Graphic. Guy shoots neighbors pit which looked like it was going to attack.

crash_davis

14 hours ago, closetohumping said:

curious about these feral dogs that kill and maim livestock.   Is there a huge variety of breeds or the usual aggressive ones?

All animals go feral.  Domestic pink pigs released in the wild start to show significant physical appearance changes in as little as 6 months.  Longer cutters, growing and thicker hair, etc.  

"Any pig that gets out can revert back in a matter of months to a state where it can exist in the wild," said Brown. "It will get hairy, grow tusks and get aggressive. They're so good at adapting, and with their scavenging nature, they can get by pretty much anywhere."

Most feral dogs I've seen are large, aggressive mutts.  Its their size and feral disposition, not breed that makes them dangerous.  60-70lb dog can mess you up.  A pack can take down livestock or main the crap out of them.

They also "thrill kill" - meaning they get into a bloodlust and kill for the sport, not the meat.  Whole crops or lamb/goats can get decimated

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyRage said:

Do you consider Coyotes dogs? If so, I would say that it's much more common in urban areas. The food sources are much easier to come by.

Coyotes are one of the few breeds that have seen their numbers increase with human incursion.  They are everywhere.  With all these manicured suburban yards bringing in rabbits, it's too easy for the yotes and bobcats to feast.

24 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Coyotes are one of the few breeds that have seen their numbers increase with human incursion.  They are everywhere.  With all these manicured suburban yards bringing in rabbits, it's too easy for the yotes and bobcats to feast.

Deer. Squirrels. Seagulls. Pigeons. Cockroaches. All pre-adapted to the environment humans create when they turn nature into a place to live.

Coyotes at least perform a service by eating feral cats, pigeons, stray or lose dogs. Give me coyotes over any of those any day.

Coyotes come around where I live fairly often. My dogs go crazy wanting to get out. They don't seem to realize they would be lunch (or a midnight snack) for a pack of coyotes.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Deer. Squirrels. Seagulls. Pigeons. Cockroaches. All pre-adapted to the environment humans create when they turn nature into a place to live.

Coyotes at least perform a service by eating feral cats, pigeons, stray or lose dogs. Give me coyotes over any of those any day.

Coyotes come around where I live fairly often. My dogs go crazy wanting to get out. They don't seem to realize they would be lunch (or a midnight snack) for a pack of coyotes.

100%

We see them all the time at night.  When something like an ambulance sets them off and they start singing, you get a glimpse of how many there are and how close they are.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

My aunt lives outside Coleman and raises horses.  Had a huge gaggle of feral cats that kept the vermin at bay.  Then the coyotes caught on.  In one night.  No more cats.  Talking dozens of cats.  At least the Guinea could get up in trees or on the roof.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

All animals go feral.  Domestic pink pigs released in the wild start to show significant physical appearance changes in as little as 6 months.  Longer cutters, growing and thicker hair, etc.  

Most feral dogs I've seen are large, aggressive mutts.  Its their size and feral disposition, not breed that makes them dangerous.  60-70lb dog can mess you up.  A pack can take down livestock or main the crap out of them.

They also "thrill kill" - meaning they get into a bloodlust and kill for the sport, not the meat.  Whole crops or lamb/goats can get decimated

Fascinating honestly

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Fascinating honestly

Objectively, yes....but for struggling ranchers (as most are), they are extremely destructive.  Why all the wolves were eradicated.  Can't run livestock with wolves...which is what these feral packs essentially turn into.  

Read up on how destructive feral cats are in Australia.  They have open season on them and "cat hunters" who are brought in to try and cull their numbers.  They have essentially destroyed entire swathes of the ecosystem.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

100%

We see them all the time at night.  When something like an ambulance sets them off and they start singing, you get a glimpse of how many there are and how close they are.  

This isn't my picture, but check this out:

May be an image of outdoors

That's in Alpena County.

I live in suburban OC.  Tons of coyotes

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

My aunt lives outside Coleman and raises horses.  Had a huge gaggle of feral cats that kept the vermin at bay.  Then the coyotes caught on.  In one night.  No more cats.  Talking dozens of cats.  At least the Guinea could get up in trees or on the roof.  

