If you could only listen to music from one ten year period?

Caponata

10 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Ya ya ya everyone hates disco. Meanwhile whenever a good disco song plays, everyone jumps up and dances. It’s the late ridiculous disco that destroyed the genre. 

I agree with that last sentence 100%.    At the end, disco became 1) ubiquitous and 2) awful.  e.g. Sesame Street disco.  Streisand disco.  Disco duck.  Fucking KISS made a disco song. 

On 1/28/2022 at 11:52 PM, UTCzech III said:

For sure.  Beatles from Rubber Soul to their end, Pet Sounds, the emergence and transformations of the Stones, Pink Floyd, the Who, Led Zep, the Kinks.  The summer of love and psychadelica, Hendrix, Janis.  Elvis' comeback.  The golden age of country with Johnny Cash, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Roger Miller, Tom T. Hall, Conway Twitty, all in their prime.

Some damned good Elton John in that era.  Tiny Dancer is from 1972.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 1:41 AM, Paul Wesley said:

I agree with that last sentence 100%.    At the end, disco became 1) ubiquitous and 2) awful.  e.g. Sesame Street disco.  Streisand disco.  Disco duck.  Fucking KISS made a disco song. 

Zeppelin, and the Stones made disco-esque type tunes IMO.  I think most groups had some type of disco tune in their songs during that era.

1968-1978

Beatles, Hendrix, best ABB lineup, Buffalo Springfield, Stones, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Dylan, Grateful Dead, Velvet Underground, Santana, Steely Dan, Parliament/Funkadelic, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eagles, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Van Halen, AC/DC

Fight me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 12:15 PM, Goredho said:

1968-1978

Beatles, Hendrix, best ABB lineup, Buffalo Springfield, Stones, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Dylan, Grateful Dead, Velvet Underground, Santana, Steely Dan, Parliament/Funkadelic, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eagles, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Van Halen, AC/DC

Fight me.

Your world doesn’t include Sgt. Pepper’s. I win that fight. The world needs Sgt. Pepper’s. I don’t care if you liked Abbey Road better. Sgt. Pepper’s was one of the most important albums of all time. And we need Within You Without You.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/28/2022 at 11:55 PM, Gil Bang said:

Yeah, I like Conway Twitty a lot.  I saw he and George Jones on the same bill  Tom T, sure.  Roger, sure.  But who the fuck stood in lines to buy their albums?  Beatles, stones, zep...yeah.  People went apeshit when a new record came out.  

Fucking "Hello Darlin'" is cool and all, but I'm not in a hurry to hear that shit.  Country just wasn't and isn't that exciting. 

Good Lord, Gil. He lists a who’s who of artists, most of whom wrote their own songs and are considered among the best ever at it, and you crap on Conway Twitty? I never saw a line in the record section of our local Gibson store but it seemed to me that everyone you listed sold about the same and there were a lot of Gibsons in small towns back then.

As for your feelings about country music in general watch Ken Burns’ documentary about it if you haven’t already. It might change your mind 

• Haha 1

i can't pinpoint exact years bc i don't know when anything was specifically released 😜 but i agree with anything from mid to late 80s into 90s.

pretty much golden age of music for me, everything from new wave to rock to rap/hip hop...too many artists to even list, but basically any song from most any genre in that period is the shit. hell even C&W kicked ass then, and i don't even like C&W anymore lol.

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

i can't pinpoint exact years bc i don't know when anything was specifically released 😜 but i agree with anything from mid to late 80s into 90s.

pretty much golden age of music for me, everything from new wave to rock to rap/hip hop...too many artists to even list, but basically any song from most any genre in that period is the shit. hell even C&W kicked ass then, and i don't even like C&W anymore lol.

If you slide UT Czech III’s decade just a year forward you get The Outlaws album in ‘76 with Willie, Waylon, et al. Thanks to my father I was already familiar with their past work but even to my 12 year old self this sounded like something new and different.

But if you slide that decade past ‘65 you lose a ton of cool shit as well 

On 1/29/2022 at 12:02 PM, Hefeweizen said:

What about you?  I know what I wouldn’t pick and that is 2010 to 2020.  I’m officially old.

64-74 for obvious reasons but prob 84-94. I wouldn't pick it but there was a lot of good indie music from 2002-2012. 

On 2/5/2022 at 12:25 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Your world doesn’t include Sgt. Pepper’s. I win that fight. The world needs Sgt. Pepper’s. I don’t care if you liked Abbey Road better. Sgt. Pepper’s was one of the most important albums of all time. And we need Within You Without You.

I would cope by listening to better concept albums (Dark Side of the Moon, Tommy, What’s Going On, Ziggy Stardust).  Sgt Peppers isn’t even the best concept album of the preceding 10 years with Pet Sounds dunking hard all over it in a contest with only two contenders. Next.

