit I remember.  I know you don't want to hear this Derka, but most people here are somewhere between 'dumbest decision of all time' and 'most genius decision of all time'.  I think he could have made a better choice but don't think it's suicide like you seem to want us all to believe. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

unless what you want is to face the best competition and get the best coaching.

His DC's resume...

Phoenix Cardinals (1988–1989)
Defensive backs coach

Ohio Glory (1992)
Defensive coordinator

USC (1993–2000)
Defensive backs coach

Baltimore Ravens (2002–2003)
Defensive assistant

Baltimore Ravens (2004–2007)
Defensive backs coach

New York Jets (2008–2012)
Defensive backs coach

New York Jets (2013–2014)
Defensive coordinator

Buffalo Bills (2015–2016)
Defensive coordinator

Jackson State (2020–present)
Defensive coordinator

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

btw, don't tell me for one second that all of you rich ass UT alums who graduated McCombs Business School aren't putting your kids in top tier private schools as opposed to the local public craphole schools. don't act like you don't know exactly what i'm talking about here. don't tell me that if your kid was a music prodigy with offers to go to Juilliard and Berklee that you'd just send them to Appalachian State instead, all because their favorite cellist got a job there.

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

I chose to go to OU.  I was easily into UT - financially it was an issue for me as I was out of state, unlike the rest of my extended family.  My brother went to Johns Hopkins.  I was put on a wait list at a top med school and decided I didn't want to wait a year and went to what was considered a total shithole med school compared to Hopkins and where I was wait listed.  I also had several MD/MBA options but felt my undergrad business degree taught me all I needed for what I wanted to do in the business/medical field.  Trust me, lots of people thought I was a total bozo for these decisions.  I laugh at everyone who went to those schools today as I've banked well into the 9 figures doing what I do founding and still running the largest group in my specialty.  Fuck Hopkins, Harvard, and McCombs. 

Yeah, but think how much better off you'd be if you had Coach Derka plan things for you. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I haven't seen a thread full on Derka'd in a while.  This is the shit I remember.  I know you don't want to hear this Derka, but most people here are somewhere between 'dumbest decision of all time' and 'most genius decision of all time'.  I think he could have made a better choice but don't think it's suicide like you seem to want us all to believe. 

i don't necessarily think that it is suicide for this kid. if this guy really is the absolute real deal then it may not affect him as much as it would another player. still, as i said before, think of how many 5* and 4* stud prospects flame out even with all of the advantages of going to a big, wealthy, established program. i can't see argument that says that going the HBCU route wouldn't have a negative impact on the average top -50 recruit as opposed to him going to his choice of major d-1 programs. there's a reason all of the best recruits have chosen P5 schools over 1-AA schools for all of these years.

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i don't necessarily think that it is suicide for this kid. if this guy really is the absolute real deal then it may not affect him as much as it would another player. still, as i said before, think of how many 5* and 4* stud prospects flame out even with all of the advantages of going to a big, wealthy, established program. i can't see argument that says that going the HBCU route wouldn't have a negative impact on the average top -50 recruit as opposed to him going to his choice of major d-1 programs. there's a reason all of the best recruits have chosen P5 schools over 1-AA schools for all of these years.

I guess I'm a fortune favors the bold type of clown.  I like seeing dudes blaze their own trail.  I wish him well, just like I'm sure you do.  I definitely see your point - I'm just saying I don't think it's a big deal at all.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

His DC's resume...

Phoenix Cardinals (1988–1989)
Defensive backs coach

Ohio Glory (1992)
Defensive coordinator

USC (1993–2000)
Defensive backs coach

Baltimore Ravens (2002–2003)
Defensive assistant

Baltimore Ravens (2004–2007)
Defensive backs coach

New York Jets (2008–2012)
Defensive backs coach

New York Jets (2013–2014)
Defensive coordinator

Buffalo Bills (2015–2016)
Defensive coordinator

Jackson State (2020–present)
Defensive coordinator

That's wild.  Between this post and the one naming all the 4 star talent he's up against in practice at WR, I'm actually thinking it's not only 'not stupid' but actually pretty damn smart. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I guess I'm a fortune favors the bold type of clown.  I like seeing dudes blaze their own trail.  I wish him well, just like I'm sure you do.  I definitely see your point - I'm just saying I don't think it's a big deal at all.  

i definitely do wish him well. it would be amazing if he led the nation in both receptions and INTs. i seriously hope he does something like that. 

5 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Dude do you realize that you're starting to sound a little racist??

I'm not saying you are, but your arguement is fucking lame.

The kid is taking a position that is obviously important to him.

has nothing to do with the fact that it's an HBCU, it's simply the fact that it's a 1-AA school. 

