The Climate thread

Laxtonto

1 hour ago, nbmishoid said:

Well, we here in the richest society ever, who have built wealth via by far leading the world in cumulative emissions, we just can’t do anything if the poor societies, who have mostly nil in cumulative emissions, relatively, can’t afford to match us. 

It’s just this weird vindictive selfishness that just still blows my mind. Why are they such horrible people?

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

other countries are more of a problem

I said this?   Just read back and it appears I didn’t. The ones I listed have zero regard for the environment though, and while we whip their ass in CO2 output, I’d like to see the comparison of dumping barrels of oil into waterways looks like between the two. Or hundreds of millions of tons of plastic in ocean between us than them.  So of course, I should give up things in I enjoy while others ass fuck our planet in ways that make your stats pretty. Makes complete sense.  

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I said this?   Just read back and it appears I didn’t. The ones I listed have zero regard for the environment though, and while we whip their ass in CO2 output, I’d like to see the comparison of dumping barrels of oil into waterways looks like between the two. Or hundreds of millions of tons of plastic in ocean between us than them.  So of course, I should give up things in I enjoy while others ass fuck our planet in ways that make your stats pretty. Makes complete sense.  

I don't think anyone is asking you to live in apostolic poverty! And it definitley needs to be a cooperative effort from all nations to tackle this.

But as citizens of the US, I do expect us to do better. I want to see our government and private industry do even more to nurture and bring to market new technologies that helps us clean up the environment and help us conserve. And I expect our goverment to persuade and nudge other countries along as well.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, YChang said:

But as citizens of the US, I do expect us to do better. I want to see our government and private industry do even more to nurture and bring to market new technologies that helps us clean up the environment and help us conserve. And I expect our goverment to persuade and nudge other countries along as well.

We are, constantly in fact.   I’m not sure I can point to a single thing that’s less efficient than it was 20 years ago. 

21 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I said this?  Just read back and it appears I didn’t.

That was the implication, yes. N.B. you didn't say it was your belief, you said it was the response of the assholes that don't want to do anything. I'm just adding context.

The ones I listed have zero regard for the environment though, and while we whip their ass in CO2 output, I’d like to see the comparison of dumping barrels of oil into waterways looks like between the two. Or hundreds of millions of tons of plastic in ocean between us than them.  So of course, I should give up things in I enjoy while others ass fuck our planet in ways that make your stats pretty. Makes complete sense.  

Asian countries in general are responsible for the vast majority of plastic waste in the ocean, no doubt. But what doesn't make sense is declining to do anything about the stuff we absolutely control because someone else does something else. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 hour ago, YChang said:

I don't think anyone is asking you to live in apostolic poverty! And it definitley needs to be a cooperative effort from all nations to tackle this.

It's called being the leader of the world.  Like it or not, we are absolutely looked to as that.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

We are, constantly in fact.   I’m not sure I can point to a single thing that’s less efficient than it was 20 years ago. 

For sure! And I want to see our industries get better as well. Everything from capping leaks from gas pipes, capturing and reusing methane from our dairy farmers, better construction practices... and actual real punishments for industries that don't follow the laws already on the books.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YChang said:

For sure! And I want to see our industries get better as well. Everything from capping leaks from gas pipes, capturing and reusing methane from our dairy farmers, better construction practices... and actual real punishments for industries that don't follow the laws already on the books.

Agree 100%. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Agree.  I'm not going to give up the heroin that I so much enjoy when others are alcoholics!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Negged (really). 

Don't create permission structures that excuse bad behavior.

• Hook 'Em 2

Hawaii is getting hotter and drying out.

How Climate Change Turned Lush Hawaii Into a Tinderbox
Declining rainfall, rising temperatures and invasive species have left the islands more susceptible to wildfires.

The fires in Hawaii would be shocking anywhere — killing at least 36 people, in one of the deadliest wildfires in the United States in modern history. But the devastation is especially striking because of where it happened: In a state defined by its lush vegetation, a far cry from the dry landscape normally associated with fire threats.

The explanation is as straightforward as it is sobering: As the planet heats up, no place is protected from disasters.

The story of this week’s blaze arguably began decades ago, when Hawaii started experiencing a long-term decline in average annual rainfall. Since 1990, rainfall at selected monitoring sites has been 31 percent lower in the wet season, and 6 percent lower in the dry season, according to work published in 2015 by researchers at the University of Hawaii and the University of Colorado.

