The Climate thread

Laxtonto

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Most of those trees have been dead for a decade or more, but since they are in the national forest there is nobody to cut them down.  The pine beetles came through Colorado starting in the late 90s and petered out 8-10 years ago, and they killed a massive amount of trees all over the state.  If you look at the trunks of the dead trees, they have several small holes bored into them. 

There's a bunch on the mountains falling into Ruedi and along the Frying Pan river too but I don't remember those in 2020, doesn't mean they weren't there. sucks either way but would be great to know it's not from the drought/heat.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

There's a bunch on the mountains falling into Ruedi and along the Frying Pan river too but I don't remember those in 2020, doesn't mean they weren't there. sucks either way but would be great to know it's not from the drought/heat.

It hasn't been all that hot in the mountains this summer and right now is the first time in several years that none of the state is in a drought.  We had a very wet spring and early summer, although it has been warm since the 4th.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

It hasn't been all that hot in the mountains this summer and right now is the first time in several years that none of the state is in a drought.  We had a very wet spring and early summer, although it has been warm since the 4th.

I knew this year was great, but I thought the last 5-6 years were bad, seems like everywhere is bad. this month up here has been unreal tbqh. if we didn't have kids in school our house would be on the market and we would be telling Texas to DIAGF.  we've heard all the Texans talk about how great the weather is while locals complain about the heat. we've just stayed quiet. I guess both are right but the Texans stand out like a sore thumb when they talk about the weather. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Anyone have thoughts on some spots in the world that will provide a tolerable habitat when the AMOC collapses sometime in the next 5-70 years?

I was thinking Pacific Northwest? As long as you're far enough away from the forest fires, I guess.

On 7/25/2023 at 3:01 PM, Chewbacca said:

Not all the time, but a significant number, yes.  Although I'll say the Texans in Grand County have been mellow this summer.

we've had locals flat out tell us they are glad we are here. the fly shop guys are cool as shit and happy to see us. but we are applying for colorado citizenship so we might not come off as brash loudmouth Texans either.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, troph said:

we've had locals flat out tell us they are glad we are here. the fly shop guys are cool as shit and happy to see us. but we are applying for colorado citizenship so we might not come off as brash loudmouth Texans either.

Yeah, self awareness is the thing the loudmouthed asshats lack.  You're good.

Where are you looking for land?

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Anyone have thoughts on some spots in the world that will provide a tolerable habitat when the AMOC collapses sometime in the next 5-70 years?

I was thinking Pacific Northwest? As long as you're far enough away from the forest fires, I guess.

PNW is highly dependent on ocean circulation for its mild temps.

in the end, I think elevation near water is the only correct answer.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, self awareness is the thing the loudmouthed asshats lack.  You're good.

Where are you looking for land?

as @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt has learned me, maybe a small town on the western slope. next question... 😉

my youngest still has 5 years of school left and a divorce decree keeps us locked in without mutual agreement until then.  but we will be here every summer until then. right now the plan would be here and Jan-Mar in Mexico, Costa Rica/Belize, or the Caribbean on a sailboat if we can swing it. We love Telluride area (and talked all about it the last few years) but it's lacking infrastructure outside of actual Telluride the town (which we cannot afford) and so that's not really feasible for us. happy to chat off line about where in CO though. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Right. But doesn't the "Pacific" part make a difference when discussing the collapse of the Atlantic current? Serious question. Yes, I know its all just one large body of water.

Just now, Foosters said:

Right. But doesn't the "Pacific" part make a difference when discussing the collapse of the Atlantic current? Serious question. Yes, I know its all just one large body of water.

maybe but I'd assume if one collapses they all will. there are more people impacted by the Atlantic current (US Eastern Seaboard + UK + Northern Europe) but I bet PNW will not be unaffected, heck they have had their own heat domes the last few years.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, troph said:

in the end, I think elevation near water is the only correct answer.

as @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt has learned me, maybe a small town on the western slope. next question... 😉

If proximity to Denver was not important to me, there are a lot of great spots out that way.  In no particular order:

• Durango
  • Ouray
  • Telluride
  • Basalt (but fuck Carbondale - too many weirdos out there)
  • Steamboat
  • Crested Butte
  • Gunnison

But I'm good in Fraser.  Just wish we had some bigger water near us.  I guess being 10 miles from the Continental Divide will do that.  I'll just have to road trip in the van.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

having driven Texas my whole life, Denver is always accessible.  We saw a show in red rocks last week and drove in from well past Vail. Durango worries me, it can get pretty hot. 100 degrees is coming for them.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, troph said:

having driven Texas my whole life, Denver is always accessible.  We saw a show in red rocks last week and drove in from well past Vail. Durango worries me, it can get pretty hot. 100 degrees is coming for them.

