USMNT 2022

Napoleon

Just now, goatsaag said:

If we tie Panama, they can't pass us. If we tie Costa Rica, they realistically can't pass us on goal differential. That should mean we are guaranteed to at least be fourth and make the playoff with one more point.

ish?

It's only that game were 1 point would do it. If we lose there and get 1 to CR, that might not do it. And I wouldn't trust in a point down in CR.

6 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I will take it

Yup

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Could have been 3. Could have also easily conceded. Good result.

Yup

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

We missed 2 great chances, and I think we were the better team. Wish we won, but that is a HUGE point.

And yup. Three would’ve been nice, but I’ll take the point. 

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

I thought we would make it before the games, but with this result, I feel a lot better about our chances now. This was about as good as we could have hoped given the day's games (ok, maybe CR dropping points too would have been icing).

We're damn close now, We got this!

Panama losing was massive. 

8 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yep.  But a point at Azteca is a good day, even if it shoulda been 3.

Bonus points for shit-sucking Mexican fans having a bad time.

Fwiw, they do have a rabid fanbase but a lot of soccer fans in Mexico don’t care much for El Tri anymore. Way too underachieving lately.  A few more years on this course and the US will regularly win down there. 

Just now, Helobious said:

Fwiw, they do have a rabid fanbase but a lot of soccer fans in Mexico don’t care much for El Tri anymore. Way too underachieving lately.  A few more years on this course and the US will regularly win down there. 

The US isn't playing a meaningful game down there, maybe ever again.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Firemans4Horn said:

Serious question,

how the hell is Jordan Morris playing minutes in do or die qualification games?

He wound up recovering well from his laundry list of injuries. I didn't think he'd ever play for us again but he's actually been pretty damn good in the spot minutes he's gotten in WCQ. Thought he was great on D tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

My complaint was him for CP10. Him in wasn't terrible. I just questioned taking CP out for him. That said we’ve gotta be ready for Sunday. 

I think we were basically playing for a draw at that point. CP isn't really keeping a ball out of our net (directly at least) and another 15 mins can be a lot at that altitude. 

I actually thought Greg made the exact right subs tonight. Putting in the green RB for his debut was dicey but it worked out okay. I guess you could argue Ferreira over Pefok but Greg can't know Pefok is going to bottle that shit the way he did. 

Edited by ztejas

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Incredible ball by Acosta, great volley touch by Reyna, and turboFok’d finish.

3 hours ago, eljinca said:

I don’t even know how it’s possible for pefok to miss by that much on the ball from Reyna.

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

In slight fairness to Pefok, that ball was about 6" behind him, but I still think he's gotta get that on frame.

I think that when Alston realized that the ball was going to be a little behind where it needed to be, he thought "I'll pass it back to G...oh... he's offside..." and then he fucking bungled the ball to Shitsville.

• Haha 1

Really good result.  Greggg got lineup and tactics pretty much spot on although this Mexican side doesn't impress me at all.  

Lots of talk about the Pefok miss which was a tougher chance than it looks at first glance but the more glaring miss was Pulisic's.  He has to put that away.  I kept thinking that Landon or Dempsey would have finished that.  He is a key player for us but no longer THE guy.  

Beat Panama (horrible result for them) and we are in.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone else feel like we got extremely favorable (overly fair?) reffing last night? There were 3 calls in the box that just based on history alone I thought were for sure going to be PK against us - especially the Morris one late that ended up being a yellow on Vega.

• Hook 'Em 5

31 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Anyone else feel like we got extremely favorable (overly fair?) reffing last night? There were 3 calls in the box that just based on history alone I thought were for sure going to be PK against us - especially the Morris one late that ended up being a yellow on Vega.

Mexico isn't Mexico anymore. They don't have the aura of invincibility anymore. And for as shitty as we say CONCACAF is, the refs are starting to understand what dives look like. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Mittens said:

i thought the referee was outstanding.  giving a yellow to Mexico for simulation at Azteca was ballsy.  but it was the right call.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

They could host a gold cup. If they quit murdering each other at Liga ShitX games. 

concacaf will never give up the high paying gig hosting in the us

just off la tri fans alone they make 10x hosting in the giant us stadiums at 3-4x the ticket price over running it in mexico or anywhere else

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Saint Austin said:

How come? I know we won't have qualifiers in '26, but wouldn't we in '30?

the expansion of the world cup from 32 to 48 means qualifying will never be the same

concacaf will go from 4.5 to 7 or 8 spots and the there is no way to run a "dodecahedron-gon" 20-team international qualifying tournament

maybe the concacaf nations league will keep the fixture important, but the ultimate prize of a qualifying full international win at azteca is likely gone forever

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the expansion of the world cup from 32 to 48 means qualifying will never be the same

concacaf will go from 4.5 to 7 or 8 spots and the there is no way to run a "dodecahedron-gon" 20-team international qualifying tournament

maybe the concacaf nations league will keep the fixture important, but the ultimate prize of a qualifying full international win at azteca is likely gone forever

This. The expansion of the tournament will mean that teams like the US, Mexico, Italy, etc will never face the prospects of missing the World Cup. This is why people are so up in arms about the change being crap, because the tournament is proving to be at just the right level of teams. We see big names occasionally miss out.

It doesn't happen often, but it catches your attention, some notable teams years:

1994 - France, England

2002 - Netherlands

2018 - Netherlands, US, Italy, Chile

With an expanded field, qualification is going to be boring, and honestly the tournament will be very diluted.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

BTW this foolish comment need to be called out for sheer stupidity. Like honestly, this might be one of the dumbest things said in the last month on the soccer board, maybe longer.

Holy shit I don't know how I missed that lol. Very wrong, not being a full crowd definitely helped also unless the broadcast was just not playing much audio from the crowd. It sounded way different this time.