Cats don't live in the barn?

I had a new neighbor come by asking if I had seen their cat. Had their young daughter in tow. They moved in, and let their cat outside. No more cat.

I just said I'd keep an eye out and let them know if I saw it. I didn't mention the coyotes, bobcats, chicken hawks, nor our terrier Bon Bon the Rabbit Killer who would love to play with a cat for a change.

Hopefully, they'll figure out what happened to it before they get another.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, High Plains Drifter said:

Cats don't live in the barn?

I had a new neighbor come by asking if I had seen their cat. Had their young daughter in tow. They moved in, and let their cat outside. No more cat.

I just said I'd keep an eye out and let them know if I saw it. I didn't mention the coyotes, bobcats, chicken hawks, nor our terrier Bon Bon the Rabbit Killer who would love to play with a cat for a change.

Hopefully, they'll figure out what happened to it before they get another.

All over the barn, but where a cat can go, so can a skinny yote' for the most part.  

Neighbor had the same thing happen.  Lived on a greenbelt and the first night they let their cat out....gone.  

36 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I live in Cedar Park near a greenbelt that backs up to Brushy Creek.  We hear Coyotes all the time.  Neighbors have captured them on their security cameras.  Neighborhood outdoor cats are "disappearing" all the time.  Also, 6ft fences don't mean shit to these guys.

image.thumb.png.b6a0a3b0593e67ffd0a6e6d1760483e1.png

image.thumb.png.0fbfd34940caeb87182c22cb14f76033.png

image.thumb.png.517f65fe463bc3b1af0a2bcb75943b7c.png

image.thumb.png.9195ff9caff0a09c9a5a1a286f9f4719.png

Cool pics!  Cool animals!

3 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

The smoker walks out facing that direction. He is gathering information. He looks back at his Ring Doorbell twice to make sure it is recording..

Having said that, I've been working around a lot of other peoples' dogs. This dog was coming with intent to get within a foot or so. I doubt he would have latched on, but who knows? And the guy in his front yard doesn't have to find out. But go have a cigarette in your backyard.

Hear me out. The guys has keys in hand. I think they were about to go somewhere and he decides to smoke a cig while waiting on the woman to come out before getting into the car. He keeps looking at the door waiting on the woman to come out to lock the door. Most people that hear gun shots don't take the time to put on and zip up a big coat/hood and put on shoes before looking out the door. I think she was already wearing them because she was ready to go somewhere. I could be way off but that's very feasible to me.

Regardless, it is the dog owner's responsibility to secure the dog and he failed at that. The dog was acting in a very aggressive manner. I think its justified. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Objectively, yes....but for struggling ranchers (as most are), they are extremely destructive.  Why all the wolves were eradicated.  Can't run livestock with wolves...which is what these feral packs essentially turn into.  

Read up on how destructive feral cats are in Australia.  They have open season on them and "cat hunters" who are brought in to try and cull their numbers.  They have essentially destroyed entire swathes of the ecosystem.  

Get rid of the cats, then there's this:

15 minutes ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Hear me out. The guys has keys in hand. I think they were about to go somewhere and he decides to smoke a cig while waiting on the woman to come out before getting into the car. He keeps looking at the door waiting on the woman to come out to lock the door. Most people that hear gun shots don't take the time to put on and zip up a big coat/hood and put on shoes before looking out the door. I think she was already wearing them because she was ready to go somewhere. I could be way off but that's very feasible to me.

fuck, i think you nailed it.

tenor.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Regardless, it is the dog owner's responsibility to secure the dog and he failed at that. The dog was acting in a very aggressive manner. I think its justified. 

I didn’t watch much after they started to beef. Good point. I thought he had a beanie in his left hand. He puts it on his on his head to free up his hand. I didn’t see any keys.

I grew up in the country just outside of town, and asshole city folks dropped their unwanted dogs out there all the time, making themselves feel better by assuming some "kind country folk" would take them in.  They packed up and roamed, and most ended up on the other end of a shotgun unfortunately.  Anyone who would dump a dog, or any other domesticated creature, to fend for itself is a sick fuck.