You need to follow I-70 Things on IG if you want to know why not having to go to Denver regularly is a good thing. 

Just now, Chewbacca said:

You need to follow I-70 Things on IG if you want to know why not having to go to Denver regularly is a good thing. 

I can imagine. I certainly would avoid it.  I bet it can be as bad as I-35 from San Antonio to Dallas which is often an unmitigated parking lot disaster. friday from Denver out I gotta imagine. then winter weather, fires, and all around only one major highway east/west I bet it's brutal.  we drove mid day on a thursday, it wasn't bad and then friday morning back, it was a bit worse but we were starting in Georgetown so we were already well outside of Denver when we started.

21 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

If proximity to Denver was not important to me, there are a lot of great spots out that way.  In no particular order:

• Durango
  • Ouray
  • Telluride
  • Basalt (but fuck Carbondale - too many weirdos out there)
  • Steamboat
  • Crested Butte
  • Gunnison

But I'm good in Fraser.  Just wish we had some bigger water near us.  I guess being 10 miles from the Continental Divide will do that.  I'll just have to road trip in the van.

Going to Lake City for 10 days on 8/8.  I can't wait, I love that area. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Going to Lake City for 10 days on 8/8.  I can't wait, I love that area. 

I love the area.  I hate all the side by sides that tear around there.  And the entire place shuts down in late October, so not somewhere I'd want to live.  Cool to visit, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, troph said:

fraser looks interesting, close to winter park for skiing and several rivers/creeks for trout, no?

Yep.  Mary Jane parking lot is 15 min from my front door and the Fraser river is 5 min away, but it's small.  Caught a lot of 6-12 inchers out of there last weekend.  And the Colorado is only ~30 min away but it's still about the size of the Pan or the Fork up there.

I mean at this point, whatever.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/07/27/supreme-court-mountain-valley-pipeline/

Supreme Court clears the way for pipeline construction favored by Manchin

The Supreme Court on Thursday cleared the way to complete a controversial Mid-Atlantic natural gas pipeline, agreeing that Congress greenlighted the project as part of a behind-the-scenes deal to raise the nation’s debt ceiling.

The justices lifted a lower court’s halt on the remaining construction of the Mountain Valley Pipeline, which will stretch 300 miles through rugged mountains in West Virginia and Virginia. Environmentalists claim the pipeline threatens lands, water resources and endangered species along the way, and have found some success blocking final approval at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit in Richmond.

The Supreme Court did not detail its reasoning or completely dismiss the challenges. But it indicated “that determination is without prejudice to further consideration in light of subsequent developments,” meaning it might do so in the future.

Conservative groups have crafted a plan for demolishing the federal government’s efforts to counter climate change — and it wouldn’t stop with President Joe Biden’s policies.

The 920-page blueprint, whose hundreds of authors include former Trump administration officials, would go far beyond past GOP efforts to slash environmental agencies’ budgets or oust “deep state” employees.

Called Project 2025, it would block the expansion of the electrical grid for wind and solar energy; slash funding for the Environmental Protection Agency’s environmental justice office; shutter the Energy Department’s renewable energy offices; prevent states from adopting California’s car pollution standards; and delegate more regulation of polluting industries to Republican state officials.

If enacted, it could decimate the federal government’s climate work, stymie the transition to clean energy and shift agencies toward nurturing the fossil fuel industry rather than regulating it. It’s designed to be implemented on the first day of a Republican presidency.

“Project 2025 is not a white paper. We are not tinkering at the edges. We are writing a battle plan, and we are marshaling our forces,” said Paul Dans, director of Project 2025 at the Heritage Foundation, which compiled the plan as a road map for the first 180 days of the next GOP administration. “Never before has the whole conservative movement banded together to systematically prepare to take power day one and deconstruct the administrative state.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/28/far-right-climate-plans-00107498

• Rage+1 2

Winter down south all kinds of fucked. Climate books will need to be rewritten.

It’s the middle of winter in South America, but that hasn’t kept the heat away in Chile, Argentina and surrounding locations. Multiple spells of oddly hot weather have roasted the region in recent weeks. The latest spell early this week has become the most intense, pushing the mercury above 100 degrees Fahrenheit, while setting an August record for Chile.

In Buenos Aires, where the average high on Aug. 1 is 58 degrees (14 Celsius), it surpassed 86 (30 Celsius) on Tuesday.

