If you could only listen to music from one ten year period?

Caponata

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

1965-1975 

For sure.  Beatles from Rubber Soul to their end, Pet Sounds, the emergence and transformations of the Stones, Pink Floyd, the Who, Led Zep, the Kinks.  The summer of love and psychadelica, Hendrix, Janis.  Elvis' comeback.  The golden age of country with Johnny Cash, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Roger Miller, Tom T. Hall, Conway Twitty, all in their prime.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

For sure.  Beatles from Rubber Soul to their end, Pet Sounds, the emergence and transformations of the Stones, Pink Floyd, the Who, Led Zep, the Kinks.  The summer of love and psychadelica, Hendrix, Janis.  Elvis' comeback.  The golden age of country with Johnny Cash, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Roger Miller, Tom T. Hall, Conway Twitty, all in their prime.

Yeah, I like Conway Twitty a lot.  I saw he and George Jones on the same bill  Tom T, sure.  Roger, sure.  But who the fuck stood in lines to buy their albums?  Beatles, stones, zep...yeah.  People went apeshit when a new record came out.  

Fucking "Hello Darlin'" is cool and all, but I'm not in a hurry to hear that shit.  Country just wasn't and isn't that exciting. 

1951 through the end of 1960 gives you early Miles, peak Coltrane, most of Clifford Brown, and early Elvis.

1896-1905 gives a bunch of Mahler Symphonies, a couple of great Strauss tone poems, and Sibelius Finlandia.

Turn of 19th century gives you late Haydn and early-mid Beethoven. You miss Mozart though.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

Pretty much the golden era of rock. Stones, Who, CSNY, Doors, Dead, Dylan (my holy triumvirate of D's) Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Joplin, Buffalo Springfield, Yardbirds, Clapton,  Zappa, Lou Reed which all led us to Punk, and the second British invasion, stop me if you've heard this before... Not even really discussing Woodstock, or Monterey Pop festival.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2

Graduated HS in 97.

91-2001.  I get Nirvana, Pearl Jam 10 RHCP, Metallica at the start. Plus music I love like Counting Crows, Gin Blossoms, Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins and their ilk.

All of the great 90s R&B.  Tupac Biggie Nas, Eminem, Jay-z, Outkast, Bone Thugs. 

Drive-By Truckers (Southern Rock Opera) in 01.

The last great era of Country Music. 

Plus too many guilty pleasures to list.

14 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

and before disco

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I lived through it and never understood the hate. There’s shitty music in all genres and disco certainly had its share, but some of it is damn good.

It’s because insecure men don’t want to admit they like basic music with a great beat that’s fun to listen to. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I lived through it and never understood the hate. There’s shitty music in all genres and disco certainly had its share, but some of it is damn good.

Agreed. Also, a lot of early hip hop is just disco grooves in a different context. Some great grooves came out of that era.

1968 - 1977 (or 78 if we're fudging).

Peak Stones, Beatles, Aretha, Marvin & Motown. The Band. Sly and the Family Stone.

Plus Astral Weeks, Blood on the Tracks, Red Headed Stranger, Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, the Clash, Elvis Costello, Bowie...just a ridiculous amount of top quality music in most every genre.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1968 - 1977 (or 78 if we're fudging).

Peak Stones, Beatles, Aretha, Marvin & Motown. The Band. Sly and the Family Stone.

Plus Astral Weeks, Blood on the Tracks, Red Headed Stranger, Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, the Clash, Elvis Costello, Bowie...just a ridiculous amount of top quality music in most every genre.

All this plus 100% of zeppelin and the beginning of Van Halen.
  • Like 1

I assume we are doing this by album release.  I'm torn between 2.

66-76 you get Revolver, Are You Experienced and lose the Sex Pistols,  68-78 you lose Revolve , AYE. I'd probaby lean 68-78 because you still get great Beatles, peak Stones, Zep and Who, Sex Pistols, Hendrix, Queen, awesome funk, outlaw country, and you get......Prince and Van Halen.

84 to 94 was pretty dame good(very top heavy/great stuff with a bunch of awful).  68-78 to me is just more consistent.

edit to add outlaw country

Edited by dcar00