Cowboys vs 49ers: Wild Card Round

Vic Mackey

7 minutes ago, Teebox said:

The last thing I want to do is stick up for the Jones clan, but how exactly is this season Jerry's fault?  The answer has traditionally been "Jerry sucks as a GM", which I agree with.  But he's not really the GM, and hasn't really been since the Johnny Manziel card was taken out of his hand.  Will McClay is behind all the personnel decisions now, and some combination of Jerry/Stephen rubber stamps them. 

I guess you can blame him for the McCarthy hire, but that's the job of the owner, not the GM.  I guess I'm just not seeing how to blame Jerry for this, it seems to me they assembled the personnel you need for a deep playoff run, and the playcalling and lack of execution was to blame for the wildcard loss. 

Sure thing. 

In every organization, whether it’s a football team, a tech company or the mob, the highest guy (or gal) in charge sets the tone for that organization and shit rolls downhill. 

In good football organizations, the owner understands that there are people out there that are more knowledgeable than them regarding coaching and personnel decisions so he uses his or her fat wallet to hire the best at making those decisions. 

Even though Jerry’s GM role has been diminished over time, it would be naive to think he’s still not involved 

More importantly, he hires guys like Garrett and McCarthy and Switzer and on and on who are not great coaches and then he proceeds to undermine them because the players know that ultimately Jerry is in charge of their fate and not the head coach so they can proceed to blow the coach off and not always listen if they don’t want to.

There has been one constant for the Cowboys over 25 years. And it’s the only NFL owner who ever had his own radio show.

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Romo acts/gets treated like he's some legend but he only made the playoffs 4 times in his entire career and only won 2 postseason games. Very aggy baseball-esque

No offense, but you are giving aggy baseball WAY MORE FUCKING CREDIT than they deserve. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Yeah.  Boy wonder OC really helped find ways to get them the ball.  As if they couldn't line Lamb up in the backfield and run the same plays SF does for Deebo.  They've done it before during this season.  Why not do it again?  Going to a Mavs game means fuck all about their discipline.  That's chicken shit conspiracy theory level delusion.  

I’ve always liked your posts. 2 issues: a) Randy Gregory had a decent rebound season. He is an incredibly dumb player. b) while I agree about the receivers’ general discipline, it was incredibly tone deal and idiotic to go to a Mavs game right before the playoffs. And Lamb cannot line up as a back. Jet sweeps and reverses, yes. He and Deebo are totally different players. 

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Shout out to the sun play before half that woulda been a solid chance for 3 pts had it been easily completed. Kinda changes the calculus on those final drives. 

i know there are curtains that can be used i've seen them used for el tri soccer games

why the fuck do the boys not draw the fucking curtains?

i just watched stephenA first take yelling and screaming at irvin who went nuts in return

the hot chick host put her fingers in her ears

StephenA stands for StephanAss but he's right about his main point:

McCarthy has to go, because when something goes wrong for the cows, no one knows who is responsible

stephenA: what does mccarthy do?  if you don't know, then by definition he's not a leader

point sold

but irvin missed the layup...... EVERY COACH OTHER THAN PARCELLS has been a jones puppet

it's why we suck

goddamn joneses for sucking me in this year with hope

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/16/2022 at 1:17 AM, Hook1997 said:

My team is the Bears and every game we have in Jerry World sounds like a home game for us even though we suck and ever home game for us is sold out until the end with people there until the of the game loud as hell just for us, with just Chicago fans, proof three weeks ago.  Game matters none, stadium still full, last 3 min down by 14, still loud as hell for the home team…

Hypothetical situation... What if all of the Bears fans were, like, 14 inches tall?  Who would be louder, regular sized Cowboys fans or the Bears mini-fans?  One advantage of the mini-fans would be that you could really pack 'em in, tiny shoulder to tiny shoulder.  One obvious disadvantage would be that they might be unable to see over the seat in front of them, thus making coordinated cheering less effective.

Thoughts?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Hypothetical situation... What if all of the Bears fans were, like, 14 inches tall?  Who would be louder, regular sized Cowboys fans or the Bears mini-fans?  One advantage of the mini-fans would be that you could really pack 'em in, tiny shoulder to tiny shoulder.  One obvious disadvantage would be that they might be unable to see over the seat in front of them, thus making coordinated cheering less effective.

Thoughts?

Yeah, don't eat the brown acid. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Jerry was correct about the final play. He said “this team should not have been in a position to have to run a play like that”.

The most penalized team in football. But by a wide margin the most penalty yards in football. 1595 total penalty yards (penalty yards + lost play yardage). Four teams didn’t have that in total rushing yards. Inexcusable yet McCarthy has no problem with it.

In 4th grade we had to run laps or windsprints for penalties. The whole team, for your mistake. Makes players police each other. These numbskull coaches think it’s playing on the edge.

Jerry was correct about the final play. He said “this team should not have been in a position to have to run a play like that”.

The most penalized team in football. But by a wide margin the most penalty yards in football. 1595 total penalty yards (penalty yards + lost play yardage). Four teams didn’t have that in total rushing yards. Inexcusable yet McCarthy has no problem with it.

