billfromlaketravis

But seriously, iron's forging temperature is about 2500F. I would assume it would have to get at least that hot for the barrel to droop. Black power's auto ignition temperature is between 392 and 867F per the SDS on Goex black powder. There's no way a muzzleloader could get that hot without immediately igniting any powder poured down the barrel. And that's assuming they could even handle it at those temperatures. A breechloader would suffer the same fate. Whether it used paper cartridges or metallic ones, there is no way the powder would fail to ignite long before the barrel melted.

12 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

But seriously, iron's forging temperature is about 2500F. I would assume it would have to get at least that hot for the barrel to droop. Black power's auto ignition temperature is between 392 and 867F per the SDS on Goex black powder. There's no way a muzzleloader could get that hot without immediately igniting any powder poured down the barrel. And that's assuming they could even handle it at those temperatures. A breechloader would suffer the same fate. Whether it used paper cartridges or metallic ones, there is no way the powder would fail to ignite long before the barrel melted.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Angry Gorilla said:

That, and so we can get the thread back on track and not just volleying quotes from some old crappy song.

How Dare You Wtf GIF by Sky

That was an amazing song.   I knew all of the lyrics before I turned 10. I will soon be introducing my oldest kid to it. 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Brazos runs from up there (between FW and Abilene) down to the Gulf.

But they were on the Red and talked of heading east to Denison. They would have had to go way South to hit the Brazos and if they crossed the Brazos at anytime leaving Ft Worth they would have to cross again to get to the Red unless they really went west around it.

And they could just avoid them both going to Oregon by going on a northwestern path between them.

Edited by veritas aequitas
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I understand Sheridan wanting to convey just how devastating crossing a river in the old west can be, we all played Oregon trail as kids. But damn if the river looked shallow in a bunch of scenes. Like, get out of your tube and walk shallow. 

LOL I joked to the wife that if they had just crossed like 50 yards upstream, it was about 4" deep (needed more cinematographic editing, lol!).   It was also hard to believe that the German chick wanted to get knocked up while on the starting end of the transatlantic crossing.   Some real thinkin' there.

Finally, we were rooting harder for the cattle to make it across than the people - so that part was rewarding.

Still watchable but man, it's getting lethargic now.

Seemed like 3" of water to his right, but Tim kept taking his horse into deep water, saying "this is it". Then Faith takes her buggy across in a foot of water, then the poor Germans try in 10' of water, all the while drowning and their helpers pushing their heads under water, making sure they drown.  At this point, a decent show. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Not sure why they had to cross the Brazos. Pretty sure the could have just gone between the Brazos and the Red

They left Fort Worth and headed 90-100 miles north to the Red River.  Then decided to head west by heading southwest for 200 plus miles to Abilene which required crossing the Brazos.  Due west would have taken them to Lubbock through what is now the 6666 Ranch or they could have headed northwest to Amarillo via Wichita Falls.  For some unexplained reason, they decided to go to Abilene.  Maybe they are just trying to kill off some of the Germans and Gypsies.

55 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Maybe they are just trying to kill off some of the Germans and Gypsies.

That's the only reason to take that route. Fort Worth - Wichita Falls then NW across the plains unless you want to hug the mountains.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Maybe they are just trying to kill off some of the Germans and Gypsies.

Yeah, maybe, lol.  Not only all the stuff in the most recent posts, but the Captain telling them to use horses for the trip instead of oxen, yeah, well, uh, no.  Unless you wanna die.  So I think you're right. 

(Way-too-far-out-for-anything-but-coincidence fact though... in the late 19th Century, German immigrants were fairly hated during their peak, which was about 10-20 years before this supposedly represents, about 1850s-70's, and a political party formed in the 1840's to foment anti-German sentiment.  A stretch but it's an option, lol). 

18 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I made the same comment to my wife...4 episodes and they haven't gone 150 miles...

It's because Sam has been so positive!  There should be a drinking game for everytime he talks shit about the pioneers/germans not being ready or able to make the trip.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dewey said:

Seemed like 3" of water to his right, but Tim kept taking his horse into deep water, saying "this is it". Then Faith takes her buggy across in a foot of water, then the poor Germans try in 10' of water, all the while drowning and their helpers pushing their heads under water, making sure they drown.  At this point, a decent show. 

This entire episode was about crossing a river like it was passing some evil place in Mordor (lord of the rings). 

I get it back then it was not easy...you got heavy ass stuff and you don't wanna weight yourself down and if you mush up the bottom then wagons are screwed. But maybe don't cross at the same sections to avoid following each other. 

No bridges in 1883?

Maybe empty some barrels ( I saw some left behind) so they float, add some planks and make rafts?  The river was only looked like 40-50 yards wide.

If you time it and walk through a shallow section, then you can carry some of that furniture. 

Some not so smart people...

Show is still good though!

• Like 1

Just now, utxmike05 said:

No bridges in 1883?

Funny you should ask. I grew up near Bridgeport which got it's name for the bridge across the Trinity built for the Butterfield Stage Line.

The Butterfield Overland Mail Company operated in Texas from 1858 to 1861, when the route was moved further north due to financial reasons and Civil War unrest. In the meantime a community sprang up at the location of a toll-bridge over the Trinity River, Bridgeport.

http://bridgeporttxhistorical.org/exhibition/butterfield-stage-line/

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

They left Fort Worth and headed 90-100 miles north to the Red River.  Then decided to head west by heading southwest for 200 plus miles to Abilene which required crossing the Brazos.  Due west would have taken them to Lubbock through what is now the 6666 Ranch or they could have headed northwest to Amarillo via Wichita Falls.  For some unexplained reason, they decided to go to Abilene.  Maybe they are just trying to kill off some of the Germans and Gypsies.

I hope this all get explained. The show started off really awesome before they started playing chuckwagon plinko across North Texas. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, utxmike05 said:

It's because Sam has been so positive!  There should be a drinking game for everytime he talks shit about the pioneers/germans not being ready or able to make the trip.  

lol yeah i was like 'maybe if he just, you know, talked to them like reasonable people and didn't scream and tell them YOU'RE ALL GONNA DIE! constantly they might make a little more progress'😄

having said that, i actually liked what he said about them not being musicians or carpenters anymore, that they are now PIONEERS and everything had to go to that. he's right. 

show is good. i'm really enjoying Elsa's storyline, her growing independence and the budding romance have been done well. 

• Hook 'Em 1