There are multiple reasons for that change, according to Abby Frazier, a climatologist at Clark University who has researched Hawaii.

One factor is La Niña, a weather pattern that has usually led to significant rainfall but began delivering less precipitation beginning in the 1980s. Those weaker La Niñas “are not bringing us out of drought,” Dr. Frazier said in an interview earlier this year.

Another change: As temperatures increase, the clouds over Hawaii are thinner, Dr. Frazier said. And less cloud cover means less precipitation. On top of that, big storms have been moving north over time — delivering less of the rainfall that they typically bring to the islands.

All three changes are probably related to rising temperatures, Dr. Frazier said. “There’s likely a climate change signal in everything we see,” she said.

Almost 16 percent of Maui County, where the wildfires are burning, is in severe drought, according to data issued by the U.S. Drought Monitor on Thursday; an additional 20 percent is in moderate drought.

As average annual rainfall has been decreasing, average temperatures in Hawaii, like elsewhere in the world, have increased, further drying out the vegetation. In a paper published in 2019, University of Hawaii researchers wrote that 2016 was warmer than the 100-year mean by .92 degrees Celsius, and temperatures had been inching up by .19 Celsius per decade at the Mauna Loa Observatory.

Hawaii’s landscape is changing in other ways, beyond becoming drier. As wildfires become more common, some native vegetation, which is poorly adapted to fire, has been destroyed. In other places, including the area around Lahaina, longstanding sugar cane farms stopped operating around the 1990s; the land stopped getting irrigated.

In the place of those crops and native vegetation, dry and invasive grasses spread. Those grasses that are better able to regrow after a fire, but are also quick to ignite. That has contributed to fires spreading more quickly.

“The landscape is just covered with flammable stuff,” said Ryan Longman, a research fellow at the East-West Center, an educational institution. “All of the conditions just came together.”

The drying out of Hawaii’s landscape is part of a trend affecting rainforests around the globe.

Rainforests are highly sensitive to changes in precipitation. Higher temperatures, drought and changes in rain patterns stress trees. Their trunks dry up, and their leaves fall. Thinning canopy allows sun rays to reach the soil, causing it to dry up quickly.

Over decades, drought, heat, fire and deforestation can force a rainforest to transition into dry grasslands, or savanna.

Parts of the Amazon rainforest, the biggest in the world, are fast approaching this transition, a point of no return when the humid ecosystem would forever change.

Degraded forests and changing weather patterns combine to create perfect conditions for fires, often started by human activity, to grow into enormous, uncontrollable blazes. In tropical forests, tree loss because of fire has grown 5 percent on average each year over the past 20 years, according to recent research.

Those underlying threats were amplified in Hawaii this week by a separate threat: Hurricane Dora, which passed south of Hawaii as a Category 4 storm on Tuesday. Though the storm was hundreds of miles off the coast of Maui, it contributed to wind speeds of greater than 60 miles per hour, helping the fire to spread at a ferocious speed.

It’s difficult to directly attribute any single hurricane to climate change. But by increasing air and ocean temperatures, warming conditions make it more likely for large storms to gain strength.

“The massive winds, dry winds, are what drove this fire,” said Josh Stanbro, who served as chief resilience officer for Honolulu. “This is part of a long-term trend that is directly related to climate changes and impacts on the islands.”

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

That was the implication, yes. N.B. you didn't say it was your belief, you said it was the response of the assholes that don't want to do anything. I'm just adding context.

Asian countries in general are responsible for the vast majority of plastic waste in the ocean, no doubt. But what doesn't make sense is declining to do anything about the stuff we absolutely control because someone else does something else. 

Christomighty, DH, don’t confuse me with FF.  

On 8/11/2023 at 12:57 PM, fattyflattie said:

I know we are still the largest offenders. I’m just telling you why half the US population isn’t going to change their ways when others are encouraged to fuck the planet up. Not when you can move one state north and 80% of your everyday climate issues disappear. 

I gotta say, "conservative Americans are opposed to measures to mitigate climate change because they're concerned for the environmental destruction carried out in Africa and India" is a new line of bullshit I never thought I'd see.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I gotta say, "conservative Americans are opposed to measures to mitigate climate change because they're concerned for the environmental destruction carried out in Africa and India" is a new line of bullshit I never thought I'd see.