“South America is living one of the extreme events the world has ever seen,” weather historian Maximiliano Herrera tweeted, adding, “This event is rewriting all climatic books.”

The most extreme conditions have occurred in the southern half of the continent, and particularly in the Andes Mountains region.

Temperatures Tuesday rose past 95 degrees (35 Celsius) in numerous locations, including at elevations of about 3,500 to 4,500 feet in the Andes foothills. In some cases, the temperature crested above 100 degrees (38 Celsius) after leaping from morning lows in the 30s and 40s (single-digits Celsius).

Some places have even reached all-time maximums — surpassing summer temperatures, even though it is winter. This has occurred in locations with 20 to 30 years of climate data available, showing how exceptional this heat is compared with recent decades.

What’s going on?

High pressure is controlling the weather of southern South America. (Climate Reanalyzer) 

Like many other portions of the globe, record heat has visited parts of South America repeatedly in recent weeks. The big difference from its northern neighbors is that it’s winter there.

Parts of Brazil began to bake in mid-July, establishing record highs for the month as temperatures rose to at least 100 degrees (upper 30s Celsius). There was another spell of unusual heat during the third week of the month, which brought a slew of July records to Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay.

A powerful zone of high pressure, or heat dome, centered over Paraguay is dominating the weather. It extends east to west across the south-central part of the continent.

August in the Southern Hemisphere is equivalent to February in the Northern Hemisphere. It shouldn’t be hot, let alone scorching.

Weather historian Thierry Goose tweeted that this was an “extraordinary winter heatwave” for Chile as the temperature climbed to 101.7 degrees (38.7 Celsius), a national record for August.

Vicuña and Chiguinto in the central part of Chile, about 230 and 320 miles north of Santiago, respectively, both reached that mark Tuesday.

Temperatures in the afternoon reached 4o to 45 degrees above normal (22 to 25 Celsius) for the date, and in some cases a bit more. Overnight lows have been exceptionally warm as well, ranging from above freezing in the mountains to as high as the 70s (mid-20s Celsius) in lower elevations.

Many locations in Argentina also saw highs of 86 to 95 degrees (30 to 35 Celsius). Buenos Aires set a daily record for the start of August, with its high of 86.2 degrees (30.1 Celsius), which was more than 9 degrees (5 Celsius) above the previous daily record and nearly twice as warm as it normally is on the date. The thermometer rose to 98 degrees (37.2 Celsius) in the coastal city of Rivadavia.

The current heat spell will peak over the next few days. It began in late July, bringing record temperatures as high as 98.6 degrees (37 Celsius) to Paraguay earlier in the week.

Like other global hot spots that refuse to cool off for long, South America’s wintertime warmth is set to persist.

Large zones of similarly extreme temperature are expected to last at least into the weekend as high pressure continues. Highs between 95 and 104 degrees (35 and 40 Celsius) are a good bet in the hottest spots for days to come.

While cooler weather is increasingly possible with time, especially in southeastern portions of South America, temperatures are forecast to remain 18 to 36 degrees (10 to 20 Celsius) above average in the Andes region for as long as reliable forecasts extend.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/08/02/southamerica-record-winter-heat-argentina-chile/?utm_source=reddit.com

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Because these people are morons. Just complete voids. I don’t understand how they exist. 

Stew Peters is a real person. Gary Peterson is a parody account.

Stew Peters is a piece of work and is currently being sued by the mayor of Lake Havasu:

https://www.mohavedailynews.com/havasu-mayor-sheehy-sues-podcaster-stew-peters-over-drag-show-comments/article_012b80e1-2b2f-5eae-8db8-d4fe87715611.html

2 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Stew Peters is a real person. Gary Peterson is a parody account.

Stew Peters is a piece of work and is currently being sued by the mayor of Lake Havasu:

https://www.mohavedailynews.com/havasu-mayor-sheehy-sues-podcaster-stew-peters-over-drag-show-comments/article_012b80e1-2b2f-5eae-8db8-d4fe87715611.html

Yes, I should have specified. 

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Soooooo Yellowstone supervolcano is erupting?  Cool, cool.

If it would cool Austin down to 60F for a high for a few days like in Yellowstone, mark me down for Team Supervolcano.

Edited by Gap03
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

You know that 1.5 degrees C isnt just an increase in 1.5 degrees Celsius….. its an increase in the average, WORLDWIDE. Meaning some places could easily be 20 degrees F hotter and some could just be 2-3 degrees F hotter

Yeah, it's gonna be great!