billfromlaketravis

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Faith Hill looks weird.

Honestly, we know from photos of the Old West that everyone was stark ugly and dirty.  I mean the "entertainment gals" in all of those pics would cause me to flee in terror.  No way I'm hitting any of those things.

But as much as Faith Hill looks like the latest Botox experiment gone wrong, she's the weakest link in this... she just looks too damn 21st Century "Cali Housewives of ______".  It's like some pampered trophy went back into time and said to the native, "can I play, too?" and they gave her an oldie dress.  She really doesn't fit.

That said, I'd hit it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Am I the only one strangely attracted to the bitch in all black ?  Haven’t gotten a great look at her face but I dig a raven haired woman.

She needs to let her hair down, and you know there’s a merry widow ensemble’ under that dress.

I would suggest you look up the actress.  There will no longer be anything strange about the attraction.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Am I the only one strangely attracted to the bitch in all black ?  Haven’t gotten a great look at her face but I dig a raven haired woman.

She needs to let her hair down, and you know there’s a merry widow ensemble’ under that dress.

damn double post

Edited by Noah Fence

since we're talking about her...whose sister was she, his or hers? 🤔 maybe we didn't know. 

the 'i've had seven children' line really packed an emotional punch, i was like 'daaaaayuuum' 😮 man life was a beating back then. people had to have a dozen children b/c one, their survival depended on how many 'hands' they had available to work physical labor every day just to survive, and also like 75% of them died.

whoever said 'this show makes us long for those golden times'...yeah you can fuck right off with that nonsense lol

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

since we're talking about her...whose sister was she, his or hers? 🤔 maybe we didn't know. 

I think she was his Sister in Law.

whoever said 'this show makes us long for those golden times'...yeah you can fuck right off with that nonsense lol

My Grandmother came to Texas in a covered wagon 1889. I remember some of the stories she told me. Said she walked most of the way from Mississippi to Wise County. She was the 2nd oldest of 3 girls and an older brother. My Grandfather's family did the same thing, but they didn't meet until they were both here. He died from cancer when I was really young, so I don't remember any of his stories.

But both of them had old time habits mostly about water use. That shit was precious even though they could turn on a tap and get all they needed. It was just engrained to conserve and reuse. Fuck those golden times, I'm taking a nice long, hot shower.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

My Grandmother came to Texas in a covered wagon 1889. I remember some of the stories she told me. Said she walked most of the way from Mississippi to Wise County. She was the 2nd oldest of 3 girls and an older brother. My Grandfather's family did the same thing, but they didn't meet until they were both here. He died from cancer when I was really young, so I don't remember any of his stories.
But both of them had old time habits mostly about water use. That shit was precious even though they could turn on a tap and get all they needed. It was just engrained to conserve and reuse. Fuck those golden times, I'm taking a nice long, hot shower.

Want to hear something crazy? I saw a news story today that talked about the oldest human of all time died in China a couple of weeks ago. She was born in 18-fucking-86. She was (allegedly) 135 years old!

20 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Want to hear something crazy? I saw a news story today that talked about the oldest human of all time died in China a couple of weeks ago. She was born in 18-fucking-86. She was (allegedly) 135 years old!

Damn, she must have seen so much history in her life. The Boxer Rebellion, the end of the Qing dynasty, an actual A&M football championship, Japanese occupation during WWII, rise of Mao and communism, 21st century globalization, Covid. Just wow.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finished Ep 3 earlier.

Those Germans were damn bright, picking up conversational English in 2 weeks like that.  

Why do these studios spend so much on these productions but then never spend much on research and facts?   

Parts of it are really good, particularly the parts that show that it was grittier and less lawless than stereotypical western fare has pushed on us.  

But sure a lot of literary license being taken too.   I guess it's just disappointing, again.  Most mini-series are pretty loose with the facts and timeline.   I'm thinking Lonesome Dove was probably most realistic to time and place.  

And oh yeah, Sam Elliot is good.  But I can't think of anyone whose appearance changes so drastically with the removal of facial hair.   

On 12/20/2021 at 6:47 PM, WithoutAClue said:

one nitpick from the show is the preference for horses over oxen to pull the wagons.

in real life on the Oregon Trail oxen were greatly preferred. not sure why they changed it here unless nobody in Hollywood knows how to wrangle oxen?

In real life, when filming, it's probably cheaper/easier for them to use trained horses than tracking down trained oxen, shipping them wherever for filming, and then shipping them back.

Because I have a feeling that's what that boiled down to.

i haven't subscribed to paramount + yet, but plan on it as i have thoroughly enjoyed the two episodes that were aired on paramount.  agree that tim mcgraw is playing the silent type to perfection (reminds me a lot of rip in yellowstone) and that isabel may's accent is probably the only negative in the show thus far.

His barrel melted? I'm not finding any references to that battle with a quick and dirty google search. Even with cartridge rifles available at the time I find it hard to believe that someone could get enough shots off quickly enough for that to happen. But I'm still enjoying it. The bad joke by the cowpoke made me chuckle. Although if I recall correctly they wouldn't have called themselves cowboys at the time...

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

His barrel melted? I'm not finding any references to that battle with a quick and dirty google search. Even with cartridge rifles available at the time I find it hard to believe that someone could get enough shots off quickly enough for that to happen. But I'm still enjoying it. The bad joke by the cowpoke made me chuckle. Although if I recall correctly they wouldn't have called themselves cowboys at the time...

It can happen.  I have heard reference of an 1814 battle where, along with Col. Jackson, soldiers fired their cannon 'til the barrel melted down.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4