Not really, it's one of the staples.  "You want me to get rid of my truck/way of life for a electric shitbox when they can freely burn tires and mine and generally rape the planet over in shitholestan?" has been said as long as I can remember.    

17 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

This is actually really surprising to me. I swear the judge made a comment earlier that was something along the lines of "understanding that I'm probably not ruling in your favor, what are you asking for if I do?"

It's undoubtedly good for Montana, but I'm interested in hearing more about the federal case mentioned in the last paragraph:

Environmental advocates have hoped that a favorable ruling in Montana could put pressure not only on state leaders but also on other courts where similar litigation is pending. Our Children’s Trust, which is helping guide the Montana case, won a preliminary victory in June when a judge ruled that a case against the federal government in Oregon could go to trial.

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Now apply that way of thinking to other topics:

• You want me to stop treating minorities like shit when people in other countries can treat their minorities like shit?
  • You want me to pay taxes when people in other countries can get away with not paying theirs?
  • You want me to stop beating my wife and kids when men in other countries get to do that?

It's a shitty argument made by shitty people who want to do shitty things.

Dude.  "Shitty" is our national brand.  We polish it shiny and wear it proudly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Ken Burns has a new documentary airing in October about the American Buffalo (bison).  There was an hour long panel discussion today on PBS with him and 3 Native American experts on the bison and how it has shaped America over time.  It was really great, but the question that was asked everyone on the panel, and I think is a really thought provoking and important one:

Why do Americans have a need to destroy?

• Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is why "American exceptionalism" is such a stupid canard.  Most Americans are like fatty -- selfish assholes who couldn't strive for the greater good if theirs lives depended on it.

"I need a boat!!!"

Hah. One of us is a boomer that burned leaded gas for decades without a care in the world.  I could probably not inflict as much damage as you have if I tried.  But you got yours, and now it’s time for change. Selfish asshole indeed. 

Edited by fattyflattie
Nvm
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Hah. One of us is a boomer that burned leaded gas for decades without a care in the world.  I could probably not inflict as much damage as you have if I tried.  But you got yours, and now it’s time for change. Selfish asshole indeed. 

I've literally never purchased leaded gasoline even once in my life, you stooge.  Good luck with that boat.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've literally never purchased leaded gasoline even once in my life, you stooge.  Good luck with that boat.

Well, I had you pinned for much older.  Maybe it’s something other than your unfounded self righteousness and whining that made me think boomer, who knows?

You understand I’ve not been without at least one since I was 15?  
The boat meme you think is funny is about my end goal of owning a very large, very expensive, very fuel inefficient one. The joke is so very funny though.  I know, how about one about guns? Ha. Ha. Ha.    

The predictable part is your immediate jump to personal attacks; there is no need for that. The heat sucks this year, I get it.  I’ve been working my entire life to have a place on the coast, and now that it’s time, it’s all stop and now looking more and more like Colorado.  Pretty fucking disheartening.   But, as long as we are leading the world in restrictions, who cares!!1!1. 

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, I had you pinned for much older.  Maybe it’s something other than your unfounded self righteousness and whining that made me think boomer, who knows?

I am technically a boomer, tail end.  Born 1963.  Just turned 60.  The leaded gasoline ban went into effect in 1975, when I was 12.  I got my license when I was 16, and drove my parents' sweet '78 Cutlass Brougham when allowed.  It looked just like this.  Even had a sunroof.  I was pimpin' for a band nerd who was really good at math and physics and who barely wrestled varsity . . . every once in awhile:

image.png.5360f641415b941cea8e1e0dc0cdf268.png

Edited by jimmyjazz

50 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is why "American exceptionalism" is such a stupid canard.  Most Americans are like fatty -- selfish assholes who couldn't strive for the greater good if their lives depended on it.

"I need a boat!!!"

Jesus this is sad. Do you really think this way?

57 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You’re surprised people don’t want to have things forced on them for the “greater good”?  When 75% of the rest of the planet can’t muster 1 solitary fuck? 

Sorry Jimmy meant to quote this one my bad. 

• Haha 6

19 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You’re surprised people don’t want to have things forced on them for the “greater good”?  When 75% of the rest of the planet can’t muster 1 solitary fuck? 

