billfromlaketravis

I thinking recently about what my save this show. A dynamic character like Charles Goodnight or Oliver Loving? Maybe some Texas Rangers show up and do some cool shit. 

I think the journey to Oregon has already dragged on too long, and they're in Oklahoma, maybe Kansas? I don't think another season of life on the trail will work. 

What helped Lonesome Dover is the detours and breaks the book/mini series took. The downfall of Jake Spoon. Blue Duck. The Arkansas River trip. Clara's ranch in Nebraska. It wasn't all crossing rivers, bad weather, and stampedes. At least in the mini-series, it made the story a good hang and not a bleak journey across a God forsaken land. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I thinking recently about what my save this show. A dynamic character like Charles Goodnight or Oliver Loving? Maybe some Texas Rangers show up and do some cool shit. 

I think the journey to Oregon has already dragged on too long, and they're in Oklahoma, maybe Kansas? I don't think another season of life on the trail will work. 

What helped Lonesome Dover is the detours and breaks the book/mini series took. The downfall of Jake Spoon. Blue Duck. The Arkansas River trip. Clara's ranch in Nebraska. It wasn't all crossing rivers, bad weather, and stampedes. At least in the mini-series, it made the story a good hang and not a bleak journey across a God forsaken land. 

Charles Goodnight has already made an appearance. Played by, you guessed it, Taylor Sheridan. 

12 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Charles Goodnight has already made an appearance. Played by, you guessed it, Taylor Sheridan. 

Jesus. Sheridan did cast himself as Goodnight. I though he was playing an archetype, not the man himself. 

Billy Bob has been in one episode. Why do we keep falling for this shit? Major actor is featured prominently in the promotional materials and he appears in just one episode. Yeah short of Billy Bob inexplicably joining the wagon train, this show can't be saved. 

I guess Billy Bob is in the Sheridan-Verse now. Looking forward to these two guest starring in Land Man. 

Mayor of Kingstown Season 1 E03 "Simply Murder" Lacks Payoff: Review

image.jpeg.0558c71172e68e000c97e6aa44576167.jpeg

Edited by billfromlaketravis

7 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Maybe I’m missing something.  But, I don’t think Elsa’s commentary is a contemporary “play-by-play.”  I think it’s more of her reflections … telling the story … years in the future.

I listen to it like it's Elsa 20 years in the future writing a memoir on her adventures and it seems like it works for me.  

• Like 2

Episode 5 - Elsa falls madly in love with Ennis and ready to have his baby but then Ennis died.

Episode 6 - Elsa mourns Ennis.

Episode 7 - Elsa develops an interest in Sam.

Episode 8 - Elsa falls madly in love with Sam, marries him, and is ready to leave her family behind for life as a Comanche.

Perhaps the Ennis or the Sam storylines would be fine on their own, but to put both of them within a span of 4 episodes is laughable. It cheapens Elsa’s character, reduces her to being a naive boy crazy teenager, and it cheapens the overall story which we mostly see through her eyes. If both of these love interests were important, they should’ve been separated by at least a season.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, veritas aequitas said:

So they are talking about another prequel called 1932 now. This shit is getting out of hand 

Oh shit you were serious lol

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a39096114/yellowstone-tv-prequel-1932/

The next chapter of the Yellowstone universe will follow the Duttons during Prohibition and the Great Depression.

Edited by utxmike05

16 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Oh shit you were serious lol

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a39096114/yellowstone-tv-prequel-1932/

The next chapter of the Yellowstone universe will follow the Duttons during Prohibition and the Great Depression.

… as if the direction Yellowstone and 1883 are heading isn’t depressing enough?

• Hook 'Em 1

Fucking A'  - Sheridan has a bunch of new shows

1932 - Sequel to 1883

Bass Reeves - David Oyelowo playing the first African-American sheriff policing Oklahoma Territory

The Tulsa King - Sylvester Stallone, gangster hanging out in Tulsa.

Lioness - Show about CIA and Special Forces - Zoe Saldana, Nicole Kidman, intelligence stories

Land Man - Billy Bob Thornton is a crisis manager for an oil field company.

On 2/15/2022 at 10:33 PM, wild_turkey said:

Episode 5 - Elsa falls madly in love with Ennis and ready to have his baby but then Ennis died.

Episode 6 - Elsa mourns Ennis.

Episode 7 - Elsa develops an interest in Sam.

Episode 8 - Elsa falls madly in love with Sam, marries him, and is ready to leave her family behind for life as a Comanche.

Perhaps the Ennis or the Sam storylines would be fine on their own, but to put both of them within a span of 4 episodes is laughable. It cheapens Elsa’s character, reduces her to being a naive boy crazy teenager, and it cheapens the overall story which we mostly see through her eyes. If both of these love interests were important, they should’ve been separated by at least a season.