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I would cope by listening to better concept albums (Dark Side of the Moon, Tommy, What’s Going On, Ziggy Stardust).  Sgt Peppers isn’t even the best concept album of the preceding 10 years with Pet Sounds dunking hard all over it in a contest with only two contenders. Next.

It is the best cover though.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Sgt. Pepper’s is better than Pet Sounds. You may disagree with that subjective judgment. You can’t argue with the objective fact that Sgt. Pepper’s was more important and had a wider impact both musically and culturally. And your date range excludes Pet Sounds anyway so I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make there. Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to go back and listen to Sgt. Peppers again just to refresh your memory on its greatness.

Also, Quadrophenia is better than Tommy. And we can debate whether it’s more important to have ‘67 or ‘78 in the date range of this silly hypothetical. But any date range that doesn’t include ‘73 and ‘74 is right out and I will have no truck with anyone who says otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You can’t argue with the objective fact that Sgt. Pepper’s was more important and had a wider impact both musically and culturally.

Yes, you can, actually. For starters - Pet Sounds was released before any of Sgt. Pepper's was recorded. 

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes, you can, actually. For starters - Pet Sounds was released before any of Sgt. Pepper's was recorded. 

Musically Pet sounds is unique, and brilliant, and before it's time a bit.  As a popular market product it's more difficult to access. Sgt. Pepper is certainly a more straight forward rock, and roll album for the most part. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2022 at 1:48 PM, Dbeasy said:

Ya ya ya everyone hates disco. Meanwhile whenever a good disco song plays, everyone jumps up and dances. It’s the late ridiculous disco that destroyed the genre. 

Further proof of some of the greatness that was the disco era. This unreleased song has blown up world wide on tik tok and is a hit. 

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdAtTY2o/

On 1/29/2022 at 10:40 AM, tbone_ said:

I’d probably 68-78. I want Boston in there.

Pretty close - I'll go 69-79.  The Stones classic run (minus Beggar's Banquet).  Zeppelin.  The Who.  Waylon and Willie's best work.  Sabbath.  AC/DC's best albums.  Jerry Jeff.  Little Feat.  Zevon's best work.  Etc.

27 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Man what an impossible question to answer.

I may go with 1991-2001.

You get all of the great grunge stuff, tons of great hip hop and some early aughts alt-rock, including all of the early alt-country stuff, early Radiohead, etc.

This is a great answer as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Pretty close - I'll go 69-79.  The Stones classic run (minus Beggar's Banquet).  Zeppelin.  The Who.  Waylon and Willie's best work.  Sabbath.  AC/DC's best albums.  Jerry Jeff.  Little Feat.  Zevon's best work.  Etc.

Plus all of Elton John's classic albums, Eagles (thru "Hotel California"), all of CCR save their debut, Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band's first two albums, all of the pre-schlock Chicago albums, The Cars debut, Sex Pistols, tons of AOR (Kansas, Styx, Journey, REO Speedwagon. Cheap Trick, etc.).

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Plus all of Elton John's classic albums, Eagles (thru "Hotel California"), all of CCR save their debut, Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band's first two albums, all of the pre-schlock Chicago albums, The Cars debut, Sex Pistols, tons of AOR (Kansas, Styx, Journey, REO Speedwagon. Cheap Trick, etc.).

Hell yes to all of this.

On 1/29/2022 at 2:51 AM, HornPhD said:

Run DMC, Beastie Boys, and RHCP are enough to carry this decade. Plus, two albums by The Who and four from the the Stones.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:37 AM, jimmyjazz said:

and

image.png.574933a26976aa901ed956067666e1f9.png

I'll stop there.

and Public Enemy;

and New Order, Depeche Mode, The Cure;

and the beginning of MTV with all of the one-hit wonders and European acts that wouldn't have hit the US otherwise;

and George Strait from Strait From the Heart to Livin' it Up;

and, most importantly, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble from Texas Flood through The Sky is Crying (basically all SRV).

I'm with jimmyjazz with 1981-1991.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 9:16 PM, Rimbo said:

that's a pretty good time period right there.

I might go with 1976-1986. NWOBHM, all the good hair metal before it went bad, the beginning of thrash, plus all the New Wave.

Something like this does it for me.   You get:

New Wave/College/early Alternative stuff like Joy Division/early New Order, Depeche Mode, U2, David Bowie, INXS, The Smiths, etc.

Some decent rock/classic rock like The Police, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Queen, The Eagles, Tom Petty, AC/DC, The Clash, Journey, etc.  