As for why the guy had a gun, I can't say, but I did live in New Mexico for one terrible stretch and the asshole across the street had a muscled up aggressive pit bull that got out of his yard on occasion.  I didn't keep a gun on my belt when I went out to smoke, but I did keep a lead pipe right inside the garage door.  Sure enough, the dog got out one day when my dog and I were in the garage, and it came tearing across the street and attacked my dog and me.   Neighbor was really pissed when I dropped the dog on his porch.  Threatened to shoot me.  God I hate New Mexico.

I live in South San Antonio and witnessed a dog being run over yesterday. When I drove through later, it was curled up dead. I've seen this more than once in this poor part of SA and it's disgusting and heart breaking. Life is cheap. I'm sitting here with my Pit on my lap. She's better behaved than my mutt and loveable, but the few times its gotten a head of steam it's Katy bar the door. This dog has cost me too much $ in fencing and worry. I rescued the dog from the streets and would never do so again, but now it's my responsibility to keep the dog alive and people safe.

In terms of dog packs, locally we just had a pack of huskies taken down for goat killing. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I have no real issue with ranchers protecting their livestock from coyotes.  Stringing them up on the fence doesn't deter other coyotes.  Not sure the point of it.  Here are a couple I have run across, one being the biggest coyote I have ever seen.  Maybe a coydog?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Regarding stray and dumped dogs, it is a really big problem in Houston.  No secret I spend a lot of time in Houston's rougher neighborhoods doing photography.  I see so many dogs.  Strays, dumped, dead and dumped (some bait dogs, others fighers that lost).  It is sickening.  I have helped rescue several of them.  A couple of them were flea infested or mangy.  Got them homed though.  Just look at these terrifying monsters.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the last one I helped.  Beautiful bully breed.  Still had a 10 foot chain attached to its neck.  It wouldn't let me get close enough to remove it, was scared to death.  I left him some food while the rescue group came to get him.  I couldn't stick around, hope they got him.

Jtnzhyxk o

People are so fucked up.  It is shocking so many people aren't self aware enough to recognize they can not or should not own a dog (or have kids).  As bad as I feel for these dogs, canines will likely out last the human race.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Stringing them up on the fence doesn't deter other coyotes.  Not sure the point of it. 

Probably habit from when they were still receiving bounties.  There was an adjacent landowner to a place we used to hunt that still paid/was in the program about 10 years ago. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have no real issue with ranchers protecting their livestock from coyotes.  Stringing them up on the fence doesn't deter other coyotes.  Not sure the point of it.  Here are a couple I have run across, one being the biggest coyote I have ever seen.  Maybe a coydog?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Regarding stray and dumped dogs, it is a really big problem in Houston.  No secret I spend a lot of time in Houston's rougher neighborhoods doing photography.  I see so many dogs.  Strays, dumped, dead and dumped (some bait dogs, others fighers that lost).  It is sickening.  I have helped rescue several of them.  A couple of them were flea infested or mangy.  Got them homed though.  Just look at these terrifying monsters.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the last one I helped.  Beautiful bully breed.  Still had a 10 foot chain attached to its neck.  It wouldn't let me get close enough to remove it, was scared to death.  I left him some food while the rescue group came to get him.  I couldn't stick around, hope they got him.

Jtnzhyxk o

People are so fucked up.  It is shocking so many people aren't self aware enough to recognize they can not or should not own a dog (or have kids).  As bad as I feel for these dogs, canines will likely out last the human race.

Cuties.  Wife and I years back were at a hotel and headed up to a graduation party.  Little pit/Staffordshire pup runs up and jumps in wife's arms.  So we take pup up to party and get the usual "you brought your dog to a party" looks until we told the story.

Gave to my cousin and every time we'd come over, she still remembered us.  Lived 15+ years.  Great, great dogs when raised right....but that's true of all dogs.  Pits just have the tools to do more damage when angered.  When I worked at a vet as a college kid, the two worst biters were the sharpei and irish setters.  Sharps have "dead eyes" like Chow dogs, so you can't tell easily when they are angered and Setter's are such inbred, skittish dogs they fear-bite all the time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Not gonna watch it, but I sure as hell won't categorically say "man, he shouldn't shoot a dog," because I once had a bead on a similar dog and came a fraction of a second from pulling the trigger.