No, I'm not surprised. I'm a parent and have had to listen to similar "what about Tommy and Suzie" arguments by my child before. Have you never used the classic line, "If they all jumped off a bridge, would you do it, too?"

You really don't seem to grasp the situation at hand.

1. Globally, CO2 emissions were at 4.69 tons per person in 2021 (the last year I could find), raising global temperatures at a historically unprecedented rate. Unfortunately, global emissions increased by 13% per capita from 2000 to 2021.
  2. In the US, we emitted 14.86 tons per person in 2021. The good news is that Americans have collectively reduced our emissions by 30% from 2000, so we're going in the right direction, and our quality of life hasn't decreased, but we still have far to go. Currently, we rank at #12 as the worst emitters on the planet from a per capita viewpoint.
  3. Until we can even reach the global average of 4.69 tons, we don't have any business lecturing anyone below it.
  4. And, yes, we SHOULD be concerned about those countries seeing dramatic increases, especially large countries with already high per capita emissions.

Here's a spoilered table of data copy/pasted from this source: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/co-emissions-per-capita?tab=table&time=2000..latest

Spoiler
Annual CO₂ emissions (per capita)           Rank    
tonnes per capita           Emissions Reductions Reductions
  2000 2021 # chg. % chg.   per Capita # chg. % chg.
Qatar 52.65 35.59 -17.06 -32.4%   1 3 30
Bahrain 26.42 26.66 0.24 0.9%   2 119 82
Kuwait 27.59 24.97 -2.62 -9.5%   3 31 70
Trinidad and Tobago 18.16 23.68 5.52 30.4%   4 215 126
Brunei 13.75 23.53 9.78 71.1%   5 218 167
United Arab Emirates 34.13 21.79 -12.34 -36.2%   6 4 21
New Caledonia 10.02 19.10 9.08 90.6%   7 217 182
Saudi Arabia 13.75 18.70 4.95 36.0%   8 213 131
Oman 9.19 17.92 8.73 95.0%   9 216 184
Australia 18.38 15.09 -3.29 -17.9%   10 19 57
Mongolia 3.03 15.03 12.00 396.0%   11 219 214
United States 21.30 14.86 -6.44 -30.2%   12 7 34
Sint Maarten (Dutch part) 19.34 14.70 -4.64 -24.0%   13 9 46
Kazakhstan 9.68 14.41 4.73 48.9%   14 211 148
Canada 18.47 14.30 -4.17 -22.6%   15 13 49
Palau 10.58 13.21 2.63 24.9%   16 208 117
Faroe Islands 15.08 13.20 -1.88 -12.5%   17 37 67
Turkmenistan 8.20 13.09 4.89 59.6%   18 212 160
Luxembourg 19.99 13.07 -6.92 -34.6%   19 5 23
Russia 10.07 12.10 2.03 20.2%   20 200 110
South Korea 9.40 11.89 2.49 26.5%   21 205 121
Taiwan 10.23 11.85 1.62 15.8%   22 192 102
Libya 9.22 11.06 1.84 20.0%   23 197 108
Saint Pierre and Miquelon 8.72 10.51 1.79 20.5%   24 196 111
Curacao 34.98 9.69 -25.29 -72.3%   25 1 1
Czechia 12.42 9.24 -3.18 -25.6%   26 21 42
Anguilla 7.94 9.17 1.23 15.5%   27 184 100
Iceland 10.39 9.11 -1.28 -12.3%   28 46 69
Greenland 11.88 9.08 -2.80 -23.6%   29 24 48