In 4th grade we had to run laps or windsprints for penalties. The whole team, for your mistake. Makes players police each other. These numbskull coaches think it’s playing on the edge.

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

Thoughts?

What about Ditka?  Is he a mini-Ditka?  Or regular sized?

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i know there are curtains that can be used i've seen them used for el tri soccer games

why the fuck do the boys not draw the fucking curtains?

Why the fuck did HKS design a stadium with that much glass (non-diffuse, mind you) where the fucking endzones aren't oriented NORTH and SOUTH?!

Shithouse

2 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Why the fuck did HKS design a stadium with that much glass (non-diffuse, mind you) where the fucking endzones aren't oriented NORTH and SOUTH?!

Shithouse

You’re blaming HKS?

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

McCarthy has to go, because when something goes wrong for the cows, no one knows who is responsible

Before he died in early 2000, Tom Landy had a Voodoo priestess put a supernatural curse on the Cowboys organization.  As long as Jerry Jones or any of his ilk own the team, the Cowboys will falter each season under unusual and bizarre circumstances.  Prove me wrong.

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i just watched stephenA first take yelling and screaming at irvin who went nuts in return

the hot chick host put her fingers in her ears

StephenA stands for StephanAss but he's right about his main point:

stephenA: what does mccarthy do?  if you don't know, then by definition he's not a leader

point sold

but irvin missed the layup...... EVERY COACH OTHER THAN PARCELLS has been a jones puppet

it's why we suck

goddamn joneses for sucking me in this year with hope

Stephen A is a functional retard, like IQ of approx 50.  He knows zero about sports.

It wasn't the firing of Landry, but how it was handled.   A lot of fans had grown accustomed to the class of Landry, and Jones was the polar opposite.  
Those first SBs happened because he listened to JJ and didn't interfere.  And the Walker trade was big.  If there was ever a cake to be baked it was the team Switzer stepped into.
Like Pescado and Kimball said, it's always been about Jones' ego.  

Whoa. Wait right here. Aggie Bum Bright was to fire Landry prior to announcing the sale. He announced the sale and said Jerry was going to fire him. Jerry got on his jet to Austin immediately. And the media like Randy Galloway and Blackie Sherrod took the bait from Bum and painted Jerry as a hillbilly banjo boy. Landry should have been fired after the catch and Tex didn’t have the balls and the team slid into shiftiness and near bankruptcy.

He’s not the GM. Stephen and Will McClay have done great at building a roster thru the draft and careful free agency. This is a talent laden roster that needs some repair in the O line and other places but this team’s failures are clearly on the coaching staff. Jerry needs to fire McCarthy and install Quinn. Run Moore off and all the offensive coaches. Joe Philbin is a horrible line coach.

1 minute ago, Texzilla58 said:

Whoa. Wait right here. Aggie Bum Bright was to fire Landry prior to announcing the sale. He announced the sale and said Jerry was going to fire him. Jerry got on his jet to Austin immediately. And the media like Randy Galloway and Blackie Sherrod took the bait from Bum and painted Jerry as a hillbilly banjo boy. Landry should have been fired after the catch and Tex didn’t have the balls and the team slid into shiftiness and near bankruptcy.

He’s not the GM. Stephen and Will McClay have done great at building a roster thru the draft and careful free agency. This is a talent laden roster that needs some repair in the O line and other places but this team’s failures are clearly on the coaching staff. Jerry needs to fire McCarthy and install Quinn. Run Moore off and all the offensive coaches. Joe Philbin is a horrible line coach.

Philbin is awful.

16 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

You are right about the Bright part, thinking back.   But I still contend Jones treated Landry shabbily, maybe by design, maybe not.   It wasn't all Bright.  It could have been handled significantly better.   

is it correct to say he is going to get at least $12,000,000 in 2022?

You’re kidding right? I expect a restructured contract to get his number down to that. It’s not what he’s paid going forward. He’s already gotten most of the money. They will kick the can down the road.

2022 cap hit: $18 mill

2022 dead money hit if cut: $30 mill

He is used up with almost 2000 touches. Without a restructure you can cut him in 23 and have only a $11m dead money hit.

Terrible contract. My opinion is no RB should ever get a second contract. Wouldn’t give Jim Brown or Earl Campbell a second contract. The mileage accumulates too fast these days. Just reload in the draft and cheap FAs.

15 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

You’re kidding right? I expect a restructured contract to get his number down to that. It’s not what he’s paid going forward. He’s already gotten most of the money. They will kick the can down the road.

He is used up with almost 2000 touches. Without a restructure you can cut him in 23 and have only a $11m dead money hit.

Terrible contract. My opinion is no RB should ever get a second contract. Wouldn’t give Jim Brown or Earl Campbell a second contract. The mileage accumulates too fast these days. Just reload in the draft and cheap FAs.

