The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Amazon Prime

Michael Knight

So dude's obviously a wizard, not that I'd seen anyone really speculate otherwise.

And it looks like he's progressing through the learning curve, adapting to his mortal body, the physical world, interaction between the two, which is kind of cool.

Gandalf needed a few moments to collect himself, remember his name, etc, so I can see that taking a bit longer if this is the dude's first time.  No idea which one he's gonna be, but it seems straight forward he's been sent for the same reason Saruman and Gandalf were.  

The Harfoot scene was cool.  Loved the song, as well.  

I've seen a lot of purists losing their shit over the elves' need for the mithril, since that's never been mentioned, but I don't see it fitting uncomfortably into the lore.  Given that the elves made great use of it later on, it's not a bad origin story for that.  And there's no reason any of them should've remarked later on, "Oh by the way, Frodo, we'd have faded away if we hadn't gotten our hands on this stuff.  Enjoy your mailshirt."

Has anybody ever asked why his mithril shirt stopped the troll's spear but not Shelob's stinger?

Good episode.  A lot of exposition, but feels like it's building nicely. 

Spoiler

Adar with the Joker move in having tryouts to be on his team.

Thought Nori was in T-1000 liquid nitrogen trouble there for a sec.

I think the Halbrand as Sauron theory is kinda put to rest.  Could still be Witch King, though the Angmar part kinda fucks that up.

I really like Durin.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Hide contents

I think the Halbrand as Sauron theory is kinda put to rest.  Could still be Witch King, though the Angmar part kinda fucks that up.

I really like Durin.

Agreed. I like the pace of this one better than HOTD. It's a beautiful show

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Hide contents

I really like Durin.

Spoiler

I'm like 98% sure he's the king of the dead. It lines up too nicely. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Augustus said:

I've seen a lot of purists losing their shit over the elves' need for the mithril, since that's never been mentioned, but I don't see it fitting uncomfortably into the lore.  Given that the elves made great use of it later on, it's not a bad origin story for that.  And there's no reason any of them should've remarked later on, "Oh by the way, Frodo, we'd have faded away if we hadn't gotten our hands on this stuff.  Enjoy your mailshirt."

Has anybody ever asked why his mithril shirt stopped the troll's spear but not Shelob's stinger?

It fits uncomfortably into the lore. We know what happened to the three silmarils, and none of them ended up in a tree in the Misty Mountains. And there's no reason for the elves to be "fading" either. 

3 minutes ago, Viking said:

I thought the fading was another line of BS. They want the mithril for what they're making in the big tower forge.

That's an interesting angle  I don't know if it's BS - I feel like they may actually believe it to a degree. My read was that it's some hubris shining through thinking that the mithril is what will save them. I'll have to rewatch and see how I interpret it the 2nd time. 

Although isn't the Elves light fading one of the central storylines in LOTR? So it's odd that it's seeming so dire already when we know they keep kicking for a lot longer. Maybe the rings have something to do with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

The Harfoot scene was cool.  Loved the song, as well.  

Same, loved the song, and was caught off guard when I realized what the lyrics were.

Felt extremely organic.  A lot of this series, things have just really felt organic and not forced.  Just makes sense how some things are playing out.  I don’t know if that’s pacing/editing or what.

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rewatching and just got to the mithril discussion. 

The mithril seeping down the tree is just a legend. Elrond initially dismisses it as being apocryphal before Gil Galad spins it as being real and what they need to save the elves. I think @Viking is right - it's just some BS they're telling Elrond to manipulate Durin by proxy into getting the mithril. Gil Galad seems too wise to really put stock into that methinks. 

Maybe the haters that just find shit to bitch about should watch the show more closely and use their brains. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is no one else seeing that Elendil is Isildur's dad's name and also the name of the Elve's most sacred star and the vial that Galadriel gives to Frodo?  Or is that something that is well known?

Had to look it up but the vial is Earendil - I knew it was something close but not the same. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

So Elrond is all wound up about not breaking his oath except that he already broke it apparently by showing the mithril with the forge guy who tested it. 

That was after Gil-Galad told him they already knew about it.  Or Celebrimor?  Whoever.  It was after.  Also, as was mentioned upthread, by giving the "I can neither confirm nor deny" answer, Elrond had already admitted it anyway.

So as we know, almost nothing in this show is a throw-away line.   it has some sort of meaning, even if its only for the bookfags. 