Poland 8.25 8.58 0.33 4.0%   30 129 88
Japan 9.97 8.57 -1.40 -14.0%   31 44 63
Bermuda 8.42 8.53 0.11 1.3%   32 105 84
Iran 5.63 8.52 2.89 51.3%   33 210 153
Belgium 12.35 8.24 -4.11 -33.3%   34 14 28
Germany 11.03 8.09 -2.94 -26.7%   35 23 40
Netherlands 10.76 8.06 -2.70 -25.1%   36 29 44
Aruba 26.68 8.05 -18.63 -69.8%   37 2 2
China 2.88 8.05 5.17 179.5%   38 214 202
Estonia 11.10 7.86 -3.24 -29.2%   39 20 37
Malaysia 5.50 7.63 2.13 38.7%   40 201 136
Norway 9.38 7.57 -1.81 -19.3%   41 39 55
Turks and Caicos Islands 5.86 7.56 1.70 29.0%   42 195 124
Ireland 12.01 7.53 -4.48 -37.3%   43 11 19
South Africa 8.08 7.34 -0.74 -9.2%   44 58 71
Austria 8.26 7.24 -1.02 -12.3%   45 54 68
Finland 11.01 6.79 -4.22 -38.3%   46 12 17
New Zealand 8.36 6.59 -1.77 -21.2%   47 40 52
Slovakia 7.65 6.48 -1.17 -15.3%   48 52 62
Belarus 5.35 6.22 0.87 16.3%   49 169 105
Bulgaria 5.61 6.18 0.57 10.2%   50 151 94
Israel 9.73 6.13 -3.60 -37.0%   51 16 20
Cyprus 7.51 6.11 -1.40 -18.6%   52 45 56
Niue 3.50 6.09 2.59 74.0%   53 206 169
Slovenia 7.59 5.92 -1.67 -22.0%   54 42 51
Bahamas 6.23 5.85 -0.38 -6.1%   55 64 75
Guadeloupe 5.09 5.78 0.69 13.6%   56 160 98
Andorra 7.92 5.73 -2.19 -27.7%   57 33 38
Martinique 4.61 5.69 1.08 23.4%   58 178 113
Italy 8.26 5.55 -2.71 -32.8%   59 27 29
Singapore 11.94 5.47 -6.47 -54.2%   60 6 5
Greece 9.33 5.39 -3.94 -42.2%   61 15 13
Cook Islands 3.22 5.37 2.15 66.8%   62 202 164
Seychelles 3.94 5.34 1.40 35.5%   63 190 130
Turkey 3.59 5.26 1.67 46.5%   64 193 146
United Kingdom 9.67 5.15 -4.52 -46.7%   65 10 10
British Virgin Islands 6.19 5.09 -1.10 -17.8%   66 53 58
Denmark 10.17 5.05 -5.12 -50.3%   67 8 8
Antigua and Barbuda 3.90 5.03 1.13 29.0%   68 181 123
Hungary 5.72 4.99 -0.73 -12.8%   69 59 66
Saint Kitts and Nevis 3.79 4.99 1.20 31.7%   70 183 129
Lithuania 3.30 4.98 1.68 50.9%   71 194 152
Spain 7.65 4.92 -2.73 -35.7%   72 26 22
Nauru 8.10 4.76 -3.34 -41.2%   73 18 14
France 6.93 4.74 -2.19 -31.6%   74 34 31
GLOBAL AVERAGE 4.14 4.69 0.55 13%        
Montserrat 4.96 4.66 -0.30 -6.0%   75 67 76
Ukraine 5.84 4.64 -1.20 -20.5%   76 51 54
Suriname 4.58 4.56 -0.02 -0.4%   77 75 78
Lebanon 3.58 4.46 0.88 24.6%   78 171 116
Chile 3.78 4.38 0.60 15.9%   79 154 103
Croatia 4.32 4.36 0.04 0.9%   80 88 83
Iraq 2.91 4.26 1.35 46.4%   81 189 145
Reunion 4.12 4.25 0.13 3.2%   82 109 86
Serbia 5.66 4.23 -1.43 -25.3%   83 43 43
Hong Kong 5.98 4.22 -1.76 -29.4%   84 41 36
Bosnia and Herzegovina 3.28 4.15 0.87 26.5%   85 170 122
Argentina 3.84 4.12 0.28 7.3%   86 123 91
Romania 4.23 4.10 -0.13 -3.1%   87 72 77
Maldives 1.60 4.06 2.46 153.8%   88 204 199
Switzerland 6.07 4.02 -2.05 -33.8%   89 35 24
Barbados 4.35 4.00 -0.35 -8.0%   90 66 72
Algeria 2.67 3.99 1.32 49.4%   91 187 149
Portugal 6.38 3.96 -2.42 -37.9%   92 32 18
Thailand 2.75 3.89 1.14 41.5%   93 182 139
