Mortals attempting to close the Gates of Hell

Immaculate Vibes

first heard about this back in the 2000s and couldn't believe it was a real thing.  i imagine putting it out would involve lots of sand suffocating the fire but how do you cover the entire area without melting whatever aircraft is spreading the material?  also what happens to the gas that's there, it'll release into the atmosphere unless we find a way to trap it.

so.....where was all this gas before the land above it caved in? why can't some enterprising person/company come up with a solution to monetize that free source of energy?

i would think it's a bigger challenge to control mother nature than to harness it.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Had no idea this existed before. What kind of shithole has this as their top tourist attraction? Turkmenistan evidently. 

It's like the Centralia mine in Pennsylvania that has been burning for almost 60 years and expected to burn 100+yrs.... attemps have all failed over the years to extinguish it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia_mine_fire

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 11:43 PM, PRONG HORN said:

I bet the guy is a nutty paranoid Christian that takes it all a little too literally.  

Gurbanguly Malikguliyevich Berdimuhamedov is absolutely the craziest leader of the craziest gotdamn country in the world, and I include North Korea in that statement. But he isn’t a Christian, he’s (kind of) a Muslim. Anyway, this is him as he wants the world to see him. 

image.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1