And then the other stuff from the era; George Strait, ABBA, general late disco stuff, some Bob Marley,  Prince and a shit ton more.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh! This is both a terrific and a horrible question. I love such a large swath of music from different genres it's agony. I thought I might lean classical but then there have been some marvelous picks above.

But if it had to be only a decade and it's all I could listen to from now until death, I'd have to pick from around 1925-1935. Simply because it contains the song my husband and I both sing to each other--the classic, "Always" by Irving Berlin. He wrote it as a wedding gift for his wife, Ellin. (and it has to be the original lyrics, as it has been adapted over the years (i.e. I love Patsy Cline, but she sings the short version) but the original is what my spouse sings. It never fails to make me fall in love all over again.

Spoiler

Always

1925, Irving Berlin

Everything went wrong,
And the whole day long
I'd feel so blue.
For the longest while
I'd forget to smile,
Then I met you.
Now that my blue days have passed,
Now that I've found you at last -

I'll be loving you Always
With a love that's true Always.
When the things you've planned
Need a helping hand,
I will understand Always.

Always.

Days may not be fair Always,
That's when I'll be there Always.
Not for just an hour,
Not for just a day,
Not for just a year,
But Always.

I'll be loving you, oh Always
With a love that's true Always.
When the things you've planned
Need a helping hand,
I will understand Always.

Always.

Days may not be fair Always,
That's when I'll be there Always.
Not for just an hour,
Not for just a day,
Not for just a year,
But Always.

Not for just an hour,
Not for just a day,
Not for just a year,
But Always.

I'd go back a little further to catch ragtime, or a little longer to include some of the other hits that came a little later, but those ten years from 1925-1935 have a lot of the songs I enjoy.

Alphabetical:

Ain't Misbehavin, All Of Me, Am I Blue, Anything Goes, Bye Bye Blackbird, Cheek To Cheek, Happy Days Are Here Again, I Get A Kick Out Of You, I'm Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover, In A Mist, In The Jailhouse Now, Keep On the Sunnyside, Mack The Knife,My Blue Heaven, Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen, Oh Lady Be Good, Ol Man River, On The Sunny Side Of The Street, Puttin' On The Ritz, Singing In The Rain (1929), Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, Someone To Watch Over Me, Stardust, Stormy Weather, Sweet Georgia Brown, That Certain Party, The Very Thought of You, Three Little Words, With A Song In My Heart, Yes Sir That's My Baby

Great idea for a thread, thanks for that!

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
I left off a bunch of great songs from that decade, there are loads of them from Gershwin, Kern, Berlin, and others.

19 hours ago, yoladu said:

1984-1994

i wonder how many are picking the time period between when they were age 15 and 25

As much as I love the music that has been composed since the decade I selected, I owe a lot of memories to the earliest songs of the Great American Songbook. The influence for me comes from a connection to my grandmother. She wasn’t a teenager yet, but those songs traveled across America and coincided with the availability of the phonograph and radio to the masses and because they were so popular, eventually reached her ears. She (and later my parents) grew up in poverty and there wasn’t money for shoes and toothbrushes much less anything so frivolous, but the music and lyrics that she heard during those years were sung her whole life. She had a song for every occasion and mood, it seemed, and those tunes wove in and out of the tapestry of our lives. Good times and not so good times.

My older brother was and continues to be a vinyl and turntable fan, a hobby that began when he was in high school and vinyl had long been supplanted by the newer media of disc, etc. He would leave his collection and system behind when he was away at school with orders for me not to touch it.

But that first year he was away I was involved in the ending of a particularly sorrowful love affair with a young man and nothing was going to help but time and a lot of music. And my brother had bought this old album at some point and it had one of Grammy’s songs she sung around the house on it.

The album? Stardust. With the title song written by *Hoagy Carmichael and Mitchell Parish in 1927 and performed by the great Willie Nelson. It’s a wonder I didn’t wear that album out. My gawd it mended my broken heart…and also my ears, after my brother got done yelling at me for messing with his stuff when he returned home for the summer. But it didn’t take too long for us to be sitting side by side as he listened with a sympathetic big brother ear to the tale of tears and heartbreak and it was Blue Skies again.

*So many artists have recorded this song and performed it so well, but the anecdote above relates why Willie's version of it is and always will be special.

On 3/9/2022 at 1:32 PM, yoladu said:

i wonder how many are picking the time period between when they were age 15 and 25

1-11 for me. Most of my favorite music was made before I was born or before I was old enough to know about it or appreciate it. I used to hear Steely Dan on the radio. It wasn’t until years later that I really got it. Steely Dan released Aja in 1977. That year I bought a 45 of Disco Duck. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/8/2022 at 10:48 AM, jimmyjazz said:

And, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers first three albums.

• Hook 'Em 2