Hearing the story from the Elf King telling Elrond that his father basically self-sacrificed and rode out to try and stop the coming war, we know he never returned, supposedly going to the same place that they were sending Galadriel  but that story kind of implies that he went alone on the quest, so no one expected him to return.

meanwhile... we somehow have an older, beat-up elf now in charge of the orcs.

is there any chance that Adar is Elrond's father?

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

So as we know, almost nothing in this show is a throw-away line.   it has some sort of meaning, even if its only for the bookfags. 

Hearing the story from the Elf King telling Elrond that his father basically self-sacrificed and rode out to try and stop the coming war, we know he never returned, supposedly going to the same place that they were sending Galadriel  but that story kind of implies that he went alone on the quest, so no one expected him to return.

Makes sense he is his father.  Might be a Darth Vader kinda thing.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

I don't think there's a lot of evidence for that.

I am probably going to have to rewatch the point where Halbrand giving his backstory to Galadriel.

My inital thought based no the classic overlay cut showing what happened in the past it was HEAVILY implying that Halbrand had bent the knee to Adar, and was one of the crowd who left the Tower to swear fealty to Adar.  

At first showing, I assumed he was the blond dude to the left of the old guy who loves him some old-school Sauron

However, I was thinking about it when replying to this post, that maybe the focus was on the kid to the left of the old guy because he was about to be "sacrificed" by the old guy.  I put that in quotations because the supposed death happened off screen.... and we all know what that can mean.

so my first watch says 2 diff timelines that will eventually merge at the point where Halbrand ends up seeing Adar again after having sworn fealty.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The Elven King says the war is over and sends Galadriel across the sea.  It would make sense that he closed down all the outposts at the same time.  I'm still not convinced all of the story lines aren't concurrent.

I don’t think it’s 2 timelines 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

My inital thought based no the classic overlay cut showing what happened in the past it was HEAVILY implying that Halbrand had bent the knee to Adar, and was one of the crowd who left the Tower to swear fealty to Adar. 

exactly my thought.

17 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

That's a big nope unless they want to royally piss of everyone who's read the Silmarillion.  To cut the story short, Elrond's father is currently on a boat that is able to sail/fly to the furthest reaches of world and is seen is a star in the night sky because of the Silmaril he wears on his head(the star whose light Galadriel captured to make the vial Frodo uses).  His sacrifice is the reason the Valar returned to Middle Earth to defeat the original big bad Morgoth.  It would be like if someone made a movie that's meant to be a serious interpretation of the Bible and when Jesus rises from the dead he becomes a bad guy (which actually sounds kind of cool if he were a flesh eating zombie).  

Edited by Longhornfan1024

question for you guys.  i very much enjoyed the lord of the rings movies and have enjoyed this series.  but i have never read or reviewed all the background canon of this universe in any detail.  for all of you that have, am i right in assuming that...

Spoiler

the southlands are about to become mordor and that the tower that all the humans are holed up at with the elf is going to be that big ass tower at the heart of mordor where his eye is in lotr?  i'm assuming they are beating us uninitiated/uneducated over the head with it but i just want to confirm that i'm not off track.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, sidis said:

question for you guys.  i very much enjoyed the lord of the rings movies and have enjoyed this series.  but i have never read or reviewed all the background canon of this universe in any detail.  for all of you that have, am i right in assuming that...

Hide contents

the southlands are about to become mordor and that the tower that all the humans are holed up at with the elf is going to be that big ass tower at the heart of mordor where his eye is in lotr?  i'm assuming they are beating us uninitiated/uneducated over the head with it but i just want to confirm that i'm not off track.

Spoiler

Yes geographically the Southlands is Mordor. I'm not sure if the tower has any significance or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I was assuming that the tower the elves were building with the dwarves help was going to end up being the eye of sauron tower, but I have no idea where they are building it.

I’m pretty sure the tower your speaking of is being built in ergion the eleven city, west of the misty mountains and quite a bit nw of what becomes Mordor 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UT_OB1 said:

I’m pretty sure the tower your speaking of is being built in ergion the eleven city, west of the misty mountains and quite a bit nw of what becomes Mordor 

Correct. It’s not so much a tower as a great forge

Spoiler

Where one might forge a bunch of rings, perhaps 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Hate said:

Hide contents

that would fit in with my very first thought when he was introduced. I thought the builder elf that knew Elrond(sp?) was Sauron.

Spoiler

Celebrimbor forge the rings of power when he learns of Sauron forging the One Ring after he tricks the smithen elves in disguise 

That’s a big spoiler to your theory 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:
  Hide contents

Celebrimbor forge the rings of power when he learns of Sauron forging the One Ring after he tricks the smithen elves in disguise 

Spoiler

I could be wrong, but I thought I read sauron deceived the smithys to create the rings of men and dwarves so they would be subservient to the one ring, but then celebrimbor figured it out and forged the three elven rings on his own. Which I guess doesn’t conflict with what you said  

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Hate said:

Hide contents

that would fit in with my very first thought when he was introduced. I thought the builder elf that knew Elrond(sp?) was Sauron.