Latvia 2.96 3.88 0.92 31.1%   94 172 127
Bonaire Sint Eustatius and Saba 5.11 3.87 -1.24 -24.3%   95 48 45
Liechtenstein 6.56 3.86 -2.70 -41.2%   96 28 15
Guyana 2.30 3.84 1.54 67.0%   97 191 165
Marshall Islands 1.82 3.78 1.96 107.7%   98 199 187
Azerbaijan 3.60 3.73 0.13 3.6%   99 108 87
Uzbekistan 4.85 3.57 -1.28 -26.4%   100 47 41
Mauritius 2.21 3.44 1.23 55.7%   101 185 157
Sweden 6.19 3.42 -2.77 -44.7%   102 25 11
Kosovo 4.10 3.40 -0.70 -17.1%   103 61 59
Vietnam 0.67 3.34 2.67 398.5%   104 209 215
Malta 6.28 3.27 -3.01 -47.9%   105 22 9
North Macedonia 5.89 3.26 -2.63 -44.7%   106 30 12
Mexico 4.05 3.21 -0.84 -20.7%   107 56 53
Equatorial Guinea 0.90 3.20 2.30 255.6%   108 203 212
French Polynesia 2.28 3.12 0.84 36.8%   109 168 133
Panama 1.91 2.99 1.08 56.5%   110 179 158
Georgia 1.06 2.93 1.87 176.4%   111 198 201
Venezuela 6.22 2.83 -3.39 -54.5%   112 17 4
Laos 0.18 2.80 2.62 1455.6%   113 207 219
Montenegro 2.40 2.79 0.39 16.3%   114 141 104
Jamaica 3.95 2.72 -1.23 -31.1%   115 49 32
Saint Lucia 2.18 2.70 0.52 23.9%   116 148 114
Dominican Republic 2.22 2.60 0.38 17.1%   117 137 106
Tunisia 1.99 2.58 0.59 29.6%   118 153 125
Grenada 1.77 2.56 0.79 44.6%   119 167 142
Saint Helena 1.82 2.54 0.72 39.6%   120 164 138
Botswana 2.19 2.51 0.32 14.6%   121 127 99
Gabon 3.67 2.44 -1.23 -33.5%   123 50 25
Armenia 1.10 2.44 1.34 121.8%   122 188 197
Wallis and Futuna 1.74 2.39 0.65 37.4%   124 156 134
Ecuador 1.63 2.32 0.69 42.3%   125 159 141
Jordan 3.01 2.30 -0.71 -23.6%   126 60 47
Egypt 1.97 2.28 0.31 15.7%   128 125 101
Brazil 1.93 2.28 0.35 18.1%   127 133 107
Indonesia 1.29 2.26 0.97 75.2%   129 174 170
French Guiana 3.11 2.19 -0.92 -29.6%   131 55 35
Dominica 1.50 2.19 0.69 46.0%   130 158 144
North Korea 2.96 2.17 -0.79 -26.7%   132 57 39
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 1.29 2.05 0.76 58.9%   133 166 159
Uruguay 1.60 1.97 0.37 23.1%   134 136 112
Cuba 2.32 1.96 -0.36 -15.5%   136 65 61
Bhutan 0.65 1.96 1.31 201.5%   135 186 208
Bolivia 0.99 1.93 0.94 94.9%   137 173 183
India 0.92 1.93 1.01 109.8%   138 177 189
Morocco 1.16 1.90 0.74 63.8%   139 165 162
Macao 3.78 1.87 -1.91 -50.5%   140 36 7
Moldova 0.84 1.83 0.99 117.9%   141 176 196
Colombia 1.43 1.78 0.35 24.5%   142 135 115
Belize 1.65 1.72 0.07 4.2%   143 100 89
Peru 1.13 1.67 0.54 47.8%   144 149 147
Tonga 0.93 1.65 0.72 77.4%   145 163 173
Albania 0.95 1.62 0.67 70.5%   146 157 166
Fiji 0.98 1.59 0.61 62.2%   147 155 161
Namibia 0.88 1.59 0.71 80.7%   148 162 176
Costa Rica 1.36 1.52 0.16 11.8%   149 112 95
Kyrgyzstan 0.93 1.43 0.50 53.8%   150 147 155
Micronesia (country) 1.61 1.40 -0.21 -13.0%   151 69 65
Samoa 0.78 1.34 0.56 71.8%   152 150 168
Paraguay 0.70 1.28 0.58 82.9%   154 152 177
Congo 0.15 1.28 1.13 753.3%   153 180 218
Syria 3.10 1.27 -1.83 -59.0%   156 38 3
Philippines 0.93 1.27 0.34 36.6%   155 130 132
