winning time: the rise of the lakers dynasty. hbo in march.

henrygandorf

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jason Clarke. Terrific actor. He’s had a steady movie career. Probably best known for playing Tommy Caffee on the Showtime series Brotherhood. 

To me his most memorable thing is Zero Dark Thirty. LOL every time I see him in anything all I can see/hear is "WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW BIN LADEN!!!!????"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

To me his most memorable thing is Zero Dark Thirty. LOL every time I see him in anything all I can see/hear is "WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW BIN LADEN!!!!????"

Zero Dark Thirty is one of those movies I can't not stop down to watch if I flip by and see that it's on. Should've won Best Picture that year. It's phenomenal.

Winning Time is so freakin' good. It's so good it has me rooting for the Los Angeles Fucking Laters for chrissakes!

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, 66BUFF said:

Ackroyd shows up in odd places.  I remember the 1st time I saw the We are the World video and was wondering why he is in the studio with all of the popular artists of the day.

Because Michael Jackson obviously was enchanted by his boyish charms.

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Zero Dark Thirty is one of those movies I can't not stop down to watch if I flip by and see that it's on. Should've won Best Picture that year. It's phenomenal.

Winning Time is so freakin' good. It's so good it has me rooting for the Los Angeles Fucking Laters for chrissakes!

i never watch movies, yet iirc i somehow saw three of the best picture nominees that year- django unchained, zero dark thirty, and argo. here are my reviews of each movie:

django- awesome 

zero dark thirty- awesome

argo- unbelievably boring, zero desire to watch a second time

guess which one won beat picture?

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i never watch movies, yet iirc i somehow saw three of the best picture nominees that year- django unchained, zero dark thirty, and argo. here are my reviews of each movie:

django- awesome 

Argo fuck yourself

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

django- awesome 

I liked Argo a lot. Have seen it several times since seeing it in the theater. But as you said Zero Dark Thirty and Django are better movies.

16 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

Ackroyd shows up in odd places.  I remember the 1st time I saw the We are the World video and was wondering why he is in the studio with all of the popular artists of the day.

"Totally by accident. My father and I were interviewing business managers in LA and we walked into this office of a talent manager, and realized we were in the wrong place. I was looking for a money manager, not a talent manager. I had managed myself at that time and always have. But he said, so long as you are here, would you like to come and join this "We are the World" thing.

I thought how do I fit in here? Well, we did sell a few million records with the Blues Brothers and in my other persona I am a musician, so I showed up and was a part of it but it was totally by accident."

Read More: The Story Of How Dan Aykroyd Ended Up In The ‘We Are The World’ Video Has A NH Connection | https://shark1053.com/the-story-of-how-dan-aykroyd-ended-up-in-the-we-are-the-world-video-has-a-nh-connection/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

django- awesome 

Agree that Zero Dark Thirty is awesome.

Django was fantastic, but I find it one of the least re-watchable Tarantino films (Hateful Eight being the least re-watchable for me).

Disagree strongly on Argo. It was a great piece of popular filmmaking, it just shouldn't have won Best Picture. Zero Dark Thirty should have.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Went down a Youtube rabbit hole and found Magic's first regular season game with the Lakers.  

The game was fine, especially Kareem's long skyhook at the buzzer for the winner, but the local Alabama commercials in this were quite the throwback.  And then in the 4th quarter, there was this bit of magnificence.

I give you Bungles the Clown.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Agree that Zero Dark Thirty is awesome.

Django was fantastic, but I find it one of the least re-watchable Tarantino films (Hateful Eight being the least re-watchable for me).

Disagree strongly on Argo. It was a great piece of popular filmmaking, it just shouldn't have won Best Picture. Zero Dark Thirty should have.

I had no issue with Argo winning Best Picture that year.  I would have been equally satisfied with Zero Dark Thirty.

4 hours ago, Deej said:

I loved the 80s Lakers. They played beautiful basketball. Once Showtime was over, I went back to hating them, even moreso once they got Kobe. 

I am similar except I hated them during the Showtime Era, hated them after the Showtime Era, hated them during the Shaq and Kobe Era, hated them during the Kobe and Gasol Era and hate them now during the Lebron Era.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Wow. Great episode. This show gets better and better.

One side note is that while I knew that Paula Abdul was a Laker Girl, I had no idea she was in the very first group.

(Looking on the Wikipedias, I don't think she was technically the "first" Laker Girl, as it stated in the show... it does say she was in the first group that was selected from a pool of like 700 girls, and within a year she was the head choreographer.) 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

One side note is that while I knew that Paula Abdul was a Laker Girl, I had no idea she was in the very first group.

(Looking on the Wikipedias, I don't think she was technically the "first" Laker Girl, as it stated in the show... it does say she was in the first group that was selected from a pool of like 700 girls, and within a year she was the head choreographer.) 

I had no idea either.  More liberties taken with the show that don't take away from the story, just fudging the timeline a bit 

• Hook 'Em 1

I love this show but it does play a little loose with actual events. For instance, in the season opener vs the Clippers Kareem told Jack McKinney that the game would slow down in the fourth and he’d get his 30 points and 10 rebounds. He then hits the game-winning shot and McKinney looks at the stat sheet and is like, I’ll be damned — he had 30 and 10 just like he said he would. In reality, he had 29 and 10.

#derka’ed

(Again, great show. I never knew about the McKinney story and his tragic bike accident. I’ve read the Prologue for Showtime and it’s about Jeff Pearlman and his meeting McKinney to get stories for the book and McKinney is just not all there. Sad.)
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/2/2022 at 11:57 AM, Deej said:

I loved the 80s Lakers. They played beautiful basketball. Once Showtime was over, I went back to hating them, even moreso once they got Kobe. 

Same... I really started hating the Lakers when it was evident the league was trying slant the Western Division in the 90's towards them for TV ratings.  It all came to a head one season  when the league went all out and ousted the Spurs in the playoffs with officiating that not even some Laker kool aid drinkers in the media could defend. Really since then I've cared less about the NBA.  Everyone wants to talk about how pro sports is rigged and some of the evidence is there to support conspricy theories in each pro league.   With  the NBA it's in your face.  

• Like 1

BTW, don't know if it's been discussed here yet, but the guy playing Kareem is a super interesting dude.

His name is Solomon Hughes....he's 6'11" and played college basketball for Cal-Berkley. He earned both his undergrad and Masters from Cal. He also has a PhD from the University of Georgia in Higher Education.

His main job before landing this acting gig (his first) was as a guest lecturer on higher education at Stanford.  He was also a Harlem Globtrotter for a while.

I mean... could they have found a more perfect person to play Kareem?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1