2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I am soooooooooo fucking sick of that HEB commercial already.  3 more days of it might do me in.  

Or try living without HEB...

Wish I had local HEB commercials to bitch about.

Enjoying this game, bigtime.

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Meh, I'll stick with the GATA we had in high school

Mart is the Yankees of 2A-DII.  Some of their fans on chat boards are mouthy AF.

I like seeing the schools that shouldn't have a chance giving them hell.

Edited by slorch

Let's see how fucking mouthy John Garrett can be now.  LOlz.

To be fair, wasn't convinced until it went below 3 minutes on the game clock.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Mart needs to quit fucking around on offense and just give the ball to #2.  

2A football doesn't need to be complicated.

It wasn't complicated.  Albany's OL took over in the 2nd half.  One fucking Senior on their OL is incredible.

There will be no rest for Region 2 next year, either.

7 hours ago, TexPx said:

When Tim Buchanan graduated from high school in 1979, the University Interscholastic League had six classifications for football — Class 4A through Class B for the 11-man game and another classification for six-man.

Nothing has changed today except for the names of the classifications — 6A through 1A — and the fact that there are now split divisions within those classifications.

That’s despite the fact that Texas has grown from a population of 13.8 million in 1979 to an estimated 29.9 million in 2022. That number should grow to more than 35 million by 2032, according to projections by the Texas Demographic Center. But will the UIL have stepped out of its comfort zone and created a Class 7A or even an 8A?

“We haven’t added a classification [since the early 1970s], and we’ve doubled the population of the state of Texas in that time,” Buchanan said. “Adding classifications is way overdue in Texas. I think we should have added a couple of them a long time ago.”

Buchanan has had plenty of success in the current format, winning seven state titles as the head coach at Aledo. His Class 5A school has won 10 state titles in all — most in UIL history — but he doesn’t like a system where enrollments for Class 6A schools range from 2,225 (Garland Naaman Forest) to 7,102 (Allen).

To take its place, he proposes something radical.

“The largest 32 schools should be in an 8A class,” Buchanan said. “That would leave a little over 1,200 schools to make up seven classifications. This would put approximately 172 schools per classification. The current average number of schools per division in classes 1A to 5A is 99.”

Texas is a giant state that covers nearly 270,000 square miles, so travel is always a concern when looking for new ways to realign schools. Buchanan’s plan could help solve those issues, as most of the state’s largest schools reside in two major metropolitan areas — Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston.

As The Dallas Morning News projects the landscape of D-FW high school football in 2032, it is important to note that many coaches would like to see change. They want a more even playing field, one where schools aren’t competing against opponents two and three times their size.

They are tired of David vs. Goliath matchups.

I still like my solution better, which is to tell schools there’s an enrollment cap if you want to play in the playoffs. Most of these monster schools have two campuses anyway, you’re not really adding a burden. If you want a 4k high school, fine, you just aren’t eligible for playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’ve essentially lost 10 coin flips in a row at this point. There simply has to be a correction coming.

a lightning bolt, more like it. J/K

The idea of a reverse parlay is fascinating though, regardless of the sport.