Out hunting in S. Texas, round a corner, and a pit-ish dog sees me and comes barreling at me, snarling and barking in aggressive mode.  Not our dog, shouldn't have been on our land.  I yell at it, it keeps coming.  I shoulder my 12 gauge, and tell myself that if he crosses that prickly pear 10 feet in front of me, I have to shoot to stop him.  Thankfully, he stopped a couple of feet shy of it, barked at me some more, and I yelled at him enough to make him turn around and walk away.

Keep your fucking dogs secured -- that's a good practice, folks.

When I was a kid, my mom brought her 20 guage outside to drop a pitbull (or similar) that came over for kitten snacks several times. She had me go talk to the owners a couple of times. Didn't help. The dog would just rip off the bottom of the wooden fence around the back yard and roam the neighborhood. They said they couldn't control the dog. Didn't even need to dig...just tore up the fence. We were heading to the car, she sees the dog with kitten in mouth, tells me to go get in the car, and she went in to get the shotgun. All I can see is the dog, not mom. The dog was just happy as hell wagging it's tail so hard it was moving around so proud and happy it got that kitten. It was not aggressive in the slightest to me or mom, and seemed like it was showing her the proud kill/toy. But it wasn't leaving the yard. Boom. Then the most unexpected thing happened. That dog just ran away. Not at all what I expected. I thought she missed. Kids found it a couple of blocks away legs up and pellet marks all over a day or so later...good shot from Mom. She forever had the reputation as the Dog Lady (layup for Shag/Surly jokes). And of course, since that dog was no threat to her, she could have gotten in some hot water for doing that, especially since she had time to go back inside and get the gun. But it's Texas, so no complaints from owner or neighbors. She later got her law degree after I headed off to UT, and talks about the dozens of ways she could have been in trouble or the half of dozen other things she could have done. Never even occured to her to fire into the ground or shoot rock salt....she wanted that scalp. Hell, as I write this with hindsight, I don't know how she popped that dog without hitting the neighbors house...she had to be within five feet...she's really short and houses are really close.

I wonder if that dog in your story really was coming full throttle at you if it could still get at you even if shot? I defer to you and the hunters on that question and granted a 12 will do much more damage than a 20, but she was much closer than ten feet.

I won't watch the video. I was then and remain Team Dog over the constant flood of kitten litters mom enabled/adopted/ignored and still does to this day. At this age, she's central casting cat lady. The pup was helping in lieu of spaying and neutering those semi stray cats.

I now live in a city where shooting any gun of any kind, including BB/pellet guns is prohibited and they have triangulation monitors to track discharge location. And any animal not on a leash for half a second gets multiple calls to animal control and nastigrams on hood message boards. If someone (new to the area) posts on NextDoor or whatever a friendly note that there is a so and so colored dog off the leash on the street if the owner wants to come get them, a rage army of people demand that people not post that crap and immediately call animal control. Different time and different world.

I didn't realize dogs/pigs/etc revert and pack hunt for sport. I guess I always assumed pets that got loose had no hunting skills and eventually fell to wild animals.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2018/09/13/americas-most-dangerous-dog-breeds-infographic/?sh=408ddc662f8b

Spoiler

Pit Bulls clock in at #1 with 284. Rottweilers at #2 with 45.

I don't judge the guy because I do not know what I would have done in that situation (okay I 100% would not have a gun on me), but seems like he had an itchy trigger finger ... could have at least attempted to run back inside - you cannot see from the video but seems like he saw the dog coming and could have at least tried to get inside and given the dog a chance, and #noexpert but was not obvious the dog was attacking him. Guessing there might be some simmering neighbor beef going on.

Edited by Harrison Bergeron
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

I wonder if that dog in your story really was coming full throttle at you if it could still get at you even if shot? I defer to you and the hunters on that question and granted a 12 will do much more damage than a 20, but she was much closer than ten feet.