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:
  Hide contents

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:
  Hide contents

I could be wrong, but I thought I read sauron deceived the smithys to create the rings of men and dwarves so they would be subservient to the one ring, but then celebrimbor figured it out and forged the three elven rings on his own. Which I guess doesn’t conflict with what you said  

Spoiler

Biff is correct. Celimbrombimbor (I can’t spell that fuckers name) is tricked, along with other elves, in to making 16 rings with Sauron’s help. Cel makes the 3 elven rings on his own. 

Spoiler

Then Sauron beats Cel to death with his own hammer and forges the one

• Hook 'Em 1

I am kind of confused on the timeline going on in this show.  Sauron at some point gives the rings to elves/men/dwarves and they don’t realize he made the one ring to control them all.  This would mean Sauron wasn’t viewed as an evil villain yet, right?  So at the beginning of this show, Galadriel and the rest are hunting Sauron and the world knows him as evil but the rings haven’t even been made yet.  Am I missing something?  (I am a dumbass so I am sure this is obvious and I am just missing what is really happening time wise). 

9 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I am kind of confused on the timeline going on in this show.  Sauron at some point gives the rings to elves/men/dwarves and they don’t realize he made the one ring to control them all.  This would mean Sauron wasn’t viewed as an evil villain yet, right?  So at the beginning of this show, Galadriel and the rest are hunting Sauron and the world knows him as evil but the rings haven’t even been made yet.  Am I missing something?  (I am a dumbass so I am sure this is obvious and I am just missing what is really happening time wise). 

He’s known as Sauron the Deceiver for a reason. It’s discussed in the spoilers above. 

11 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Spoiler

i may not be a tolkien world expert but it is pretty well known that during the "first age," when morgoth was running around earth wrecking shit and starting wars, sauron was his right hand man.  i believe he was originally just a really damned good smith worker with o.c.d. or something that wasn't evil but that morgoth seduced him to the dark side with all kinds of promises of remaking the world in his perfectionist image.  so sauron was definitely a bad dude prior to this existing timeline and everyone knew it.  but when the good guys got morgoth, they thought they had effectively "fixed the glitch" on earth and they kind of forgot about sauron and sauron went into hiding.  everyone except our featured hot ass elf.  so he laid low for a while but he's now going to emerge and turn the southlands into mordor.  and he's going to do some deception in the elven world about to forge some rings and trick the humans (my recollection is he does not successfully trick elves or dwarves).  then a big fight that sets the stage for the prologue of lotr.

Edited by sidis

36 minutes ago, sidis said:
  Hide contents

i may not be a tolkien world expert but it is pretty well known that during the "first age," when morgoth was running around earth wrecking shit and starting wars, sauron was his right hand man.  i believe he was originally just a really damned good smith worker with o.c.d. or something that wasn't evil but that morgoth seduced him to the dark side with all kinds of promises of remaking the world in his perfectionist image.  so sauron was definitely a bad dude prior to this existing timeline and everyone knew it.  but when the good guys got morgoth, they thought they had effectively "fixed the glitch" on earth and they kind of forgot about sauron and sauron went into hiding.  everyone except our featured hot ass elf.  so he laid low for a while but he's now going to emerge and turn the southlands into mordor.  and he's going to do some deception in the elven world about to forge some rings and trick the humans (my recollection is he does not successfully trick elves or dwarves).  then a big fight that sets the stage for the prologue of lotr.

Spoiler

He tricks some of the elves and (all?) dwarves. That’s how he gets the help to make the rings. He’s already here somewhere in the show pulling the strings to get the tower built. The eleven smith we see will help make the rings, and he will make they elven rings in secret, so they are not as corrupted. The dwarves will take their rings, and while their …nature?… keeps them from being corrupted in to wraiths, it will make them more greedy so they fall to ruin. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:
  Hide contents

He tricks some of the elves and (all?) dwarves. That’s how he gets the help to make the rings. He’s already here somewhere in the show pulling the strings to get the tower built. The eleven smith we see will help make the rings, and he will make they elven rings in secret, so they are not as corrupted. The dwarves will take their rings, and while their …nature?… keeps them from being corrupted in to wraiths, it will make them more greedy so they fall to ruin. 

thanks for the clarification.