Guatemala 0.83 1.15 0.32 38.6%   158 128 135
Cambodia 0.16 1.15 0.99 618.8%   157 175 217
El Salvador 0.95 1.14 0.19 20.0%   160 116 109
Cape Verde 0.65 1.14 0.49 75.4%   159 146 171
Honduras 0.76 1.06 0.30 39.5%   161 124 137
Tajikistan 0.36 1.06 0.70 194.4%   162 161 205
Lesotho 0.93 1.00 0.07 7.5%   163 96 92
Pakistan 0.68 0.99 0.31 45.6%   164 126 143
Sri Lanka 0.54 0.95 0.41 75.9%   165 142 172
Eswatini 1.17 0.91 -0.26 -22.2%   166 68 50
Mauritania 0.41 0.89 0.48 117.1%   167 145 195
Mayotte 1.03 0.86 -0.17 -16.5%   168 70 60
Papua New Guinea 0.48 0.86 0.38 79.2%   169 138 175
Senegal 0.40 0.81 0.41 102.5%   170 143 186
Nicaragua 0.73 0.74 0.01 1.4%   171 83 85
Zimbabwe 1.17 0.71 -0.46 -39.3%   173 62 16
Tuvalu 0.76 0.71 -0.05 -6.6%   172 74 74
Myanmar 0.22 0.67 0.45 204.5%   174 144 209
Ghana 0.31 0.65 0.34 109.7%   175 131 188
Nigeria 0.64 0.64 0.00 0.0%   176 79 79
Angola 0.58 0.62 0.04 6.9%   177 87 90
Palestine 0.53 0.60 0.07 13.2%   179 95 97
Benin 0.21 0.60 0.39 185.7%   178 140 203
Sao Tome and Principe 0.33 0.59 0.26 78.8%   180 121 174
Kiribati 0.37 0.56 0.19 51.4%   182 117 154
East Timor 0.18 0.56 0.38 211.1%   181 139 210
Vanuatu 0.44 0.55 0.11 25.0%   184 106 120
Bangladesh 0.21 0.55 0.34 161.9%   183 132 200
Nepal 0.12 0.47 0.35 291.7%   185 134 213
Sudan 0.19 0.46 0.27 142.1%   186 122 198
Solomon Islands 0.52 0.45 -0.07 -13.5%   187 73 64
Cote d'Ivoire 0.38 0.43 0.05 13.2%   188 90 96
Zambia 0.18 0.39 0.21 116.7%   189 118 194
Yemen 0.78 0.38 -0.40 -51.3%   190 63 6
Kenya 0.34 0.37 0.03 8.8%   191 85 93
Comoros 0.19 0.36 0.17 89.5%   192 113 181
Guinea 0.18 0.36 0.18 100.0%   193 115 185
Djibouti 0.49 0.34 -0.15 -30.6%   195 71 33
Cameroon 0.22 0.34 0.12 54.5%   194 107 156
Afghanistan 0.05 0.30 0.25 500.0%   196 120 216
Togo 0.27 0.27 0.00 0.0%   197 80 80
Burkina Faso 0.09 0.26 0.17 188.9%   198 114 204
Haiti 0.20 0.25 0.05 25.0%   200 89 119
Gambia 0.19 0.25 0.06 31.6%   199 94 128
Eritrea 0.25 0.23 -0.02 -8.0%   201 78 73
Liberia 0.14 0.23 0.09 64.3%   202 102 163
Mozambique 0.07 0.22 0.15 214.3%   203 111 211
Tanzania 0.07 0.21 0.14 200.0%   204 110 207
Mali 0.09 0.19 0.10 111.1%   205 104 190
Guinea-Bissau 0.12 0.17 0.05 41.7%   206 93 140
Madagascar 0.12 0.15 0.03 25.0%   208 86 118
South Sudan 0.08 0.15 0.07 87.5%   210 97 180
Sierra Leone 0.07 0.15 0.08 114.3%   209 101 191
Ethiopia 0.05 0.15 0.10 200.0%   207 103 206
Rwanda 0.06 0.13 0.07 116.7%   211 98 192
Uganda 0.06 0.13 0.07 116.7%   212 99 193
Chad 0.06 0.11 0.05 83.3%   213 91 178
Niger 0.06 0.11 0.05 83.3%   214 92 179
Malawi 0.08 0.08 0.00 0.0%   215 81 81
Burundi 0.04 0.06 0.02 50.0%   216 84 151
Central African Republic 0.06 0.04 -0.02 -33.3%   217 76 26
Somalia 0.06 0.04 -0.02 -33.3%   218 77 27
Democratic Republic of Congo 0.02 0.03 0.01 50.0%   219 82 150