So many RBs are on top of the world one day and then wither away quickly. Laveon Bell, Zeke, Gurley. Some fall off quicker than others. Gurley was the first one to get that big RB contract by the Rams. Zeke was not long after. Rams cut bait as soon as they could when they saw it wasn't worth it. they also cut bait with Goff when they realized he was not the answer. And this was after he went to a Super Bowl and a few years later a division round appearance. That is called being proactive. Cowboys are way too reactive and wait too long on their roster moves.

Dallas has no real future with this core. Romo, Dez, Witten, DWare had promise and fizzled out. Dak, Zeke and this OL had promise but now 6 years later, nothing at all to show except one single wild card win. 1-2 in home playoff games. But they are married to this core for a few more years at least.

• Like 1

I think Belichick has had 800 different RB's.

the Zeke thing was all about Garrett convincing Jerry to relive the glory days by building the OL and the running game.  kinda worked until the center retired, Smith started getting hurt and they never got a good RT.  and Zeke was never going to be Emmitt.  not enough focus on football.

mainly though, Biadasz and Williams getting trucked up the middle on the reg is the main issue.  if the QB can't step up, the tackles can't push the ends around the QB.

we need more pollard types that lean more scatback than bruiser.

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

You are right about the Bright part, thinking back.   But I still contend Jones treated Landry shabbily, maybe by design, maybe not.   It wasn't all Bright.  It could have been handled significantly better.   

I was a Landry fan, and the Cowboys became America's Team because of Schramm's marketing decisions, but the game had passed them by, and by all accounts, they treated Bum Bright like crap. The Cowboys were losing millions of dollars, and Landry and Schramm just wanted Bright to shut up and pay the bills. There was a good chance the Cowboys could have moved to another city if someone besides Jones had bought them. There was serious discussion about moving the Cowboys to Los Angeles. 

Landry and Schramm thought they were untouchable. They weren't. 

BTW, early joke after Jerry bought the Cowboys: 

Guy walks into Jerry's office. Jerry's sitting on his desk, looking down and he's got one bare foot. 

Guy says, "Hey Jerry, did you lose a shoe?"

Jerry says, "No, I found one!"

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

I think Belichick has had 800 different RB's.

the Zeke thing was all about Garrett convincing Jerry to relive the glory days by building the OL and the running game.  kinda worked until the center retired, Smith started getting hurt and they never got a good RT.  and Zeke was never going to be Emmitt.  not enough focus on football.

mainly though, Biadasz and Williams getting trucked up the middle on the reg is the main issue.  if the QB can't step up, the tackles can't push the ends around the QB.

we need more pollard types that lean more scatback than bruiser.

Yeah, and it's easy to forget how insanely out of the ordinary Emmitt Smith was. He played fifteen years, when the average NFL running back plays about 2 1/2. With Sanders, Smith and Walter Payton, it wasn't just that they had great seasons, they had long careers. In his prime, I still think Earl Campbell was the best running back ever, but after the injuries...he was a shadow of himself. Also, you can't take five years to build a line. 

6 hours ago, Teebox said:

The last thing I want to do is stick up for the Jones clan, but how exactly is this season Jerry's fault?  The answer has traditionally been "Jerry sucks as a GM", which I agree with.  But he's not really the GM, and hasn't really been since the Johnny Manziel card was taken out of his hand.  Will McClay is behind all the personnel decisions now, and some combination of Jerry/Stephen rubber stamps them. 

I guess you can blame him for the McCarthy hire, but that's the job of the owner, not the GM.  I guess I'm just not seeing how to blame Jerry for this, it seems to me they assembled the personnel you need for a deep playoff run, and the playcalling and lack of execution was to blame for the wildcard loss. 

Jerry has been hiring coaches that are incompetent yes men so that he can take the credit and is never again giggled at for thinking he knows football. The only time he hired a real coach after Jimmy was when he needed a stadium built. You must be to young to remember the type of franchise the Cowboys were before Jerry got his panties in a wad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I just looked it up and you are indeed correct about 2022. I was going on memory for the salary and didn't see the bonus that pushed it up to $18,000,000.

That's insane.

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

I was a Landry fan, and the Cowboys became America's Team because of Schramm's marketing decisions, but the game had passed them by, and by all accounts, they treated Bum Bright like crap. The Cowboys were losing millions of dollars, and Landry and Schramm just wanted Bright to shut up and pay the bills. There was a good chance the Cowboys could have moved to another city if someone besides Jones had bought them. There was serious discussion about moving the Cowboys to Los Angeles.

i've been surfing looking for contemporary accounts of any of this, and in particular a potential move to LA

granted i was on the 40 at the time but i was home enough that i think i would have remembered hearing about this, and i don't

any contemporary sources on the intertrons for the above?

35 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Fuck all this shit. Fucking ridiculous joke of a “sports” organization. Fuck this. Fuck it. Fuck all of this. I hate watching other teams compete and play smart football. Fuck this fucking bull fucking shit. 

This was well put and I'm glad you squeezed it out of you. 

I actually thought it was relatively clever and no one would have an issue if they got set.

The risk/reward was never there. He could have tried the tackle over without shifting to it, but I’m not sure either causes a desire reaction from the defense.

But you are right no one is discussing it if they do it right and convert.