Don't forget that she was already back to flirting with Ennis' replacement cowboy within a week of his death.  But then Sam came along and caught her eye.  

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fucking A'  - Sheridan has a bunch of new shows

1932 - Sequel to 1883

Bass Reeves - David Oyelowo playing the first African-American sheriff policing Oklahoma Territory

The Tulsa King - Sylvester Stallone, gangster hanging out in Tulsa.

Lioness - Show about CIA and Special Forces - Zoe Saldana, Nicole Kidman, intelligence stories

Land Man - Billy Bob Thornton is a crisis manager for an oil field company.

He's getting the Shyamalan treatment. Everything will suck. Especially with his cameos in each production.

Going to watch as soon as this Sammy Davis, Jr bio on American Masters is over. Which everyone should check out, it's great.

OK, thought it was a great episode even though it was seriously foreshadowed. 

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

This show is so damn good. All of the performances by every actor have a floor of damn good to great. Tim McGraw, Isabel May and LaMonica Garrett all deserve Emmy’s for their roles. The past 2 episodes have been some of the best TV I have seen. I haven’t choked up battling back the tears watching an episode since the finale of Season 1 of Succession. Isabel speaking Comanche telling Sam of her love - holy hell that was some of the most romantic true love performance I have seen. I love Yellowstone for its entertainment value; 1883 is on another level of quality from the acting, screenwriting and story arc. Can’t wait for 1932 and 6666 to come out. The Yellowstone universe that Sheridan has created is the best shit on TV by far and is a mini-Star Wars universe in terms of potential for story arcs. It’s so fucking refreshing to have a show with honest account of a time period without demonization of our history and heritage as a country. That’s part of the reason of the insane popularity and mass appeal. Bravo Taylor - the payoff of 1883 was worth all the cutting horse show off he was doing as Travis on Yellowstone.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

This show is so damn good. All of the performances by every actor have a floor of damn good to great. Tim McGraw, Isabel May and LaMonica Garrett all deserve Emmy’s for their roles. The past 2 episodes have been some of the best TV I have seen. I haven’t choked up battling back the tears watching an episode since the finale of Season 1 of Succession. Isabel speaking Comanche telling Sam of her love - holy hell that was some of the most romantic true love performance I have seen. I love Yellowstone for its entertainment value; 1883 is on another level of quality from the acting, screenwriting and story arc. Can’t wait for 1932 and 6666 to come out. The Yellowstone universe that Sheridan has created is the best shit on TV by far and is a mini-Star Wars universe in terms of potential for story arcs. It’s so fucking refreshing to have a show with honest account of a time period without demonization of our history and heritage as a country. That’s part of the reason of the insane popularity and mass appeal. Bravo Taylor - the payoff of 1883 was worth all the cutting horse show off he was doing as Travis on Yellowstone.

Agree 100% with this take, save for the scene in ep. 4 where you can see the Cadillac Ranch in the background. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Put me down for pretty much the opposite of all of this. But I’ll still watch it, it’s just a tv show. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The finale was about 20 minutes too long. 

I think the show has potential. The worst character is gone, and Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, especially Tim McGraw, are surprisingly good actors. 

What the fuck is wrong with you. If you can’t appreciate Elsa and the narrative from her POV, there is something seriously wrong with you as a person. Fuck off and don’t come back to this thread.

I give this series a B- overall.

What I liked: acting, visuals, music.

What I didn’t like: the story.

None of these people were anywhere close to being prepared for the wagon journey they set out on.

Shea is possibly the worst because he and Thomas agreed to guide a group of ill-prepared Germans who couldn’t hunt or swim, which ultimately cost most of them their lives. It probably would’ve cost all of them their lives if not for James agreeing to help out free of charge. I guess he wanted to do this so he could shoot himself on a beach, which it sucks that he took everyone else on a death journey with him.

James isn’t much better. Led his family by train from Tennessee to Fort Worth, then by wagon to Montana. Not sure what exactly his motivations were for doing that, although I’ll admit maybe it was explained in episode 1 and I just forgot. It resulted in the death of his daughter, SIL, and niece. He may have been slightly better prepared, but they mentioned early on that his family wouldn’t survive the journey solo, so he had to buddy up with a band of misfits.

Just seems stupid all around, and that’s not even counting the fact that apparently train travel to the American West was fairly accessible in 1883.

And then Elsa… I actually liked her character but the inclusion of back-to-back Ennis/Sam head over heels love interests really degraded her story arc for me. They should’ve made Ennis just a casual fling to make the Sam part more authentic.

I think Taylor Sheridan creates good environments but lacks substance. Probably done with his shows at this point, which is fine because there is plenty of better TV out there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1