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Apologies if the above longcats for everyone. Something got f’ed in my reply and so it embedded weird.

To summarize, people who “but what about” climate change are petulant and willfully ignorant, selfish fucks relying on the logic of a spoiled five year old. Or, more concisely, modern Republicans.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Don’t worry, I wouldn’t be taking your vote or anything. Plans have changed and we’re looking for a place for summers and winters instead of windblown oaks and coastal sunsets. Still too many ties to Texas to leave full time.  But to your point, there’s at least 2 other couples on my street/wives wine group exploring it (in fairness one grew up with second ski home there) and my neighbor just bought a place last year.   This blastfurnace really makes you think the cooler places won’t get any cheaper going forward.  So we’ll see how it goes. 

• Haha 1

Really? It’s been around since the Prius hit the market.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The boat meme you think is funny is about my end goal of owning a very large, very expensive, very fuel inefficient one. The joke is so very funny though.  I know, how about one about guns? Ha. Ha. Ha.    

The predictable part is your immediate jump to personal attacks; there is no need for that. The heat sucks this year, I get it.  I’ve been working my entire life to have a place on the coast, and now that it’s time, it’s all stop and now looking more and more like Colorado.  Pretty fucking disheartening.   But, as long as we are leading the world in restrictions, who cares!!1!1. 

Who is restricting you from buying property on the coast?

I think post #2389 borked it.  It also won’t let me quote anyone. @gmr548 for the last several years we’ve been looking for a second home, which for me was always going to be Rockport.   Harvey pretty much fucked that plan up ($$$$$) for a bit, but new plans were made and everything has been coming together nicely. Wife has now decided she loves the cold more than she’s ever let on.  Then the kids fell in love with skiing.  Then blastfurnace has been intensifying.  Now a load of her friends are starting to travel north every summer and winter, and neighbor bought 30 acres of beautiful land, and are there several times a year.  So, wife’s wants have changed.  Not sure where it’ll go from here but looking a lot less like KA and more mountainy.  

I think post #2389 borked it.  It also won’t let me quote anyone. [mention=3335]gmr548[/mention] for the last several years we’ve been looking for a second home, which for me was always going to be Rockport.   Harvey pretty much fucked that plan up ($$$$$) for a bit, but new plans were made and everything has been coming together nicely. Wife has now decided she loves the cold more than she’s ever let on.  Then the kids fell in love with skiing.  Then blastfurnace has been intensifying.  Now a load of her friends are starting to travel north every summer and winter, and neighbor bought 30 acres of beautiful land, and are there several times a year.  So, wife’s wants have changed.  Not sure where it’ll go from here but looking a lot less like KA and more mountainy.  

So I ask again, what world-leading restriction is stopping you from buying coastal property?

There’s only one party imposing restrictions here and it’s not a local, state, or federal governmental entity.

Could be nothing. Could be a huge step.

• PR Newswire: news distribution, targeting and monitoring

Dow's Seadrift, Texas location selected for X-energy advanced SMR nuclear project to deliver safe, reliable, zero carbon emissions power and steam production

www.dow.com (PRNewsfoto/The Dow Chemical Company)

NEWS PROVIDED BY

The Dow Chemical Company 

11 May, 2023, 06:00 ET

• Seadrift site's power and steam needs match capabilities of X-energy's Xe-100 small modular reactor
  • Dow and X-energy to prepare and submit Construction Permit applications to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
  • Project expected to be complete by the end of the decade

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dows-seadrift-texas-location-selected-for-x-energy-advanced-smr-nuclear-project-to-deliver-safe-reliable-zero-carbon-emissions-power-and-steam-production-301821847.html

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1