It's not like the kid committed to Texas Southern. JSU has a sufficient coaching staff with some talent in spots on the team. Threadstarter obviously has a very low opinion regarding Swac/Meac football and it might be warranted. But that narrative could always change. The players make the school and not the other way around. If top end talent was to start going to these schools everything would change. They honestly have a chance now if they are able to get their alumni behind NIL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Florida state current DC: 0 years NFL coaching experience, 0 years NFL playing experience

Florida state current DB coach: 0 years NFL coaching experience, 0 years NFL playing experience

Jackson State current DC: 12 years NFL coaching experience, 8 years NFL playing experience

Jackson State current DB coach: 0 years NFL coaching experience, 9 years NFL playing experience

@shadow_operative

• Hook 'Em 1

I see this as a prep year for him.  Go get groomed for a year, by one of the best to ever do it, and then transfer to an ideal situation at a P5 powerhouse.  Start for 2 seasons and then get drafted in the 1st round.  This is assuming he doesn’t suffer a Marcus Lattimore like catastrophic career ending injury.  But if he does, at least he’s pocketed a few extra million in the process.  So yes, it’s incredibly stupid.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Florida state current DC: 0 years NFL coaching experience, 0 years NFL playing experience

Florida state current DB coach: 0 years NFL coaching experience, 0 years NFL playing experience

Jackson State current DC: 12 years NFL coaching experience, 8 years NFL playing experience

Jackson State current DB coach: 0 years NFL coaching experience, 9 years NFL playing experience

@shadow_operative

Texas DB rooms in my lifetime*

1983- Jerry Gray, Mossy Cade, Richard Peavy, Jeff Leiving, Craig Curry

1996- Bryant Westbrook, Taje Allen, Chris Carter, Tre Thomas 

2001- Quentin Jammer, Nathan Vasher, Rod Babers, Ahmad Brooks 

2005- Michael Huff, Aaron Ross, Michael Griffin, Cedric Griffin, Tarrell Brown

2009- Earl Thomas, Aaron Williams, Kenny Vaccarro, Curtis Brown, Chykie Brown, 

*i was born in 1984, close enough 

There is nothing that any 1-AA school can offer for a player's that can even remotely approach the value of testing yourself day in, day out against very best. i'm happy for Deion that he's got himself some good coaches and players, but even he can't replicate what it means to live, eat, breath, train with, and compete against other players who are at or above your level. again, steel sharpens steel, and the steel they have at Jackson State can't compete with that if major D-1 programs. 

I have two takeaways from this.

1) Barstool Sports just became one of the biggest power brokers in college athletics.

2) Jackson State is going to (once again?) be ruined because of this. The NCAA is too chickenshit to go after big fish, but Jackson State is the perfect target for them. They'll start sniffing around and come up with something. As soon as they put the tiniest bit of heat on, Deion is out of there and honestly after this recruitment he's probably going to get another job anyway, and the NCAA will drop the hammer on Jackson State because they're a bunch of cowards.

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Fuck if, I'm gonna hope ESPN shows a game so I can see this kid play. He's already got me and others curious. I'll definitely never forget his name, for good or bad  

JSU was on TV multiple times this year. And Derka is severely overrating the majority of P5 programs. A lot of them do not have the very best, when it comes to talent, nor the best coaching by default just because they are a P5 school.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Fuck if, I'm gonna hope ESPN shows a game so I can see this kid play. He's already got me and others curious. I'll definitely never forget his name, for good or bad  

They were really the only FCS team that was on linear ESPN networks this Spring and had one game and the SWAC title game on ESPN networks this Fall. I'm sure ESPN is going to move some games to ESPN2 or ESPNU in the Fall depending on the TV contracts.

• Like 1

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

JSU was on TV multiple times this year. And Derka is severely overrating the majority of P5 programs. A lot of them do not have the very best, when it comes to talent, nor the best coaching by default just because they are a P5 school.

I didn't know they were shown, but now that this kid is playing there they have my attention. P5 or FCS, I don't give a fuck. If a kid can play, he can play. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

my position is crystal clear: in life, if you are prodigiously talented at something and have an opportunity to not just make a living, but to potentially attain generational wealth by perfecting your craft, then pursuing the absolute best coaching, training, and learning possible is clearly a more intelligent option than surrounding yourself with subpar peers, teachers, and coaches. Particularly so in a sport like football where becoming accustomed to the size of the players and the speed of the game is paramount to your success.

this is not a controversial opinion. this is a completely rational and obvious take. you guys can freak out, and whine, and cry about how "derka gonna derka" all you want, but it won't change these facts.

How many kids you raised?  Not in the colloquial sense, and no, I'm not pulling the "i'm a dad, you ain't "card.

Bottom line is if your kid wants to go do something that's still constructive, you generally support it and tell him or her to go kick ass.

If they waiver on the path you thought might be best, at a certain point, you swallow it and move the fuck on.  It comes down to sharing information and asking the kid, "Can you live with this choice?  Can you live with these advantages you're giving up?"

I'm cool with a kid saying, "I hear you, Dad; but this is what I really want."

If being around the best staff and best teammates possible was the only input in the kid’s decision-making process as you seem to think it should be, he would have never committed to fucking FSU in the first place.

Most of life’s biggest decisions are made with a lot of varying inputs and reasons thrown in the mix. Pretending to know what another person should decide based on what you think is important when you actually know nothing about him is super gross.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2