Face to face, birdshot in the eyes whether it's a 12 or 20 is going to do damage.  At such close range the shot patterns won't open and you have a solid mass of pellets a few inches across.  You would get a lot of shallow, superficial damage, but little penetration (which presents a big problem is a SD scenario:  human or animal).

15 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

I didn't realize dogs/pigs/etc revert and pack hunt for sport. I guess I always assumed pets that got loose had no hunting skills and eventually fell to wild animals.

Yep.  And it's crazy fast.  Call of the Wild, and all that jazz. 

Dogs are just inbred wolves and all pigs are essentially no different (domestic vs wild).  Both species are exceptionally smart as well, so they adapt so quickly.  Now small dogs.  They're fooked.  Leaving packs of large, fast dogs that can do real damage

Negative impacts from feral dogs include threats to human health and safety, agriculture, natural resources, and property. Pimentel et al. (2005) estimated monetary losses to feral dogs within the U.S. at $620 million annually. In Texas alone, annual feral dog damage to livestock . is approximately $5 million (Carter 1990). However , overall impacts are not well defined due to a paucity of data (Denny 1974).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Jtnzhyxk o

We got our Pit mix from a shelter in Seguin.  10 puppies found on the side of the road on a box left to die. I can't imagine the cowardice it takes to do something fucked up like that.  Just drive to a shelter, they'll take them and then they have more of a chance.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

My family has some land out in western ks and the barn cat population goes from boom to bust every couple of years due to coyotes. About 2 years ago there were around 6-7 full grown cats and 10ish kittens running around the barns and outbuildings. Within 1 year they were all gone due to coyotes and the mice population boomed due to no cats, you could open a barn door and see 10 mice scurry to cover. 

My dad tried to grab some feral/barn cats from a city shelter to repopulate the farm but they kept asking questions about how he would care for them, are there predators around etc so he just found some other farmer who had a surplus of cats and relocated a couple to his land. 

The coyotes will probably get them at some point but then the cat and mouse game will begin again. 

21 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Ummm without going full CR perhaps you should think about the demographic that tend to own them.

Nothing CR about it. I don’t think it’s the owners fault typically. 

They’re just the most common dogs to attack people. Just last week had patient that got torn up by his friend’s pit bull when he was helping him move. I have pic but it’s probably best not to post on this site. 

20 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I have a small pack of feral cats I’m dealing with right now.  They annihilate bird life.  My dog kinda keeps them out of the yard, but they will retreat to my neighbors yard and just stare at me waiting to go back inside.  I keep hoping my community will get a coyote.

• Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Ted Dantzler said:

My family has some land out in western ks and the barn cat population goes from boom to bust every couple of years due to coyotes. About 2 years ago there were around 6-7 full grown cats and 10ish kittens running around the barns and outbuildings. Within 1 year they were all gone due to coyotes and the mice population boomed due to no cats, you could open a barn door and see 10 mice scurry to cover. 

My dad tried to grab some feral/barn cats from a city shelter to repopulate the farm but they kept asking questions about how he would care for them, are there predators around etc so he just found some other farmer who had a surplus of cats and relocated a couple to his land. 

The coyotes will probably get them at some point but then the cat and mouse game will begin again. 

Mice, cats, and coyotes. The circle of life out here. I think owls are hell on the cats, too. 

Probably habit from when they were still receiving bounties.  There was an adjacent landowner to a place we used to hunt that still paid/was in the program about 10 years ago. 

Google up Wolf Corner Houston and you’ll find a bunch of stories about the guy that owned land at Hwy 6/Fm529 who would hang coyotes in the fence there back in the 60s and 70s. Chronicle had a big story in the guy years ago with

Google up Wolf Corner Houston and you’ll find a bunch of stories about the guy that owned land at Hwy 6/Fm529 who would hang coyotes in the fence there back in the 60s and 70s. Chronicle had a big story in the guy years ago with

Yep. I grew up not far from there and would hear people talking about it when it conversations of what the area used to be like.

1 minute ago, davidg said:

I read something on this one time.  Thought it was some of the last wolves around these parts?